Capitals assign Semyon Varlamov to Bears

By Lindsay Applebaum

The Capitals sent Semyon Varlamov down to the AHL's Hershey Bears this afternoon, a sign that the oft-injured goalie could be back between the pipes for Washington soon.

Varlamov has missed eight straight games because of the flareup of a groin injury that also kept him out in the preseason. But he told reporters Monday that he felt "great," while Coach Bruce Boudreau said he hoped the 22-year-old netminder would "get into a game this weekend somewhere."

The Capitals took the day off after a win last night in New York, but CSN's Corey Masisak reported that Varlamov was working out at Kettler Capitals Iceplex this morning.

Hershey plays at home on Friday and Sunday against the Toronto Marlies and Binghamton Senators, respectively.

By Lindsay Applebaum  | November 10, 2010; 2:16 PM ET
Categories:  Semyon Varlamov
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals recall Marcus Johansson
Next: All-Star Game gets a makeover

Comments

PRIMVS!

RE MaJo: Gee--I wish I could rack up similar stats (and make similar money) for "refusing to report" to work!

On another (Knuble-related) note: I guess its lucky for Vitya that he went over to the KHL. He probably would not feel safe in the Caps locker room these days, heh-heh-heh...

...

...

...

Tom, surely you
get it?

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 10, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The Pat is right it is the Caps option not MJOs. Here is the article with the GMGM quote. http://www.tbd.com/blogs/chamberlain/2010/10/capitals-notes-media-day-and-more-roster-moves-2692.html

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 10, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm outta here until Friday. Happy Veterans day to all the vets out there! Don't forget, if you are a vet, free food at Applebee's all day tomorow.....I know I will be there!

Posted by: PhilR | November 10, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Heh, I got it. Very funny about MaJo (or Mackan) racking up mystery points for our Bears. Glad that he's back.

There is confusion over whether Mackan had/has the right to return to the SEL. It was reported that there was such a clause in the contract presented to him last January and many often assumed that the clause was still there when he signed it in June. However, GMGM did say sometime around the time Mackan made the team this September that the decision to return or not return to the SEL was not Mackan's to make.

Who knows really. But I find it highly irrelevant at this point in the season. His SEL team has moved on. He is on the Caps roster. And I believe it highly unlikely that he or McPhee would choose Sweden at this stage, given how light the Caps are on valuable centers at this time.

As far as I'm concerned Mackan as well as our other rookies, Neuvy, Varly (sort of), Carlson, and Alzner, are on the Caps roster in order to gain valuable NHL experience. We'll see how much they develop.

Moreover, I am not too concerned with bad games. They are all going to make mistakes. It's part of the learning experience that rookies have to endure.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 10, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Im out too folks. See those tomorrow night for whoever is going (I'll be the slightly drunk guy in a Semin jersey...should narrow it down a bit lol). Lets take down those dirty Lightning and that nooblet Stamkos. ROCK THE RED!!!!

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 10, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@Phil and SAOTI,

"I think you're all ****ed in the head! We're 28 hrs from the most important and exciting early-season game/the fun park and you want to bail!"

Mmmm . . . Applebee's . . .

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 10, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Semin and Caps will talk contract extension come new years. Per Lebrun.

Posted by: jakopz | November 10, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

The assignment is good for Varly. He will start for Hershey and hopefully prove that he is healthy. Holtby will gain some good experience from facing NHL talent in practice. Varly will be back soon.
Alzner and Sloan pulled real boners last night, both leading to goals. We have to accept Alzner, Carlson, MaJo, Neuvirth making rookie mistakes. Sloan has only 77 NHL games (and isn't very good).
I want MaJo in the NHL (even if he isn't ready) so Backstrom can mentor him.

Posted by: chriscaps | November 10, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm more optimistic on MaJo (I'm biased because he's an acquaintance)but he kept getting better with each game and he was probably our best player the last game he played. He showed some really nice chemistry with Semin. He's a really smart guy, he'll continue to progress. Q

Posted by: jakopz | November 10, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

icehammer: Thanks for finding that article. I was the one who orginally told Hobbs he was wrong last thread but couldn't find anything in print. The only thing I found was the WaPo article so I retracted my statement. I like MaJo but I wonder who will sit to get him back in the line-up.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse