Capitals place Semyon Varlamov on injured reserve (updated)

UPDATE: The Capitals announced Varlamov has been placed on injured reserve retroactive to his last appearance of the preseason on Sept. 22 and is eligible to be activated at any time.

With the season opener two days away, the most pressing issue facing the Washington Capitals is the status of goalie Semyon Varlamov, who has been nursing an undisclosed injury during training camp.

If the medical staff clears Varlamov, the Capitals would have him available for Friday night in Atlanta but most likely would start Michal Neuvirth. As of early this afternoon, though, Coach Bruce Boudreau wasn't sure what the plan would be but did reveal Varlamov probably would not be ready this weekend.

What is certain is that Washington must decide by 3 p.m. today whether to place Varlamov on injured reserve, which means he wouldn't be available for at least the first several games, assuming the club makes that assignment retroactively. It would mean, however, that Washington could take three goalies to Atlanta because players on injured reserve are permitted to travel with the team.

"I don't know. I doubt it right now, but who can tell," Boudreau said when asked if Varlamov would be able to play on Saturday. "We'll see how tomorrow's practice goes, and then we'll take him to Atlanta and see how he goes in Atlanta, and then we'll make decisions."

If Varlamov is unable to play on Friday, Neuvirth would start, and Dany Sabourin would be the backup. Boudreau then would have another decision on Saturday regarding whether to start Neuvirth on consecutive nights or turn to Sabourin, who has played in 57 NHL games but spent last season in the AHL.

"We'll consider anything," Boudreau said about the possibility of playing Neuvirth on back-to-back nights. "A lot depends on how he plays Friday."

By Gene Wang  | October 6, 2010; 1:18 PM ET
Categories:  Michal Neuvirth, Semyon Varlamov
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Will Eric Fehr have another breakout season?
Next: A little birthday surprise for Marcus Johansson

Comments

ahhhh

a fresh unsoiled thread

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 6, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

sabourin should get as much playing time as clemmensen did behind broduer...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | October 6, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Ummmm, why Sabourin and not Holtby? Was not Sabourin brought in to be Holtby's back-up?

Posted by: PhilR | October 6, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

IF anything is going to be a detriment to our young goaltending tangent this year, it's their health. It's what really worried me last year, and sill makes me worry today.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 6, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

gmgm - trade flash and fire BB
ted - fire gmgm
soiled - your welcome
hahaha

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 6, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

gmgm - trade flash and fire BB
ted - fire gmgm
soiled - your welcome
hahaha

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 6, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

I don't think so, to me it seems like Dany was brought in for exactly these situations; to be a call-up for whoever. Holtby definitely isn't NHL-ready yet, he should only be called if 2 goalies go down honestly. Let him get a full year in Hershey at the helm.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 6, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Innocent question...but why is playing goalies on consecutive nights an issue, but playing a forward or D-man not a question? I've played hockey...it's tiring for everyone. But you would think the last guy on the ice who needs a break is the one standing in the net. Don't get me wrong...I know it's physically AND mentally demanding. But these guys are fit...and both Neuvy and Varly are young.

Posted by: Rainier1 | October 6, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

saw on the pennlive.com, Hershey newspaper site that Corey Masisak reported that Gordo cleared, so all is well for a 3 peat in chocolatetown and the run for CUP #1!!! here in DC

Posted by: BBDwrestling | October 6, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I DON"T care about a 3 peat in hershey...

I hope they go 0-80+...just as long as the Caps win the cup!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | October 6, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Neuvy will play both games, and then the Ottawa game is up for grabs.

Varly is a china doll.

Posted by: SA-Town | October 6, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey Capt.

...I hope Scotty never beams you up again!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 6, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

dude, seriously, wtf is up with varly.

it's getting quite concerning. given that he probably spent the offseason training harder to prevent injury, and that he's already nursing something...

Posted by: j762 | October 6, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

we should either let neuvy play 17 of the first 20 games and see where he is...

or try to sign a vet goalie.

Even if Varly does come back, he won't be back for long.

Hopefully this is the last year of his contract.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | October 6, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey Capt.

...I hope Scotty never beams you up again!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 6, 2010 1:50 PM

my wife confiscated my communicator, phaser and tricorder years ago – i’m not going anywhere anytime soon

(communicator, phaser and tricorder = identity, spirit and happiness - jk)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 6, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I said this a few years ago and I have been proven right: a 20 year old goalie with muscle injury issues is a red flag. He might have all the talent in the world, but if he's prone to injury we may need to move on.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 6, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey, hockey's rough, especially for goalies. I've been on skates since before I turned two, and I still need recovery days after a hard skate. I really don't know how those guys do it - it's like, if you lift and have a "max" where you're completely maxing out - if you try and do that same activity, at the same [if not greater] intensity, of course the human body will break down.

I actually wonder if some of these guys overdo it in the offseason, a lot of these injuries sound like overuse injuries.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 6, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Should be a very interesting year in Hershey. Lots of younger guys will have to step up. Last year was almost unfair, given the disparity in talent between the Bears and the rest of the AHL. I definitely hope to get up there this year - I have a long way to go to catch up to sgm's 73 games!

Posted by: zmega | October 6, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Varly officially on IR

Posted by: ButterSchultz | October 6, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

New thread

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 6, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@soaringcaps

I think I agree with you. Varly seems injured more often than not. This looks to be a chronic issue. Give Nuevy a shot and we can figure it out after the firs quarter of the season.

Posted by: capscoach | October 6, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

This is not good. I have a bad feeling about this season.

Don't blame me. I just think too much kool-aid has been shoveled down throats.

Not enough of a reality check. Boat it out.

Posted by: CF11555 | October 6, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

hate that I feel I'm gonna be right on this... but I'll stand by my prediction of:

...games played this year by our goalies:
Neuvirth: 55
Varlamov: 25
Other: 2

and
...that Neuvirth wins the #1 stop by the late season and starts and plays the whole playoffs!

just my opinion!

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 6, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Once Varly gets healthy he should be part of any trade package the Caps put together to fill holes... Guy has great talent but can't stay healthy...Its a shame that injuries will be what ends up killing his career.. I think its great the Caps are being very protective with his injury and not letting him to anything...

Posted by: CapsBaby | October 6, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow another Capitals season and another goalie conference...Feels like a long season unless Neuvirth proves he is a starter long term...Looking forward to a great season...

Posted by: fiskra | October 6, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Man, Varly trading value is getting close to a bag of pucks.

Posted by: guer_j | October 6, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

What's Varly's problem this time??!! Getting pissed off now, trade the walking glass jaw!

Posted by: jmontemayor32 | October 6, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Is Olie still in town?

Posted by: capsgary | October 6, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm.....strange things are afoot in Hershey:

OILERS SHIP DEFENCEMAN SOURAY OFF TO THE AHL

Posted by: YouAreABigWhiner | October 6, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Souray to the Bears?!?!? I really hope it's not to allow us to evaluate him for a potential waiver-wire pickup...

Posted by: sca187 | October 6, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

groin or knee? boat it out

Posted by: CF11555 | October 6, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

re: Varly

thank God (or the great spaghetti monster or whatever you do or don't worship) no one's overreacting.

He's young and for a position in any sport (look at pitchers in baseball) that stresses one part of the body it's not uncommon for there to be tweaks while they continue to develop strength. He'll be fine. Can't trade him, he'll have no value until he's durable. Maybe he's lifting too much??

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 6, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I'd like mass over-reactions for $1,000 Alex.

Posted by: ouvan59 | October 6, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Considering that Theo was 62-24 for the Caps over the past two years, GMGM appears to have gambled and lost in going with Varlamov (oft-injured and now on IR) and Neuvirth (inexperienced in the NHL).

He could have had Theo back at $1.1M. Varlamov and Neuvirth aren't much cheaper.

The Caps' season may depend on whether (and how quickly) Michael Neuvirth can make the transition from the AHL to the NHL.

I hope he can.