Semin's status for tonight's game is unclear

Alexander Semin did not skate this morning and his status for tonight's game is uncertain.

Semin finished Wednesday's 5-4 shootout victory in Sunrise, Fla., but he's apparently nursing an injury. He's been battling a sore right wrist all season.

Asked if Semin is injured, Coach Bruce Boudreau said: "Maybe. ...I don't know. I do know. I'm not telling you."

None of the forwards stayed on for extra work this morning, so that means the team is preparing as if Semin is not suiting up.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 15, 2010; 11:11 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: Goalies, Leafs and a Capstronaut
Next: Theodore to start, Semin might be sidelined

Comments

So whats that due for the line combos I wonder?

Posted by: Searchingforstanley | January 15, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Semin is tough as nails...he will play.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 15, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I would rather him sit tonight and play on Sunday, mostly because I will be at the game on Sunday.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 15, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Probably a hang nail again - rest him for 2 weeks.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 15, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

They're trading him to ATL for Kovalchuk..that's why he's not playing.

Posted by: ttn703 | January 15, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Translation: On a flight to Atlanta?

Not sure if I would like this.

Posted by: JD09 | January 15, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

A couple of entries on the previous post that caught my eye:

I'd trade Semin in a heartbeat for Kovy -- Semin stacks up goals against weak teams and disappears against defensively sound teams. Semin is uber tempermental, requires too much babying. …
Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | January 15, 2010 7:42 AM
-------
UBER? Tempermental? LOL. I know what you are trying to say, but would you care to explain how you come to such conclusion? Have you interacted with this guy?

++++++

Semin is too high maintenance. He's almost like a chick. He's uncoachable and is known to take STUPID penalties when he gets tired late in a game that we could easily win. What does he make 7 Mil? Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | January 15, 2010 9:16 AM |
-------
UnleashTheBrainCells … It is different world when they are active.

Posted by: hock1 | January 15, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I think Semin's been playing hurt most all the season. Notwithstanding those injuries, he plays impressively and effectively on both sides of the puck.

People can criticize Sasha for being undurable, but for the knuckleheads who bring the mindless name-calling and ridicule, you know not of what you speak.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 15, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

What is it with the Semin bashers??? I mean WTF...The dude takes a major beating every game..fierce slashes, high sticks, etc. Usually why he make take the lame penalty at the end of the game cause he's sooo tired of getting whacked, cracked and nailed without the calls going the other way. We're starting to see the same thing with Backs too by the way.
And how do people come up with "He's difficult"? As the PP said, what do you train, play and or coach him?

Posted by: Iceman10 | January 15, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah people need to lay off Semin. The guy is an amazing player. When he's on top of his game, he's one of the elite player's in the league and probably the most talented. Have you seen better hands? No. Plus, he's been on fire lately. His 40-50 goal season will come soon enough. He just needs an injury free season.

Posted by: JD09 | January 15, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JD09 | January 15, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Well, by my count he's 0 for his last 3 seasons (including this season) at being injury free. He managed 63 games two seasons ago, 62 last year, and so far this year is on pace for 65 games. I'm not advocating the Caps get rid of him at this point and I think he's a world-class talent, but it has to be problematic when one of your star players consistently misses a quarter of the season.

Posted by: cainoo7x | January 15, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

As I am one of the brainless Semin bashers and only partially quoted above, let me explain why I like this guy, but would be willing to trade for Kovy -- if the price was right (which it won't be). Semin brings his A game against weaker, defensively challenged teams, but shys from the puck against defense first teams, for the most part. He takes, more in the past than now, dumb late penalties and won't bother to learn the lingua franca of the NHL, English, so he can't communicate with teammates that well. Kovy will cost too much, so it won't happen, but I think he is a better team player and tries his butt off every night, even on one of the consistently mediocre teams in the NHL.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | January 15, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

cainoo7x:

One of the problems for GMGM in signing Semin long term is putting the injury factor in the equation.

He probably wants the same money as Backstrom. The talent's there but the numbers aren't quite due to lost time.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 15, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS1

Semin does speak English, he just does not speak to the media in English. He talks to his teammates in English, I have been told by someone who has witnessed it.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Posted by: Steakum | January 15, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

All those who bash Semin for his penalties need to get off that horse. By the same accord Brooks Laich, Alex Ovechkin, B-Mo and Sha-mo, Knuble and even Backstrom have taken more penalties than Semin this season. He is an absolute thief in forechecking and creates turnovers night in and night out. You're going to take a penalty every once in a while. He has for all intents and purposes cut out the costly infractions in the third period. He has been the best cap on the ice for the last two weeks.

Posted by: moltzjo | January 15, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

From what I hear, Kovy's physical fitness isn't the greatest, which could hurt us in a late season run.

Posted by: callingallcars | January 15, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

JIMALLCAPS1,

I partially quoted you above because I had no problem with the rest of your post - although I do not agree with you - regarding a Semin trade for Kovi. I only quoted that part that did not make any sense to me and asked you if you cared to explain. I did not ask to give an evaluation of the two players and why it would make sense, each one of us have our own opinion and I respect yours. I am only asking for an explanation regarding the absurdity of your charges about Semin:
1)Semin is uber tempermental, requires too much babying. …
2)... and won't bother to learn the lingua franca of the NHL, English, so he can't communicate with teammates that well.

All that from watching him on TV or from the stands? Have you ever tried to go live on a different country on your own and learn a new language? I have, I am a foreigner, and I can tell you it wasn't easy for me. Some learn quick some don't.

Unless you socialize with these guys, work with them or maybe even have some insider information, those are charges you can not substantiated and you are maligning a player just because you might not like him.

As far as his plays and dumb penalties, etc, etc,. well you and I have different views and understanding of the game but I respect your opinion, although, I fundamentally disagree with you regarding the play of Semin. I do agree that Kovi is a great player, but better than Semin? They are both on the same level and I prefer Semin so we will just have to disagree on that, no big deal. It would be nice to have them both here.

Posted by: hock1 | January 15, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I've thought for the past couple of years that Semin could be as good as Ovechkin if he could go injury free for a year? So I like him--BUT he is injury prone. He gets hurt every year--So whats to do? How old is Kovi? Semin is 25-26. Do we continue to wait on him? He's signed for next year. I say lets see what he does the rest of the year. And IF his health issues don't improve trade him.

Posted by: duckyjimpond | January 15, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

My buddy just called me NY, he is getting ready to board at Laguardia and Semin is on his flight back to DC, so i doubt he will be in action tonight....

Posted by: Seminspot | January 15, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse