Semin sent home to see doctor

The Caps have gained one Russian winger and lost another.

Alex Ovechkin will return against the Rangers tonight, but Alexander Semin was sent home to Arlington to see a doctor, Coach Bruce Boudreau said. Although the Caps are officially calling Semin day-to-day with an undisclosed injury, it's pretty obvious that he's got a bad right wrist.

He appeared to suffer the injury last week against Florida when he was hit by Keith Ballard as he unleashed a shot, and has been wearing a tight wrap around it ever since. Semin played through the wrist injury (and other bumps and bruises) while Ovechkin was out, but apparently the wrist was not improving.

It's unclear how much time he'll miss. The Caps don't play again until Friday.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 17, 2009; 5:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin ready for 'cool moment'
Next: Tonight's lineup: Caps at Rangers

Comments

Semin- you're absolutely killing me on my fantasy team. Just kidding, but seriously- I could use the points.

Posted by: Fro_ | November 17, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I dind't think a guy could hurt his wrist while hooking someone else, but there you go.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 17, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

They need to keep Semin out till he's completely healed.

Posted by: cbs75 | November 17, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

We're missing our top 2 RWs now. Oh well.

Were the latest Nylander rumors bogus once again? This is getting ridiculous. Reports were making it sound like a sure thing.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 17, 2009 5:17 PM

He scored two goals + a shootout goal with that injured wrist, not just hooking penalties. :-P

He's a streaky, and somewhat fragile, player - I hope he fully heals and comes back to draw 3 penalties and net 4 points.

Posted by: Raber | November 17, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Get well soon, Sasha....

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 17, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Almost forgot about Nylander. =/ Let's hurry this up so we can all get some closure.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 17, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, this doesn't sound good. But I was right, I knew there had to be something wrong with him. Him not playing well knowing he had the step it up while Ovi was out (and publically saying he was excited about the chance and wanted to produce) is just odd -- especially in a contract year. I couldn't picture him just lolly-gagging during games for no real reason.

I hope it's nothing serious, but I am afraid it might be.

Posted by: annalisk19 | November 17, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I am surprised that none of the local media would try to get an update on Nylander. why not ask the question or have the club do a press release around the topic. I guess it would be different if this was the skins

Posted by: samb99 | November 17, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh, NO! Semin is not playing tonight? WWTD? What would he watch tonight? Who would the scapegoat be tomorrow if the Caps don't have a good game? LOL. I know I will watch everything and enjoy the game, win or lose. The Caps have proved to be a formidable team with or without all of their star players, I am looking for a great game.

Posted by: hock1 | November 17, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

This might be my first time watching a game online. Ive seen people posting adthe dot net (did I spell that right?), but I am not sure how this is done. Can somebody coach me up?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 17, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: samb99 | November 17, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

the skins finally win one lousy game and some people were actually discussing a possible playoff scenario on the radio yesterday... LOL

they will always be number one in this town even if the Caps win the next 5 stanley cups... it is what it is

Posted by: joek443 | November 17, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Deep breath, Mr. Fehr, it ain't hard.

First, it's atdhe(dot)net

Scroll down the list until you find Washington Capitals vs New York Rangers. It's in yellow. There's a hockey puck icon next to it.

Click on it. Another window will pop up. Enjoy.

The internet, man. It's a scary place.

Posted by: ogdennash | November 17, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Semin is out with a limp wrist.

Posted by: ralph4100 | November 17, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Gee, ralph4100, that's not funny.

Hope you're better soon, Sasha!

Posted by: wocoliz | November 17, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, I had it all planned out, bought chicken for the wife to make so I could be sure and have white wine for tonight.

Only, she made mexican chicken. Pretty tasty, but filled with jalapenos. Not a match for white wine. So I made a pitcher of margaritas, which means I'm rocking the green at the moment. I can tell you that margaritas and mexican chicken is one of Mother Nature's finest creations.

I will switch to white wine for the game. But, if Mike GREEN dents the twine, you can thank yours truly.

The margaritas are so good though that I'll be imbibing up until 6:59.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 17, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443

I hear you. washington post live now starts with the skins. the new guy is horrible. he tries to hard and thinks he is cool. Wish they would bring back russ. He was much better and balanced with his sports

Posted by: samb99 | November 17, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Deep breath, Mr. Fehr, it ain't hard.

First, it's atdhe(dot)net

Click on it. Another window will pop up. Enjoy.

The internet, man. It's a scary place.

Posted by: ogdennash | November 17, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

**Exhale** Correct you are, not hard at all! Having the correct address was the key there, thanks.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 17, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

get well Sasha!

@tmac2yao:

This just in on Nylander (I have my sources, not as good as arbyatin (?)'s but, still): He's going to be hired not to play, but to skate out messages during intermissions, using dye packs. Sort of the hockey equivalent of skywriting. Stay tuned, and if you have a product to advertise, call his agent.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | November 17, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

hope sasha is better soon! why did they send him back to arlington instead of letting him see a doc in new york? odd? or was it just so he could see the team doc?

Posted by: spinner-33 | November 17, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

What! Still no info on the line-up and no news on Nylander? I keep checking back hoping there will be a breakthrough of some sort.

Posted by: caraveli | November 17, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Having Beagle play against the Rangers might not be so bad.

There's a red lining to every cloud.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 17, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

you need a lunchpail type effort v the Rangers anyway, they've been outworking a lot of teams this season. Semin can rest his vag for another day. So sayeth his obgyn

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 17, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Beagle vs. Brash. Hmmm.....

ROCK THE RED (while drinking the white)!

Posted by: wocoliz | November 17, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1, that's not funny either.

Posted by: wocoliz | November 17, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

How about a heart transplant?

Posted by: CapsChick | November 17, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

so take it steckel is playing?

Posted by: _stevo | November 17, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

The comments about the heart transplant and the obgyn are really stupid. I mean, we're talking Forest Gump kinda stupid.

"My mamma always said, 'Stupid is as stupid posts.'"

Just read above.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 17, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

does anyone have a link to the game?

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 17, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastCapsFan

Agree with you. Sasha needs to get well. Wonder if he went to the team doctor in Arlington.

He sounded like he was playing, not only with a bad wrist, but other ills.

People have complained of his inconsistency but if he's gone this long without scoring, there's something wrong, which has now been confirmed. (He usually did not go long last year without a goal or assist.) He was actually more consistent in production thatn Flash, Laich, Fehr, among others. (Yes, we have a streaky group of forwards. I have great affection for them.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 17, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Semin's just fragile and injury or sickness prone. On one hand at least he tries to play thru them. Otoh, he's never going to be at 100% because of his obviously inferior genetic makeup.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 17, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

78% on the PK, that's simply not gonna cut it... actually quite pathetic for an elite team

Posted by: joek443 | November 17, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

What is the best site to watch the game on the internet? Damn versus!

Posted by: hoyadoc91 | November 17, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse