Semin and Poti Miss Practice

The Caps are on the ice at Kettler minus winger Alexander Semin and defenseman Tom Poti, both of whom were injured Tuesday against the Senators.

Semin is day-to-day with a tailbone injury; Poti is day-to-day with an upper body injury. Both are currently receiving treatment.

Alex Ovechkin and Michael Nylander also aren't skating. It's believed they are okay, just resting some bumps, bruises and, in Alex's case, a sore skate blade wound on his thigh.

Right wing Chris Clark, meantime, skated on his own again this morning. He said he's slowly improving, but couldn't say for sure when he'll start practicing with the team.

Update: Injured goalie Brent Johnson watched some of practice from the bench in street clothes. He said he's not making the trip, but is targeting Jan. 9 against Colorado as his return date.

Update: Poti will not make the trip to Boston and Montreal, according to Boudreau. But Semin will travel and is expected to play. Ovechkin and Nylander are also going play.

As such, the forward lines will remain the same and defenseman John Erskine will replace Poti.

Update: Boudreau said there are no plans to call up anyone -- yet. Boudreau and GM George McPhee will watch the Bears play at Worcester tonight before deciding whether to make a recall.

Also caught up with majority owner Ted Leonsis. He declined to discuss the negotiations with Ovechkin, but did say this: "We love Alex Ovechkin. He's the bedrock piece of the rebuild of our team, and I expect him Alex Ovechkin to be a Washington Capital for a long, long, long time."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 2, 2008; 10:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Semin and Poti Sidelined
Next: Backstrom Rookie of the Month; Semin Out

Comments

How did Semin get injured? Did he get planted on his rear?

Posted by: GO Skins GO | January 2, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Man, Clarkie is STILL out... This just isn't good for the team. We need him back on the ice. Knowing him, he's probably going nuts too and cursing the VC ice. Are we sure it's nothing more than a strain thou? Sounds alot more serious given the amount of time he's been off.

BTW, how about that sweet GWG from Brooksy last night while on his knees! WOW! :-)

Posted by: Tracy | January 2, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Semin looked fine when he retaliated and cost is a Power Play. Still, the Senators player could have gotten a second penalty for shoving semin in the face. You can't whistle Semin for a shove and not the Sens player for doing the same thing.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 2, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Sasha got cross-checked low on his back, and I think he took a tumble on the play to. Getting Johnny back would be good. Olie's going to need a real break at some point.

Posted by: EricS | January 2, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, does Olie look hurt to you? That second goal was just not that hard a save last night. I realize there was a defensive break down as usual, but it really appears to me that Olie is having a hard time moving side to side. Could his knee be bothering him again? He had trouble side to side the last time he had a bum knee.

Posted by: Bob | January 2, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Tarik-
Is it me or is Semin getting his share of cheap shots lately? (like Gonchar used to)...

Posted by: dave | January 2, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik,
Just wondering what Eminger's state of mind is right now. It's been pretty quiet regarding him since he expressed his displeasure. It can't be helping anyone to have him just sitting and not getting any game action. Any idea what in the world is going on? Has he been completely written off and no one else is interested in him?

Posted by: Jay | January 2, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Ditto what Jay said. Why does ohsoslow Erskine continue to get released from purgatory over 44?

Posted by: Yosh | January 2, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

@Tracy

How is Clark being out not good for the team?

Just askin'. :)

I miss seeing him out there and I definitely miss his grit. It'd be interesting to see if he's able to help us overcome these OT issues we're getting ourselves into.

Posted by: keef | January 2, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, What do you think Mikey Green's chances of making the All-Star game is???

Posted by: ZackAttack | January 2, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Get well soon boys!

Looking forward to tommorrows game...We need to ride 3 points out of the next two games before this big homestand..

Posted by: SA-Town | January 2, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Has there been any talk of making a call up with Clark and Semin out and Laing banged up as well? I would think they would have to do something if Laing is unable to go tomorrow night.

As for Olie, he just looks spent in my opinion. You can see it when the final horn goes after each game. Like yesterday, you would think he'd be pretty pumped about beating Ottawa again, but when the buzzer went he just kinda looked toward the bench, slowly raised his glove and then welcomed the boys in the crease. I truly believe he needs a few days off and hopefully Cassivi will get the start Saturday in Montreal.

Posted by: Mitch | January 2, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Could you all imagine what kind of confidence boost that would give Green if he got selected to the All Star game and wasn't even on the ballot? You think he's hot now. You probably haven't seen anything yet if he makes the Eastern All Star Team.

Posted by: Mitch | January 2, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@Keef

Just look at Clarkie's numbers - In 17 games, he's got 5 goals and 3 assists. Assuming he was healthy I would expect him to have 16 pts by now (actually I would expect alot more from him) which would make him 6th for the team in points. Bottom line - he's a producer! And if we are finding the back of the net, we avoid the OT situation.

Tarik - Ditto on others comments... Any chance Greenie makes the All Star Team? I would love to see he and Ovie in Atlanta. I think it's a given Nicky is making the Young Star Team, agree?

Posted by: Tracy | January 2, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

As much as we would all love to see Green playing in the All Star game, let's just get Ovechkin there.

Posted by: Finn | January 2, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

If Nicky doesn't play in the youngstars game, then Bettman needs a Ovie slapshot to the head. Bettman also needs another Ovie slapshoot for the POOR announcing of yesterdays NHL's Sidney Crosby Classic.

Dude, I can juggle a puck three times with my stick.....but you don't hear anyone talking about it do you? I'm surprised NBC didn't put a "Crosby Cam" on Cindy yesterday and do commentary from that.

Eddie O: Well Doc, here you can see Crosby using the bathroom.

Doc: Yes, it looks as if he's making a spin-o-rama move in the stall

Eddie O: Yes, Doc, you are correct. Wait, He's sitting down. Ladies and Gentleman I cannot believe what I just saw....Sidney Crosby squats to use the toilet.

Doc: Unbelievable!!! Let's show this again in slow motion!!

Posted by: Mitch | January 2, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Green deserves an ASG berth, but it'll be hard getting two Caps on the team. Let's try to make sure Ovie is voted into the starting lineup.

Posted by: tallbear | January 2, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@Finn,

I think OV getting there is a given, Greener is a looonnnng shot this year. I'd expect to see him on the ballot next year though.

Posted by: Steve R | January 2, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

So is the lack of AO signing due to gmgm or is it due to Ted or even Ovie? Just curious b/c I'm finding a hard time understanding why he isn't just signed already. We all know it's going to happen and that the Caps will match any offer made but why bother waiting that long? Why not try to get a deal?

Posted by: K | January 2, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@Finn - You actually have doubts Ovie won't be there?????? He'll be there.

Our Club should have done what the Pens did... they set up voting areas around their concourse for fans to vote before, during, & after the game. Also had folks walking around with laptops so folks could vote while standing in line. I was there for the game on the 27th and did my part and voted for our boys. That's why Sids numbers are so much higher. I talked to some fans last night about it and they said they told Caps Marketing awhile ago that the Devils were doing/did the same thing. Guess the idea fell on deaf ears.... It's unfortunate cause game time is the best time to get fans to vote and vote often. To late now.

Posted by: Tracy | January 2, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I was at practice on Mon. and noticed Semin on the bench towards the end of practice messing with [what looked like] his left hip area. I guess the check he recieved last night bothered the area. Get well soon Semin =[

Posted by: Anonymous | January 2, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Is Greener still eligible for the YoungStars Game?

I know he played in it last year -- is it just for rookies or can you be selected to participate in it for a certain amount of time? (Like your first 2 seasons?)

Posted by: Jurcina Junkie | January 2, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Is there any word on whether Semin will be out of tomorrow's lineup? How frustrated is he playing hurt for pretty much the entire season?

Rich

Posted by: Rich | January 2, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@Mitch

"If Nicky doesn't play in the youngstars game, then Bettman needs a Ovie slapshot to the head." Could not agree more!!!

Posted by: Tracy | January 2, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Was Semin really hurt? Or was he benched for retaliating against Phillips cross check and costing the team a power play?

Posted by: Joe | January 2, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I actually meant "let's get him in the STARTING line up!"

Posted by: Finn | January 2, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

You need to dig up some dirt on why Eminger isnt going to ever get into the lineup.

Did he have a relationship with GMGM's daughter or something?

Posted by: TJ | January 2, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@Rich,

He has $9 million in his pocket for the next 2 years. I would say the frustration would lie more in the front office

Posted by: sean | January 2, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

So, Laing still sits? Not sure about that. But, Petter looked better after his benching. Erskine for Poti is not such a great switch. Maybe Emmer can get in for Erskine for the MTL game. Then they can trade him for a skate sharpening machine or something.

Posted by: old time hockey | January 2, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Happy New Year Everyone :D

What a game last night. I couldn't see the first 10 minutes. I checked the result online and saw 2-0 for the Sens and thought: "awww... well we got 2 points last game..." Then when I turned on the game it was 4-2 Caps, wth lol.

I don't know about you, but it felt so good to see our boys attacking again and again and playing at the same level (or even better) as the Sens.

The team has improved. Do you remember the turnovers that costed us several games? Not many more of those huh? And what about the "hang-your-head" attitude when a small thing went wrong?

In the past we had lots of bounces against... but when you play like the last few games, somehow you "gain" and create the right bounces.

Still work needed on: Defense Killer Instinct. Opponents need to be sit when behind our net when 5 on 5. Defense should be more aggressive in general.

It would be good timing to sign AO AND Green AND Backstrom soon... for a long time if possible. We obviously want AO, but certainly want to keep those youngsters to build a legacy.

GO CAPS!

Posted by: mauree | January 2, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

One other thing: can everyone please calm down about the stupid all-star game already. Remember, we had a former MVP of the young stars game on our squad in October- Suds. He may of been a young star, but that didn't make his a real star.

Posted by: old time hockey | January 2, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@Mauree,

I didn't see anything there about re-signing Olie. You got any thoughts on goalie?

Couldn't agree more about locking in Green and OV, though Backstrom can wait a bit. He's not a RFA for what, 3 years?

Posted by: Steve R | January 2, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

1) So no word on Steve Eminger? Did he hit on GMGM's wife/daughter or something? Geez, if he isn't in the teams plans they should play/showcase/trade him.
2) Not playing him reduces any trade value. Makes no sense. Its not like Jurcina or Erskine are having MVP seasons that Eminger can't rotate in.
3) Two games played out of 40 is a joke. The guys getting paid a million bucks to sit in the press box. Hey GMGM, we can find a long list of folks who'd take 1/2 that to sit and watch the games up there!

Posted by: Fauxrumors | January 2, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Why do we need Clark back? The team has been doing fine without him. I am a fan of Clark, but don't fix it if it's not broken.

2 Points behind 2nd place Atlanta & Florida
5 Points out of the 8th playoff spot
6 Points behind 1st place Carolina

We need to hit a 4+ game winning streak! Boston has struggled of late and Montreal is having troubles winning at home... this could be a good break for us. Not to mention the Caps have been sick in Canada this year.

I don't think Olie is hurt, he is just getting older. His lateral movement isn't like it used to be. Oh well, who cares who is in goal - NEW RULE - if the Caps score 6 goals or more, we win... AND, we get free wings from Austin Grill... I'm heading over there in a bit to pick up my 2lbs of wings.

I appreciate Nylander stepping up the past few games. We need that out of him... guess he has been reading the blogs.

Backstom is awesome - did he get rookie of the month for December? I'll check

Posted by: 828 | January 2, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Holding judgment on Olie, waiting to see how his season turns out. Tomorrow's game will end the first half of season, lots of hockey still to be played.

In any case, Olie deserves respect. He's an NHL veteran goalie, and its OUR goalie. As of now, pending on how the season unfolds, I'd sign him for one/two more year(s) (less salary though) to play/pass his experience on a promising youngster.

Posted by: mauree | January 2, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

The "long, long time" comment from Leonsis is word for word what McPhee told Christine Simpson on Verses in Detroit.

I imagine you missed that. It appears to be the official company line comment.

Posted by: Rob | January 2, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Eminger is not playing because he was so bad at defense that they are trying to train him to become a goalie.

Posted by: 828 | January 2, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

If Kolzig is re-signed, then it is ONLY for "shopping window" reasons.

Posted by: Finn | January 2, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@Finn,

Figured you'd take a swing at the Olie softball that I threw out there.

Posted by: Steve R | January 2, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Ted needs to put his money where his mouth is.

Anxiously waiting for Pothier's Thumb to weigh in...

Posted by: Jill | January 2, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Since goalies seem to be a hot topic... I think Fleury is coming to the end of his time in pittsburgh. Think they will re-sign him? I know thye haven't been too happy with him this season. If they decide to go another way - I wouldn't mind having him in net here.

I am also interested in knowing more about Eminger. He is better than Shultz (for now anyway). What is the deal???

Posted by: cs | January 2, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Anybody have an idea why the Caps called up Cassivi not McChesney, who is 9-2-1 with a 2.03 in 14 games? Cassivi is 10-9-1 in 20 games with a 3 gaa. I know that Cassivi has been called up a couple times and had very good seasons the last two years, but he is as old as Olie and will never be an NHL goalie. McChesney has a chance to rise and could use the experience. I guess BB trusts his old workhorse who is consistent, but well past his best days. I think the Caps should give McChesney a chance to prove himself and see what the Caps have for next year. Olie is getting OLD and fairly slow. He has looked like swiss-cheese at times and looks very tired playing so much lately.

Posted by: JIM | January 2, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I think they wanted to be able to give McChesney the oppurtunity to play more. Being down at Hershey he gets to play every game now if he were here he would be playing less then he was as a back up in Hershey. It makes sense to me...let the kid develop more. I'd have loved to see him up here to see what he's made of but I think in the long run this is better for him. Who knows maybe next year he'll wow us all at training camp and will be our starter....Something's gotta give with the goalie situation though. I like Olie and I think he's doing average but that is not going to be enough

Also I thought Fleury was doing ok except now he's got that high ankle sprain...was he doing bad before that?

Posted by: K | January 2, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Tracy, they set up All-Star voting laptops last year at the Verizon Center - not sure why they didn't do that this year... maybe because we get so many fans from the other teams, that they would be voting for other players... Remember, the Pitt game was not to long ago - how many of them would have voted for Crosby, etc.

I wouldn't mind Fleury either... what we need is someone like Nabokov, Biron, or Kiprusoff. Someone who gets a ton of shots against but has a GAA under 2.5 - Olie is above 3. Again, if we score 6 goals, every night, I don't care who is in goal.

Posted by: 828 | January 2, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I was at the Hershey game New Years Eve, and MaChesney was excellent for the Bears in a 2-1 win over the Phantoms.

Posted by: FS | January 2, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Leonsis: "We love Alex Ovechkin. He's the bedrock piece of the rebuild of our team, and I expect him Alex Ovechkin to be a Washington Capital for a long, long, long time."

That's why are going to negotiate for a long, long, long time. :-)

Posted by: alexovetjkin | January 2, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night/afternoon, and was the most exciting first 10 mins of a hockey game in a long, long, time. Pond hockey aside, watching Green go end to end was sweet.

As far as Semin goes, he's going to be like this his entire career, he's a prima donna, and acts out like a kid all the time. I'm sure he's not injured, just being a baby and Jagr'ish.

Spezza/Heatly/Alfredsson is one of the best lines in the history of the NHL. It was amazing watching them work the puck around and get shots - it was like a man advantage when they're on the ice - especially against a Caps checking line.

Caps definitely need an upgrade on defense, so hopefully they can find someone to add to the mix via free agency or trade once Clark comes back.

Anyone else see Nylander take a perfectly good scoring opportunity and instead of shooting, do the spin-a-rama and turn it into nothing - during the second period?? Even Emery was confused about that one.

Posted by: Jaymagz | January 2, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Nylander does that ALL the time...it's so annoying...there are times to do the spinny thing and then there are times to shoot...

Posted by: K | January 2, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@Jaymagz

I don't know about best in NHL history, but I agree that line is one of the league best right now, they're just amazing.

Posted by: mauree | January 2, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

BB is my hero watch today's coach daily's dialog when he talks about working out lol.

Posted by: mauree | January 2, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Are the rumors true about a "Winter Classic" at RFK stadium? I can only imagine 9500+ die hard Caps fans shaking the bleachers for a Panthers vs. Caps SE Conference Battle!

Posted by: SA-Town | January 2, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

We need Clark because he is a heart and soul guy. His points are down because he was on the third line much of the early part of the season. He instantly got on the score sheet as soon a she got re-paired with AO.

Posted by: Sombrero guy | January 2, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, talk about serendipity having the Bears right there near Boston tonight. That's not good news about Potti. We really need him in soon.

Posted by: EricS | January 2, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I just can't let this Cassivi question go ... he has NEVER won an NHL game, has not played in the bigs yet this season, AND is no spring chicken. So why is it that we want to put him in against the 4th best team in the conference? We have some momentum here ... let's keep it going! Sounds Johnny will be back soon - Olie can rest then. It may sound cold-hearted, but I'm sorry - teams don't make it to the playoffs by making sentimental decisions. AT LEAST start Olie and put Cassivi in if we build a nice lead.

Posted by: Boo! | January 2, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Olie's not exactly reliable right now. I cringe every time a team gets a breakaway...I have faith in Bruces decisions. He hasn't really let us down yet. I think he knows what he's doing. It's not the defense that has been winning games for us.

Posted by: K | January 2, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Any truth to these rumors coming out of Canada?

Posted by: Brian | January 2, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh no not this AGAIN!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 2, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Those rumors aren't true, according to someone one I spoke to recently. The Caps are going to pay him more than that, and they know it.

Posted by: Tarik | January 2, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

BB clearly stated that he's thinking about it, and "it will depend on Olie". So it's possible, but I wouldn't label it "probable".

It's true that Olie is playing good right now, but maybe he does need a rest. I imagine BB is thinking of the scenario: put Cassivi between the pipes and if things get ugly, put Olie back in (which will boost him even more btw).

I think (from the interview) it should be on tomorrow's game though, not Montreal.

Posted by: mauree | January 2, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

So, aside from Olie, what goalie UFA's are out there end of this season? Bryzgalov? Huet?

Posted by: Bobo | January 2, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
so many nice olie posts lately ... is that REALLY you?!? i think someone has been using your name!! ;-) anyway, i'll buy your scenario, but would still prefer that it be against a different team ...

Posted by: Boo! | January 2, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@Jaymagz,
I don't know what game you were watching yesterday but if you really think the Spezza-Heatley-Alfredsson was great, you need to get new glasses. Here's the Ottawa Sun's take on their play:
"Their best forward line -- Dany Heatley, Jason Spezza and Alfredsson -- was horrible at both ends of the ice.
It was the first time in 11 games that one of them didn't produce a goal."

And if you don't believe that report, how about what the Ottawa Citizen had to say:
"While Paddock has often leaned on the top line of Jason Spezza, Dany Heatley and Alfredsson in times of trouble this season, all three of the Senators' big guns were dreadful yesterday. Inside their own zone. In the neutral zone. Even in the offensive zone. In all three areas, they were beaten to the puck and outbattled."

Posted by: b.orr4 | January 2, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

People, please, for the love of all that is holy, can we stop freaking out about Ovechkin's contract? Look, there are a number of very good, valid reasons why a deal may not be done, and neither the team nor the player are panicking.

Stop for a minute and think about this (I keep saying it on the Caps boards and elsewhere, but everyone just seems to ignore it). The Salary Cap in the NHL is directly tied to league revenues (I think 54% if I recall). The NHL says they are once again projecting record breaking attendance, resulting in increased revenue from the gate. The merchandising sales are going to be record breaking as well, due in large part to the fact that the new style jerseys, and brand new jerseys/logos for some teams, resulting in increased revenue.

So come July, the salary cap is once again going to take a jump up. The cap of what any one team can pay to any one individual player is directly tied to the Cap maximum (20%). So, come summer when the cap ceiling goes up, the ceiling for an individual player's salary will go up. For those who can't put 2+2 together that means Alex has a possibility to make more money by waiting.

But, you ask, why would the Caps see a benefit in waiting (if they do see one)? Well, Leonsis is on the record saying his desire is to only spend money to the midpoint level between the cap ceiling and floor (in essence creating his own cap). Well, when the ceiling goes up the floor goes up and the midpoint goes up. Waiting to understand the economic climate at the end of the season, as it could change pretty drastically if revenues league-wide go up as much as some are projecting they may, could make a big difference. Leonsis might feel much more comfortable talking about a 10M+ salary if the midpoint of the cap allows for such a salary while still retaining space under his self imposed cap to resign other free agents (i.e. Olie, if they are going to, et al.) and make other additions as they see fit.

Moral of the story here is there are many angles from which to view this, but getting all riled up over unsubstantiated reports and rumors just isn't worth it.

Posted by: Jay | January 2, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

@Jay,

You took all the fun out of a perfectly good rumor.

Posted by: Bobo | January 2, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else read that rumor and start to get the feeling of anger in their fists? Sorta like Brash did the other night against Neil. I wonder who our punching bag should be? Any suggestions? I have one, but will let the masses decide for me.

Posted by: Mitch | January 2, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@Bobo

Sorry. But I have the best of intentions at heart. :)

Posted by: Jay | January 2, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

@Bobo

Sorry. But I have the best of intentions at heart. :)

Posted by: Jay | January 2, 2008 03:34 PM

Ain't that some sort of Honkey Tonk Song?

Posted by: Mitch | January 2, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@Mitch,

Fists of Anger? Wasn't that a Bruce Lee movie?

I'm still pissed about Bryzgalov.

Jay's right about plenty of time to sign OV and no need to panic.

I'd guess Don Cherry started the rumor. After all, the only stage worthy of OV has to be in Canada.

Posted by: Bobo | January 2, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

@ K

"Olie's not exactly reliable right now. I cringe every time a team gets a breakaway"

I cringe every time they come in our zone

Posted by: Just make a save | January 2, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Mitch, next time a Leaf fan says Ovie should play in Toronto, mention that Ovie wants to win a Cup, so Toronto would definitely be off the list.

Posted by: tallbear | January 2, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Just make a save,

That is the funniest thing I have heard today. I get the same feeling... also when Brashear is on a break away - even though he does have a nasty slap shot.

Posted by: 828 | January 2, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Just make a save and 828

I agree with both of you. Have you noticed how hard it is for Kolzig to get up? He is always on his knees...

Posted by: Finn | January 2, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm over Kolzig - no matter what he does or does not do on the ice, people defend him. He is a great person and I do respect him. I just wish he could bring back his A game. After that 8-6 win vs the Sens, I would have liked to been a fly on the wall when Alex came up to Olie after the game. What was that convo like?

Either way, we score 6, we win... so, that is what I will be hoping for - Not a new goalie, but 6 goals.

Posted by: 828 | January 2, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I just hope Kolzig retired after this season. Otherwise we will be subjected to more of his flops.

Posted by: Finn | January 2, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I love when Erskine is in the lineup. I like how this guy plays. Anywho, keep it up, Caps.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | January 2, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

And people busted my chops when I suggested a couple of weeks ago that Olie wasn't to blame, OV just needed to score more goals....

Posted by: Steve R | January 2, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Who would we rather have lose tonight during the ATL vs CAR game?

I'm hoping it's Carolina... if we can catch them, we will be looking better and better.

Posted by: 828 | January 2, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Steve R

Is that the glass half empty or the glass half full methodology?

Posted by: 828 | January 2, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Can you get Ted to buy us WP bloggers tickets to the Buffalo vs Caps game up in Buffalo? We can bring signs, spill beer on each other, and chant "Lets go Washington" all night long!

Posted by: 828 | January 2, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

828 - I've never done a Caps road trip, but I am willing to give it a shot!! ;-) But why Buffalo? I don't think we play up there again until March. Regardless, it would be interesting to see this group together ... at this point, I think I can picture just about everyone!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | January 2, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

ohhhh, here is a chant:

"Get it done, Washington"

Redneck version

"Get'er done, Washington"

Posted by: 828 | January 2, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

@828,

Is there a method to the Caps madness?

Put Laing in net. Just ask OV to score 8 a night.

Posted by: Steve R | January 2, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I just want to go into Buffalo like they come into Washington... them or Pitt. Just want to give them a taste of their own medicine. Plus, if we had a large group, we would be louder. It wouldn't do much justice, if I was yelling by myself, now would it?

Posted by: 828 | January 2, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Steve R,

I like it!!! However, not sure how comfortable Laing would be with a mask on.

Posted by: 828 | January 2, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

That'd be so cool, a convoy of 20+ Caps bloggers invades Buffalo. I'd be in if enough people (and it's a 10 hour drive for me).

Posted by: mauree | January 2, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@828

You root for the game to not go into OT/SO.

Posted by: Bubba | January 2, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Caps road trip sounds fun to me but don't they do that with the Caps Fan Club? I could have sworn that I read that somewhere. Hmm...I wonder how hard it would be to get a good group of Caps lovers together. That'd be fun...and then we would all know who we were yelling and insulting on the blogs! :)

Posted by: K | January 2, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey, all who are suggesting a road trip, you should really consider joining the CapsRoadCrew bus trip to Carolina on Feb. 23rd.

There are two buses going down and I believe there is still space left on the second bus. I've "retired" from my affiliation with the CRC (I founded it in 2000) but its always a blast and the Carolina trips are the best.

I believe there's going to be a huge tailgate before the game and its a 5pm game so the bus should be back in DC by midnight. And its pretty affordable too, its usually around $100 (not sure of the exact price this year) and everyone is together in one block in the lower level. If anyone likes the idea I'd be willing to talk to Sherri (who runs things now) and make sure the WP folks here get a block together and are on the same bus. Anyone?

Posted by: Jay | January 2, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the fan club does road trips and so does ... what's it called ... oh, just found it on the Caps website - the "road crew":

I vote for 828's other suggestion - Pitt (Buffalo is too far away, and I dislike the fans of each equally ;-)).

That would be pretty funny ... I wonder if I could pick everyone out in a crowd? COULD YOU?!? Who looks like what?!?

Posted by: Boo! | January 2, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

All, both Buffalo and Pittsburgh would be nearly impossible to get group tickets for. Pittsburgh does usually try to accommodate but they have very high demand now and their ability to get a block of tickets is not high. And from someone who has been there several times, its a terrible place to take a road trip (the arena is horrible and I've had some really horrible experiences there with fans). It's the one city I refuse to go back to (I've been to all of the arenas at least once).

Posted by: Jay | January 2, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh, the other thing is the remaining game in Buffalo is a Wednesday night and the Pittsburgh game is a Monday night. Other possibilities, aside form Carolina, might be the Fri. Feb. 29 game in New Jersey or the Sat. March 8 game in Boston.

Posted by: Jay | January 2, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the info, Jay ... we must have been typing at the same time! :-) Sorry to repea the "road crew" entry. BTW, I went to the Road Crew website and was amused by the following rule:

"A requirement of your reservation is that you and your guests MUST be Caps fans."

It's funny that that has to be said. Why anyone who was a fan would want to TRAVEL with the opposing teams' fans is beyond me, but I am sure that it has happened! People kill me ... :-D

Posted by: Boo! | January 2, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I had such a delima yesterday: I dislike both Pittsburgh and Buffalo. ANd I now feel bad for wishing something bad to happen to Crosby. I can't believe how much of a big deal they were making his one fight out to be. "He certainly stands up for himself!"

Posted by: Lee | January 2, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!
That rule went in because we were organizing a trip to Pittsburgh a number of years ago and a person I knew pretty well said they wanted to bring a friend, but the catch is they were a Pens fan living in DC. I said while I would like very much for her to attend that her friend was absolutely not welcome because we are a Caps fan organization and that I'd hope she would come by herself and I'd make sure she had fun. She told her friend he couldn't go and came anyway and she had a good time (even with the crappy game and loss).

The code of conduct is also a very important thing that I made sure was in place too. We have to remember that when we're on the road, by ourselves or in a group, that we represent our team, our city and our fellow fans and that we're guests in another team's arena. I always used to give a pep talk on the bus and pointed out the Flyers fans and Sabres fans who come into our building and we should be above that. However we should be loud and proud but 100% pro-Caps (no negativity towards the other team). We've had some really awesome trips in the past.

Carolina is always a fun trip because after the game everyone normally goes to the side of the arena where the team gets on the bus and the party continues with cheering ('cause we normally win in Carolina, lol) and often the proverbial nightcap beverage.

Posted by: Jay | January 2, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Jay:
That's pretty cool ... and quite a legacy! You should be proud!!

Lee:
I was thinking the same thing - I really don't like either team (my two least favorite - and I was born in Pitt!), but loved the idea of the Winter Classic. Too bad we will never get something like that. Oh and the Crosby fight?!? I should hope he would fight - he's in the NHL! I can't remember anyone making such a big deal about a player being willing to fight.

Posted by: Boo! | January 2, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I made roadtrip last season to Pitt with a penguins fan of mine. It was just like the games at the Phne Booth, more pens fans than caps, warm beer, and everyone looking at me funny when i was the only person standing up when the caps scored.

This season I went to the caps pens game and got pretty ticked when they were standing on the steps of the courthouse cheering and blocking traffic. we need to take back our home games!

Posted by: Lee | January 2, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Lee: AMEN!!!!!!!!!! But HOW?!?!? :-/

Posted by: Boo! | January 2, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Folks,
Have any of you considered going to Philly? I saw a game there a few years ago and it was a blast. The drive is shorter then Pit or Buf and if the Flyers do poorly, the boo birds will drown out any Caps cheers we can come up with. We won the game and laughed all the way to Geno's for cheese steaks. The way we are playing, I'm sure it would be a good time. Just an idea.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 2, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

@Boo,

Why, Shoot a couple of Pens fans, display their bodies outside the Phone Booth. That will send a message!

****Note: This is for entertainment purposes only. I in no way advocate shooting a Penguin, a Penguin fan, or display their bodies on the streets on Washington DC****

Posted by: Lee | January 2, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Boo!

Crosby is Canada's favorite Son right now. I can appreciate the kid as a player as he is exceptionally talented. But they do go over the top a little bit....no?
The way they were discussing the Winter Classic yesterday on NHL network, you'd think the sun was shining out of Sidney's arse!
It's a bit much but hockey is a huge part of the Canadian culture and I guess they have right to be proud.

I just wish he played for anybody else besides the Black Chickens.

Posted by: pmoravek | January 2, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Lee

Why not?

Posted by: pmoravek | January 2, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

@Pmoravek,

Why, there would be a lawsuit if I REEEAAALLLLY wanted to kill a Penguin, Fan or otherwise...;

I have threatened to do that to the first boy my 9 year old daughter brings home. Gotta set the example early...

Posted by: Lee | January 2, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Semin 3 pts against Boston and 2 against les petits Canadiens really bad. Canadiens sucks just like the Nordiques in the 90's

Posted by: Capitals#1 | January 2, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Lee:
Are you a lawyer? ;-)

pmoravek:
"... over the top a LITTLE bit"?!? Yes, I think that is a fair statement. Not only is he not (currently) in the top 10 for goals, he is 25th! Who is in the top 10 for BOTH goals and points this year?

lecavalier
kovalchuk
iginla
alfredsson
OVECHKIN
zetterburg

Who was top 10 for BOTH last season?

lecavalier
heatley
st. louis
hossa

(Ovie was 4th for goals and 13th for points in 2006/2007 - even Semin had more goals than Crosby last season!).

So is Crosby a phenomenal player? Absolutely!! But the stats above indicate that there are others who are (dare I say) just as good or (gasp) even better ... so why don't they get the same press? Sure, they get good press, but it is no where near close to what Crosby gets. Even Ovie does not get the same press.

Speaking of, I was stunned to see how low Ovie's All Star votes were compared to Crosby's last year - and Ovie was just coming off being rookie of the year! Geez, Crosby is like the Dorothy Hamill of hockey ...

(http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://members.aol.com/DotRoz/gold.gif&imgrefurl=http://members.aol.com/DotRoz/Biography.html&h=240&w=258&sz=36&tbnid=Q-g2ZW1y4sf7OM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=112&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddorothy%2Bhamill%26um%3D1&start=3&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=3).
Suffice it to say, the All Star votes don't surprise me this year. Hrmpf.

Posted by: Boo! | January 2, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Geez Lee

I have a boy who is ten...remind me to keep him out of your neighborhood, okay.

Everytime I see some teeny bopper at the mall wearing her Brittney Spears "I just opened a can o biscuits" jeans & belly shirt, I kneel down and give thanks that I have two boys.

Posted by: pmoravek | January 2, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Boo! | January 2, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately OV is a Euro.
I don't think he would ever get the kind of press that Crosby gets.

Posted by: pmoravek | January 2, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I have been blessed with two daughters. God has a sense of humor...

@Boo,

No, I'm not a lawyer, but I do work in a business that gets sued a lot.

Posted by: Lee | January 2, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

@BernieWolfeFan
We (the Caps Road Crew) just got back from an amazing trip to Philly. A double-header with the Bears playing the Phantoms later that day. 60+ Caps fans in an awesome suite. Check out the pics; we had a blast.

We contacted Buffalo about a group this season and they literally laughed at me on the phone. Never mind.

Pittsburg will be equally tough to get group seats in for the foreseeable future.

Per Jay's idea, if any of you would like to head down to Carolina with the CRC, just mention you're from the blog and I'll be happy to seat you together.

And as per the rule about being a Caps fan, you'd be surprised that some folks don't assume that. Really.

Posted by: zuco | January 2, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

My wife and I would definitely be up for a WaPo Bloggers road trip to a Caps game. That would be fun as hell and would give the Caps a lot of needed support. We should try to correspond it with the Road Crew that way we have more people going up to cheer the boys on. So, if your looking for bodies...count two for me and my wife.

Posted by: Mitch | January 2, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

@Zuco,
Great to hear the Philly trip was a success. I have to admit my trip was in 2000 and for a preseason (we won 2-1) so the players/game itself was abit fuzzy. Regardless, it was a BLAST and I will get on the Caps Road Bandwagon soon. It reminds me now what it is to be a real fan. Thanks for the nudge, and I will look up The Road Crew games.

Our chant in Philly:
Let's Go Cap-I-Tals! Lets Go Cap-I-Tals!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 2, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Coming from someone who has been on many road trips - everyone SHOULD! They are a blast! And the Caps really appreciate having fans cheering them on while on the road.

Posted by: Tracy | January 2, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I've been to Carolina seven times on the CapsRoadCrew bus. I've never had a bad time, even when the Caps have lost. Two buses going this season, 100 Caps fans in the RBC Center!

We're usually loud enough to be heard on TV and radio broadcasts with half that number. I bring my horn (for goal celebrations only), as it's the only arena I've been to that still lets me in with it.

Anyone interested should come. Check out the RULES OF THE ROAD first.

Posted by: The Horn Guy | January 2, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Only an incompetent GM would sign a guy like Casual Kozlov and a scrub like Brent Johnson. It's also pretty funny we're paying Clymer a million bucks to play in the minors. Caps need a new GM badly..

Posted by: onewhoknows | January 2, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, I just thought a road trip to Buffalo would be cool because they travel all the way down here and make a mess. You can ALWAYS get tickets... I don't care what the event is.

Bubba - "You root for the game to not go into OT/SO." I don't think I said anything about OT or SOs, but since you asked... if the Caps are down by 4, then yes, I root for OT. If the Caps are up, then I dont... or, were you asking - would I rather want OT or SOs? I like the SOs... makes it for an exciting ending.

Boo! - you couldn't pick me out from a crowd... I think it would be tough to pick everyone out from a crowd... we see personalities here, but text is a lot different than people, ya know?

Either way, I was just hoping Tarik could ask Ted about getting us tix. I know there are road trips and what not, but I'm sure Ted could pull some strings to get tix - even get someone to sponsor the trip. Just a thought - Buffalo would be the best place to go - not in the winter, but in the fall or spring. I just want payback... Pitt and Buffalo are my least favorite teams as well - hopefully they all caught a cold!

Posted by: 828 | January 2, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

828 - I dunno ... put a group of WAPO Tarik blog posters together, and I bet a lot of us could figure out who is who! LOL!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | January 2, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Maybe when they all started talking about the Caps...

Posted by: 828 | January 2, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

828 - exactly!

Posted by: Boo! | January 2, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Maybe put us in a line and have Tarik play a game of guess who?

Posted by: 828 | January 2, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

@828

My point was that regardless of who wins the game (CAR vs. ATL) if it goes to OT/SO then both teams benefit in the standings which affects the Caps more adversely.

Of course I totally jinxed it and the game went to OT.

My analytical side doesn't like the fact that some games are worth 2 points in the standings are some are worth 3. In my world the games would all be worth three points. 3 for a regulation win. 2 for an OT/SO win with 1 to the loser.

Posted by: Bubba | January 2, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

...or just don't give a point to the LOSER. Seems like the easiest way to handle it.

Posted by: keef | January 2, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Had a great time visiting with you before the morning practice. Enjoy sharing the stories.

Cheers!

Posted by: OleMiss | January 2, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Keef
As a traditionalist, I don't disagree with you. But the purpose was to give both teams incentive to play a more offencive style. To go ahead and go after that extra point.

I'm not sure how many new fans the NHL has won over with the new overtime & shootout rules. But I would think that it's probably not that many.

But I must confess that the 4 on 4 is fun to watch.

Posted by: pmoravek | January 2, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey Keef
Here's a question for you...
If you had to make a suggestion to Bettman to try and increase scoring, what would that suggestion be?

Obviously everyone else can (and should) chime in.

My idea would be to go back to full two minute penalties. The other team scores on the power play, tough cookies pal! You stay in the box for the full deuce and if they score three goals, so be it.
(Those were the original rules I think)

Posted by: pmoravek | January 2, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

4 on 4's definitely fun and our boys seem to do well with that many men on ice but I think that the OT has the opposite of the intended effect sometimes. It lessens the offense in the 3rd in a tied situation and turns into a defensive stand off with some teams.

I just miss the days at the old Cap Centre when the OTs would go on into the night as both teams slugged it out for the win.

Posted by: keef | January 2, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Like that huge 7-period war with the Pens.
I was at that game. That was the first date my wife & I ever went on.
She was screamin' and hollerin' for Keith Jones to beat the crap outta Mario, and I knew it was true love.
(sigh)

Posted by: pmoravek | January 2, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

@pmoravek

Yep, you're right, maintaining a full 2min PP was the old way and it definitely increased the scoring chances.

The rule changes obviously didn't have the intended effect (except when the Caps and Sens are on the ice together) and I don't believe that scoring is altogether what makes games exciting. It's the chances. The "Ohhh" that escapes from the crowd when the puck hits the crossbar or when a forward gets stuffed by a goalie on a breakaway. I'd vote to return to the old rules but maybe keep the icing change, smaller neutral zone (and keep the smaller crease size that was changed pre-lockout).

The near misses are what makes the games exciting to watch. So I don't feel that scoring's even the issue.

ps. GET RID OF THE SHOOT OUT! It's anticlimactic.

Posted by: keef | January 3, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Guys...

Boo!
828
Greg S.

What are you guys, asleep already?

Posted by: pmoravek | January 3, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Keef
I gotta say I'm with you on the shoot out.
You don't hear the crowd get really ramped up during the shoot out.
I think you make a fair point about the scoring chances during the run of play being the exciting bit. IMHO a great save is just as exciting as a great goal.
Not sure about the crease size though. Not that I disagree. I just don't see how it would make a difference. It just depends on whether or not the zebras are calling the Goalie interference this week or not.

Posted by: pmoravek | January 3, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Also...
You don't see anyone headed for the snack stand during a fight either, now do ya?

Fighting has a place in this sport. It is part of the tradition and this "instigator" crap needs to get dumped.
It is counterproductive to the game.
It does NOT help us win new fans.
It just pisses off the old ones. (Like us)

Posted by: pmoravek | January 3, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm on the fence about the instigator. Skilled guys are definitely more abundant and I do enjoy watching Ovie thread the puck through four defensemen and I honestly don't think such plays would be as easily achieved if the instigator went away (but then again, if you go back to a full 2min PP, this point is probably moot).

I remember that there typically was a fight every game I went to as a kid and while I believe the instigator helps the sport appear to be more 'civil' it also seems to have elevated the number of cheap shots which gives the sport a greater black eye.

Perhaps keep the fines for fights in the final minutes but ditch the instigator. There have been a few times recently I wished it was gone. "The Code" is obviously losing its weight these days.

Posted by: keef | January 3, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Also on fighting...those that complain about it are seemingly the ones shouting and watching more intently when one happens. :)

Posted by: keef | January 3, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

...I mistyped above. The tighter penalty calling has helped players show off their skills a little bit more which in turn staves off any counter-penalties.

It's late. I'm sick. It's time to sleep. :)

Posted by: keef | January 3, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Tarik--

Thanks for the update and continued excellent coverage.

It's especially welcome coming from a newspaper that once again demonstrated its utter contempt for hockey by devoting all of a photo caption to the outdoor game in Buffalo on January 1st. Much as I would have preferred it if both teams had lost, the event deserved at least a wire service story! Pathetic!

Posted by: Jim H | January 3, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

@828

Getting tickets to an event is not the problem. Getting 25-50 seats all together in the lower bowl, that is the problem. Suites are occasionally available but the cost is very prohibitive then. That is what we had to do in Philly as they've only been able to offer a few dozen scattered singles in past years.

Posted by: zuco | January 3, 2008 3:28 AM | Report abuse

If I knew about it well in advance, I'd love to go to a road game. I don't have tons of money, but Carolina would not be too far from me.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | January 3, 2008 3:46 AM | Report abuse

Wow, if Brashear had retaliated for Semin getting cross checked, everyone here would be applauding him and saying that we need more players like that. But, because Semin sticks up for himself, people criticize him and speculate that he was benched for it...go figure.

Posted by: aybee | January 3, 2008 5:54 AM | Report abuse

Anybody get a chance to watch Alzner and Godfrey play against Finland? Alzner's looks like a pretty responsible player. Not real physical-although it's difficult to tell on the Olympic size ice. He reminds me a lot of Chris Chelios. Not as aggressive but has similar instincts. Godfrey is a pretty slick d-man. He looks well coached as he understands the small nuances of playing d: boxing out, moving the puck, good corner work- sort of like Slick Nick's sensibilities. He reminds me of someone we are well accustomed to: Greener. The future is bright for d-men. However I'm not so sure about our future goalie prospects. Neuvirth looked small and slow against Russia. I wouldn't count on him being any type of savior in the coming years as he looks like he needs plenty of seasoning. And Varlamov (sp?) is not even on the Russian roster...Ughh!

Posted by: Just make a save | January 3, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

pmoravek :
Sorry - didn't mean to let you down! :-) I actually went to bed at a decent time ... go figure.

RE: OT/SO, I have mixed feelings. It is nice to leave games with a clear winner, and for the losing team to get a point for their efforts, but the SO can be very anticlimatic (unless it is one of the few that goes on and on ... those are kinda fun!). I like the 4 on 4 play ... if they did that for an extra 15 minutes, I think someone would score and the SO would not be necessary.

My beef is with the points system. Why not have 3 points per game - 3 if you win, 2 if you win in OT and 1 if you lose in OT? That way 3 points are always given out, but you may get some or all. It would reward teams that can win without going into OT - I think they deserve it. I bet it would make the points spread very interesting!

Tarik:
First, thanks (as usual) for the great coverage! RE: Semin, you wrote " ... a bruised tailbone suffered when [Semin] was cross-checked on the lower back by Ottawa defenseman Chris Phillips in the first period." I was at the game - I thought that check was high and he fell forward - how did he hurt his tailbone on that?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 3, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

keef 11:55 pm-
How about that (playoff?) game against the Isles back in the day? I forget how many periods I just remember Pat Lafontaine just inside the blue line beating Bob Mason. What a heartbreaker.

Posted by: kevbpgc | January 3, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

kevbpgc/keef:
I remember one back in like 86/87 that went on FOREVER. We were there until the wee hours of the morning ... I didn't think it would ever end! What a blast ...

Posted by: Boo! | January 3, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

@make a save,

With Finley, Alzner and Godfrey coming up in the next couple of years, you're right, Caps future looks good at D.

Why not go after Bryzgalov or Huet for a couple year deal? Olie and Johnson aren't the answer until the youngsters (hopefully) develop in net.

Posted by: Steve R | January 3, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

'Mornin Boys!

Need a fresh cup o' coffee and some fresh blog...how 'bout you?

Posted by: pmoravek | January 3, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

@ Whiter Mage

Shoot me an email; we may be able to accommodate you in Carolina on 2/23. info@capsroadcrew.com

Posted by: zuco | January 3, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Kolzig is done please George ,wake up,Being loyal is good but this is a business and Kolzig is old and he just committs to soon etc,my sons and I just are in shock at watching him and casivvi is an old man .Give Calgary OVECHKIN FOR PHANEUF AND KIPRUSOFF,

Posted by: CAP FAN4LIF | January 3, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

@Steve R

You're right. If the Caps are serious about being perennial playoff contenders they will need a free agent goalie acquisition. Neuvirth looks to be several years away. Varlamov's stats in the Russian Super League are less than impressive:

Gms: 30; GA:76; GAA:2.58; SV%.903;SO:2;min:1770:27.

While the numbers alone aren't bad they are relative: his GAA is 27th in the league. He needs to get over here and get North American experience. Again probably 4 to 5 years away.

Don't know much about Daren Machesney. His numbers look o.k. but is he considered a top flight NHL goalie?

Without a solid FA signing, in a couple of years we are looking at a Tampa Bay-like situation with revolving goaltenders.

Posted by: Just make a save | January 3, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

@CAP FAN4LIF

you dumbass

Posted by: @CAP FAN4LIF | January 3, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@CAP FAN4LIF,

Put the bong down and slowly back away...

Posted by: Bobo | January 3, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse