Semin a 'maybe' for tonight's game

Alexander Semin, who has been dogged by a right wrist injury for much of season, still might be able to play tonight, according to Coach Bruce Boudreau. The winger did not take the pregame skate this morning.

"Maybe," is all Boudreau would say when asked if Semin would be in the lineup against the Maple Leafs. We should know more during warmups.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 15, 2010; 5:10 PM ET
 | Tags: Alexander Semin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Theodore to start, Semin might be sidelined
Next: Semin to suit up

Comments

A, O, Let's Go!

Can we please avoid another 4-1 deficit tonight?

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | January 15, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

from previous thread:

@CapsFan75,

I voted against it because Kovy's salary would make it difficult for us to sign other players we really need.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 15, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 15, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

With respect to Semin and taking days off, @CapsChick and others were harping on Sasha with the worst of insults after a bad game maybe 6 weeks ago, and I stated at that time that it was clear from his play he was injured. Turned out the following morning the club announced the re0injury of his wrist and that he was sitting out for a time.

I say this not to take credit for any keen insight, but to remind the harshest of critics that you simply don't know what a player is playing through. Sasha was out there and playing less than 100% because he was trying to play through the pain and the limitations, not because he's a hack, lazy, or a poor player. As with his English, attitude, or any other measure, you don't work alongside him, so please don't assign the worst of attributes to him. The guy's one of the game's elite players and we should be thankful we have him.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 15, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sonyask | January 15, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

It's about time to get changed and over to VC. I'm thrilled to be getting back in the seats and with seeing Jose in net. Sasha should do whatever is best for his health and his (our) future.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 15, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

On Fighting:

Skill, speed, esprit de corps, sure, I dig all of that, too. But I think the fighting part of hockey (and make no mistake: like it or not, it is a part of the game) speaks to the primitive in all of us. This is true even for the folks who say they don't like it and who add that one who wants to see fights should look elsewhwere. Please!!

Consider the alternatives:

--"'Pro' Wrestling"? Not even close! What is this but a low form of ghettofabulous melodrama? One where every televised hour usually contains:

-10 minutes of commercials...most of them being ads for the next related pay-per-view "event"!
-5 minutes of insipid commentary,
-30 minutes of over-the-top, cheek-fluttering, steroid-fueled trash-talk
-15 minutes of (fake) fighting...if you're lucky.

--Boxing? Give me a break. Even if the major fights on pay-per-view weren't such an obvious rip-off, there is some subtle manipulation going on viz.: any fight above middlewight class, it seems as though Don King is promoting both of the fighters invloved, and so he gets Paid regardless of the outcome...

--MMA? Cm'On!...Yes, I know it's as close to a real street fight as you're likely to see on TV...but I find the whole emphasis on ground fighting somewhat boring...it reminds me of two exhausted crabs trying to have sex. And the fighters seem to put a great deal of importance on how tough their ink and piercings make them look.

No thanks, People...Give me a hockey fight now and then over any other kind of fight...there's just something collossally funny about two guys trying to keep their balance on skates while they have-at one another with the fisticuffs:

-The fights--though brief--are real,
-They aren't hyped out of all proportion for months ahead of time,
-They aren't fixed or rigged,
-Nobody has a direct financial interest in their outcome,
-They aren't burdened by an avalanche of trash-talk,
-They just...happen.

Oh, and before you Damien Cox wannabees out there go slamming me for being bloody-minded, know that I do watch the games primarily for the athletic skill on display. The occasional "docy doe" (sic.)...excuse me...that's spelled: "dō-si-dō"...is, IMHO, a bonus.

That said, I am still a bit on the fence as to whether or not we really need an enforcer type.

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 15, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

when every sports league in this country is crying about the declining interest of their sport, the TV ratings for the NFL just keeps going up and up and they've had their best year yet.

the NFL does NOT allow any sideshows even if some may call the league "No Fun League"... they just stay the course and sell their game better than any other.

their fans always cheer for the logo on the helmet, the TEAM... not the individual players.

it's something the NHL should learn from... get rid of the fighting and sell the friggin' game!

Posted by: joek443 | January 15, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | January 15, 2010 5:51 PM

@joek443:

other things the NFL Ødoes really wellØ:

--Favor megacorporations (Reebok) over independent businesses (American Needle) when it comes to merchandising agreements,
--Charge exhorbitant amounts of money for even the worst seats in a 40,000-60,000 seat stadiums for a season consisting of what? maybe 11 home games at the most? (compare with NHL: charges less money for more games in smaller arenas).
--Sell food at the games that is both terrible and ridiculously expensive (food at the Phone Booth may not be cheap, but it doesn't suck, either),
--Sue season ticket holders when economic hardship forces them to stop paying for multi-year packages (cough Redskins cough, cough),
--Make exclusive deals with DirecTV so that you have to have a satellite dish to see your team if you are out-of-market...and that $200.00+ still doesn't protect you from missing games that get blacked out at the last minute! Oh, and never mind if you are one of the millions of Americans for whom a satellite dish just can't work.
--Have players whose off-the-field dramas are as widely discussed as their on-the-field performance (Favre,Burris--who would name their kid "Plaxico" anyway?--Vick,Brady; the list goes on and on).

Frankly I like that we can see hockey player's faces, and cheer for individuals as well as for the whole team--it means I can recognize any of the players if I meet them on the sidewalk--not just the ones that have megabuck endorsement deals. I can even look them in the eye when I shake their hands...without having to strain my neck.

This, IMHO, is better than having a bunch of faceless giant robots I might not recognize on the street.

No, I'm sticking with Hockey, even though it isn't perfect (e.g. the endless stream of stinkin' Crosby-love issuing forth from the League offices).

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 15, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

20K fans X 24 cities = Less than half a mil fans

that's about the number of hockey fans in this country and that number is NEVER gonna change unless they're willing to make dramatic changes.

Posted by: joek443 | January 15, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse