Semin Kicked Off Russian Team

Alexander Semin has been kicked off the Russian national team for failing to report to training camp on time, according to the Russian Hockey Federation's website. The Capitals winger was supposed to play with Alex Ovechkin in the world championships in Moscow later this month.

I've confirmed the report. Stay tuned because this could get interesting.

Here's the link.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 16, 2007; 3:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New Prices for Season Ticket Holders
Next: Nice Story About Duchesne

Comments

God forbid that kid ever shows up for something on time.
Thought he grew up a bit.. Maybe i was wrong.

Posted by: Comebackkono3 | April 16, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link Tarik. Give me a month or two to work on my Russian . . .

Posted by: FS | April 16, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand. I'm pretty sure he showed up to practices and games on time, I also know he was in Russia--so what's the deal? I feel like there has to be more to this than what the Russians are reporting.

Posted by: Shari | April 16, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I've confirmed this report. It's true.

Posted by: Tarik | April 16, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

practice, you talking about practice. i mean, its just practice...

good, less chance of him getting hurt...

Posted by: A.I. Here | April 16, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

You know , I remember his attitude from four years ago, the non report to the AHL three years ago and the non report last year. I love the way this kid plays, but I get some bad vibes here.

Posted by: bill d | April 16, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

We can't win with guys like this. Trade him, immediately.

Posted by: Olaf Kolzig | April 16, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Now's the time to trade him. His value will be high, and he hasn't done the Nikolai Zherdev bit and completely stopped playing. We could probably get something for him from a team desperate for scoring.

He's going to be a problem for as long as he's here, because he just doesn't give a damn.

Posted by: ChaosRogue | April 16, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Unless someone can translate the Russian and it says more than what Tarik has reported I think an awful lot of people are jumping to conclusions about what happened in Russia. I'll reserve judgment till more details come out.

I will take this moment to say my thoughts are with the family of former Cap Gatean Duchesne who passed away today.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | April 16, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Don't we want to take into consideration how Ovi would feel if the Caps traded Semin? First they trade Zubrus, one of his closest friends, now the fans want his only other close friend to go? I think Management would have to be very careful on how they handle this situation. I know Semin is young and shows signs of immaturity due to these occurences, but he has a certain talent that should not be overlooked so easily in addition to his close friendship with Ovi.

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | April 16, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Bykov (the Russian National Team coach) was asked to comfirm that Semin had a problem with his ticket from Krasnoyarsk to Moscow. Bykov replied: "I confirm. I cannot imagine something like this happening in the NHL. The National Team does not need a player who failed to report to camp." Bykov continued: "We got in touch with him. He is alive and well." He continued: "We have an excellent atmosphere within the team and a great bunch of players. But discipline is the same for all."

Posted by: SovSport | April 16, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Chaos Rogue:

There might be an opening for you in the Redskins Personnel department

Posted by: Joe | April 16, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh, lovely. Please don't let the kid be a malcontent already.

Posted by: EricS | April 16, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm having fun looking for hockey stuff all over that website now...it's almost fun! Google's Russian to English translator isn't half bad. http://translator.google.com/ (I think)

A radio guy says he doesn't know why Semin (song in Russian, apparently) was kicked off, but that the team was better for it (the most recent article about him).

Here's the clues:

СПОРТ : sport
Хоккей : hockey
Футбол : soccer (football)
Александра Сёмина : Alexander Semin/Syomin

Posted by: kate | April 16, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't the Russian Hockey Federation (?) mad at Semin for leaving for the NHL? Maybe this is payback, and a warning of sorts to other Russian who leave for the NHL?
But on the other hand, maybe if the Russians let Semin play, they could convince him to stay home in Russia.

Posted by: Dezlboy | April 16, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Poor Semin.
He could have had a really great time. The more he plays with Ovie, the better the Caps would be for it. And it would have been great for him. He apparently has enemies, because I doubt Ovie/Datsyuk/Kovulchuk would have been booted for being late.

Posted by: Kerplunk | April 16, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Meaningless tourney...

Sundin chose not to play for sweden, does Toronto have a menace on their hands?

As long as he shows up for Caps training camp, I don't give a crap what he does in his offseason.

Posted by: Graham | April 17, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

This kid really needs a handler. There's a difference between players like Sundin declining to play, and Semin saying that he'll be there and not show up.

It's still good for some of the players to get a handful of games in at a high level of play.

Posted by: Kim | April 17, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Have no idea what happened here, but hearing it from one side only should say something. As for Bill D's and other's panics that this is somehow related to his decision to play in Russia, rather than the AHL, my understanding was that he was an NHL player, locked out by management, and then asked to report to the AHL for less than what he'd be paid in Russia. Now Russia is mad because he went to the NHL. Seems to me we need to give the kid a break and perhaps be a little more critical of management's desire to strong arm, fail, and then use their much deeper pr budget to put the blame on him. Nice to see many folks falling for it. Did you also renew your season tickets immediately so you could be eligible for a $50 prize?

Posted by: 121k | April 17, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

here's a link from sport-express:

Posted by: sonia | April 17, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he was caugh dating the coaches daughter and wouldn't fight as to why he was kicked off the team. I had something of a similar case a few years back, but didn't get kicked off the team. Instead a bruiser was cut from tryouts and I wound up fighting him in the end.

Posted by: Dean Youngblood | April 17, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

We win because I make them crazy. Hmmm, this Semin kid seems crazy, let's make him fight.

Posted by: Reg Dunlop | April 17, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

He's going to play for me in Russia this year. The Mighty Borschts, coming out next summer at a local theater. I'm working on becoming the Moscow Miracle Man and Semin is the key charachter in this coming of age film.

Posted by: Gordon Bombay | April 17, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

The guy obviously doesn't really care about the game/his teamates. Trade him for a character player - hopefully a defenseman. The guy is a headcase.
Nice drafting Caps - what a diamond in the rough!

Posted by: Jaymagz | April 17, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

You're righjt Jaymagz, what a terrible drafting. I mean, you'd think a first rounder could get more than 38 goals in his first full season.

Posted by: boor4 | April 17, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Somebody wake me up when this directly affects what he does for the Caps. This tournament is meaningless. I'm concerned about a cup, not yet another international hockey event.

Posted by: Graham | April 17, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ivan M. | April 18, 2007 7:12 AM | Report abuse

"Sources tell me that Semin is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder after the altercation at practice with Bryan Muir a while back.

Semin scrubs and scrubs, but the shame of getting hammered by Muir just won't wash off."

Um, didn't Muir end up w/a bloody nose? Didn't hear anything about Semin getting hurt.

Posted by: cbstoner | April 18, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

boor4 - yes - the Caps have such a rich history of drafting and keeping talented players... my bad.

The fact it's Semins first year - after being drafted in 2002 is a joke. Let's make him rookie of the year - Sergei Makarov anyone?

I'll bet you there is more trouble w/ Semin next season.

Posted by: Jaymagz | April 18, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

exactly, he is a diamond in the rough, idiot

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse