Semin on injury recovery: 'So far, so good'

Here's an Alexander Semin injury update from Russian reporter Slava Malamud:

As one injured Alex has returned to the Caps lineup, albeit with mixed results, the other one is still out with a wrist injury and, unlike his teammate and compatriot, mostly remains mum on the subject. This is nothing unusual for Alexander Semin, who always prefers to keep his own counsel when it comes to the recovery time and the extent of injury and doesn't like to give any projections.

This weekend, however, Semin called me on the phone, just to give a little update on how things are progressing and to show that he is not really avoiding the media.

What can you say on the subject of your health?

So far, so good. I think that I may start playing soon.

Can you say what the nature of the injury was?

Now, do you think I will really tell all the world what exactly happened to my arm?

When are you planning to return to practice?

I am not practicing yet and it's difficult to guess. The sooner the better. I can't wait myself, I really want to return as soon as possible. But there is no sense in hurrying. The most important thing is not to make things worse. First, I have to make a full recovery.

You have had this attitude in the past as well. Coach Boudreau has said that Ovechkin may have returned too soon and this was the reason for his problems in the first two games. Do you agree?

I don't know how he feels. He is probably a better judge of that. To me, he had said that it felt okay. Maybe the reason is that two weeks without games is a pretty long time and it's very hard to get back into game form right away. It takes more than two games, in any case.

Are you saying that fans shouldn't expect you to be 100 percent your old self immediately after your return?

You always need time to fully get yourself back into the game. To gain full form right away -- this happens rarely. But who knows? Maybe I will get lucky and everything will go all right. You can't make predictions like this. Let's just hope for the best.

Have the doctors set any sort of a timetable for your return to the ice?

Right now I am doing all my training in the gym. The doctors have only diagnosed me; the time of my return completely depends on how I will feel. When I feel ready, I will be back. But I won't make any predictions.

By Slava Malamud  |  November 23, 2009; 11:33 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: Injuries taking a toll
Next: Varlamov likely to start in Ottawa

Comments

As Tarik mentioned in his article - now you really see the affect Nylander is having on the team and cap issues. Please just go away!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 23, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it great that 2 goals in 3 games is viewed with mixed results for Alex?

Now get 6 tonight.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 23, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Please just go away! - Posted by: lylewimbledon
LOL
Was that for Tarik? Nylander? the Cap issues? all of them?

Don't answer, I am being silly.

Posted by: hock1 | November 23, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Was there a translator on the line or has Sasha picked up functional English these days?

Posted by: EricS2 | November 23, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

ranndino (from other thread):

On Carlson, I agree, I don't think he looked that good. I especially noticed vs Habs he was skating out of position to make hits ala Kevin Hatcher, leaving his own zone defenseless. Didn't cost us though.

I also noticed he didn't get much ice time late in the game Saturday.

As a result, Mike Green, much maligned here, skated over 31 mins vs the Leafs.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 23, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, thought it was clear that Slava's posts are always translated from Russian.

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | November 23, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

It's been my habit of late to check the other team's blog the day of a game... the latest blog entry in the Senators' blog (the one Tarik links to) is an article about Carrie Underwood.

The country singer.

It refers to an article in OK! magazine inidcating she might be moving in with Mike Fisher.

It's from LAST MONDAY.

Lame hockey blogging from Canada's capital... very lame.

Posted by: irockthered | November 23, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Happy Thanksgiving to the CI posters and owners.

One tonight and one on Wednesday - that I'll be watching from Vermont - and then we feast.

Two games, four points.

Thanks, guys.

Posted by: saintex | November 23, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

hope you are feeling better soon, sasha!! :)

Posted by: spinner-33 | November 23, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

irock: I can give you an update.

First, Fisher's been scoring more lately (he, he).

Second, Underwood isn't moving in with him.

You can make up your own conclusion.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 23, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1 - Great update! Thanks!

</lame>

You'd think that in a big hockey town like Ottawa, there'd be SOMETHING hockey-related on the blog other than a forward's love life... :-p

Posted by: irockthered | November 23, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Why would they blog about hockey in Canada since everyone in the country is all seeing and all knowing on the subject. Just ask a Canadian, they will tell you.

Posted by: ds_kelly | November 23, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Well, the Seantors will be without RW Shean Donovan tonight (MCL sprain, possible ACL too). He's on IR, and out 4-8 weeks.

Also out for the Sens is defenseman Anton Volchenkov, due to an injury to his right elblow.

I haven't heard whether Alexei Kovalev is back from Russia (where he was over the weekend due to the death of his mother-in-law).

Posted by: irockthered | November 23, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree about the disappointing Ottawa blog site. I frequently check the sites from around the league and love the team links that Capital Insider provides. I'm amazed at how many of them just have 1-2 updates a week - makes me wonder if the updates are really that scarce, or if there are just better team links out there than the ones provided to us. Either way, thanks to Tarik and crew for giving me my semi-daily fix of the Caps.

Posted by: jay-17 | November 23, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Ottawa has better overall coverage through TSN.ca, Canoe.ca, CBC, as well as just about any other media outlet in Canada. It isn't like here where you can't even catch hockey talk on the radio and the papers that still exist cover it as an after thought (Wapo excepted as though they don't seem to ask the tough questions such as, What really happened with Nylander? Thay do cover the team fairly well.)

I can't believe I just defended the Canadian Press.

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 23, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung - I'm sure they do. But the blog posted here had only the story from a week ago about the Fisher-Underwood connection. :-p

Posted by: irockthered | November 23, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Bigger Senators news: no Pascal Leclaire. Lower body injury.

This means we'll probably see Brian Elliott. .903 SV%, 2.90 GAA, 3-1-2 record this season.

Posted by: irockthered | November 23, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

My bad, didn't notice it was one of Slava's posts.

Posted by: EricS2 | November 23, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

nyls was a great aquisition for us lol georgie needs to clean up his mess soon if we want the cup, if we dont resign semin AND backstrom i will cry

Posted by: theshah91 | November 23, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse