Saturday Morning Update

Sorry folks, but I've got to be brief today.

Sergei Fedorov, Matt Cooke, Brooks Laich opted not to practice. All three, however, are expected to play tomorrow afternoon against Boston.

John Erskine (undisclosed injury) did not practice and is out. Cristobal Huet, meantime, is expected to start against the Bruins, who host Philadelphia today. The Caps began the day three points behind the eighth-place Flyers and four behind the Bruins, so you can bet they'll be watching the game with great interest.

My story for tomorrow's Post will focus on Laich, who tallied twice in last night's 4-1 win over Atlanta. He now has 10 goals in the past 12 games, and three career multiple goal games - all since Feb. 26th.

After last night's game, Laich dropped this gem of a quote: "If you want money, go to the bank. If you want bread, go to the bakery. If you want goals, go to the net."

That's it for now.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 15, 2008; 12:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kolzig In, Erskine Out, Lepisto Up
Next: Today's Lineup vs. Boston

Comments

First!

Posted by: RIT | March 15, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Who should we root for today to win in regulation?

PHI at BOS?
BUF at TOR?

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | March 15, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

That's an amazing quote by Laich. A definitely keeper.

Posted by: JMU | March 15, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Its slightly better if Boston and Toronto win. With a good streak they can catch any of them.

Posted by: Caps 423 | March 15, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I heard Laich say that - too funny! :-) He said he learned that when he was a kid and it has stuck with him. I like it.

I am cheering for Boston today (but not tomorrow!). I hope they get good and tired with a big win today so there is nothing left in the tank tomorrow.

Buffalo vs. Toronto?!? That's a tougher call ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 15, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Always cheer against those whiners in buffalo!

And RIT wins for being first! woo hoo! Go to 14th and U st NW and wait for your prize....

Posted by: Leeguru | March 15, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

If you want to beat the B's go to Oo-ay!

Posted by: kevbpgc | March 15, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

With, Ovie, Backstrom, and Greeny already ruining teams, and with Laich turning it on like crazy, and with even Semin and occasionally Fleischmann showing spurts of greatness, man, I really like the future of this team, guys. Hopefully we get our pickups to resign.

Posted by: ultra | March 15, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I will we rooting for the Bruins today and The Leafs tonight. It pains me to root fou the Leafs though. I live 40 mins outside of Toronto. And i am the biggest Leaf hater around. BUt I will do what I need to for the Caps to sneak in.

Posted by: Brad | March 15, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Bruins up 1-0 - end of first. Two fights already. I think the second and third will be interesting :D

Posted by: mauree | March 15, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I just think Laich read Tarik's chat and thought "Hey, if I hit 20 goals, I'll get a big raise, so I'll try to do that tonight."

Posted by: old time hockey | March 15, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

you need love, don't go no farther
just come on home with Brooks

He got to love somebody
He got to love somebody
He got to love somebody
Somebody gonna love Brooks.

Posted by: Muddy "aybee" Waters | March 15, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

The kids and I went to practice for the first time this AM.

Towards the end they were practicing breakaways at the far end. Huet made a good save on Ovie. Ovie threw his stick about 20 feet in the air. It clanged onto the ice.

When it was Ovie's turn next. He yelled "Hooo-aaay," and something I couldn't understand. He then skated in and about 20 feet out flipped the puck straight up in the air maybe 20 feet up. As it was coming down he reached his stick straight above Huet's head and tipped it. It landed behind Huet about an inch behind the goal line. It was really amazing. He got a big cheer from the people at that end of the ice.

Maybe he does stuff like that all the time in practice, but to a first timer it was awesome. It would have easily won him that freestyle event at the all-star game.

I really got a sense of how infectious his personality is. Joking with Olie one minute. The next skating intensely, shooting, trying to hit the upper right corner and being frustrated cause he hit the crossbar.

Posted by: Bubba | March 15, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Bruins tie the score with 28 seconds left. 2-2 about to go into overtime. no help from refs. yet

Posted by: Leeguru | March 15, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Darn it looks like the Bruins game will go OT. 26 seconds to go and the Bruins tied it.

Posted by: mauree | March 15, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

DAMN IT!!!! the Bruins Flyers game is going to overtime!!! can we say worst case scenario...

Posted by: DC FURY | March 15, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@Lee
Actually that last penalty was a BS call, and there was a non call for the BBs before that - they're favoring Philly right now.

Posted by: mauree | March 15, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

@mauree,

At least it goes to OT and they will be that much more tired tomorrow

Posted by: Leeguru | March 15, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Bruins win

Posted by: Leeguru | March 15, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Bruins won.

Posted by: mauree | March 15, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

@Lee
Well they got to be tired, at least emotionally. If our boys played like yesterday they should win.

Posted by: mauree | March 15, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

And Pronger suspended for 8 games. His haters will be happy (or maybe they asked for more lol).

Posted by: mauree | March 15, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

BOS/Philly...another 3 point games...no help there. BTW for those that have not seen it yet, Pronger got 8 games.

Posted by: Rich C | March 15, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru

Can you ship my prize to my dorm address at RIT?

Posted by: RIT | March 15, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

@RIT

Oh no! a smart kid!

Um, go stand on plymouth rock, at midnight, and pick up the box that floats in to you! That's your prize.

Now go study! Invent something!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 15, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

We didnt land on Plymouth Rock!...Plymouth Rock landed on us!

Posted by: Malcolm X | March 15, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru

Studying time over. It's party time....I'm about to head out to a college hockey game.

Semifinal is tonight...RIT vs. Air Force

wish us luck!

Let's Go Tigers and Caps!!

Posted by: RIT | March 15, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Good luck! Next year's frozen four is at the phone booth! hope you guys are there.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 15, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru

Yeah I know! I'm pretty excited about that.

Thanks! I hope we'll make it there too.

Posted by: RIT | March 15, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Now, go drink, get in trouble, and have unprotected sex with a coed you just met at your stats class! make us proud. post on it tomorrow.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 15, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru is a bad influence ... and Pronger is a naughty boy.

Bubba:
Thanks for the details - I would have loved to see that! It really is hard not to like Ovie ... not just for how he plays, but for who he is. I wonder how long it will be before he is wearing the "C"? Don't get me wrong, I love Chris Clark, but ya gotta wonder ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 15, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru

that was great, laughing my a$$ off. thanks for the funny. I guess you don't have teenage children!

Posted by: LOL | March 15, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

totally agree. major props to Clarkie, but OV will be the Captain in the near future. OV's English is much gooder...and he's got a few seasons under his belt. He's a natural born leader, via scoring, passing, hitting, effort, charisma, intensity, etc., etc., etc! another tuff decision for the Caps' upper management!
I think A LOT will be revealed...IF we make the p word.

Posted by: fullright | March 15, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

fullright:
Gooder ... that's funny! :-) I just love that he does not care - he says what he's gotta say and he feels good about it, regardless. And I love it when he says something is "sick" ... he just cracks me up!! As far as I'm concerned, gooder for him!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 16, 2008 2:11 AM | Report abuse

P.S. I am glad that he didn't take the "C" when he good have (i.e. when Clarkie did). He was just too young (frankly, I think Crosby taking it when he did was silly). Ovie showed a lot of maturity by basically saying he was too immature to take it, ya know?!? However, he's really stepped up as a leader since then. I'd say that he's just about ready ... but what do I know?!?

Posted by: Boo! | March 16, 2008 2:15 AM | Report abuse

*awaits the Sunday morning update*

sooooooooooo will Lepisto play? Will Clark be back on Tuesday/Wednesday?

Today is - of course - a huge game.

I envy all of you going to the game...

*raises his glass of milk* To the Caps!
And to Ottawa beating the Canes, and to ... arg I can't say it. Just hope Philly lose.
But mostly, to the Caps!

Posted by: mauree | March 16, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I seriously doubt Alex will get his 100 point today... he is due for a slump. Also, Huet will remain on his 2 game slide when he faces the toughest team in the league - the Boston Bruins. Looks like 3 "Ls" for Huet in a row.

If only the Caps were better - then they would make the playoffs.

As for Alex - he won't get 60... too much to handle at that age. And again, Backstrom will not get another multipoint game today... he has peaked already.

Posted by: 828 | March 16, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

BTW - there is no chance the Caps can beat the Bruins... no chance.

Posted by: 828 | March 16, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

@828
Couldn't agree more. Alex is so overrated, we should have let him go in February. Now our chances of playoffs are compromised for the next 10 years, let alone this year. Bruins will shut us out, Nicklas (another loser) will score on Huet again.

(I swear if this doesn't work I'll hate you forever :p )

Posted by: mauree | March 16, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

@828
That's not funny. You're obviously no fan of the Caps. Without Chara there to hound him, Ovechkin will be tentative and listless. Stop Caps Stop.

[hey, your plan hasn't been working and I don't know a good thing when I see it...]

Posted by: redlineblue | March 16, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Lepisto should play today since Erskine is still out. If I were Bruce I'd keep him in the lineup regardless. I've been impressed with him from the first moment I saw him and he's done nothing, but show that not only he can play in the NHL, but, I think, he can be a top 4 D-man, at least. He has high end offensive skills, his outlet passes are great and he plays well defensively also. In my opinion, he's already better than most of our current D-men. The way he dug that pass out of his skates and snapped a sweet wrister to the far corner in the game vs. Atlanta was awesome. Too bad it rang off the post. Regardless, that play showed just how good his offensive skills are. Ovie himself would have been proud of that play.

828 - Bruins are the toughest team in the NHL and we have no chance to beat them (10-2 last time we played ya at the booth). Thanks for the laugh. You won't get the home cooking type of officiating in Washington, bud. That's the only reason you beat us at the Garden in the last meeting. Who's your #1 goal scoring threat? Chuck Kobasew? Oh yeah, it's Chara (which already says a lot) and he's out.

Posted by: ranndino | March 16, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Forgot to mention last night's results. It all went wrong for us. The Bruins - Flyers game ending in OT was the worst case scenario and Buffalo beating Toronto sucked too, although on the other hand it finally put the nail in the Leafs coffin, so one less team for us to worry about.

I also didn't really get why the commentators were so happy that Carolina got killed by Buffalo during our last game. I hate to say it, but the chances of catching Carolina are slim and none. It would have been better for Carolina to beat Buffalo. Forget about Carolina. Our main competition for a playoff spot are now Boston, Philly, Buffalo and the Panthers. Speaking of Florida, what the hell got into them? 6 straight wins and they came back from 2-0 down to beat the Rangers in their last game.

The good news is that we've pretty much dominated every opponent for the past month. We've lost games against the run of play, as they say in soccer. With a bit more luck there's no reason we can't get on a long winning streak ourselves.

Posted by: ranndino | March 16, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Forgot to mention Pronger's case. It's not about being a Pronger hater. It's about the NHL setting a precedent for the type of offense he committed and then chickening out of administering the same punishment for an exactly the same act for a star player.

The explanation that Pronger's offense was different and is not as bad as what Simon did is the biggest load of crock. It doesn't matter what Kesler was doing. The fact is that Pronger stomped on his leg, which is exactly what Simon did to Ruutu. The act of stomping had absolutely nothing to do with the act of freeing himself from Kesler's foot squeeze. At that point Pronger already freed himself and could have just skated away, but he elected to stomp on a prone player.

I think that Simon's 30 game suspension was too long, but since it set a precedent and Pronger's actions were exactly the same he should have been suspended for the exact same amount of time, which would be devastating to Anaheim because he would be gone for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs. Pronger's suspensions during last season's playoffs were a complete joke. He put players out of the playoffs with serious head injuries and got 1 game for each. Absolutely ludicrous. He now feels like he's untouchable and can do whatever he pleases. No one can punish him on the ice because he's just too big and tough (it's not like someone can kick his ass) and the league doesn't have the balls to nail him with a suspension that matters.

Simon is 100% right to say that there is a total double standard.

Posted by: ranndino | March 16, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

ranndino:
WARNING!!! 828 is, uh, well, kidding (for lack of a better term). He has found that when he's been less than optimisitic, we have won, so lately he has put it into overdrive! Therefore, please disregard ... or do like others do and join in!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 16, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

This is the first post on the next thread before anyone else can post

Posted by: Anonymous | March 16, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

This is the first post in this thread after someone said "This is the first post on the next thread before anyone else can post".

/endsmartass

Posted by: mauree | March 16, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to get to the phone booth. This is my last regular season game I can make. Stupid April business trip

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 16, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Good Afternoon everyone! Time to throw a rock at the 'ol hornets nest. Besides O.V. ya got NUTHIN'!!! Ollie and Huet are average at best. Backstrom's just a kid and Fedorov's washed up. Semin's made of glass, you'll be mentioning his name right after Martin Havlat in a couple of years. You better lock up Green'er before he gets an offer as a restricted FA. You'll have a tough time catching the Sabres, let alone Carolina, Philly, or Boston. Give it up! Its done! You know I'm right! You KNOW it!

Posted by: capssuck'08 | March 16, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Is anybody watching the Pens-Flyer games? Pens up 2-0, big hit/fight by Cote.
Malkin is good... wonder how much they'll offer him next year. I think he's more valuable to the Pens than Crosby.

Posted by: mauree | March 16, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"Malkin is good" Wow,understatement of the year right there. Did you get your mom and dad to help you figure that one out???

Posted by: capssuck'08 | March 16, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@828,

Will be at the game today and I must say there is no chance of wings.

Posted by: Steve R | March 16, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

hey look! a troll :)
*crocodile hunter voice*
louk at eet, crawling oout its rock

Posted by: mauree | March 16, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@capssuck'08

Try getting a life instead of trying to get through your day insulting Caps!

Posted by: elicea | March 16, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Thats all you've got Caps-Nation??? Where's the passion? Where's the fire???

Posted by: capssuck'08 | March 16, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

@elicea
Pretty name by the way.
Getting through my day is more fun this way. Working on Sundays is no fun at all. What does my life have to do with posting on a blog? If you're saying I have no life because I'm posting on a blog, then you're saying the same about yourself...as you're reading and posting on this blog as well.

Posted by: capssuck'08 | March 16, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks.... Never said anything about posting on blogs. Just said find a better way of spending your time, than insulting my Caps.

Posted by: elicea | March 16, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Elicea,
You're quite welcome.
In that case, we might be at an impasse...I'm having too much fun to quit cold turkey at this point.
Isn't "better" an arbitrary word? Your idea of "better" probably isn't the same as my idea of "better".
My best friend of 11 years is a lifelong Caps fan, so I've watched many many of your games, and pulled for you more often than not. That being said, I've had lots of practice going back and forth with Caps fans...it just soooo much fun!

Posted by: capssuck'08 | March 16, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Boy is it painful rooting for the Pens....the enemy of my enemy is my friend...that makes it 3-0....funny how the pens play so well without cindy

Posted by: Rich C | March 16, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@elicea
Even though it can be an interesting creature... please don't feed the troll.

Posted by: mauree | March 16, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@Rich C
I know, they seem to do better w/o.

Posted by: mauree | March 16, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

hey mauree...at least elicea's got the stones to stand up for herself, say what she believes, and stick up for her team. LOL.
Best of luck to you tonight Caps!

"Dave's a killer!"
"Dave's a mess!"
Any of you hosers know what movie that line's from?

Posted by: capssuck'08 | March 16, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Ovie > Malkin > Crosby

Posted by: elicea | March 16, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@elicea
No doubts about it. That's why I wonder about his contract - will they match Crosby's?

Posted by: mauree | March 16, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@troll

i hate to feed you, but the line's from Slapshot. And, to everyone, if you haven't seen the movie, you're not a hockey fan!

Posted by: fullright | March 16, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks fullbright, at least there's ONE person with some hockey culture in here!
mmm...yummy troll food. HA HA HA HA (its supposed to sound evil, but i don't know how'd one would type that)

Posted by: capssuck'08 | March 16, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@capssuck'08...

Slapshot. And you're going to look like a major idiot when the Caps are consistently playoff contenders for the next several years. I agree with Elicea, why don't you just watch them work instead of saying how bad they are??

Posted by: nat | March 16, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

"When it was Ovie's turn next. He yelled "Hooo-aaay," and something I couldn't understand. He then skated in and about 20 feet out flipped the puck straight up in the air maybe 20 feet up. As it was coming down he reached his stick straight above Huet's head and tipped it. It landed behind Huet about an inch behind the goal line. "

If you want to see video of it... click this link

Posted by: KingClancy | March 17, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse