Semin missing from practice

I just caught up with the Caps in Syosset, N.Y., where they had an (extremely) optional practice ahead of tomorrow's game against the Islanders. Although most of the players opted not to skate at the Islanders' suburban practice facility, there was one glaring absence: Alexander Semin, who missed last night's game in Atlanta because of illness and injury, does not appear to have rejoined the team.

I'm told he skated this morning along with Tomas Fleischmann in Arlington and that he's unlikely to play tomorrow.

I'm a little behind because of a late practice, travel and a minor brush with a state trooper. I've got to hustle to write my story for tomorrow's Post -- it's on the Caps' inconsistency on the power play -- but I will update the blog if any news breaks.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 23, 2009; 2:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: A sloppy win in Atlanta
Next: Ovechkin fined $2,500 for slew foot (updated)

Comments

What happened with the trooper!?

Posted by: oriolesfan23 | October 23, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

OMG Poor Semin!!! So worried about him, hope he get well very very soon!! Caps need him sooooo much!!!

Thanks for the news, Tarik!

Caps28

Posted by: caps28 | October 23, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Semin is beginning to rest up for playoffs. He saw that Pittsburgh took the whole first 6 months of the season off last year, and he wants to go that route.

Posted by: SA-Town | October 23, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

ROFL SA-Town...

Posted by: hbcapsfan | October 23, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Did you tell the trooper that you were going no faster than Schultz's 160 foot slap shot? That should have gotten you off with a warning.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 23, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

If Semin still has the flu, maybe Flash should've been on the other rink. If the trooper incident was around here, maybe he forced Tarik to accept Redskins tickets.

Posted by: koalatek | October 23, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Corey asked BB yesterday if leaving Semin at home was disciplinary. BB said no. The fact he's on the ice skating today and won't get up there for tomorrow's game makes me think otherwise. If he was so sick, why would he be skating? Secondly why would he be skating with Flash who is trying to come back and risk him getting sick? Just my opinion.

Posted by: ThePat | October 23, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

@koalatek--LMAO! Thanks!

Get well soon, Sasha, and LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | October 23, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat | October 23, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Because of the impending trade of course. jk. Chicken little, where are you? (OH NO)

Posted by: Chad8 | October 23, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Semin for Kovalchuk!

Posted by: CapsandRavens | October 23, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they oughta just rest Semin up for the playoffs. That way at least he has a chance to start the playoffs without any boo-boos

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 23, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Semin for Kovalchuk!

Posted by: CapsandRavens | October 23, 2009 3:46 PM

Dream on. Dream on. Dream on. Dream until your dreams come true.

Posted by: Raber | October 23, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

BB said Semin was a combination of sick and sore. That means he is nursing some minor injury.

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 23, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

pinheads >:\

Posted by: spinner-33 | October 23, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Any conspiracy theories out their involving Semin. BB not happy with AS play recently and told to sit out the road trip? We need to create some turmoil here people, others how will the Caps ever become as good as the Skins!!

Posted by: NFeKPo | October 23, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"I never once felt comfortable in that entire game," Boudreau said. "I just saw pucks bouncing and things going energywise - for both teams it wasn't what it should be, but we'll take the win."

I'd rather he figure out how to coach a team WITHIN a game that he sees an uneven effort in, not just acknowledge it after the fact. I can't remember the last time this team went 5 straight games with a solid effort, win or lose. I don't see this this often from some of the other good teams in the league. There's an underachiever aspect to this team, some call it lack of killer instinct whatever. I'm kinda sick of HEARING it about it, i'd rather they just shut up and do it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 23, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Because sick or "the flu" means he has an injury that BB doesn't want to tell you about.

Posted by: Padow1 | October 23, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

that could true, Semin may have pulled his vag. Good smokescreen Bruce!

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 23, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Semin's a wimp.....gets a hangnail and he wants to stay home.....GMGM needs to either straighten his a** out or trade him for a quality guy!

Posted by: CB28031 | October 23, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

hopefully semin is back for the flyers game Tuesday. he is so soft its ridiculous.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | October 23, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

dude, the flu takes it out of you. I had it last week and am still feeling crappy. I don't have all of my strength back and my endurance is garbage. I play lacrosse regularly and just don't have the same energy.

Posted by: callingallcars | October 23, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

semin ain't no dougy jarvis

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 23, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

A bunch of tough guys on here, sitting in front of a computer and working their fingers...

Posted by: joek443 | October 23, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Semin is ill. The fact that you all want to read too much into it is silly. Quit getting your panties in a twist, people. You got only 4 days until the next game. Chill the eff out.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | October 23, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | October 23, 2009 4:53 PM

LOL. How true. Yell Booo and see them run with their tails between their legs.

Posted by: hock1 | October 23, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

"semin ain't no dougy jarvis"

Of course not. What the heck brought that up? The fact that he has the flu? He ain't man 'nough to wip that thang?

Posted by: hock1 | October 23, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse