Semin, Poti return to practice

Alexander Semin, who has missed the past seven games with a wrist injury, has returned to practice and is skating on the Alex Ovechkin-less top line this morning. Semin is shooting and passing and appears to be participating fully.

Tom Poti, who has missed five games with a bruised chest, also has returned to practice.

The forward lines look like this:

Fleischmann-Backstrom-Semin
Laich-Morrison-Fehr
Giroux-Perreault-Clark
Steckel-Beagle-Bradley

Mike Knuble, who is due to return from a broken finger on Dec. 9, is also practicing. But he's wearing an orange jersey, which means no contact.

No sign of Shaone Morrisonn (concussion), Boyd Gordon (back) or Quintin Laing (broken jaw.)

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 1, 2009; 11:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin skates briefly
Next: Poll: Should Ovechkin tone it down?

Comments

Ooh, I like those lines!

Flash was scoring a lot on the top line with Backstrom and Semin.

Worried about ShaMo... :-( Hope he's getting better, and we don't have a repeat of Pothier's situation!!!

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@RedLitYogi From last thread - Ear laceration only. Vokoun got LUCKY!

Personally, I think breaking your stick on purpose in a temper tantrum should be an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, but it's not in the rulebook that way...

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I agree those lines sound decent...Semin will have to return because Colin Campbell will come down w/ a 2-3 game suspension for Ovie.

I love Ovie. I love the Caps more...and someday he has to start thinking a bit before throwing himself around. 12 more years under contract and I want to see him play that deal out completely.

He is so talented and is the catalyst for the team, but he does no good lying on the ice hurt, or suspended...

just saying...

Posted by: netminder71 | December 1, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I am surprised to see Giroux still in the lineup, he hasn't really impressed me at all. Is Sloan back on D? I think he looks better than Giroux up front.... just my humble opinion. How sad is that?

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Not liking this trend Semin hurt Ovechkin hurt, Semin hurt, Oveckhkin hurt...Oh my stomach hurts. Hope this all ends

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | December 1, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Ooh, I like those lines!

Flash was scoring a lot on the top line with Backstrom and Semin.

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2009 11:29 AM |

me too

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 1, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

just saying...

Posted by: netminder71 | December 1, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------

Or on the side of the highway in AMG wreckage.... or pinned under a rolling door in a golf cart in the arena... or... well you catch my drift I'm sure. He's young and reckless in a lot more than just the hockey game. Just immaturity I guess.

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

The Carolina Hurricanes have placed defenseman Joe Corvo on the injured reserve list with a leg injury suffered Monday night against the Washington Capitals. He will miss 8-12 weeks.

That is 2-3 months. Must have been a real deep cut that probably got some muscle or something. Let's hope Ovechkin isn't out that long.

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 1, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

At least Giroux is off the top line in practice - he hasn't looked very good to me

Posted by: mikebrady1 | December 1, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

GREAT NEWS Alex Ovechkin is day-to-day with a sore knee.
2 minutes ago from UberTwitter

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 1, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

@Chad8 - I like Sloan as swing man. He plays D and F equally well, IMO. He prefers playing defense, though... and as we all know, Boudreau changes lines up as fast as most guys ... nevermind. ;-)
He has until 7:00 PM on Thursday to decide what he's doing... and knowing Bou, he's gonna take that long, too!

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@icehammer97 - OUCH!!! Man. Poor Alzner! I know he'd never hurt a flea... I'm sure he feels awful about this. :-( 8-12 weeks had to be a significant injury... Poor Corvo!!!

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Ovi's hit was reckless- there is a good freeze frame on Puck Daddy today- it is clear he leads with his knee. I understand- Ovi gets annoyed-mad and wants to exact revenge right away, but he needs to be under better control and choose his spots better...but that's like telling a bull not to see red. That being said- Carolina was absolutely dirty last night...probably the dirtiest team we have played all year.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 1, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Flash was ROBBED a couple of times last night.

Re: Ovi - given the time he was laid out on the ice, and the help he needed to get to the locker room, it seemed that Ovi thought he had a serious knee injury. I don't know if injuries to others will slow Ovi down from a hitting standpoint, but maybe the realization that he could have suffered a career altering injury may make him tone it down a bit. I love the way he plays, but it's more important to me that he be around (at full speed) for a long, long time.

Posted by: hook99 | December 1, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Joe Corvo to be Placed on Injured Reserve
By Terrell Williams

RALEIGH, NC—

Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team will place defenseman Joe Corvo on injured reserve with a leg injury suffered Monday night in Raleigh against the Washington Capitals. In addition, the team has reassigned forward Patrick Dwyer to Albany of the American Hockey League (AHL).

Corvo suffered a laceration of his lower right leg from the skate of Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner during a collision in the first period of the game, and was transported to Rex Hospital. There, Dr. Marty Isbell of Raleigh Orthopaedic Clinic performed surgery to repair the injuries suffered. Corvo is expected to miss 8-12 weeks of action.

Dwyer, 26, has averaged 10:53 of ice time per game in six games with the Hurricanes this season, and has one goal in 19 career NHL games with Carolina. Prior to his recall, the Spokane, WA, native led Albany in goals (9) and was second among River Rats skaters in scoring (15 points).

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

GREAT NEWS Alex Ovechkin is day-to-day with a sore knee.
2 minutes ago from UberTwitter

Posted by: icehammer97

i'm not sure that comes from the caps as an official statement - as it does not contain the phrase "lower body injury" :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 1, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

From the last post, re saintex:

Agreed, saintex. Ovie is irresponsible and reckless, and certainly deserves a message to weed these potentially dangerous attributes of his game out. He can certainly skate with the same energy while being a bit more wary of the positions he's putting himself into. I also understand the viewpoint of some of the persona non grata that have been hanging around CI in that the league should not differentiate much between reckless plays and intentionally dirty plays. They both injure people just the same.

As I mentioned on another post last night (or maybe really early this morning), Ovie needs this more than the league needs to "make an example of someone". If you're going to make an example of someone, do it with the headhunters. Ovie is the face of hockey right now; he needs to be smarter not just for the team and himself, but for the sport of hockey.

Posted by: snakegriffin | December 1, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I think watching it in slow motion or looking at freeze frames can be very deceptive. At the very least you miss the context of the speed at which everything happened.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | December 1, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

GREAT NEWS Alex Ovechkin is day-to-day with a sore knee.
2 minutes ago from UberTwitter

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 1, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Where did you hear that? If it is true, that is AWESOME!!!

Posted by: adamkatzen | December 1, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

If Semin is back, great. This team has unbelieveable depth.

Posted by: saintex | December 1, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Corvo has been skating near other people's skates for years now, he had this coming! I for one hope that they have to amputate! He's just getting what he deserved!

Signed,
Pensblog

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

@ adamkatzen The Caps twitter http://twitter.com/WashCaps I put it here for those at work who can't go on.

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 1, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 1, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the 2x post

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 1, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link Ice

Posted by: mikebrady1 | December 1, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Ovie is Ovie, no one can stop him from being how he is, and honestly I'm thankful for that! Yea he can be reckless sometimes but that's just how he is. I'll take occasionally reckless vs a dirty player or a gutless player any day of the week! You just can't stop the Russian machine, and honestly I wouldn't want us to anyway!

Glad semin is back, that top line looks good! Backs was great last night, glad that he was able to really get the spotlight, he is just ridiculously talented.

Get well soon Knubes, SMo and Laing!

Posted by: mrszilla | December 1, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Giroux looks out-muscled and slow in many situations. Welcome to the NHL, again.

Posted by: rh71 | December 1, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

is mrszilla the same as mrsknuble?? hmmm?

Posted by: netminder71 | December 1, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

tarik tweets that Semin doesn't expect to play Thursday??

how bad is the wrist? is PT not helping? will he end up needing surgery? so many questions, but the team can def. use the Sasha soon!! Get well #28.

I guess that's why Giroux is still around, though he doesn't impress...he's an AHL'er for sure.

Posted by: netminder71 | December 1, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse