Semin Out Tonight

Alexander Semin will miss tonight's game at MSG, Coach Bruce Boudreau said moments ago. Semin, who is nursing an undisclosed minor injury, will be replaced in the lineup by Jay Beagle.

Beagle, 23, will become the seventh player to make his NHL debut for the Caps this season.

Boudreau wouldn't divulge Semin's injury, other than to say he came up "lame" at practice on Monday. The coach also said he expects his star winger to be back in the lineup on Saturday.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 11, 2009; 5:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Skate Update
Next: Tonight's Lineup

Comments

Oh well....I want him healthy so I don't mind his missing tonights game. Beagle baby!

Posted by: redskins2448 | February 11, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

first? cause I know you love it!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 11, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

What is with keeping all the injuries a secret? It makes me worry.

Posted by: Caps1Fan | February 11, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad I got in there before I could see someone write "first"..... You "first" people make me sick!

Posted by: redskins2448 | February 11, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

i can only assume groin or his back, tends to be a safe bet with injuries. sadly, that means we'll miss my second favorite Russian tonight. ::sigh::

Posted by: abuddy2004 | February 11, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

caps1fan,
dont worry, as a fan, you should want to have the injuries a secret...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | February 11, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh well, don't want Semin to play if he's not 100%. On another note, did anyone see NHL's current poll? Which Eastern Conference team boasts the greatest young talent? WSH with 44%! ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 11, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

"came up lame" lol. I know they're prime athletes, but that makes him sound like a thoroughbred race horse.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 11, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Yes, stop it with the "first!" thing, it is so stupid. Nobody cares if you are first!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 11, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Tenth

Posted by: tomdchancar | February 11, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

The new disclosure rules went into effect over the summer so they don't HAVE to disclose, so they're not going to disclose. I wouldn't worry about Semin too much.

I'm looking forward to tonight because I had to miss the last two games - even on TV.

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Posted by: armonroe | February 11, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Apparently some people do care if someone types "first". Otherwise you would just ignore it. Do you think saying "stop it" is really going to make anyone stop? This is an exercise in not sweating the small stuff, you will live longer.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 11, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

First?

Posted by: Section117 | February 11, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

FIRST!

Posted by: Leeguru | February 11, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

love it!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 11, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow! You guys woke Leeguru up! Well done! :-)

From the previous ...

superpaqman:

"This feels like the blog equivient of an awkward silence"
LOL!! :-)

"deep....and in space no one can hear you scream"
Also creepy ...

Posted by: Boo- | February 11, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Well I guess I'm on a roll, if it's funny-creepy. If its restraining order-creepy then I may have to tone it down

Posted by: superpaqman | February 11, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I am curious about this Beagle call up. I thought we brought up players from the minors that were similar in style to the injured Cap he is replacing. Why not Giroux or Bourque since they are scorers, and we have two scorers down in Koz and Semin. I hope someone asks BB/GMGM the question. Also who makes the call up decision? BB? GMGM? Both?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 11, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Beagle! Beagle! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFFFFFFFF!

My new cheer.

I'd like to see his first NHL start be successful. What a great name. I'm going to start calling him The Jay Beagle. Everyone loves The Jay Beagle.

Posted by: saintex | February 11, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

20th

Posted by: capsfan77 | February 11, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

@wtf_e_fehr:

I have the same question about who makes the call-up decisions, and why we brought up a grinder with two top six forwards out. Would've been a good chance to get Bourque some time playing with more skilled linemates instead of 4th line duty.

Posted by: chombie13 | February 11, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of SEMIN the guy is nothing but a walking {limping)injury.....ppl post here saying it better he sits until he is 100 %
Semin is never 100% so your not saving anything by resting him ...Get something now while you can....YOU HEARD IT HERE ***FIRST****

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 11, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Man, StanleyCup1907, I kinda' wish you hadn't said that. First off, I'm hoping you have some type of hockey background other than sitting on your couch, scratching yourself and drinking beer, and criticizing every mistake and error Semin makes. I'll leave it to the more seasoned posters to shoot down your comments. Sad, though, that you've made yourself the GM and Coach of the Caps in your sad, little world. Semin stays. 'nuff said.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 11, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Semin stays, StanleyCup1907. Last I checked, your name wasn't Bruce Boudreau. Thank gawd.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 11, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Lefty... How can you like any player like Semin who steals from his fans ..Yes that's Semin payed the big bucks to be a career injury stat.When Semin plays a full season I will apologize..And yes I do have a hockey background

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 12, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse