Posted at 3:36 PM ET, 11/30/2010

Who would you pair Scott Hannan with?

By Katie Carrera

Aside from those prompted by injuries, there haven't been too many adjustments to the Capitals' defensive pairings this season. The addition of shut-down defenseman Scott Hannan, who averaged 18:37 minutes over 23 games with the Avalanche this season, will obviously change that as Coach Bruce Boudreau and the Capitals find out precisely where the veteran blueliner fits.

It's not hard to imagine the coaching staff auditioning Hannan with several different defensive partners. He's left handed but can play both sides of the ice (he saw time on both sides in Colorado). During his conference call this afternoon, Hannan said he's used to facing opponents' top lines -- a job that's been the responsibility of several different pairs at points throughout the season.

By Katie Carrera  | November 30, 2010; 3:36 PM ET
Categories:  Scott Hannan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Scott Hannan expects to 'fit in right away' with Caps
Next: Capitals looking forward to facing Jaroslav Halak

Comments

(repost from previous, grrr rapid posting updates)

Most of the Flush haters/dislikers (myself and others) are not saying his is a bad player...just that he is a horrendous center but makes a decent wing. Only problem was, we didnt need him here for wing. And GMGM & BB tried to force him down our throats as being a good option for our 2C. Ergo the hate. I myself, and I am sure others like me, wish him well in Colo.

Moving him eliminates a bottleneck we had and I think will improve our overall lines greatly. Perhaps give Fehr his earned 2nd line minutes. Personally, Id like to see:

Ovie/Back/Seminator
Fehr/MaJo/Knubs
ChimChim/Laich/Hendricks
BFV/Stecks/Gordo/King

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 30, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

when i think of a #1 pair d (as far as defense is concerned) - i don't think of green/schultz, carlson/alzner or poti/erskine - i think of langway/engblom.

erskine & sloan/fahey would make a #4 - maybe

if the group ends up playing as 3 solid #2 pairings on d - i'll be happy

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 30, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

Aside from my passion for smash-mouth hockey (I'd rather watch roller derby than figure skating), I have much respect for your opinions and I don't think we're all that different. That said, I haven't seen seen the same from Fehr this year("his earned 2nd line minutes), can you enlighten me as I think of Fehr in the same light as Flash?

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 30, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Poti. To me Alzner and Carlson and Green and Schultz are good pairs. Sure, the former is prone to young mistakes, but they do sense each other pretty well. Poti's a legit vet and between the two of them they should be a good shutdown pair. Erskine can be the guy in the press box, and Sloan can go back to swingman, also in the box.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 30, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | November 30, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Here's my prediction for pairings:

Green/Schultz
Alzner/Carlson
Poti/Erskine and Hannan (until Hannan solidifies his spot)

That's a pretty solid defensive core and Hannan has a LOT of playoff experience. I think Sloan will probably be put on waivers because Fahey as a call-up seems to perform better than Sloan. Sloan is on the IR so he won't be moved yet. My guess is he will go from IR to waivers.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 30, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 30, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

just saw NHL Power Play and their take on the trade....the talking heads there think Colo. got what they were looking for, they were unsure Wash. got what we needed (a tough, mean d-man..."not since B. Witt have the Caps had someone on the backline that might strike fear in the opposition")

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 30, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Probably Schultz since we are trading Greenie for Brad Richards in a month.

Posted by: jakopz | November 30, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

BB will try various pairings as he likes to do, but I think come playoff time Hannan ends up as second pair with Poti. It is unlikely IMO that BB would break up Green and Schultz, and the young guys would be under less pressure as the third pair - maybe less likely to make a critical mistake. Besides, Poti needs any help he can get when opposing players are in the crease, and Hannan is the best option for that.

Posted by: zmega | November 30, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I would've been content flipping Flash for a 2nd round pick so this is a fine move.

We still need another more significant upgrade on defense and a 2C.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 30, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to Flash. If he's ever going to finally hit his stride and live up to the hype, I'd much rather it be out west. On the other hand, I wonder if he'll continue to be a "25 goal scorer" without one of the best offenses in the NHL setting him up.

Good move overall by GMGM. Hannan is no Lidstrom, but a reliable SAHD with veteran status, low PIMs, enough size to clear traffic and block shots when the postseason rolls around, and plenty of playoff experience is definitely something this team could use. Being stuck with a bottom-feeder team can kill just about anyone's stats. It'll be interesting to see if he gets his spark back. I don't think we really lost anything in Fleischmann that can't be compensated for with what we already have, so even if he sucks the Caps will be pretty much the same team they were yesterday - and still with plenty of cap room to shore things up at the deadline.

Posted by: ModestProposal | November 30, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

With Carlson being our ice-time leader many nights - even when MG's in the lineup - combined with Schultz's disappearing act in the playoffs, I find it hard to see how Schultz doesn't get supplanted in the top-4.

The pairing of Poti-Carlson was one of our few bright spots last spring [along with Varly, Nicky and Ovie] so at some point I expect to see BB reunite them - and Hannan possibly move into that spot with Green. Or keep Carlson-Alzner and move Poti - Green. But no way Schultz goes against the other team's best forwards in the playoffs, he can't handle it.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't really matter who he's paired with, although he sounds perfect for pairing with one of the more offensive D's, like Green or Carlson. I'd rather take a risk on Hannan in tackling a 2 on 1 rush into the D zone than Schultz, or Alzner, frankly, although both are perfectly serviceable D's and are doing a fine job so far this year. How come I've never heard of this guy before?

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | November 30, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Again, this was an OK move simply because of how little we gave up but it didn't address either of our top 2 needs:

1a) An elite or borderline elite veteran top paring d-man. Even if Schultz is as good as some people think, he needs another couple years of development no matter what the stats say.

2a) A aolid to very good veteran two-way 2C.

Third on my list was a secondary and smaller defensive upgrade. This was it.

Let's see how Hannan plays beyond that. He may be nothing more than an expensive 2nd or 3rd pairing upgrade. If this move doesn't prevent us from doing anything else later on in the season, then his contract will be a non-issue.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 30, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

@ Jakopz

Where have you heard that?

I'd actually be open to that idea. What if we traded green to edmonton for some of their young guys like brule, cogliano, and ryan whitney(18 assists on the lowly oilers and great on the pp). Then maybe trade the other assets from the edmonton deal and our first and/or secound round pick to dallas for richards. Thats a lot of ifs and will probably never happen but I actually think it would help us.

Posted by: rockthered90 | November 30, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@ Jakopz

Where have you heard that?

Posted by: rockthered90 | November 30, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@ Jakopz

Where have you heard that?

Posted by: rockthered90 | November 30, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@ Jakopz

Where have you heard that?

Posted by: rockthered90 | November 30, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@ Jakopz

Where have you heard that?

Posted by: rockthered90 | November 30, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

How come I've never heard of this guy before?
------------

I watched him pretty closely whenever SJ played CO in the playoffs, because he usually went against Forsberg - a very tough assignment, to be sure. And he handled it reasonably well, or at least as well as could be expected - but, and this is a big but - that was in the era of clutch-and-grab. In today's more open game, he seems to often be a half-step behind the play. Avs fans had high hopes when he came over on that huge contract, but averaging barely 18 mins per game on a non-playoff team has to be at least somewhat of a concern.

I've seen everything on these boards from comparing the guy to Lidstrom to saying "he's a 2-3" - while none of those statements are true, I'm hopeful he can help out our young defensive corps.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

sorry for posting so many times it was an aciident. If we dont get richards which we most likely never will, a guy that could be a good 2/3C is matt cullen. They would only trade him though if minnesota fades out of the playoff race.

Posted by: rockthered90 | November 30, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Ragging on Schultz makes absolutely zero sense. The guy is a defensive defenseman, nothing more. He's having another very good and quiet season. He averages a whooping 19 seconds a game less than Carlson and Schultz doesn't log PP time. It's funny that fans come on here and rip into Schultz's game like they are a hockey expert, and in the same sentence admit they have never heard of Hannan. Those that watch hockey know exactly who Hannan is and we were happy as heck we got him for a one for one swap.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 30, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"The fact is that we still have 4 defensemen who are 25 or under, kids in goal and another kid trying to play a crucial 2C position with less than a few months of NA hockey under his belt.

That still reeks of what a rebuilding team would look like -- not a team trying to take the next step as a contender."

Posted by: tmac2yao

Decent points but still, the Pens got to the Cup finals when Crosby was like 20 and Malkin and Fleury were pretty much a kids too. I don't think you need to have old fogies like the Red Wings to have a contender.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | November 30, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

The only pairing that makes any sense at all is Poti/Hannan. So that would make the lines:

Ovechkin/Backstrom/Semin
Fehr/Johannson/Knuble
Chimera/Steckle/Hendricks
King/Gordon/Bradley

Green/Shultz
Carlson/Alzner
Poti/Hannan

starting to look like a defensive core who know what they're doing. Now time to get rid of erskine and sloan.

Posted by: SovietSnipes | November 30, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I like our D a heck of a lot better now than Pitts. Yes they added Michalek & Martin but they lost Gonchar.

My guess is our D will look like this, or let me correct that, this is how I would construct our D (LOL):

Schultz/Green
Hannan/Carlson
Poti/Alzner
Erskine 7 Sloan is a bear

1. 1st pairing- I don't think Schultz is 1/2 the player when paired with somebody else. It's almost like Sarge needs Greeny as much as Greeny needs him. MG = offensive Dman, JS = S@HD

2. 2nd pariing- Carlson is your offensive Dguy for this pair who is still defensively responsible. JC = offensive Dman, Hannan S@HD

3. 3rd pairing - Alzner S@HD, Poti offensive D and still good devensively for a 3rd pairing.

GMGM said the other day that he thought we were a better team [that] day than last year. I was agreeing with him 100% then but I am now.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 30, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Another advantage of bringing in Hannan is that the Caps can rest Green now on the penalty kill....cut his minutes/keep him more rested, and maybe even keep him healthier.

Posted by: sj9096 | November 30, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sj9096

Good point

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1 -

So are you saying you've been happy with Schultz's play the last two playoffs?

As for ice-time, I'd sure hope that our "Mr. Nasty" [PJ Maguire] #1 shutdown d-man [GMGM and BB] would be ahead of a rookie 20 yr-old, PP time or not.

As for Hannan, I'm well aware of who he is, I've watched him since he was with SJ - so let's not pretend he's the reincarnation of Lidstrom.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

@rockthered90

theres no way we could afford richards.

Posted by: SovietSnipes | November 30, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

IMO, the D pairing should be

Alzner/Carlson
Hannan/Green
Schulz/Poti

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

@rockthered90

theres no way we could afford richards.

Posted by: SovietSnipes

That's incorrect. If the Caps acquired Richards near the trade deadline they could afford Richards. Remember, the salary is pro-rated, so the Caps would only need about $2M in cap room to afford Richards.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LloydChristmas | November 30, 2010 5:15 PM

Which one of those several young players at key positions that I was referring to are on the level of Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin - 2 generational talents.

Furthermore and just as importantly, they didn't have 4 out of 6 defensemen, a goalie and a key center who were "all" kids. That's the main point. That's reeks of what you might see on a rebuilding team.

Look at the ages of their defensemen on their cup-winning team: http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/PIT/2009.html

To be fair, the trade deadline is not here yet. Let's see what McPhee does before then. The move today was fine but it's not close to enough as it didn't address any of our top needs.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 30, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
Oh boy here we go again. Let me explain somethin to ya Timmy!:) When I post on here I try to state things that people here can relate to. Not everybody is really familiar with players on other teams. Everybody here knows Lidstrom so that was more the reason for the "comparison".

Say what you want here but the proof will be in April when he's on our 2nd D pairing like he is now & always has been except when COL was rebuilding (reloading lol).

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 30, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

It's also a lot easier to get away with being young up front. Defense generally takes a lot longer to learn at this level, no matter how talented a player is coming in, which is why you so rarely see elite teams and Cup-winning teams with extremely young blue lines and goalies.

Out of 6 d-men plu goalie, we have currently have FIVE regulars who are kids.

Even a 25-year-old with a few years of experience is kind of a kid from the perspective of defensemen.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 30, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I like the fact that the Undertaker did it now. Last yr we got garbage at the deadline. By doing this now, it gives many months to get adjusted. BB can juggle and see what works, so lets not box it in on who he plays with before Dec...

I thank Flash for all his work and dedication. He wasn't the most gifted guy, but he gave you what he had no matter what position they put him in. Hopefully this last contribution of being traded will help the Caps reach their ultimate goal.

Posted by: dpshultzfam | November 30, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

@AADCDERM:

As anyone who has been here for a while will attest, I am far from being a hater of GMGM--indeed, I have often posted in his defense, if for no other reason than the fact that he is the Caps' General Manager, not I (nor any of us here at CI, for that matter).

That said, I think it may be premature to praise GMGM for the acquisition of a player who has yet to actually play for the Caps. Yes, I knew Fleischmann had to go, and wish him well in all his future efforts (except if he's playing againt the Caps, of course...heh-heh).

But I have to confess that--before today--I knew absolutely nothing about this Hannan guy, and I am (at this juncture) very disappointed that we didn't get BXӘ from Vancouver instead. I mean, Flash-for-BXӘ would have made sense for both teams in so many ways.

But with months to go before the trade deadline, the timing--if nothing else--was very good: If Hannan is good for us, he'll have ample time to acclimate to BB's systems and the overall team chemistry--if not, we won't be finding it out for the first time mere weeks before the playoffs start.

So, I am willing to wait and see...I guess we'll find out soon enough if this was the right move or not.

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 30, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Timbo: Never even mentioned Lidstrom, remember who you are having a dispute with. I am lucky enough to go to almost every Caps home game and all of you Schultz haters are the same. If he makes a questionable play you complain, highlight it, and bold face it. When he plays a 2 on 1 perfectly nobody says squat. I don't care what any of you Schultz detractors think, I for one, am happy what he brings this team. His worth every penny.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 30, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

The Pens had 3 centers 22 or younger and two defensemen 23 or younger.

Just because the ages do not fit perfectly in sync with the Pens doesn't mean it won't work.

Green is still young, but he has a lot of expereince now and has a good amount of playoff experience. Schulz has gained a good amount of experience too.

Carlson, while young, was great in the playoffs last year and should only be better.

Alzner, while only playing one playoff game, played very well in game 7.

In the end, it comes down to quality, not age. I do agree that acquiring a 2nd line veteran center would be a good idea. That will likely be a deadline deal. But the Caps young age on D does not worry me. In fact, the new NHL has become much younger and beng young may indeed be a benefit for a long playoff run.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

On top of this move, if McPhee is either able to a) find a legit, veteran top pairing d-man to at least temporarily replace Schultz or b) get a very good to great two-way 2C, then he's done well overall to address needs.

If he's able to do both of those things on top of the Hannan move, he's done more than well - he's done great.

If he does neither and really thinks that Hannan "completes our defense" and that we are strong enough up the middle, he failed again and the Caps will likely do the same. And by failure, I don't simply mean not winning it all - I'm talking another early exit.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 30, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

My two cents, from another post:

@funkyglovefacewash: "I can't believe how many posters here don't know much about Hannan."...........i, too, am amazed at how many posters here don't know who Hannan is. But in their defense, there's not a whole lot to know about Hannan. He's an upgrade over Sloan and Fahey for sure, but other than that he's yet another invisible, nice and responsible player to play on our backline

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 30, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 30, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

@rockthered90

there's no way we could afford richards.

Posted by: SovietSnipes

Posted by: sgm3 |
-----

I think he means what the caps would have to give up to GET Richards would be far too much and thusly, we cannot afford him!

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 30, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

"If he does neither and really thinks that Hannan "completes our defense" and that we are strong enough up the middle, he failed again and the Caps will likely do the same."

I disagree. While I am for acquiring a #2 Center, if it didn't occur I still think the Caps would be one of the favorites to win the SC.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

There's the tmac we know and love. It was only a matter of time until something completely negative came from one of your posts. You are probably going through withdrawals because when I look back at the thread from the game this thing is littered with your up to minute critiques. I can just imagine (being a Houston guy myself) how much junk you pour on Rockets' blogs with Yao in and out so much due to injury. Are you one of those guys in the city that stand on a box with a bible and yell at all of us sinners?

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 30, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

@poker - 2nd pairing guys usually average over 18 mins per game, that's how it works. A "2-3" guy by definition means he's better than all but 1 or at most 2 of his fellow d-men - which I would not expect to be the case on a strong defensive team, looking to go deep into the playoffs. [Ie., a Spacek, or Gorges, or a Seidenberg - I'm not necessarily saying the Caps are there, yet]. He's not close to those guys - granted the Avs are young and full of potential, but I'd certainly like to think the Caps are ahead of them, playoff-expectation wise.

Right now, I'd slate - at least - Green, Carlson and Poti ahead of him on the depth chart.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 30, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

In the salery cap era you need to have young stars to do good. Two years ago Pittsburgh had a 23 year old goalie. They also had Letang playing big minutes on D at 21 and Goligoski playing some in the playoffs at 23. They also had 5 forwards at age 24 or under. The Hawks last year had 13 players play in the playoffs at age 25 or under. Even Detroit known as the oldest team had three forwards at 23 or under score a combined 12 playoff goals and 6 players who were 26 or under. Almost all of our young players have playoff experience so it is not like they won't know what is coming. I rebuilding team would have a lot of first or second year players who have never played a playoff game in the NHL. Look at our players playoff game experience vs. the Oilers players playoff experience and you will see the difference between a young playoff contender and a rebuilding team.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 30, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

@Timbo_1

Hannan doesn't get PP time which drives down overall ice time. I would be curious to see how his even-strength ice time compares to the other defenseman on the Avs.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

And I understand that the Blackhawks had a lot of youth on the backend but...

a) Their team defense last season was infinitely better than what we have here. If you are going to have several young players at key positions, you better have an awesome, deep and balanced overall team. We are not as deep as they were, we're not as balanced and we don't play as smart of or as complete of a brand of hockey. Simply put, we need some upgrades at a couple of key positions to hopefully hide minimize the effects of certain issues.

b) As young as they were, we're still much, much younger at those key positions with less of a supporting cast. Truthfully, we're scary young at key positions - like rebuilding young, not just "new NHL" young.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 30, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Meh, let's see what McPhee does going forward.

This is why I felt that he had to make noise this offseason and before the deadline. I didn't think he'd be able to address all or enough of our needs without using both "periods of activity" so to speak.

Time will tell...

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 30, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

@tmac I think you are putting too much importance on age and not the experience which is much more important then the age. They Hawks had 4 D at 26 or younger last year who played at least 15 playoff games and a goalie who was a 26 year old rookie. They didn't seem to think it was too young for them or that they were a rebuilding team.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 30, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

@rockthered90

Burnside mentioned it today on espn. I'm not sure if he was completely serious. I wouldn't be against it. Caps have been better without Green in the line-up so far and with Carlsson developing, I can see it work out.

Posted by: jakopz | November 30, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

if we're trying to school our young D, as it were, pairing the kids with vets makes the most sense. with so little practice time the best way for experience to rub off on the little ones is probably to have them on the ice together

split up the skating Dmen and you get:
green/schultz
carlson/hannan
poti/alzner

then again i don't mind the look of:
green/hannan
schultz/poti
carlson/alzner

Posted by: mcintire_will | November 30, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1 - I do not hate Schultz - but 1) I do not want him on a #1 defensive pairing; PJ Maguire's, GMGM's, and all other accolades notwithstanding, I do not see him as a legit, shutdown d-man. I guess we differ there. Also, however, is 2) it is grating to see the abuse some guys [good luck to ya, Flash] took for subpar playoff performances [Semin], and other guys completely escape any and all criticism.

On a 2nd or 3rd pairing, or not going against the other team's top 3, okay - but for two playoff seasons in a row he's been brutal. While other guys get crucified. Hopefully that all changes this time around.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I am a dark sider, and I like this move a lot. No down side. Flash was expendable, we needed a stay at home defensemen. The price was right. Well done McPhee.

We are a center away from being a prohibative favorite in the East. McPhee needs to show some killer instinct, but that can wait until the deadline. Brad Richards would cost too much. Something like:

Eakin
Alzner
1st rounder

Posted by: underpants2 | November 30, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

@smg3

we dont have anyone that isnt named alexander to trade for richards aka afford.

Posted by: SovietSnipes | November 30, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

@FrankM73

Glad to see someone else who understands things posting here.

Posted by: SovietSnipes | November 30, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with the post about our team being "too young" at certain positions. The Blackhawks won it all last year, and they were one of the youngest teams in the league. What about when Carolina won it with Cam Ward in net, in his rookie season? Varlamov has already proven, in my mind, that he can play in the playoffs. He's confident. He doesn't seem to get nervous. He makes the big save. As for the Carlson-Alzner duo, they both seem already to play well beyond their years. Carlson was fantastic in the playoffs last year. Our problem last postseason was that we couldn't seem to put the puck in the net, and barring another Patrick Roy-like performance from a goaltender who had never done so before... Do any of us really believe that this offense will be stopped?

Posted by: JB-RockTheRed | November 30, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

@SovietSnipes & SeminAllOverTheIce (and other folks)

You both seem to agree with who I would put on the defensive pairings, placing Hannan with Poti and leaving the other two pairings as is. This gives us a solid blue line corps, even if not necessarily superstars. Poti and Hannan can play enough minutes so the kids are not under too much pressure and so Green (and Schultz) don't burn out. And we have Oisk as a fill in, as needed in case of injury. Prior to the acquisition of Hannan, we were downright shaky in defense, depthwise.

As for the lines, I assume the first line will remain the same. Fehr is more of a RW than a LW so I don't see him as our 2LW (but do see him as more effective as a 2nd liner than a 3rd liner). Hence, I would put Laich there.

@SovietSnipes -- you forgot about Laich in your lineup. He should still have a place on the Caps somewhere. (SAOTI had him as 3rd line center.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 30, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

we dont have anyone that isnt named alexander to trade for richards aka afford.

Posted by: SovietSnipes

I think it will be interesting to see how much Richards goes for at the deadline. Because of the owneship situation, there is almost no chance he doesn't get traded unless the Stars are a real threat to make the playoffs. Even so, he still may get traded.

Then when you consider how many contenders will not have the cap room to acquire Richards and his salary, the amount of teams trying to acquire him may not be that large.

The Stars will also be looking for prospects, young players on entry level deals, and draft picks as compensation. Not players making good money or about to make good money.

It will take a good amount to get Richards, but not as high as he would get if the Stars ownership wasn't forced to trade him.

I would think one of the Caps top prospects(maybe Eakin, maybe Holtby), a 1st round pick and probably a mid-level prospect(possibly MP). BGordon could be thrown in as well(a good 3rd line center on a cheap deal).

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

On the age of our defensive corps (Alzner, Carlson, Green, Schultz). Yes, they are a young crew. (They're younger than my first born daughter who's 26.)

Let me tell you about another young group who played an important role in another sport. When Joe Gibbs came to the Redskins, he built an offensive line that was primarily composed of rookies and near rookies (Mark May, Russ Grimm, Joe Jacoby, Jeff Bostic) and veteran George Starke and that group became famous the following year and were known as "The Hogs".

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 30, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Green because I love Carlzner and in the past, I've actually liked the Poti-Schultz pairing.

Posted by: wis193 | November 30, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Eakin
Alzner
1st rounder
-------------

Richards is definitely a good player - albeit not good enough for Canada this Olympics, and he wouldn't have made Russia or Sweden either [and I'm not convinced about Team USA, Czech or Slovakia, but I'll concede] but he would be prohibitively expensive to acquire, in terms of a combo of players + prospects; it would take at least something like underpants has outlined, above, for Dallas to pull the trigger [if not a Schultz, for good measure].

Also, Richards has been a minus player most of his career [-62 overall], for those who care about such things.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Carrera: "He's left handed..."

Sigh. No, he's not. This is what happens when converted pencil pushers do the hockey coverage.

The correct statement: "He shoots left..."

When I see someone make this mistake, I always wonder: do they think left-handed people are innately so much better at hockey that their 10% of the general population becomes a majority in the NHL?

Here's a picture of Hannan that proves my point.

Anyway, bravo GMGM! Long overdue, but this is the best trade the Caps have made in years.

Posted by: goobs | November 30, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

@Timbo_1

Didn't Richards win the Conn Smythe?

Posted by: sgm3 | November 30, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

That he did, sgm3 - but: that was a few years ago, and there were at least 3 guys more deserving: Vinny, MSL and most of all Khabibulin, no way they win that year without him in the net.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

@SovietSnipes:
Thanks! While I'd love Richards on this team, I think people are living a dream thinking they can get him AND still keep the core of the team intact. He'll likely go to a solid playoff team/borderline cup team that is trying to push themselves into the Cup conversation... but it's be a big haul in return for Dallas.

Dallas would probably want Laich, one of the goalies and a 1st and a 2nd... to start the conversation!

Besides, Johansson is progressing nicely!

Stay the course GMGM!

Smart move by GMGM to take advantage of Colorado's LW injuries and pry Hannan away from them now, versus when they are healthy and a half-dozen other teams are trying to do the same!

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 30, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Actually I'd add one more to that list - whoever that big lug of a d-man was, Kuba or Kubina [I get those two mixed up] - that dude was a beast in the playoffs, just a force.

Like I said, Richards is a unquestionably a good player - just not sure he's worth all the hype [and the asking price], is my point.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

@Timbo_1

Posted by: sgm3
----
ask and you shall receive! sort by "ES TOI/G"... he's at 15:11/G, good for 5th on the Avs and 6th on the Caps!

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 30, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Also, as far as Conn Smythe winners go, let's just say that's not always been the most trustworthy indicator of who's actually been the best playoff performer.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 30, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Just hearing of this trade... and all I can say is, yes!! Ineffective, limp-a$$ Flash for a solid defenseman. This is making my month. :p

Posted by: HokieSkin | November 30, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Hockey has got to be the winner of the most random statistics award! There are just so many it can make your head spin :)

Posted by: capscoach | November 30, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

It is a step in the right direction to jettison flash. Let's face it, we all hated him. I admit I hated the sight of his face. Glad he is gone, and we got the kind of player we needed. Glad I never again have to see him on the PP.

Flash got us Hannan. No downside for the Caps here. It's a good day to be a Caps fan.

Posted by: underpants2 | November 30, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Also, Brad Richards earned the Conn Smythe that year, he was tremendous.

Posted by: underpants2 | November 30, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Kinda feel bad for Erskine in this situation. I thought he has played well this year.

Posted by: casser | November 30, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I think Erskine will still get substantial play - against physical teams and when one of the other d is injured. I think it's better for the Caps and Erskine if he doesn't have to play every game. He takes a beating out there.

Posted by: zmega | November 30, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Erskine will still get plenty of time. There won't be many games this year with all of the top 6 d-men completely healthy. Hell, look at all the games Sloan has played, and he was the #7 guy before.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | November 30, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Carrera: "He's left handed..."

Sigh. No, he's not. The correct statement: "He shoots left..." The top hand on the stick does more than non-players understand. Handedness is generally, though not always, the opposite of shooting side.

========================
Amen. Let's be nice to Katie, though.

Posted by: washingtonpost31 | November 30, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I think Erskine will get a ton of games. Indeed, contrary to the title of this thread I think that for months we'll see a revolving D corps, with a different player sitting each night (extra for an injured Poti, and maybe giving Green 304 games to rest up whatever it is ails him).

Erskine's earned his spot on the team. Hannan provides us depth, but we'll use all 7 D for sure.

Posted by: Justafan | November 30, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

That's "3-4 games"

Posted by: Justafan | November 30, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Gotta hand it to McPhee. Virtually killed 3 birds with one stone. This pretty much guarantees

1. Most likely no Sloan in the playoffs (unless 2 defensemen are injured)

2. Most likely no Fleischmann in the playoffs (unless they pull the Jurcina thing again).

3. An extra Tom Poti type defenseman (without the offense but with a marginally better defensive game) to pair with Tom Poti.

That said, I'd have been happier if they let Fleischmann walked during the offseason and signed Willie Mitchell to whatever he wanted.

Posted by: yellowtail99 | November 30, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Great trade. Hannan is a really solid player. I'd put him with Poti but a pairing with Green might actually work out fairly well too. Wouldn't split up Carlson and Alzner and I don't like a Green/Poti combo.

Posted by: Stu_c | November 30, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

@goobs

This is not a hockey town. Let her learn more about the game. Respect, man !!

Lets win some cUps and make this a hockey town. So glad to see a floater, like Flush go. I don't care that he played out of position. He vanished during the playoffs, and would pull the same when the Canadian and American boys start playing playoff defense.

We just got better "Team Defense-wise", which is huge.

I would trade Eakin under NO CIRCUMSTANCES !!! He' ready now for NHL play. Three GM's think he's our best prospect !

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 30, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

yellowtail: As I and others posted earlier, Mitchell has already missed about three weeks with injury. Haven't paid attention to what it was, but that was the knock against him and he's already hurt.

Hannan, knock on wood, never gets hurt. Or, he never gets injured and misses time.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 30, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Burnside: "It'll be interesting next spring to see if we look back on this day as a monumental moment for the team."

Posted by: Justafan | November 30, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I am happy about this trade, but it is not a monumental play...Hannan seems solid and responsible and should help shore up our D...he will protect the goalie and block shots.

Posted by: capscoach | November 30, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 30, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I think if you pair Hannan with Poti, for the sake of keeping Carlson/Alzner and Green/Scultz together due to chemistry then the lines become 1, 2A, and 2B. A Hannan/Carlson pairing on the other automatically becomes the second line with Poti/Alzner manning the third line.

Posted by: Dirtbag359 | November 30, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

as a side note, what is the feeling of how this will play out as far as semin and contract talks?

Posted by: jay18 | November 30, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Versus between periods about to talk what should caps do w/Semin and the Flash trade.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 30, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

TB just stole themselves a couple of points robbed TOR of one. I watched most of the game and TOR seemed to be carrying the play for the large part, aside from the score.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 30, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I think TOR killed off like 4 PPs before they got their first and I can't remember all the penalties they took but they were largely being the aggressors and weren't taking the penalties due to being out of position and what not. They definitely outworked TB for the majority of the game and deserved the regulation win.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 30, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

If this guys is a legit top 4 d-man then he should be paired with one of their top 2 offensive d-men, Green or Carlson.

But since 52 and 55 seem to be stuck with each other, I say pair him with the kid and see how it goes.

I never liked the idea of pairing two rookies.

Posted by: joek443 | November 30, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

did the versus guys have anything of interest to say between periods?

Posted by: jay18 | November 30, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I like this trade, but will reserve judgment until say february.. So he has tile to gel with teammates and the system.

If GMGM somehow can arrenge a deal with Edm (and maybe Tor) for Souray, how would you pair our D then? Who's to sit?
And What's more important at the deadline, a #2D or a # 2C? (please give me some realistic candidates to fill those holes)

Its interesting to see that Caps have 4 defenders averaging longer shifts than J-M Liles, who has the highest average on the Avs, yet only one (Carlson) has more shifts/ game than Hannan, who holes in fifth in even strength time on the Caps. Statwise, Hannan kloks like a #4 to me.

Posted by: Walle | November 30, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

My bad, TB did score on their 4th consecutive PP but TOR was largely shutting them down with their PK.

And again, TB wasn't drawing penalties from outworking TOR from what I was seeing. They were just playing pretty aggressively and working almost too hard trying to be physical.

The shot count doesn't reflect the way the game was played at all. TOR also got a goal taken away that I thought was pretty questionable. He got nudged into the goalie and it didn't even make a difference.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 30, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Damn autofill, messes up the words... holes = would and kloks = looks

Posted by: Walle | November 30, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jay18 | November 30, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

If they win the cup Semin is as good as gone. They'll probably just wait for Evgeny Kuznetsov to arrive in 2012 (who ironically has frequently been compared to Semin).

If they don't win the cup, they'll probably still let Semin go but they'll try harder to get one more year long extension.

Posted by: Dirtbag359 | November 30, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why the Blues would play Ty Conklin against a division rival and save Halak for us. That guy's reaction is about 2 seconds too slow on every shot. Even Schultz could get a goal pass him.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 30, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Umm.... mark my words, I don't call things often but when I do they come true (if I do say so myself). :) Semin will resign with the Caps. He will be on our roster for opening day next yr.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 30, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Justafan | November 30, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I wish i shared your optimism, but that hasn't been BBs style throughout his tenure...Erskine is the odd-man out, and I think his absence from the lineup will detract from the "whole" of the team; BB will play the "top 6" consistently, and #4 will only see action due to injury, or in response to a transgression the previous game, or fear of the team being mauled against an upcoming physical team. (see Kolzig, Theodore, Erskine last year (not even 1 playoff game w/Corvo rotting on the ice?), King this year). It's just too bad Johnny E. didn't play for BB in Hershey or get traded for in-season by GMGM; his ice time would be guaranteed then.

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 30, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Judging from YouTube (Scott Hannan Post-Game Interview from 2007 playoffs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4jRCPSlH7Y), Hannan's favorite phrase is "you know," which he says about 27 times during that interview. So get used to it. :-)

A nice hit on Phoenix's Matthew Lombardi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DLjRp1wWEw&playnext=1&list=PL41436570C3B4BB7A&index=10

Neat footage of him with San Jose helping kill off a 5-on-3 penalty against Edmonton, eventually sans stick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucd9xoRtDuQ

Though it's more of a scrum than a fight, there's one of him grappling with Jamie McGinn in the playoffs earlier this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DLjRp1wWEw&playnext=1&list=PL41436570C3B4BB7A&index=10

Posted by: blackjack65 | November 30, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Mike Green is the key to our Cup hopes. Not as a D-man, but as the ultimate trade chip.

I think Calgary, Ottawa and Dallas will be all ears and he can net more than but including: Iginla, Spezza or Richards respectively. Personally, I would take Richards.

With that one move of a legit 2C, and MaJo moving to center Chimera, Fehr as 3C -- you can PEN, not PENCIL in a Cup this year.

Thats your next move Mr. McPhee.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | November 30, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps When BB stopped playing Olie we had just gotten Huet who went on a run and there was no way you take out the hot goalie down the streach when we needed to win every game. Theodore got plenty of playing time here and only got pulled in the second game of the playoffs because he had let in goals on his last three shots. King doesn't play because he is useless on the ice. He contributes nothing. As long as Erskine keeps contributing and I am not just talking about goals he will get some playing time.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 30, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

"And yes I said he's a 2-3 guy because that's exactly what he is. I live in Colorado, I've seen the guy play (met him on many occassions) ever since he came in the league in SJ. Right now he's on the 2nd pairing but if there is an injury in the 1st pairing he can fill in there adequately as well."

Great feedback, I and I am all for this trade. It really needed to happen, although I wish it happend a year ago.

Also as ESPN said, Hannan would lead the Caps the last 4 years in blocked shots if he were on the team. I love players like this and so are the Caps.

Best trade for GMGM in some time.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 1, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Thats your next move Mr. McPhee.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | November 30, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Mr. McPhee is not listening to you. You're an anonymous poster on a blog and an arrogant one at that. I'm tired of people posting stuff like they have a direct line to guys in the DC area like Shanahan or McPhee.

((((Georgey baby. You obviously don't know as much about hockey like me and I've been tinerking around on the old Playstation so here, let me tell you what to do.)))))))))

Posted by: Dirtbag359 | December 1, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Hmm, my last comment could've used an emoticon of some sort. It wasn't supposed to be mean! I've enjoyed both Tarik and Katie's work for the past few years.

And for the record, I generally prefer writer-turned-hockey-reporter to player-turned-hockey-reporter. Much easier to deal with the occasional goof someone like Katie will make than to slog through the consistently uneven prose of someone like Ray Ferraro (though he's one of my favorite color guys.)

Posted by: goobs | December 1, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

I say put him with Carlson. Carlson has shown flashed of some good offense, and Hannan would allow him to play more offensively and take more chances. Juts my opinion.

Posted by: digster1013 | December 1, 2010 1:28 AM | Report abuse

right on, Caps made a deal. Good to see that Flash is gone. Capn Kirk's salty tears with extra msg notwithstanding, its a decent move. Not a great move. But a decent one that is a protypical "addition by subtraction" scenario. Flash was not a critical component for this team and getting him out of the lineup means one less one-dimensional skill player gone from the lineup. Something that warms my heart.

Scott Hannan isn't the player he once was. And he's not the shutdown dman McPhee is claiming he is either. But he's a competitive hockey player whose compete level is akin to that of a Dan Hamhuis. If he was replacing Poti, I'd be even happier. Poti's play at the end of regulation in the last game speaks volumes. He chose not to engage Staal at a time in the game when he could've pushed himself past his comfort zone and really just hammered him out of the crease. If he's not willinng to step it up in that scenario, he's just not a team player imo. The fact he's pulling down a current roster spot is a combination of his past play (v Montreal in the playoffs) and the fact the Caps brass thinks he's a calming and valuable veteran presence. Which is nothing but BS. I would take the much-maligned (and imo improved) Tyler Sloan over Poti anyday of the week.

But I'll take MaJo as my 12th forward over Flash at this point. I see a better compete level from #90.

Baby steps I guess.

btw, you wanna watch a fun team play, watch Dallas. Those guys get every bit of blood out of their stones. And the Rags-Pens game from a coupla nights ago was a beaut to watch too.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2010 1:35 AM | Report abuse

I think Hannan will step it up on this team. He's coming in with the expectation of providing a certain type of presence and you'll probably see the proverbial "new kid on the block" boost. But overall, he's not a great player anymore. He's got some grit to his game, he's not a big hitter but he's not afraid to use his stick or elbow to send a msg in the defensive zone. But after suffering thru the Joe Corvo months, a Scott Hannan seems like a godsend. I guess that's always an effective way to gain favor with the fanbase. Make a terrible trade, then follow it up with a better one.

btw, I remember watching the young duo of Scott Hannan and Brad Stuart with the Sharks. Its funny how their careers have evolved. Hannan was known as the tough kid, Stuart was known as the more talented softer defenseman. He was soft like Schultz. Was always getting run at and abused. And Hannan was always there as the grit complement.

Now the roles are almost reversed. Stuart is known as the big hitting defensive dman and Hannan is known as a guy who can move the puck around a little and still play some D. In all my yrs of watching hockey, I've never seen any player undergo a transformation the way Brad Stuart did. Imagine if in 3 or 4 yrs, someone like Alzner became Anton Volchenkov. That's kinda what happened to Brad Stuart. He really filled out his frame and he became one of the league's biggest hitters. Insane in the membrane!

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Did no one watch GMGM on NHL Live earlier today? We are going to re-sign Semin, or at least it really, really sounds like it.

McPhee (on re-signing Semin): "Well, you know, we can't do anything until January 1st, anyways... but we're a team that's going to keep the players that we want to keep, and we will be aggressive to do so. This will be resolved before the season is over."

Sounds like Semin will remain a Cap. Personally, I would be ecstatic if we were to sign him to a long-term deal.

Also, for those of you saying that one of our young goalies could be used as a bargaining chip for Brad Richards, that's not happening either. Seriously, watch GMGM on NHL Live. It made me feel alot better to hear him take all of the Semin/Varlamov/Neuvirth trade rumors and toss them right out the window.

GMGM said that there is absolutely no way that he will be trading either of our goalies.

Posted by: JB-RockTheRed | December 1, 2010 1:49 AM | Report abuse

Also nice to see Carlson regain some of his attitude in the last few games. His competitive game on the defensive end really went south after he got criticized in the beginning of the season. Frankly, it was disgusting to watch him play. I had pencilled in as a guy who would make life hard for the opposition in the def zone. To see him play like an unmotivated confused powderpuff was very disconcerting.
Lately he's reverted back to being more competitive so I hope he keeps it up. Nothing more disheartening than watching a talented gritty young dman play way below his potential.

So I wonder which dman is riding pine now? You have to think Green, Carlson, Alz, Hannan and Schultz are the top 5 in the Caps' eyes. That leaves Poti, Erskine, and Sloan to battle things out. Erskine should be a shoe-in and does not deserve to be rotated in and out. The Caps really need to dump one more dman. Either Poti who they stupidly re-signed. Or Schultz or Alzner in a significant trade to add either one more competitive defenseman, or one more impact forward. Either on the checking line or a good two-way forward.

Mike Fisher?

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

oh yeah, and I have to comment on the DJ King situation.

Nothing surprising with how things have transpired there. The Caps have no idea how to develop a young tough kid. And they have no idea how to go pluck someone off the waiver wire or free agency who is a much better option than a DJ King.

Ask the Blues. Thats how they got kids like Crombeen and Winchester. Guys who don't cost much, guys who play a regular shift, and guys who can do what Matt Bradley does for us but provide a bigger presence on the ice.

The Caps don't understand that role very well. That's why they're doomed to misuse it. To pretend that a DJ King type wasn't available which is why we had to apparently wait for an opportune time to pick him up from the Blues and give up a decent prospect in return, that's just a lot of double-talk. Guys like King are a dime a dozen. He's not some rare commodity. He's not some ultra tough guy. And he's certainly not some ultra tough guy who can pull down 18 shifts a game. But given the right opportunity, he should be able to at least pull down 6 or 7 shifts per game. He was an average transaction which is being made worse by the Caps' complete bewilderment on how to best utilize or develop him. I don't know if McPhee fell in love with the clip of King fighting Boogaard and thats why he went out and got him. But if he did, he did exactly what Detroit did 2 decades ago when they pursued a kid named Troy Crowder who had inexplicably won a fight against the reigning NHL heavy at the time - Bob Probert. Instead of looking at the player as a whole, Detroit and later the Kings, fell in love with the idea of finding the next tough kid. Unfortunately, Crowder was a one-hit wonder. And so is King. He's not valuable in any capacity on a team who doesn't understand how to develop young tough enforcer types. He's not skating well enough to be a forechecker, and he's a slowwww puncher. He adds nothing to our lineup. But you put him in a different regime, and he may yet develop into a contributor.

At this point, they're better off just dumping him and bringing up a guy like Pinizottto whose value the Caps seem to grasp a little easier than just a 4th line tough guy type.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2010 2:19 AM | Report abuse

To answer the poll, I'd pair Hannan with Mark Fistric.

Right after I dealt Schultz, Chimera, and Gordo to Dallas.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2010 2:21 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1, glad you could get that all off your chest.

On King, his chances of playing just went up. We'll see.

@vermontcaps, you say it's not BB's style to rotate a different guy each night, but that's exactly what BB did much of last season. Time will tell, but I'm betting on Erskine playing.

Posted by: Justafan | December 1, 2010 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back cstanton1! I don't agree with everything you write, but your opinions are well thought out and you provide valuable insight to this blog.

Posted by: MReilly9 | December 1, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Put him with Poti ... it means Erskine and Sloan will be riding pine quite a bit for depth only. They'll get in as the injury bug visits.

So why exactly is Hannan now being called a "Shutdown Dman"? Was Bouwmeester really a "Shutdown Dman" too even though the media couldn't resist describing him that way? No, he was not. Neither is Hannan. Show Hannan were Lake Anna and Deep Creek Lake are. He'll want to be wake-boarding.

Posted by: cwiseman | December 1, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Mike Fisher?

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

God I've missed your insight; I think I'm the only Erskine supporter on this site, but glad to see you're back....there's just far too many people here w/blinders on and man-crushes for Shultz and Alzner in particular; Erskine shouldn't be the odd-man out, period!

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 1, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"What if we traded green to edmonton for some of their young guys like brule, cogliano, and ryan whitney(18 assists on the lowly oilers and great on the pp). Then maybe trade the other assets from the edmonton deal and our first and/or secound round pick to dallas for richards. Thats a lot of ifs and will probably never happen..."

Sheez!! Hannon hasn't even played a game yet and already you guys have the next 4 trades all lined up and ready to go? If you think there will be any more tickering on the blue line, you're not paying attention. This is the defensive for the playoffs - like it or don't.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | December 1, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Hannan paired with Poti or Erskine. I like the Green/Shultz and Carlson/Alzner combos and think Hannan would work well with either Poti or Erskine. For those worried about Erskine being the odd man out I'd say don't worry. Between Poti and Green's injury issues plus any others that come up, the lumberjack should still see a good amount of playing time.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 1, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse