Semin Named First Star In October

Alexander Semin, who scored 16 points to lead the NHL in October, was named first star of the month. He also had a plus/minus rating of plus-7 and matched Dale Hunter for the most points by a Capital in the first nine games of a season. (Hunter had a goal and 15 assists in 1991-92).

It's a well deserved honor for a player who seems to be coming into his own on and off the ice.

Read the league's release here.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 3, 2008; 4:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin: 'It helped me a lot'
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

Now if the Caps can get the other Alex "Star in November", they'll have something there.

Posted by: fauxrumors | November 3, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

YAY SEMIN!!! That is excellent news!!! :-)

Posted by: irockthered | November 3, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Excellent. Hopefully he'll keep on going.

Posted by: ratgurl46 | November 3, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

W00T! That is excellent news! Way to go, Alex!!! (And if this thing double-posts on me again....... grr!)

Posted by: irockthered | November 3, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

from the Caps press release:

"In addition, Washington prospect Keith Aucoin of the Hershey Bears was named the American Hockey League’s Player of the Month for October, giving the Capitals organization a sweep of those awards for North America’s top two professional hockey leagues."

Posted by: tess2201 | November 3, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

congrats to alex, now we have both alex's healthy and ready to roll. let's be the Caps team everyone knows we are.

Posted by: capsfan387 | November 3, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Woo! Alright, Alex! I can't wait til the next time we play the Pens so Semin can get in Crosby's face!

...

Posted by: _jordan | November 3, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Hunter...I surely miss that guy....

Posted by: smorourke | November 3, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Well earned! If we can get AO and Backstrom kickin' we'll be fine. Other teams wouldn't be able to cover 3 lines with Alex x 2, Backstrom, Nylander and Fedorov all scoring.

I hope the other Caps take notice of what it takes to perform at a high level. Some of these guys need to pick it up and earn their paychecks. Right Green?

Posted by: Greg S. | November 3, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Awesome! (Tarik, did you mean "first star" and not "first start"?)

Posted by: RITdude | November 3, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure there are more people reading this blog who want the Caps to lose than to win. We are currently on a massive 1 game losing streak and certain people are loving the fact they can come out and bash the team. So much negativity I feel like breaking out The Smiths CDs to cheer myself up.

The Semin quote. That was like, so October, but if we are going there again, so what that Semin voiced his opinion. Sport needs characters and although Semin usually has the off-ice personality of a chair, for once he said something us Caps fans have thought for a while. Good for him.

Oh and can something be done about the double, triple posting. I realise since registration there have been less comments but is it really necessary to double every third one to make it appear there are more comments than there actually are?

JSchon - good to have you and your humour (yes it is spelt correctly) back brother.

Boo - 4 weeks eh? Eekk!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | November 3, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

DaveUKCapsFan

Sometimes that double posting can't be helped. The joys of computer programs.

Generally, I agree with you on the losing streak of one game. But the team has not played well at all even in winning. Certainly not up to their abilities. Could you honestly say that the team that lost 5-0 to Buffalo was the same team that handed Vancouver's head to them on a plate?

This team can do significantly better than it has in the past few games. This goes from the top on down.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 3, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Good for Semin, he certainly derserves it, especially on the heels of his Crysby comments! Ha Ha!! Take that Crysby!

Oh I heard that JT got the 785th Star this month. Oh well JT, nowhere to go but up!

Posted by: majiksea | November 3, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dave...

I really have been running around and have neglected my addiction to this blog. I went through withdrawals about 5 days ago and needed to medicate myself with Jack Daniels.

About the Caps?

Well they obviously havent hit their stride yet. I really wish we didnt alter the lines as much as we have. I'd love to see the same lineup for 6 or 7 games stretch, especially with OV back.

I have a bromance, man crush or whatever you want to call it for Fehr. He needs to get more than 1 game out of 4 to prove himself.

Posted by: JSchon | November 3, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

@jschon I agree with u on Fehr.Play him and decide if he is good enough. Why not sit Clark or Backstrom or any one of the forwards who isnt putting out BOTH ways ...there are lots of candidates. BB needs to get all the forwards with the program to take heat off the dmen and goalies who are not getting much help from the forwards

Posted by: wendel2 | November 3, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Dave:
Your day off has agreed with you - The Smiths, a chair and so October?!? HA! You crack me up. Oh and, yes - tick, tock, tick, tock ... :-O

JSchon:
Still waiting to hear why that is your song ... if you are going to insist on implanting it in my brain, you could at least give me the courtesy of telling me why!! ;-)

Tomorrow is a big day - let's all start thinking happy thoughts now. Hopefully we've still got the Sens' number ... BRING IT ON!! LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Boo- | November 3, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

go caps

Posted by: michaelcoh | November 3, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh.. Boo!

The lyrics are my life in microcosm... Plus is such catchy little song... and the ending rocks...

It was an early morning yesterday
I was up before the dawn
And I really have enjoyed my stay
But I must be moving on

Like a king without a castle
Like a queen without a throne
I'm an early morning lover
And I must be moving on... yeah

Now I believe in what you say
Is the undisputed truth
But I have to have things my own way
To keep me in my youth

Like a ship without an anchor
Like a slave without a chain
Just the thought of those sweet ladies
Sends a shiver through my veins

{Bridge}
And I will go on shining
Shining like brand new
I'll never look behind me
My troubles will be few

{Refrain}
Goodbye stranger it's been nice
Hope you find your paradise
Tried to see your point of view
Hope your dreams will all come true
Goodbye Mary, goodbye Jane
Will we ever meet again
Feel no sorrow, feel no shame
Come tomorrow, feel no pain
Now sweet devotion is not for me
Goodbye Mary, Goodbye Jane
Just give me motion to set me free
Will we ever meet again
In the land and the ocean far away
Feel no sorrow, feel no shame
It's the life I've chosen, every day
Come tomorrow, feel no pain

So, goodbye Mary, goodbye Jane
Goodbye Mary, Goodbye Jane
Will we ever meet again
Will we ever meet again

Posted by: JSchon | November 3, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

JSchon:
Somehow I think some of that is directed to the blog ... hmm ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | November 3, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I love it ! Way to go Alex, well deserved. I also agrre with you 100% Kane is ALOT more interesting player than Crybaby is. Sometime the truth hurts!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 3, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, the double posting is mostly involuntary. I got an "error on page" message at the bottom of my browser this afternoon when I tried to post, and wasn't sure if it went through or not... :-p

Posted by: irockthered | November 3, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

You have a Pittsburgh writer quoting you about Semin's comments.

And it's worth noting that after Washington Post hockey writer Tarik El-Baashir brought up the interview in question to Semin, he described the scene this way: "For the record, I gave Semin a chance to talk about it. He said with (a) smirk, 'No' and walked off."

Posted by: _828 | November 3, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

That simply because Crosby is averaging 1.37 points per game in the NHL doesn't mean he's the same caliber as a guy like Semin, who's averaging .76, let alone Ovechkin (1.25).

Secondary assists are SO important... what a deuce.

Posted by: _828 | November 3, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

828:

From that article ...

"I'm sure you heard the comments by Alexander Semin, and I must say that I am totally at a loss for words. It was a great deal of disrespect and angers me to the highest degree."

Angers him to the highest degree?!? Give me a break.

Posted by: Boo- | November 3, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Boo,
Sometimes the truth hurts :)

Posted by: _828 | November 3, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

NHL Player of the month=Alex Semin

AHL Player of the month=Keith Aucoin

Yeah I guess October went alright

Posted by: dcfury | November 3, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

the dude from pitt took 2 questions...and quoted another newspaper's beat writer. this guy gets paid?? tarik is the best!

Posted by: formerlylove | November 4, 2008 2:44 AM | Report abuse

Greg,
Not for one minute am I saying that there isn't room of improvement and I can understand folks being frustrated by inconsistency.

However, if you believed some here you would think the world was coming to an end a week next Friday. To quote Morrissey "Heaven knows I'm miserable now".

We have only played 10 games, long way to go before we panic.

THAT said, I would like to see Clark benched and Fehr replace hin. It would make a few sit up and notice, moreso than just pushing them a bit harder in practice.

We'll still win the SE Div......easy.

Re double postings. I wasn't suggesting it was the fault of individual posters. Rather I was wondering if the Post culd tweak their software to do anything about it. Since registration its gotten much worst.

JSchon:
Never mind the Jack. Get on the Makers Mark. I have to push MM now as I'm an offical Makers Mark Amdassador.

Boo!:
I thank you!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | November 4, 2008 3:25 AM | Report abuse

It's nice to get a award, however it is pointless when we keep given up these soft goals because of our inability to clear the puck or play the body when needed. This team is in dire need of a quality defenseman. Mike Green's ice time needs to be cut. What is Jurcina doing on that lame dive at a poke check at the other teams blue line that directly to a goal. And what the heck is Green doing not riding the leading scorer off the play in the first minute? That was a weak play on his part, thinking Bobby Orr first and Scott Stevens second. It does not stop there either. Can we get a goalie who can stop the first shot? There will be no Stanley cup in Washington until we go out and get ourselves a quality veteran defenseman who thinks defense first. This team clearly has offense, its needs are defense. Trade Green now.

Posted by: ergoroc | November 4, 2008 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Trading Green is not the answer. He is a great offensive threat from the blueline. I'm not saying he's Paul Coffey, but there's a guy never known for his D who won a number of Stanley Cups. You need a Mike Green to win, but you also need a Langway or at least a Glen Wesley. I would imagine the Caps will swap an extra forward or a prospect at the deadline and try and get that player. That said, the goalie still needs to step up and play better. Also, am I the only one surprised Erskine got so much?

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 4, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

"Trade Green now."

Posted by: ergoroc | November 4, 2008 5:48 AM
-------------------------------------------
Lighten up Francis.

Posted by: Section117 | November 4, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey, why don't we trade Ovie and Semin while we are at it too.....that makes all the sense in the world.....come on ergoroc, TRADE GREEN???!!!! Please!!

Posted by: PhilR | November 4, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

828:
No doubt ... especially when you hear it from someone like Semin who never talks. It makes him a bit like EF Hutton.

Dave:
Thanks for what? And how does one become a Makers Mark Amdassador? Or is it better if I do not know? ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | November 4, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

"Trade Green now...."

Dude, please put down the ether and step back from the computer.

Dave,

Maker's Mark is good stuff. Have you had Booker's or Basil's?

Posted by: Steve_R | November 4, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Trade Green? GREAT IDEA! You know, we've got some other people with crazy contracts, and we need the cap room ... who's this Ovechkin guy, anyway? DUMP HIM!

There. I'm ready to vote now. XD

Posted by: kittypawz | November 4, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

If people expected Green to be a great defenseman for this club they've got it all wrong. Green got his contract because of his abilities on offense, not becuase he's regarded as the best defenseman we have. Nick Lidstrom he is not; who he shoudl try to mirror his game after is Sergei Gonchar, who as a Capital was an offensive force but not so great in his own end. As Gonchar matured he became a more reliable defenseman but could still produce the offensive numbers. That's what we need out of Green; decent defense and point production. The bottom line is the Caps are in dire need of a shut down defenseman, and people need to quit yammering about Green not being a good enough defenseman; that's not his role on this squad, but he does need to play better.

Posted by: reesem37 | November 4, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse