Posted at 1:46 PM ET, 11/30/2010

McPhee: Scott Hannan 'completes our defense'

By Katie Carrera

Throughout Coach Bruce Boudreau's tenure, critics have often cited the Capitals' need for a veteran, shut-down type of defenseman. By acquiring Scott Hannan in a trade that sent Tomas Fleischmann to the Colorado Avalanche, General Manager George McPhee said the Capitals have made "the perfect addition" to the already existing defensive group.

"He's at the point in his career where he's been in the league a long time and wants to win a [Stanley] Cup, and I think it completes our defense," McPhee said. "We're really happy with the way our defense has been playing, but to add one more guy like this helps. Our defense moves the puck pretty well -- we can generate offense from back there -- but to have one more shut-down guy that can block shots, that can do all the little things that would make a difference, we thought was important to add."

Hannan, 31, brings added experience to the Washington blueline, having played 775 career NHL regular season games to trail only Tom Poti (795) on the Capitals roster. He also has plenty of playoff experience both with the Avalanche and in his previous tenure with the San Jose Sharks.

Hannan is in the final season of a four-year, $18 million contract and the Capitals will have a salary cap hit of $3,193,548 for the remainder of his deal this season, according to capgeek, which also lists the Capitals' remaining space under the salary cap at $2,372,859 -- plenty of room to make a deal before or at the trade deadline if necessary.

"We're in good shape" with the salary cap, said McPhee, who added that the Capitals have been in discussions about acquiring Hannan since August.. "As I've said many times, we've managed our cap really well and it allows us to do a deal like this. He has an expensive contract but we have the room to do it."

Hannan waived a no-trade clause in order for the move to take place. While that condition moves with him to Washington, McPhee said that with this being the final year of Hannan's contract, it wasn't an issue.

More to come.

By Katie Carrera  | November 30, 2010; 1:46 PM ET
Categories:  George McPhee, Scott Hannan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps trade Tomas Fleischmann to Colorado for defenseman Scott Hannan
Next: Get to know new Caps defenseman Scott Hannan

Comments

What is this? Jerry McGuire?

Posted by: saintex | November 30, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Katie, katie. "Cited". We are such a bunch of whiners!

Posted by: saintex | November 30, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Love this trade. We can thank the Bruins for this gift. Since they were over the cap, they sent Hudwick to the Avs and Hannah became "expendabe". Great trade GMGM.

Posted by: jake81 | November 30, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Canadian for a Euro ....what a great trade

Posted by: wendel2 | November 30, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

When should we expect to see Hannan in the lineup, tomorrow?

Posted by: griz0615 | November 30, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I bet GMGM will resign Hannan bec, IMHO I see Sloan, Poti, Erskine might not be resigned traded or released. Can anyone enlighten me on how long their(see above) contracts are now?

Posted by: robostop10 | November 30, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"He's at the point in his career where he's been in the league a long time and wants to win a [Stanley] Cup and I think it completes our defense"

he really thinks this guy completes the defense?

he would be happy with the pathetic group he put together. i'm surprised he didn't say - this is the guy we targeted all along

"We're in good shape it [with the salary cap]"

even a blind squirrel ...

this team is doomed until gmgm is gone

just for those that really miss cstanton1...

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 30, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Great trade for our purposes this year - Hannan is a clear upgrade from Sloan/Fahey, and that's the main point. We traded from a surplus area (wingers) to address a deficit (NHL-caliber defensive d-men). The Sharks are my "other" team and I was bummed when they let him get signed away. Anyway, as Tom said earlier, he definitely wouldn't have left Eric Staal upright on his skates in the last 5 seconds of Sunday's game.

I think pairing him with Poti is probably good (Poti's more of a puck mover) and won't disrupt the other pairings much. On the other hand, hopefully Erskine gets rotated in frequently, which he certainly should given his play this year.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | November 30, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Poti has 2 more years, Sloan one more, Erks is UFA.

Posted by: saintex | November 30, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

When should we expect to see Hannan in the lineup, tomorrow?

Posted by: griz0615 | November 30, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

They said they might have him just watch the first game to get a feel for the system so he can have a practice or two as well. He might be able to give some scouting advice for our guys since we don't play the Blues much (as well as DJ King).

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 30, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

keep shipping out the Euros!!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | November 30, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I knew it would happen today while I was in a meeting! I really like the looks of this trade as he is a legit top 4 guy. Last year of his contract makes it even more attractive and the best part is no more Flush in a Caps sweater!!!!

Posted by: PhilR | November 30, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Canadian for a Euro ....what a great trade

Posted by: wendel2

please tell me you are joking and not a completely arrogant person!

Posted by: capscoach | November 30, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wendel2 | November 30, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Great trade for the Caps. You cannot measure the value of Scott Hannan by his statistics. These words describe Hannan: steady, calm yet decisive, positionally superb, smart. Not a bruiser, but physical ... especially in the corners when trying to win the puck. Used by both Sharks and Avs in two ways: [1] shut down defenseman against the opponent's top forwards and [2] steady and positionally sound D-partner for young, break-in defensemen. He was paired with Vlasic in San Jose and Quincey in Colorado to help those guys get acclimated while covering for their mistakes. My two cents: do not be surprised if Hannan is paired with Carlson and they get tons of minutes against our opponents' top lines. This will allow Carlson to develop with a steady, positionally-sound partner to cover for him if he gets caught out of position.

Posted by: coveredwithhisdust | November 30, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

OK, is there any word on Hershey call-ups? Am I going to get my wish and see AGordon get his shot at the big time??!!

Posted by: PhilR | November 30, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Sloan is a UFA in 2012 (this yr and next @ $700/k) hit

Erskine is a UFA in 2011 (last yr @ 1.25m cap hit)

Poti was just resigned, and has this yr at $3.5m, followed by two extension yrs at $2.875m per season cap hit.

Posted by: netminder71 | November 30, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

As for Hannan, decent move I guess. A little too pricy for a defensive dman with 0 offensive capabilities @ 4mil+ per year. Lets see how he adjusts to the more offensive-oriented style of the East.

Posted by: BigGameSid | November 30, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@wendel

I really hate those prejudiced comments that all Euro players have no heart or work ethic...it's not true.

I get that Euro players are often times less physical, but lets not generalize...especially in a negative way.

Posted by: capscoach | November 30, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

@coveredwithhisdust

I think Hannan might be paired with Green. He would seem to compliment Green very well and it could be useful to have a more physical defenseman, who is also positionally sound to play with Green.

I do not think you break up Alzner and Carlson. Like you said, Carlson needs a steady, positionally sound partner. That is exactly who Alzner is.

Then you have Schulz and Poti as the 3rd pairing D. A very good 3rd pairing D. With Erskine as the 7th D, and the way Erskine has played this year, he is a solid D-man to have as your 7th D-man.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Waive Sloan/keep Erskine, and have Fahey as back up. Spend Sloan's 700 g elsewhere.

Posted by: AADCDERM | November 30, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

So, reading everything I can get my hands on, I gather Hannon's been reliable, durable, steady, a leader/great locker room presence, great shot blocker, plenty of playoff experience, who landed himself an extraordinary contract but has tailed off in recent years. I'd expect new scenery to be a good thing here (as it might be for Flash).

He may not be as gritty or fast as we'd like, but it sounds like he's got a ton of characteristics that will bode well in the playoffs.

Posted by: Justafan | November 30, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

At this point Sloan almost certainly will be waived to make room for another forward, they should not and I do not think GMGM will carry 8 dmen. Bring up AGordon or Beagle please!

Posted by: PhilR | November 30, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

So like most people here, I do not know a whole lot about this guy. It looks like he was 7th in average time on ice for the Avs. D men. Any idea why its so low. 31 isn't old but has he lost a step? Does he not fit into the current Avs system?

Posted by: chatton | November 30, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

i can now give up on my dream of creating a CI id of: wtf_t_flash

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 30, 2010 1:38 PM

Be ye not discouraged...

wtf_m_knuble

...is there for the taking.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 30, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I think Hannan's value will really come to the surface when Poti inevitably injures himself again...and I think Green might be missing some time over the next month to let whatever is bothering him heal...remember what it was like when we had Sloan AND Fahey in the line up.

And defensive Playoff experience is a MUST!

Posted by: capscoach | November 30, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I gotta think we'll see Hannan Thursday. Can't wait.

Posted by: Justafan | November 30, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Yawn....Hannan has steadily declined in the last three years. He is not even in the top 50 defensemen in hits or blocked shots this year and Hannan is someone who plays regularly in SH situation. I watch the Avs regularly and Hannan is very unremarkable, average first pass, average mobility, uses his big body seldomely. I think that Avs have made a big trade. Hannan is a more expensive version of Erskine, at best.

Posted by: atybat | November 30, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Thanks for your comments. You make some good points and I would not be surprised to see your pairings become reality.

Here are a few additional thoughts. Pairing Hannan with Carlson would give us a very strong 2nd pairing that would match up against the opponents' top lines -- e.g., the Crosby line, the Briere line (who I seem to recall is due some payback from Hannan for a past crosscheck to the face), the Stamkos line, etc. This would free up Green-Schultz to play in support of the Backstrom-OV line (which usually draws the opponents' best D-forwards.

With all respect, I also believe that Hannan is far more experienced and accomplished than Alzner at this point. Hannan will allow Carlson to develop and expand his game. Alzner allows Carlson to continue to play as he does now. Hannan will also log 20-25 minutes per game come playoff time. He's the guy you want paired with Carlson as we prepare for the playoff run.

Poti-Alzner would be the 3rd pair receiving about 12-15 minutes of ice time per game. Johnny E is a more-than-capable 7th D-man who will spell Alzner and fill in as there are injuries.

Posted by: coveredwithhisdust | November 30, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

WTF APPROVES THIS TRADE!

GO CAPS!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 30, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@atybat

virtually every columnist disagrees with you...

they all seem to be saying that he is VERY positionally sound, blocks shots, great locker room guy, and will fit in very well with the caps.

Sure he is overpaid...but honestly I don't care so long as he helps the team...and we gave up a guy we didn't need and most people didn't want...so we didn't lose anything that will affect our offesnse.

Posted by: capscoach | November 30, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

new thread

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 30, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@atybat,Scott Hannan would have led the Caps in blocked shots each of the last four seasons

Posted by: Justafan | November 30, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

We don't have a shutdown defenseman? Why does everybody forget Jeff Schultz? Do you have any idea how many goals that guy saves?

He may very well be the Capitals most valuable player.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | November 30, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

chatton - although hannan is 7th in d-man ice time for the avs, he is 1st in shorthanded ice time for them. i honestly don't know a ton about the guy besides looking at his consistent games played and point totals...

hopefully he is the kind of defenseman that puts staal on his butt in the last two seconds of a game. that is the kind of mean streak we are missing. based on his PIM totals, i am not sure if he has a true mean streak, but i hear he is pretty tough.

Posted by: Cherno | November 30, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

@BigGameSid the videos speak for themselves.

By the way look at these two and compare.

Tell me that they are different. This isn't the first time Crosby has stuck his foot out at people either http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9eaECfK8F8. Now that isn't a slew foot like the announcers say but it is still a dangerous play.

I am an Ovechkin fan and I will admit he will make some dangerous plays as well I just wish the league and the media would treat Crosby the same way they treat Ovechkin instead of trying to make him look like all that is good and pure when he doesn't play that way especially when he is losing in a game. I don't blame him either. I think it is good he doesn't like losing but I think treating him like he doesn't play with a little dirty streak is getting old.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 30, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@coveredwithhisdust

I understand where you're coming from. I wouldn't be vastly opposed to that and it is one way to go. I do think Hannan paired with Carlson would likely be a very good pairing.

My train of thought is

First, I think that Alzner is better than Schulz.

Second, Carlson is more physical than Green and does not need as big of a physical presence with him. Hannan is more physical than Alzner. Both are good positionally and both are left handed.

Therefore, I think having Hannan, with his positioning and physicality, would be a very good compliment for Green.

I also think Alzner and Carlson compliment each other perfectly, and the chemistry they have built up playing with each other for so long is important. I love that BB is using Carlson/Alzner as the D-pair to match against opposing teams top lines. IMO, I think it will be the Caps overall defensive pair by the end of the season.

Then having Hannan/Green as your 1a D-pairing taking more offensive zone faceoffs, would be great.

Then having Poti and Schulz putting in 15 minutes as a 3rd pairing D would also bring down the minutes of the other D men.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ,

GMGM could trade Boyd Gordon for Eric Staal and you would come on this blog and bash him for the trade. You've become the boy that cried wolf. Nobody pays attention to you anymore.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | November 30, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

BigGameSid,

The cap hit is 3.1 not 4. Further, a Penguins fan is sort of hypocritical bashing a 3.1 D-man cap hit after their off-season of overspending for defensive help.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | November 30, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Slew-footing, nut punching Crosby. Now that is a nickname I can appreciate.

Posted by: AADCDERM | November 30, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ,

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | November 30, 2010 3:04 PM

I see you've never been to this blog before! Capt. Kirk is an authorized seller of Caps Kool-aid.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 30, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer

Posted by: BigGameSid | November 30, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

ablake70,

Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else and if so my apologies Kirk. There is definitely somebody that is constantly irritating me with anti-Caps sentiment on this blog and it is not biglamecindy. I do come here often I just don't comment much.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | November 30, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Sid,

Crosby may be a lot of things but he is not a dirty player. However, just like anybody else he is capable of a dirty play when emotions get the best of him.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | November 30, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

LOL, Cap'n Kirk! Nice imitation of cstanton1. I wonder if he is still reading the blog.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 30, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

So good an imitation, it fooled hateis.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 30, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70 | November 30, 2010 3:11 PM

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 30, 2010 3:30 PM

thanks - i know there are some that desperately miss him (i mean you hunterforcoach) :)

i hold the kool-aid meetings on the first and third wednesdays each month - so as not to conflict with the goat's blood drinkers - which are on the second and fourth wednesdays

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 30, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

McPhee also said he has no intention of trading either of his goaltenders, Michael Neuvirth or Semyon Varlamov, and that nothing is imminent with potential free agent Alexander Semin.

That would mean having back Holtby as back up!

Posted by: enrinat | November 30, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@soaringCaps, @wendel02

Re: shipping out the Euros

Ha! Count me your exact opposite. The Euros are why the Caps won the President's trophy last year and will this year. (We will allow Greenie and Carlson to be considered "Euros" as well since they both seem to have predilictions for skilled play, etc...)

Posted by: RedLitYogi | November 30, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@BigGameSid

easy now, #87. Don't you have practice to go to or something?

Most Caps fans know Crosby's a decent player. The Red Sox fans, after all, bashed Dimaggio...Sid's in the same class, so is Ovie. (And kudos to him on his great year...must be in a good mood with this trade...)

Posted by: RedLitYogi | November 30, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3, others

yes, GMGM did GREAT here. He didn't waste his assets, he was fair to his players, and he didn't over pay with a stupid long term deal for a guy with a history of concussions.

And I'm thinking we CAN look forward to more deals at the deadline. This also creates opportunities for some of the Bears to play here. (I don't expect much more of DJK here, though, I think may be damaged.)

Posted by: RedLitYogi | November 30, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Any thoughts on whether Hannan is better/worse than Bieksa?

Posted by: RedLitYogi | November 30, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"@caps coach what do u mean joking? deadly serious!!! flash was a classic skilled Euro that dissappeared when the going got tough(playoffs)

Posted by: wendel2"

----

Please see: Red Wings, Detroit.

You may want to lay off the 90s-era Don Cherry Rock 'em Soc 'em.

Posted by: stevie7 | November 30, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like just what the Caps need! Hope the guy can stay healthy. If so, this is one less thing Caps'll need to do at the trade deadline.

Good job by GMGM, & best of luck to Flash.

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | November 30, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

As someone living in Canada who watches alot of both the Canucks and the Avalanche (the Avs are my second favourite team, favourite in the western conference), I can vouche for Hannan here and tell you all that we are getting exactly what we asked for - a strong, physical, reliable defensive-minded defenseman who will clear the net and play tough along the boards. He doesn't do alot offensively, but with Green and Carlson in the lineup, we don't need him to. I can also attest to the fact that the only reason why he's been on the ice for so many goals against this year in Colorado is that starting goalie (and total stud in the net) Craig Anderson has been out with two different injuries, leaving the Avs with backup Peter Budaj. Putting it lightly, Budaj is a terrible goalie. I have watched all of the Avs' games this season and I can tell you that most goals scored against Colorado are almost exclusively Budaj's fault. Hannan and Co. keep the opposing team's attack to the outside most of the time, and still Budaj finds a way to let the puck in the net. On the subject of Bieksa, Hannan was the better pickup, no question. Bieksa is, for lack of a better term... a stupid hockey player. He doesn't play smart, Hannan does. Bieksa screws up alot, Hannan does not. Also, come playoff time, it seems to be a trend in Vancouver that Bieksa will take alot of crucial, game-changing penalties... and not in a good way. He takes dumb penalties, and it costs them. Hannan is physical without taking alot of penalties.

Nice work, GMGM.

Posted by: JB-RockTheRed | November 30, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Someone said GMGM has to go?

That had to be a Pens fan. McPhee has done a tremendous job. This hard-line Defenseman is just what they needed.

Posted by: PS7900 | November 30, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

WOOT! Great move. Wishing Flash well but this is the last piece of the puzzle that we needed. Will be a great mentor to our many young D-men. And I'm sure Bruce will mix and match during the regular season to figure out the best combos on the blueline. GMGM - ignore the haters - it's just what the Dr. ordered for the playoffs.

Hey Sid & Co. - bring it!!!!

Posted by: jay4811 | November 30, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

"Hannan is a more expensive version of Erskine, at best."
Posted by: atybat | November 30, 2010 2:23 PM

If he is faster than Erskine, that is exactly what this team needs. He'll get a five (+) month tryout.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | November 30, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

"My point is Crosby is not a dirty player, sure he has gotten away with a lot of borderline plays maybe even cheap, but like OVI he is a competitor, and they both play on the edge. I think if Caps fans bash Crosby for being a cheap or dirty player then they should feel the same about OVI which I doubt they'd be willing to admit."
Posted by: BigGameSid | November 30, 2010 3:21 PM

Until Ovi throws a few nut-punches, your point is of no value.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | November 30, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Um, for all the people talking about "getting rid of the Euros," do you mean Ovie, Backstrom, Varlamov, and Semin? Really?? Because they're all European. Should we also ship off MoJo? Neuvirth? Also Euros.

Face it, the Caps are a team whose stars consist mainly of Europeans, and they'll either win or lose based on the play of Europeans. And what's wrong with that? After all, we were all European a few hundred years ago.

Posted by: greggiebaba | November 30, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Just read some of the comments about Crosby's "slew foot" and how you think he's actually a dirty player. Are you kidding me? As much as I dislike OVI I would never call him a dirty player. And he's done a lot more controversial things than Crosby has. Just a little hypocritical don't you think? ...

Posted by: BigGameSid

Sid, come on now. When big name players like Crosby or Ovechkin make questionable-dangerous plays the haters are going to come out of the woodwork and call them dirty players. Most experienced hockey fans realize these are competitive players and sometimes things get away from them a little bit in the heat of the moment and they do things they shouldn't. When everyone agrees that a player is dirty then that player is a dirty player.

Just trying to help with setting your expectations. :)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 1, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse