Semin Doubtful For Tomorrow

Winger Alexander Semin (back/shoulder strain) came off the ice early again during today's practice and is considered doubtful for tomorrow's game in Anaheim, Coach Bruce Boudreau just told me by phone.

Sergei Fedorov (sprained ankle) practiced fully and is questionable for the Ducks game, while defenseman Shaone Morrisonn (strained groin muscle) will be a game-time decision.

Here were the lines:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov
Fleischmann-Laich-Fehr
Steckel-Gordon-Bradley
Brashear-Nylander-Clark

That lineup will change if Fedorov is able to go. The 'D' pairings, meantime, will change if Morrisonn is able to play. Boudreau said he'll announce the starting goaltender at the morning skate.

My flight tomorrow, barring a delay, should get me to L.A. in time for the a.m. skate. I hope to have a better sense of the lineup then.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 18, 2008; 5:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Who Should Start in Anaheim?
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

first.

poor semin, hope he gets better, we need him. with ovie and backie finally catching up and scoring, when we get feds and semin back we will be unstoppable. can;t wait for tomorrow'd game

Posted by: capsfan387 | November 18, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Crap! I was hoping Semin would be good to go for tomorrow night! Grr.

Thanks for the update, Tarik!

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | November 18, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

yikes look at Nyls, he's been way demoted. bet he's not happy with that, maybe he should start scoring. bradley and gordo have been great, but i dont think it was wise to split up the enforcing line. brash gordo and bradley need to exert their dominance together. we shall see

Posted by: capsfan387 | November 18, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, please find out some details about the Rookie dinner (like where they went!). Its too bad that most likely Feds and Semin will be out tomorrow, but what really struck me was the Brash-Nylander-Clark line, that's gotta hurt to get demoted to the 4th (sorry, energy) line for Clark and Nylander. Not that they don't deserve it the way they've been playing...

Posted by: finnmeg | November 18, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Nylander on the 4th...with Brash and Clark?!

That's hilarious.

Really.

Posted by: jincargo | November 18, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

haha damn i overlooked clark as well. mayb that 4th line status will be good for nyls and clarkie...wow that is very interesting though

Posted by: capsfan387 | November 18, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I hope that this wakes up Clark and Nylander. Brashear has his work cut out for him. He looked very good against NJ

Posted by: Greg S. | November 18, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Don't look at it as Nyls and Clark being demoted but Brash being promoted and rewarded for his hard work this season - some games we see Brash out-playing Nyls and Clark.

Posted by: dfort2004 | November 18, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone received their Caps License plates yet?

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | November 18, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that's a changeup at forward. I take it D pairings don't change unless ShaMo is able to go.

I ... don't quite know what to think about that fourth line. Maybe it's intended to be a kick in the keister for those two.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 18, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Also, would Semin kindly quit pushing himself? If he came off the ice early again, he's pushing himself too hard, and I am not down with that. Go easy and he'll be back that much sooner.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 18, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

This sucks! :(

Posted by: rachel216 | November 18, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Nylander is only going to come alive if he plays with a sniper. He hasn't had a point since Semin got moved off his wing.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 18, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

wow. I will not question BB's reason for playing Nyls, one of the best playmakers in the nhl, on the fourth line, but I just hope personality issues are not getting in the way of what is best for the team.

Posted by: x1232 | November 18, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I prefer to see the last two lines as BB arranging them just based on expected minutes.

That bottom line sure does hold a lot of MIA on-ice intangibles though.

Posted by: austinsteve | November 18, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps the brain trust's thought process is to annoy and disrespect Nyls to the point that he'll long for and accept a trade. Kind of a "reverse-Manny" if you will. Although that might weigh heavily on the minds of some of the younger (#19)players.

Posted by: Dave_in_Alexandria | November 18, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe he's just pulling 4th line duty because he's sucked so far this year?

Posted by: _jordan | November 18, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

If Semin can't go tomorrow, hold him out of the Kings game too. Maybe he can go on Saturday. We would really need him for that game.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | November 18, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

The Nylander-Clark-Brash line, AKA the "healthy scratch" line, should receive minimal ice time, in my opinion.

I agree with capsfan387, with a Semin-Fedorov-Laich line, in addition to a hot Backstrom-Ovie-Kozzie line, we will be unstoppable.

Posted by: DrAdamson | November 18, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Rats, I was hoping to see Alex squared for both games. Maybe in L.A. on Thurs?

Posted by: veroairlines | November 18, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

get your arse out there TEB

Posted by: meagle | November 18, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the Flash/Nyls/Semin line was pretty good, IIRC. So, food for thought. If Feds is still out:

Ovi-Backstrom-Kozlov
Flash-Nylander-Semin
Laich-Steckel-Fehr
Brash-Gordon-Bradley

Or if Feds is in:

Ovi-Backstrom-Kozlov
Flash-Fedorov-Semin
Laich-Nylander-Fehr
Brash-Steckel/Gordon-Bradley

Looks kind of shiny to me.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 18, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Also, just a thought, but ... I'm watching Minnesota/Pittsburgh (Vs. is such a bunch of shills for Crosby). It occurs to be that the Minnesota/Washington game is going to be really confusing to follow via the radio, recommend watching it on TV. Why? Because our center shares a first and last name with their goalie....

Posted by: kittypawz | November 18, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

@washingtoncapitals:
I have not rcvd my license plates yet. May not be until next month. Did you get them through the auction?

Posted by: Erika29 | November 18, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

@ Erika29

I took the cheap way out unfortuantly. I already spend enough on my season tickets and my wife would kill me if I spent hundreds of dollars on tags. If I where single then I would have gotten the auction tags. Oh well Such is life.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | November 18, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I may be wrong, but think that the Wild also have a Jeff Schultz (or at least a player with the last name Schultz).

Watching that game too. Hey Sid, Did he shoot it in his own net? Annoying laughter...

Sorry, still bitter about that game.

Posted by: Kim-3 | November 18, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

the 4th line is amazing.we now have the most expensive over paid underachieving line in hockey. what a move
MAKE A TRADE. anybody on the 4th line for pucks.................

Posted by: wendel2 | November 18, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

we fly across the country without a healthy spare forward..........gmgm get some cap space so we can carry the limit like the rest of the nhl does

Posted by: wendel2 | November 18, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

The defenseman on the Wild is Nick Schultz. And he's pretty good.

Posted by: CindyJennings | November 18, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Minnesota has a Nick Schultz on defense.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 18, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

Backstrom shoots, save Backstrom, rebound Backstrom, save Backstrom (repeat)...

Anyone remember when there were two Greg Adams in the NHL? One was ours and the other was with Vancouver. I'm showing my age but Ron Weber's solution was to call them CapAdams and VanAdams - corny but it worked. I miss Ron Weber!

Posted by: CAP-lanta | November 18, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

i hope that if Semin isn't too banged up! we could definitely use his scoring touch on this important road trip.

www.feartheweagle.blogspot.com

be sure to vote in the poll as well.

check out part 1 of 3 regarding the state of Washington Capitals prospects

Posted by: TJCAPS8 | November 18, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, Minnesota/Washington is going to drive the announcers up the wall - a Schultz on the blueline for both teams and a Backstrom at center for the Caps and in goal for Minnesota.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 18, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

hey tjcaps u sure about feartheweagle blogspot?

Posted by: wendel2 | November 18, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Pierre-Marc Bouchard (#96) for Minnesota is the older brother of Hershey's Francois Bouchard.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 18, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Figures Matt Cooke scored for the Pens.Tell me again why we got ride of Cooke and kept Mayor Bradley?
Cooke has 2 goals and 6 helpers +1. The Mayor 1 goal -1.

Winners there Pens. Damn it I hate the Pens!!!

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | November 18, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

"Or maybe he's just pulling 4th line duty because he's sucked so far this year?"

Maybe... but doubtful, if you understand pure hockey play.

Posted by: opita | November 18, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Re: Confusing Names: It could be worse...

We could have McNeill, McNeill, Gordon and Gordon - ALL on our team! Sounds like a bloody law firm, LOL!

@Semin: For God's sake, STOP PLAYING AND HEAL! This started out as a shoulder injury, and is now shoulder/upper back. Take the sign, and get a massage and a good chiropractor and get fixed before you hurt yourself worse!

@Fedorov: Don't push it. I'd rather see you sit out one more and make sure your ankle's all better before you go out there.

@Morrisonn: Need I say it?

@Boudreau:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov
Fleischmann-Laich-Fehr
Steckel-Gordon-Bradley
Brashear-Nylander-Clark

INTERESTING. I'd like to know what your thoughts are in dropping both Nylander and Clark to that fourth line with Brash. It's possible it's to kick Brash into gear... or kick Clark into gear... or kick Nylander... or just put them all where they'll do the least amount of damage?

Posted by: irockthered | November 18, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Poor ref in Pitt! Did anyone see what happened? Did he take a puck to the knee? I hate to say it but I had to chuckle when the announcers said the "smattering" of applause that he received was like a standing ovation for an official ... ha! Talk about a thankless job - do you ever hear anyone praising the refs?!?

Posted by: Boo- | November 18, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

@Boo: Yeah, that looked painful. He took a puck to his upper leg, looked like, right above the knee in the thigh. Say ouch!

Posted by: irockthered | November 18, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I saw that as well; that poor ref. Wow. I hope he's okay.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 18, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha. Crosby choked on the shoot-out. Eat it Pitt!!

Posted by: cbs75 | November 18, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, still bitter about that game.

Posted by: Kim-3 | November 18, 2008 7:58 PM

Kim: You and me both!!! I used to defend sid until THAT game. I still think he is a good player, but i can't stand him after that.... Classless!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | November 18, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, "Crosby Cackle" *shudders* It haunts my dreams.

Gonna have to miss the game tomorrow. Maybe the guys will give me a 10-0 shellacking of the Ducks for my birthday. I guess 22-0 is asking for a bit much. XD

Let's go Caps!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 18, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I missed many games so I can't judge myself, but I'm surprised at Nylander punishment/lack of effort. Last year he was playing really well just before surgery, and he was hurting a lot... maybe something else is going on?

Posted by: mauree | November 19, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

BlondeCapsFan/JMU:
I was annoyed when Crosby said that, too, but I have to admit, I probably would have thought/said the same thing if I was in his 'skates'. As much as I don't like all of the attention that he gets (and that deserving others do not), I actually do think he is a class act. I can't imagine him saying something like that to the press. I think it would be REALLY hard to be mic'ed in a game - imagine what you would say in the heat of action?!? (I sure would not want to world to be able to hear that!!) He's very mature for a kid his age - surely he has handled the spotlight better than most; even those who are older and wiser. So while he gets more praise than he deserves, he also gets more criticism than he deserves.

mauree:
I think the Nyls hate has been overblown. In my opinion he has not had a great season, but he has not had a terrible one, either. In fact, he had had goals and assists (only Semin, Backs, Ovie and Green have had more assists!), made a penalty shot, etc.. So I am not sure why he is being singled out - there are certainly other players who are doing worse.

Gosh, I guess it is 'why is everyone picking on so and so?' day!! :-)

Posted by: Boo- | November 19, 2008 7:01 AM | Report abuse

"Save Backstrom! Rebound to the corner. Schultz clears. Blocked by Schultz! He shoots! Tipped by Backstrom! Save Backstrom! Rebound Backstrom, he shoots! Save Backstrom. And we have a fight! Schultz is pounding Schultz! What a left to the kisser! Schultz has an upper hand now!"

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Dave (et. al.):
Here's a little piece about your boy Osala:

Am I the only one who thinks he looks like Shaggy?

Posted by: Boo- | November 19, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

@Boo!

Nylander has not scored in 11 out 16 games. In the 11 games in which he hasnt scored he is a -8.

Clark certainly is the big disappointment, but Clark doesnt have the skill Nylander does, not even close. Worst of all Nylander make twice as much money as Clark, $5M to $2.5M.

I was in the close past a supporter of Nylander, but recently his play has been wretched and looking at our salary cap and his remaining contract, I think its time for him to leave. We will not miss him, we have plenty of centers on this team, plenty.

Posted by: JSchon | November 19, 2008 7:26 AM | Report abuse

JSchon:
I hear ya, but when you look at how he stacks up against the rest of the boys, he is really not 'that' bad. It's funny how we are willing to be patient with some of the guys and not others ... anyway, if he really does go then you are right - we will not miss him; we are just too deep at center to miss him. But that does not mean that he cannot still be a huge assest to this team.

Posted by: Boo- | November 19, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

What boys are you comparing him too? Given what was expected out of him? Who has he outperformed?

Who?
Ovechkin? Nope. He's back on track.
Backstrom? Nope. He's back on a point per game average.
Semin? Please.
Fedorov? Nope.
Laich? Nope.
Flash? No.
Kozlov? Maybe.
Steckel? Maybe.
Fehr? No.
Brashear? No.
Gordon? Nope.
Clark? Yes.
Bradley? No.

My point here, is that for $5M a year you arent suppose to be one of the boys, you're suppose to be one the men.

We didnt expect all the boys to have the same amount of points did we? No. Some guys are expected to carry a bigger load given their skill, salary and experience. Nylander isn't playing up to experience, paycheck and past skill level.

Posted by: JSchon | November 19, 2008 7:42 AM | Report abuse

I actually do believe Sid is a good kid. I just still hate any time that we lose to the Pens. The overpromotion of the kid is just annoying (probably as much for him as it is for all non-Penguin fans).

During the 2nd intermission last night they had to include highlights of him scoring against the Flyers. I guess because he had not scored in the Wild game? It was just weird.

My daughter also corrected me that the Wild player's name is Nick Schultz. However, he wears number 55. After watching that game, I am not looking forward to facing the Wild's Backstrom. Wow.

Posted by: Kim-3 | November 19, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

JSchon:
As I said I see your point (although I don't agree with everything you've said), but clearly you don't see mine. So rather than beat this to death (which never happens here), we will have to agree to disagree. I should have known better than to argue with you ... is there a fine for that?!?

Kim:
I agree - Wild Backs scares me a bit ...

Posted by: Boo- | November 19, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Boo!

To be honest, I have explained my point in detail, I guess I'm trying to figure out yours... I'm filling in the blanks here.

No fine for being vague.

Posted by: JSchon | November 19, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

JSchon,
Frommers tried to warn you about Nylander, but you just wouldn't listen. I like the guy, but I don't think he is performing - I don't think he did last year. We have enough young guys that can make an impact in other ways. If Nylander was on the PK and doing well, that is one thing... but, he barely gets on the PP anymore and doesn't do much 5-on-5, so, how is he 'worth' the money?
Caps win tonight by 3 and if you want to look ahead. The Caps will be the first team to beat San Jose in regulation being the only team without a regulation loss at home. Consider it done!

Posted by: _828 | November 19, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

@828

Thats the great thing about opinions, they can change. But the facts are the facts. I have always been a Nylander fan, but it aint working it out now.

Posted by: JSchon | November 19, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

What are you doing for these up coming games?

Posted by: _828 | November 19, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

On Nylander - Nylander is good when paired with the right people, but I'm not sure how well he fits within Boudreau's style. he seems too chill and laid-back for this team, if that makes any sense?

On Minnesota - yeah, Wild's Backstrom is a scary, scary good goalie. He was Sweden's goalie in the Worlds, if you recall. Just remember, though ... our boys in red have done horrible, horrible things to some of the best goalies in the business (see: Vancouver, NYR). Backstrom is undeniably amazing, but so are we. Don't give up the ship.

Minnesota's play reminded me a lot of New Jersey with a vengeance. I think that, like New Jersey, we're going to have to be crisp, accurate, and fast, but if we are, we can outwheel a team that seemed to be very patient, very methodical, and very set.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 19, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

828: No plans yet for any game but tonight. I'm a tad far out to do stuff during the week, but I wouldn't be averse to descending on a Greene Turtle for the San Jose game or something.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 19, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking about that... I'm in town for the rest of November... Trying to catch as many games as I can.

What are you doing?

I wouldnt mind catching a game at bar with beers and ladies (two thumbs up and cheesy grin).

Posted by: JSchon | November 19, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Well, during the week, I will be lucky if I can get to work on time after staying up for these games. But Saturday night, we should def do something. Any other place besides Greene Turtle? They most likely will have college football and college basketball on tv and look at us in aww that we want the Caps game on not knowing that they are connected to the Verizon Center. Bet they would play the Wiz before the Caps...

Posted by: _828 | November 19, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

On paper Nyls, as Kozlov, should help this team a lot with their puck-possession skills... from many comments here it doesn't look like that's happening...

Anyway I'm back in US finally, and tonight, jet-lag allowing, I'll finally be able to watch the game and judge for myself :D

I always liked the Ducks... don't underestimate them for one second - it's going to be tough to beat them. They are similar to the Caps in one aspect: if they are all "on", they can be almost unbeatable. Their O is not as skilled as ours, but they compensate it with their D and discipline and organization. They are very good at shooting instantly from the blue line. Boo, I know you don't like Pronger... but I wish he was playing for the Caps :D

Posted by: mauree | November 19, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Talking about Shanahan signing with Philly? http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/hockey/fhl/story?page=openice081117

Posted by: _828 | November 19, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Work on time? That actually matters to you? Dude, telecommute.

Saturdays are tough for me. Too many other social events going on. Just sayin.

Posted by: JSchon | November 19, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

New post - JSchon, that is a social event! Not everyone goes to Camelot every Saturday like some people and their 'social events'.

Posted by: _828 | November 19, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I think moving Nyls to the 4th line is a HUGE mistake. As someone else noted earlier, the guy is a quality playmaker when he has a quality winger to work with. Nothing against Brashie or Clarkie, but I don't put them in the same category as OV, Semin or Flash. Come on BB, get your head in the game and put line Nyls up with someone that can be there for his niffty passes.

Posted by: doughless | November 19, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Greene Turtle put the Caps game on for us without question last time we went to one. All we had to do was ask, and nobody looked at us funny. They even put it up on a different screen when the beer pong tournament started up and we decided to move to avoid being... well... beer ponged on. ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | November 19, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone heard that Semin is maybe more injured than reports indicate? At the beginning it was "he should be fine to play tomorrow" and same statements for a few days, yet his minimal practice time seems to indicate otherwise. I recall when Federov was first hurt it seemed like it was not a big thing and that was many games ago and now we know what it is...hope his sprain heals faster than Semin's last season.

Posted by: valkova | November 19, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse