Posted at 2:13 PM ET, 11/30/2010

Get to know new Caps defenseman Scott Hannan

By Lindsay Applebaum
undefined

Scott Hannan (Getty Images)

Here's a quick rundown on Scott Hannan, the durable defenseman acquired from Colorado in exchange for forward Tomas Fleischmann:

*From the Caps' news release, some basics:

Hannan, 31, is an 11-year NHL veteran who has played for Colorado and the San Jose Sharks. The 6'1", 225-pound defensive defenseman has played 775 career games, recording 30 goals, 150 assists, 456 penalty minutes and a +22 rating. This season Hannan has six assists and a +1 rating while playing all 23 games for the Avalanche.
Hannan has played at least 71 games in each of his 11 pro seasons, including 97.2% of the games since he made the NHL full-time in 2000-01. He has averaged 18:37 of ice time per game this season and 22:02 per game in the course of his career. His teams have made the playoffs eight times in 10 seasons prior to this one, playing a total of 73 playoff games.

*George McPhee's comments are here.

*Scored a B- on his Denver Post "report card" from the 2009-10 season (also: used to have really goofy-looking hair). Columnist Adrian Dater wrote:

Hannan had 67 hits in his 81 games. He was billed as a physical D-man when he came to Denver. You can't call Hannan "soft" at all. But, again, there's an element of "Is that all there is?"
He did block 144 shots, second most on the team. And I thought he played pretty well in the playoffs. He was a plus-3 in the six games and played hard.
Again, he's a nice guy to have on a team, a reliable D-man in many respects. But has he been worth every penny of his big contract? I don't think it's unfair to have reservations about that.

*Dater summed it up today like this: "He seemed more like your basic ham-and-egger type of player, but with a filet mignon contract."

*He may or may not be called the "Minister of Defense."

*He likes wakeboarding and has a "surfer-dude mentality," writes Justin Bourne (in July 2009):

Scott Hannan, a Kelowna resident, genuinely claimed that he stopped doing leg workouts a few summers back, because wakeboarding was his new workout. I know it's a leg burn, but it isn't squatting 315 pounds 12 times.
The guy consistently showed up to skate minutes before we went out, fully equipped with his crazy long hair, uber-summer tan, and surfer-dude mentality. Kinda strikes me as more of a "minus-five SPF-oil guy" than the "concerned-about-melanoma's type".

Stay tuned for more from Hannan, who will join reporters on a conference call in a few minutes.

By Lindsay Applebaum  | November 30, 2010; 2:13 PM ET
Categories:  Scott Hannan, Tomas Fleischmann
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McPhee: Scott Hannan 'completes our defense'
Next: Scott Hannan expects to 'fit in right away' with Caps

Comments

@BigGameSid the videos speak for themselves.

By the way look at these two and compare.

Tell me that they are different. This isn't the first time Crosby has stuck his foot out at people either http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9eaECfK8F8. Now that isn't a slew foot like the announcers say but it is still a dangerous play.

I am an Ovechkin fan and I will admit he will make some dangerous plays as well I just wish the league and the media would treat Crosby the same way they treat Ovechkin instead of trying to make him look like all that is good and pure when he doesn't play that way especially when he is losing in a game. I don't blame him either. I think it is good he doesn't like losing but I think treating him like he doesn't play with a little dirty streak is getting old.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 30, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the great info Lindsay. Where would we be without your updates (though the last one was credited to Katie)?

Posted by: MReilly9 | November 30, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

We don't have a shutdown defenseman? Why does everybody forget Jeff Schultz? Do you have any idea how many goals that guy saves?

He may very well be the Capitals most valuable player.

Posted by: FergusonFoont

I am a schultz fan, but he has been on ice for virtually every GA these past few weeks...not sure whats up with him.

Posted by: capscoach | November 30, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Let's not sell ourselves a bill of goods that we are getting a shot down defensemen, not unless Hannan really turns his play around.
The reason for this trade is that BB no longer saw Falsh as an asset and GMGM wants to ensure that MaJo develops rapidly to his full potential by accrued ice time and responsibility.
Hannan was a 6-7 defensemen on a marginal team whose performance has markedly deteriorated in the last few years.
It's a good trade for Avs and in the aforementioned context, not a bad move by GMGM although nothing that will influence the our team's outcome this season either way.

Posted by: atybat | November 30, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I just can't wipe the grin off my face and I think it has more to do with Flush being gone than having another dman in the fold!

Posted by: PhilR | November 30, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I bet Hannan steps it up with us...we are an exciting team, he is getting older and now has a shot at the cup, and he's got a bunch of kids to mentor.

He is a HUGE step up from Sloan...so yay!

Posted by: capscoach | November 30, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

The trade today was another part of the NHL conspiracy... it got us off the topic of favoritism towards crosby.

Posted by: griz0615 | November 30, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Hannan's one I could never quite figure out - I do remember him playing Forsberg very tough that playoffs, and in era, that was indeed a very tough assignment to draw. Which he seemed to handle well, or at least as well as could be expected.

BUT: I watched him a fair amount in his time at CO early on, and was not overly impressed. I'm not sure if he's lost a step, or what - but he definitely was, by no means, any type of "shutdown d-man." Not by a long shot. Whoever compared him to Lidstrom above, in any way shape or form, has clearly never seen the guy play. At least against good competition, he usually seems a half-step behind the play.

Now, some of this could be mitigated if he's paired with a Green or Carlson, someone who can really move, I suppose.

Around the league, I have to think other GMs must be wondering if that really was the best GMGM could get for a young, proven point producer, even if they don't say so publicly.

And Flash will by no means be counted to carry the sole offensive load in CO, whoever said that - ever heard of Paul Stastny? Or Hejduk, Duchesne. Or Liles.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@coveredwithhisdust

I understand where you're coming from. I wouldn't be vastly opposed to that and it is one way to go. I do think Hannan paired with Carlson would likely be a very good pairing.

My train of thought is

First, I think that Alzner is better than Schulz.

Second, Carlson is more physical than Green and does not need as big of a physical presence with him. Hannan is more physical than Alzner. Both are good positionally and both are left handed.

Therefore, I think having Hannan, with his positioning and physicality, would be a very good compliment for Green.

I also think Alzner and Carlson compliment each other perfectly, and the chemistry they have built up playing with each other for so long is important. I love that BB is using Carlson/Alzner as the D-pair to match against opposing teams top lines. IMO, I think it will be the Caps overall defensive pair by the end of the season.

Then having Hannan/Green as your 1a D-pairing taking more offensive zone faceoffs, would be great.

Then having Poti and Schulz putting in 15 minutes as a 3rd pairing D would also bring down the minutes of the other D men.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Good finds, icehammer. I'm not saying Ovie's a Lady Bing candidate or anything [obviously] but it's the disparate treatment of him and Crosby that is so galling; a slew-foot's one of the dirtiest plays in hockey and all we get from the Sidney-apologists is...crickets.

And ftr, Ovie certainly plays on the edge, but I've never seen him slew-foot anybody. Never. But I'm sure Don "Grapes" Cherry will be all over Sidney for this one.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Blog site for the Avalanche would be nice to get their fans reaction to this trade. Anyone have a link?

Posted by: PhilR | November 30, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 30, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR:
HFBoards.com, Colorado's site, their post about the trade:

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 30, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat | November 30, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Cool, thanks guys.

Posted by: PhilR | November 30, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are lucky enough to have talented forwards at positions to support a trade for Fleischmann.

Fleischmann, 26, wasn't going to be resigned here for 2011, not with Semin needing to be inked to a new deal.

Fleischmann was a bargain on his current deal last year but a sharp increase in pay I don't think will produce a sharp rise in productivity.

The other thing is Fleischmann seemed caught in a numbers game. The Caps really needed him to work out at center on the second line but he wasn't comfortable there.

The team drafted Marcus Johansson and he appears to be the future #2 center behind Backstrom.

Is Hannan worth a 20-25 goal scorer?

On a team that scores 300 goals my first answer would be 'yes'.

Hannan joins Carlson, Alzner and Erskine as guys who look to be solid in their own end first (although Carlson and Alzner are still learning the NHL).

If Hannan can move a Briere or Plekanec from in front of the net in the playoffs consistently he will be worth the trade, even if he doesn't fit into the team's long-term plans.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | November 30, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

TRADE THOUGHTS:
What else is there to say but a good job by McPhee to pull this trade off. It's obvious they liked Hannan and had sometime to see how he was doing in Colorado the first couple of months - since the team had interest going back as far as August.

Hannan might be slower but his focus is on the shot blocking and clearing out in front of the net in the defensive zone. We don't need him to be an offensive production machine. With all the salary too - it works - at the end of his deal and I could see the Caps resign this guy going forward. At 31 - he still has plenty left in the tank. I remember him from his days in San Jose. Welcome to the team Scotty.

FLEISCHMANN: Part of me wants to say good riddance but honestly it's more about best of luck. Flash has more potential but he has such trouble finishing his opportunities when he gets them. Case in point - the other night against Carolina - he had a chance early in the game and can't bury it. He's been the one Cap consistently that I see get golden opportunities and he can't finish. Here's to hoping a change of scenery nets different results for him.

A solid trade that should benefit both teams.

And to think there's no game today. Such a tragedy.

DROP THE DAMN PUCK IN ST. LOUIS ALREADY.

ICE BREAKERS GOAL SHAKERS

Posted by: Jonathan6 | November 30, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"If Hannan can move a Briere..from in front of the net " - RoyHobbs4

Uh....I am pretty sure I can move a Briere. Let's raise the bar a little higher. :)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 30, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Here is a look at Hannan on the PK when he was back in SJ:

Posted by: ThePat | November 30, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

The big question is whether he can adapt to the East style of player quick enough. Some defensemen have trouble adapting to a new conference, for at least a year ie., Andrew Alberts, Brian Campbell.

Posted by: BigGameSid | November 30, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

i'm happy to see Flash go, and I think we got good return in Hannan. That said, he's not the d-man many of us covet; don't hold your breath for him to bring the physical game and "keep the crease clear" on a consistent basis (6 fights in 775 regular season games; not exactly the signs of a tough, physical d-man who is confrontational and difficult to play against)....instead of sitting Erskine all the time, I hope BB rotates the 7 evenly (assuming Sloan is done, for all intents and purposes)

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 30, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

if you add Shultz and Poti, then divide by 2, you get Hannan.....not a bad pickup, but nobody will confuse us w/Philly's d-corps (Pronger, O'Donnell, Meszaros, Walker....all tough, mean sob's)

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 30, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

When I pointed out Hannan's footspeed [or lack thereof] it had nothing to do with offense - in fact I think speed is a hugely underrated part of good defense. Not speed, 'end-to-end, Bobby Orr/ Pavel Bure' which few guys have anyway, but practical, hockey game-speed - the first two-three steps, where a guy explodes to hole to win the puck, beat the opponent, etc. Zach Parise, Vlad Konstantinov, Kimmo Timonen, Toews, Hossa, Kane, etc. Scott Hannan does not seem to have this burst, or quickness or whatever you want to call it.

In the clutch-and-grab era, he was pretty effective; in today's game, I'm not convinced he's able to reach that level of effectiveness. Hopeful, but not convinced.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

It's almost time for the market to close people...time buy up that Esskay Hot Dog and Kraft Nacho Cheese Sauce stock ASAP. With the new d-man coming in, Sloan's going to be busy....in the press box.

Tom, nows your chance to make up some of those losses from earlier. =)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 30, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Picking up anybody to move Sloan to 8th d-man is a great move. Goodbye Fahey, I hope you have a coaching job lined up. This will move Erskine to the 7th d-man. IMO BB will rotate Poti out of the lineup some in an attempt to keep him healthy. In fact expect anybody with a ding to sit (it will be nice to give Green some rest before the playoffs). Flash didn't fit in the Caps plans and sucked in the playoffs. Good luck to him with the Avs.
GOOD TRADE GMGM.

Posted by: chriscaps | November 30, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

This move was as much about providing depth behind Poti (who still didn't look 100% to me on Friday despite his goal) and to provide another physical defenseman. I don't see BB breaking up either the Schultz-Green pairing, but Alzner has been shaky even when paired with Carlson. I think that GMGM and BB both realize that a solid veteran defenseman will be needed on both the second and third pairing. Hannan may well be paired with Carlsson at time and Poti with Alzner, or vice-versa.

Regard Flash, it was pretty obvious that he had no long-term future with the Caps after the playoffs. If Johannson had been healthy and playing at his current level earlier in the season, this trade might have happened even sooner. From a salary cap aspect, this is a good move for the Avs who who get rid the remaining $3.1M of Hannan's contract and the Caps have no obligation beyond this year without hurting there available cap room very much.

I like the trade and think that Hannan will have more time to develop chemistry with our current defenseman as well as providing some much-needed depth.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 30, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping to get a bigger Dman, more of a hulking physical presence. Still feel we need that type of guy, but they don't grow on trees. This trade give Caps plenty of time to see what they've got here, & make another move later if need be. And Flash was done here, so it cost nothing (except money). All in all, good move to get another piece of the puzzle. Go Caps!

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | November 30, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Just read comment about Philly's D-men, & couldn't agree more. We definitely need to get MEANER before the playoffs start!

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | November 30, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't one of the players or refs in Slapshot or Youngblood named Hannan? Whatever, can't be worse than having Flash for another playoff run. To all of you who thought Flash was BB's untouchable boy, oops...

Posted by: kkd76 | November 30, 2010 12:52 PM

@kkd76:

Fanohock1 is right...mostly. The chief villain in Youngblood was "Racki" (sp?); OTOH, "Hanrahan" was an opposing goaltender in Slap Shot who went ballistic after Paul Newman's character kept repeating to him that his estranged wife had "switched sides"...

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 30, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

sorry I know this is about Hannan but I have to react to: Schultz is a shutdown D & MVP, where's the punchline? He's a stonecold bust, esp @ $3mm/yr & this season has been his worst of all, capscoach the reason it seems like he's been on the ice for all of our GA lately is that he has, it's not an illusion, I've never understood what mgt see's in him, he's passive, never takes body and much to slow to react in his own zone, never wins corner battles or loose pucks, the only good play I can rem him making was last season's stretch pass to spring Ovi on a breakaway goal, forget the game.

As for our physical D he's in hershey named Souray, I hope McPhee has the sense to make that deal, I'll admit he's past his prime and has bad wrists but Edmont would help w/ his salary, he's EXACTLY what we need on D (GMGM).

Posted by: collegehockeyfan | November 30, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse