Semin, Bradley Have the Flu

Alexander Semin and Matt Bradley missed this morning's practice with flu-like symptoms, according to Coach Bruce Boudreau. Both are "iffy" for tomorrow's game in Toronto, so the Caps will likely make at least one call-up from Hershey later (if not two).

There are a few other players are who also feeling the effects of the flu, Boudreau said. He wouldn't say which players were under the weather, but Tom Poti told me he was sick, too.

Mike Green, Sergei Fedorov and Jose Theodore have also missed time recently with the flu (or something like it).

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 23, 2009; 11:47 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bourque Stays; Brashear Out; Bradley and Semin Missing
Next: Blog Maintenance: Comment Outage

Comments

Running through the team....I'm guessing we've had some beatdown players in the last few weeks. Not an excuse, but not farfetched. When I have flu-like symptoms I'm laid up like a little baby.

Posted by: saintex | March 23, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

No more make-out parties!

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 23, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Get well soon, Alex and Matt!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 23, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

@ThisGuy: I can't touch that comment. It's a loaded comment but too funny to not say anything...

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 23, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Let it happen now instead of 2 weeks from now. I just hope it doesn't give them an excuse to lose to these lesser teams.

Posted by: visionof75 | March 23, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Well, it's better the flu runs through the team now, especially with so few games in the next stretch. They should be re-charged and ready to re-enter the line-up for the last 5 games or so and get ready for the playoffs. Still believe we will lock the division up by this weekend.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 23, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

don cherry was right, all this excessive hugging after goals is bad. too much risk of virus transfer. good canadian boys dont risk the health of their teammates.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 23, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I believe a regulation loss by Florida tonight against Carolina combined with a Caps victory over Toronto tomorrow will clinch a playoff spot for the Caps. Also, hoping Philly beats NJ tonight to keep NJ within striking distance for the Caps.

Posted by: gebster | March 23, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

@fan,

I agree. I think it could happen Saturday night since we're sitting on needing just 6 point away even if Carolina wins out. With the Canes going three this week (Florida, Ottawa, NJD) maybe we win two, they lose one of the Florida/Ottawa games, and we can celebrate Friday night at Verizon.

Posted by: saintex | March 23, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

The Flu is code for Healthy Scratch.

Rest your legs, cure the bumps and minor injuries and get ready for the playoffs.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 23, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

@geb,

Carolina can still tally 101 if they win out so the Caps will need 102 to close the door - or Carolina losses to cut that number back. Florida can only hang 100 so we'd rather see the Panthers win in regulation and kick Carolina's total possible to 99.

Posted by: saintex | March 23, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan

lol, good thing brads is canadian

I'm glad everyone gets a slow week, though, good chance for them to rest up.

Posted by: feelinhellagood | March 23, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

and a chill ran through the room...

Posted by: oo7 | March 23, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Yes, if we are gonna have the flu bug run thru the team, now is the time with only 2 games in the next 10 day.

Here is a link of every NHL Team's "magic number"

Posted by: rarcr | March 23, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I am also out with flu-like symptoms. It's not the flu apparently, just a viral infection of some sort. it sucks...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | March 23, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Yikes. But, if it's going to happen, now's as good a time as any. Two games in the next ten days? We can handle that with callups.

Come to think of it, callups for this stretch might not be such a bad thing anyway. They'll have more fire, focus, and they'll play like their @$$es are on fire up here, which is something this team sorely needs.

I don't think it's deliberate - otherwise why Bradley? I also think this has been wandering around the locker room for a while. But, since it's happening, it may not be all bad. Get well soon, Alex and Matt. Chris and the rest of Chocolatetown, time to show us what you've got.

Also, did you guys watch the BOS/NJD game? BOS is doing the same thing we are - coasting. They came out to kick @$$ and chew bubblegum and left their bubblegum in the locker room Sunday, because they tore NJD apart.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 23, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Section117:

"'do it for UKDave - his other team forgot how to rock the red and is imploding!!'
Why yes, yes they are."

I think I'm gonna like you ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | March 23, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

You forgot to mention Fleischmann's extended absence and loss of 20 lbs due to flu-like symptoms - can we get some f-ing vitamin C to these guys?

Posted by: heathj82 | March 23, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

The seeds are out of the frozen four, can not wait to see thhttp://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g1663OXTPtW_JCczA55dXN8jX_ZwD973D1LG1is..

Posted by: RichC3 | March 23, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

That why the Washington Capitals will always be the Washington NO Cup Capital as long as the have Alexander Sittingout and Alex (watch me watch me ) Ovechkin

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

The Flu!? OMG I didnt know it was the flu..Geez i feel so bad now OMG really guys i had no idea its the flu..Is he alright? Did they call in the family? will he ever play again ? I hope they dont try to rush him back! Has he tried chicken soup? I know he loves eggs because one game he went into a corner with eggs in his pockets and didnt break one!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Saintex,
Have you got man-flu? That is a potential killer.

Boo,
Please don't encourage 117. He's a Liverpool fan...... urgh, I was sick in my mouth a little bit typing that......

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 23, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

SC1907 - much better (and, not that it matters, the answer was 10 days)

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 23, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Don't these guys get flu shots?

Posted by: luvdcaps | March 23, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

UKDave:
I know ... that's why I wrote that!! ;-) Not that I am a Liverpool fan (I think my marriage would be outlawed in six states and countless countries if I was), but I always enjoy someone taking a run at my good friend UKDave. After all, I take enough abuse from you - I need a little help returning it (and Lee is sure not helping!).

luvdcaps:
Ironically, the Caps offered flu shots to STHs during a game last season. The locker room was hit by the flu bug then, too ... guess the guys should have run up between periods to get 'em!

Posted by: Boo- | March 23, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Flu strikes again! Started with Theodore, now Semin and Bradley. Maybe somebody is playing with flu symptoms and infects others? Jeff Schultz looks to be that guy (well its a joke, but this flu has to end come the PO)

Posted by: Hazz | March 23, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Must...destroy...SC1907...

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 23, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Testing comment preview and posting

Posted by: Bob Greiner | March 23, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Boo, the team goes through this every single effin season. They should make flu shots mandatory at the end of October to be done by the team doctor at Kettler. Only excuse those players with allergies to the vaccine, but everyone else should roll up their sleeve. I've been getting flu shots for almost 25 years and the only time I got the flu during that time was when I decided -not- to get a shot one year, big mistake.

Posted by: luvdcaps | March 23, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907 ---

Name one team, of the 30 NHL teams, who wouldn't take either Alexander Semin or Alexander Ovechkin? I don't think Semin is lazy, but one could argue he is injury prone. Ovechkin is a 'team first' player. If you would pay attention, you would already know this. Ovechkin has been quoted as saying his NHL goal is the Stanley Cup.

Just a bad post, my friend.

Posted by: Dougeb | March 23, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Are all of these call-ups considered emergency? I thought there was some kind of 4 call-up limit after the trade deadline?

Posted by: theshawn | March 23, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

ewww...flu XP
get well soon, guys!

Posted by: spinner-33 | March 23, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I have been told that the players actually do get flu shots, but it is possible to get the flu anyway albeit a milder case. Maybe it's a hygiene thing? Get well guys. We need you all healthy!

Posted by: luvdcaps | March 24, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse