Semyon Varlamov eager to get back in the mix for Caps

By Katie Carrera

Semyon Varlamov, Washington CapitalsCapitals goalie Semyon Varlamov takes a break during a Sept. 9 practice. (Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post)

After spending more than hour on the ice at KCI, goatlender (thanks to our sharp commenters for the amusing typo catch) goaltender Semyon Varlamov said he "feels great" and that he's getting closer to coming back. Coach Bruce Boudreau has definitely noticed how eager Varlamov is to get back in the mix after missing the past seven games with the latest flareup of a groin injury, but wouldn't specify where the goaltender could see action this weekend.

"If I was Varly I'd be ready to go after seeing the other two goalies, too," Boudreau said. "He's working hard and hopefully he'll get into a game this weekend somewhere. He's eager to go, just the fact that he's taking shots and staying out long after practice means he's getting closer to a return I don't know if he's 100 percent healthy yet."

When asked if he meant Varlamov might play in Hershey, Boudreau said: "I don't know what I mean....Might be a scrimmage that we have, but he's going to be in game situations, at least."

For what its worth, Hershey plays at home on Friday and Sunday against the Toronto Marlies and Binghamton Senators respectively, and travels to Syracuse to face the Crunch on Saturday.

--Boudreau said Tom Poti (groin) and Brooks Laich (upper body) are expected to make the trip to New York. Poti took part in all of practice this morning while Laich did not, and holding the latter off the ice whether in games or practice is not an easy task for the Capitals.

"Believe me, it's something you don't want to do every day," Boudreau said of keeping Laich off the ice. "He wants to play, and give him credit; he'll play on broken bones, as he's done in the past. He's not an easy guy to sit out."

--Michal Neuvirth told CSN's Corey Masisak he's starting against the Rangers Tuesday.

--The Capitals have trended upward in close games this season. They're now 5-0 in overtime and 6-1 in one-goal games, and gaining experience that doesn't do much to lower stress levels but can help the team prepare playoff-style games, Boudreau said.

"We don't want to win every game by one goal, but it's great practice," Boudreau said. "If you're lucky enough to make the playoffs, one-goal games and how you play in them is a real important factor, because in the playoffs every game is so close. Believe me, as coaches you'd like to have a 4-0 win every now and again, but when you're playing these one-goal games and you're having success, it means the players are buying in to what you have to do all the time. Hopefully, it continues."

By Katie Carrera  | November 8, 2010; 12:47 PM ET
Categories:  Brooks Laich, Injuries, New York Rangers, Semyon Varlamov
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Semyon Varlamov taking shots in practice
Next: Live Caps Q&A: Tuesday, 12:30 p.m.

Comments

Sounds to me like Danny is headed back to Hershey Friday maybe even thrusday

Posted by: bqts | November 8, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

That should read Holtby, typed wrong name :)

Posted by: bqts | November 8, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

i didn't know semyon was a goatlender. maybe he could lend me a goat sometime!

Posted by: nwilson2 | November 8, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

nwilson2: Nice catch, it made me laugh. Honestly I missed that when I read it.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 8, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

i didn't know semyon was a goatlender. maybe he could lend me a goat sometime!

Posted by: nwilson2
----
man, dude, I don't know you but that just sends out all kinds of wrong signals... ROFLMAO! "lend me a goat"

just messing with ya!

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 8, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

A simple man, lending his goats out on the high steppes...

Posted by: dcunitedfan3 | November 8, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"goatlender"...very funny

Posted by: MReilly9 | November 8, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

This team does so much for the community! Now Varly lends out goats? When will the giving stop?

Posted by: Leeguru | November 8, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Who would've "thunk" it? Holtby plays in 2 games, suddenly Varly feeling a little bit better, almost ready to play... Human nature at work!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | November 8, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

haha that has to be one of the best typos I have ever read. Nice work on picking that one up nwilson2, I missed it on my first read.

Here's an idea. I know Varly "feels fine", but let's prolong his return a little while. He "felt fine" before his last return and that lasted almost two games before he got hurt again. Give the guy an extra week or so. Let him face shots in practice, have a couple scrimmages, whatever. But let's give this thing a bit of extra time to heal, just for the fun of it.

Posted by: Aldred15 | November 8, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I hope Joe B. sees "goatlender." He needs alternatives to "net minder." NOT a knock on Joe B - love the guy.

Saaaaay, what DOES "Varlamov" mean in Russian, anyway? After all, doesn't Ovechkin mean "little girl sheep?"

Posted by: pirate1 | November 8, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

First Laich is nominated Sportsman of the Year for changing a tire, and next year it will be Varly for his goat lending.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 8, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Ah, so he's a "goatlender." That explains his lengthy absence from the lineup as he lent his time and money to a certain Mr. Stillwell in Section 105 who got married this weekend.

Posted by: 1995hoo | November 8, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Those are best worked on in game situations."

sgm, and what would practice be for...?

Posted by: Steve_R

Yes, practice is definitely a place to work on those things.

See, I was just saying which mode of practice was BEST. I never said any other ways of working on a player's is not beneficial.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 8, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

So hockeybuzz is chasing a rumor (i know HB is less reliable than a politician) that the caps are interested in backup Cory Schneider...hope this isn't true.

Posted by: capscoach | November 8, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

The real question this leads one to ask is, does his goatlending directly relate to his groin issues. If yes, then I say (in my best Cleveland from Family Guy voice) "Oh that's nasty".

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 8, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Bye bye Varley...have fun in Hershey.

We should trade him right now. He won't stay healthy, so it would be a steal or us!

Who needs a goalie...?

By the way...Holtby will be the top guy by next season...

Minimize (not eliminate) the Euros and those from over the big pond!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | November 8, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

(RE-post) -Did any of you Hershey folks get a chance to see MJ play yesterday? How did he look? His stat line looked not terribly impressive, but that doesn't tell the whole story. It also seems like Sabourin is a total sieve. I'm sure everyone up there is anxious to have Holtby back. Is there anyone else in the Caps system who they could call up to Hershey?

Posted by: zmega | November 8, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else thinks OV has looked terrible this year? He has yet to be a factor.

Time to move a goal tender.

Posted by: underpants2 | November 8, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Send Varly to Hershey ASAP...do not hesitate...in other news, i am going to the hershey/charlotte checkers game tuesday night in charlotte....Rockin the RED!

Posted by: klangley69 | November 8, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"But working on positioning and rebound is BEST worked on in game situations, especially in the AHL, as that is the closest a goalie can get to a game situation in the NHL."

sgm, what's your source? Because if you're out of position during the game, how does the coach correct you? In practice the feedback is immediate.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 8, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Bye bye Varley...have fun in Hershey.

Who needs a goalie...?

By the way...Holtby will be the top guy by next season...

Minimize (not eliminate) the Euros and those from over the big pond!
Posted by: SoaringCaps | November 8, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Really? Keep the Canadian and don't worry about the Russian or the Czech? Why? Is Holtby even better because he's from the English-speaking part of the country?

Who the heck cares where their from as long as they can play goal? And, BTW, I'd say it';s just a tad early to crown Holtby our winning under 23 yr older. Or even to say goodbye to Varly.

Some people can't see past the last game.

Posted by: Justafan | November 8, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I thought practices were used to hit each other in the faces with pucks. Meh.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 8, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@_828
@capscoach

Players "sand bag" coaches all the time. Did you watch the effort Hanlon was getting the last couple of games he was coach? Or, you're probably just a "Rock the Red" fan and didn't go to those games against Phoenix, Vancover, etc when maybe 3,000 people were in the building.
(Yea, Ovi "sandbagged" Hanlon too.)

There are smart vets on this team that know BB's style will never win 16 in the spring. Backy is one of those guys (I believe). He watched BB get "outcoached" big time. Did you see any adjustments to the "slot clogging" penalty kill the Habs were running? Smart vets see what TYPE of teams get through all those 7 game slugfests. This coach's style will not even get us to the finals.

Lastly, Yea we like old time hockey. (Hawks played old time hockey.) We also hate "Abe" with a passion for jerking us around for all those years. We needed to BUY scoring.HE was cheap. TEAM DEFENSE, good goal tending, and balanced scoring wins cUps. Watching the Pens put togeather a group that can mix all 3 of the above over the off season has been horrific. (I don't care what their record is now. We'll lose to them in the playoffs AGAIN.)

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 8, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Bye bye Varley...have fun in Hershey.

Who needs a goalie...?

By the way...Holtby will be the top guy by next season...

Minimize (not eliminate) the Euros and those from over the big pond!
Posted by: SoaringCaps | November 8, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Some people can't see past the last game.

Posted by: Justafan
--------
I've been on record with this and I'll say it again...

Neuvirth will win the #1 this year and play a minimum of 55 reg season games plus all the playoffs...

Holtby will win the #1 either last next year 2011-2012 or early the following... over Neuvirth...

Varly will be gone sometime late next year or the offseason... his lack of healthy will force management to keep the two most healthy goalies...

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 8, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Time to move a goal tender.

Posted by: underpants2

Don't you mean goat lender? I'd trade Varly for a minor league goat lender and a chicken plucker to be named later

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | November 8, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3 and @SteveR

obviously its all best worked on in practice. To me the only way he gets better with rebound control is with NHL games. Like i mentioned last post, facing and controlling AHL caliber shots much easier than NHL shots. And you never really go through practice at true game speed so that is my opinion on the rebound control side. The positioning is definitely something that can be accomplished best with practice.

Posted by: ThePat | November 8, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

and just to clarify... the reason I think this is that Holtby is better technically than Neuvy and when Dave prior says he's got the most potential of all 3, you take heed!

and it looks like Holtby is doing quite well in the past 2 years, no?

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 8, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@Fehr and Chimy fans

I think they're both really talented. They did not play "play off" hockey against the Habs. If that was their best, we're in trouble.

Go to the Hawks site, buy the tape, and watch what the Hawks and Flyers were doing.
EVERY SHIFT was nuts. They were killing each other. We NEVER play that way, which is why I'm a GMGM hater.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 8, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@underpants...OV has 18 points in 14 games, which comes out to 105 points over 82 games, and he can be streaky, I think he will have a couple of hot weeks and could go even higher, his career average is 105.8...so I guess you are right he has looked terrible this season:(

Posted by: boomer44 | November 8, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: boomer44

Please don't quote stats. Arguably, he could have been benched a few times this year. He has overskated a lot of pucks. Many have rolled off his stick. He also seems to be falling a lot this year.

OV's stats are immaterial. He hasn't looked himself at all this yeat.

I take it you don't agree though.

Posted by: underpants2 | November 8, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

@HunterforCoach: Any chance you could share with us how long you've been a hater...I mean, a "fan", the term used very loosely here, of the Capitals? Is there anything you like? Also, by any chance, is your lack of enthusiasm or failure to just hope like the rest of us that we've got a great team, due to a sense of entitlement that you could crap on the this team because they're not the team you grew up with? I'm just saying. We get it. You hate the GM but be honest with yourself: do you think your hatred posted on this board is going to help any? Here's the part where it shouldn't take you too long to realize no one really wants to hear you talk doo-doo about someone who isn't able to argue their position. I've always hated one-sided arguments. But for people like yourself, you thrive with them because the other person is available to counter your complaining. It's just wasted air. Try using it for something more constructive, maybe like a balloon or something.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 8, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

yeat = year
goat = goal

It's spreading.

Posted by: underpants2 | November 8, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@Hunterforcoach

don't get snippy with me just b/c I dared to think your idea was wrong...fyi...I am 24 and have been a fan since I was 9-10. I don't think players sandbagged hanlon either...he had a style that did not work well with our players and coaches often times lose their touch after so many years...it's not like the Caps were any better the year before he was fired either. If Backie wanted to sandbag BB you would think he would be getting progressiely worse...not better (which he is) Ov just needs to stop coasting along waiting for a break out to develop...and that is on BB (but I don't hate BB like u...every coach has issues) The team is getting better every week. At this rate they should hit their stride around late january-early Feb...which is perfct...gives them time to gain confidence and add anything they need at the deadline.

Just b/c I don't share ur philosophies doesn't mean I am some bandwagon fan...that is a childish thing to say...and I defended u despite me not agreeing with u b/c I am mature enough to realize that other people's opinions have vlidity even if I disagree with them.

Posted by: capscoach | November 8, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@soaringCaps

I think the premiership in England is a good example of why we would want to do the opposite. They had a largely domestic league for most of its history, the British game had devolved into a physically brutal, predictable, and ultimately boring brand of "long-ball". At some point, more and more international players and coaches began to gain a footing. The game in England is now much, much better for it and is watched avidly by fans around the world.

I think the league as a whole needs more, not less European influence to become the league it's capable of being. Ideally, there would be European coaches, officials, league office personnel, and owners.

If this happens, the game will become simultaneously more "sissified" to present North American tastes, but ultimately far more dynamic and interesting. Dump and Chase and cycling, it turns out, deservedly lose ability to fascinate for most people. Other approaches to the game will not replace those, but will augment them and enliven the sport.

If what we have seen happen with football in England is any indication, this would great expand the pool of talent by turning many athletes onto the game. You might see great players emerging from China or South America, for instance.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | November 8, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@Hunterforcoach

last thing...it makes tons of sense that Backie would sign a 10 yr. deal for less than he could have gotten elsewhere to a team he just had a horribly disapointing playoffs with and a coach he thinks is useless. In the back of his mind he is thinking..."heck...we'll never win with BB, but I'll sign this 10yr deal and suck on purpose next season and OF COURSE they'll fire him! I mean I can waste away one of my 10 seasons left with the team and it's no biggie! Because after they fire BB the NEW coach will be GREAT for sure and we'll def. win a couple Cups over the next 9 seasons!"

yeah...that makes a lot of sense...backie doesn't need to sandbag BB...if he doesn't perform this season we all know he is gone. Backstrom isn't stupid...he won't waste a Season or even half a season.

Posted by: capscoach | November 8, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

@ Hunter for coach

Change your user name, you and your comments bring nothing but shame on one of the greatest to play here in DC.

@ Capscoach

Go get him, pull his jesery over his head and beat him :) old school

Posted by: bqts | November 8, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

I agree no "sandbagging" is going on with BB. But I think players absolutely quit on Hanlon. I was one of the 6,000 that was in that building on a nightly basis and Im surprised the players didn't start chanting "Fire Hanlon" with all the fans that were there. Their effort those last 5 or 6 games with Hanlon in charge was beyond pathetic and thats what I call sandbagging.

Posted by: ThePat | November 8, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@Steve_R

Positioning and rebound control situations that occur in game situations cannot be fully tought during practice. Suggestions can be made during practice, but going throught the actual motions can only be done in games.

@ThePat

Yes, the shots and speed are better at the NHL. But Holtby has only played about 40 career AHL games. Most of his time has been played in juniors. So playing more time in the AHL will make the transition to the NHL much smaller and thus easier and less bumpy.

So if Holtby continues playing in the AHL and is able to recognize and correct flaws in his game shown during AHL play then when he gets to the NHL, those flaws will not needed to be fixed in addition to the flaws that will become apparaent from NHL play.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 8, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | November 8, 2010 2:53 PM

Throw in a cork soaker and I am sold.

Posted by: capscoach | November 8, 2010 3:42 PM

Unless their posting name is SAOTI, in which case you ignore their obvious attempts at humor and attack him with insults, causing him to go home at night and drink himself into coma to prevent the tears from flowing. JK JK JK - see, this time I bolded the important part so stick out more. :P

I vote we keep all the hate and insults (for the most part) to the opposing team fans at home games. And no, not the good opposing fans that offer playful banter and are good sports, I'm talking about the d-bag ones (typically your Flyers, Devils or Rags fans.

For example: the Bruins fan that decided to get in peoples faces, threatening violence, etc when the B's tied it up...and then (hypothetically of course) when the Caps went back up, you walk down the stairs 3 rows face the crowd and make sure to shake your red towel right in his face causing him to boil with anger (being that he cant get back up since the event staff has already warned him), and right before he explodes you offer him a peaceful fist bump to him and his girlfriend. But alas, no fist bump...so you walk back to your seat with a smile regardless. Again...all hypothetical.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 8, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

You can't trade Varly for anything right now due to the injuries. He has to stay healthy the rest of the year (either in Washington or Hershey or some of both). Having 3 great young goalies is a nice problem to have.

Posted by: chriscaps | November 8, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

@thepat

Oh I agree they probably gave up on Hanlon towards the end! I just don't think they sandbagged him or BB(at least conciously)...we all knew Hanlon was about to be fired...the team just was not built for Hanlon's style...but they had played years under Hanlon losing virtually every game (but I could get lower level seats for like 30 bucks to those games!)Hanlon had no success with that team...despite the playoffs this team is playing under a sold out arena, winning games, and they are the biggest team in DC (ok maybe not the skins) they are a lot happier now and actually have something to play for,

Posted by: capscoach | November 8, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Interesting stat...steckel has the team worst Goal Diff. on the team -10. he has been a minus for 7 of the 12 games.

Posted by: capscoach | November 8, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

Interesting yes, but not exactly shocking as a result of the way he has played this year. He is rapidly winning the job for healthy scratch/hot dog consumer.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 8, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Does he have a one way contact? b/c he could possibly be a decent mentor in Hershey and clear space for us! I mean all he does is take D zone faceoffs

Posted by: capscoach | November 8, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

From how it was explained to me, 1-way v 2-way contracts only deal with how much you make playing for each team. 1-way is the same rate up or down, where as 2-way is paid x amount up and y amount down. He would have to clear waivers and re-entry waivers I believe (re-entry waivers is anything over a mil I think) in order to play in Hershey and be called up.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 8, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't matter if Steck's contract is one or two way, that only deals with how much he is paid at either level. He would have to clear waivers if he is sent down and re-entry waivers if he is recalled. We would most likely lose him.

Posted by: ds_kelly | November 8, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if we lose him. We don't need him.

Posted by: capscoach | November 8, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Steckel is signed for two more years after this year, cap hit 1.1 per year. He's overpaid IMO compared to Bradley at 1.0 and BGordo at 0.8. Would someone claim him if he's put on waivers? Dunno, someone might.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 8, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

@Capscoach

With Gordon healthy we do not need Steckel but that is a big if. Hopefully BG can continue to do the job, stay healthy and the Caps can maybe move Steckel in the next few months.

Posted by: MReilly9 | November 8, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Flash and Varly for Bieksa?

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | November 8, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

@ Hunter for coach

Posted by: bqts | November 8, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm just dying to know what hunterforcoach has said that's so disrespectful...did it come from his 2 posts on this thread, or is it a continuation of something else?

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 8, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

no way is Bieska worth a Flash and Varly

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 8, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Flash has played pretty well over the past few games.

He has been getting in on the forecheck, has been very defensively responsible, and is improving at faceoffs. The line would score more if Laich or Knuble could finish anything.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 8, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Like I said though, it doesn't matter what the Caps do this season. They will be judged by the cynics solely on their playoff performance which I believe will be srutinized even if they lose in the 7th game of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 8, 2010 8:56 AM

@fanohock1:

Too true, my friend, too true. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that:

--If the Caps won in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, the haters would say: "Should have been a sweep. BB got outcoached again and should be fired."

--And even if the Caps did capture the Cup in a sweep (with all 4 wins in regulation time), they'd say: "The Caps don't deserve to hoist the Cup. They didn't play a full 240 minutes of hockey, so they failed to win all four games by shutout. They got there on pure luck and GMGM still sux"

And so on, and so on, ad nauseum. It's always something. They (the haters) are becoming like the spoiled NY Yankee fans. For them, anything less than a 162-0 regular season (with every game a 9-0 no-hitter) followed by playoff/World Series sweeps is a "FAIL"; any pitcher who ever throws anything buyt 100% strikes is a "has-been", and any batter whose lifetime BA is less than 1.000 is a "bum".

So, if the Caps defeat the Rangers tomorrow night, what'll it be?

--"If the Rags had Lundqvist in net the Caps would have been shut-out..."?
--"Torts is a much better coach than BB and didn't deserve to lose..."?
--"If the Rags had Gaborik healthy, the Caps would have lost 5-0..."?
--"The Caps won because were playing against an inferior opponent. They won't do so good against a real contender like [insert SJS, CHI, DET, VAN, PIT, LAK here]..."?
--"Caps barely eked out that 4-1 win. The defense is weak and we should trade Sloan now...."?

Blah, blah, blah.

And if/when the Caps triumph against TB on Thursday, what'll it be?

--"Caps would've lost if Stamkos didn't hit the post..."?
--"St. Louis broke a nail..."?
--"If Lecavalier hadn't been caught cross-checking at the end, the Caps would have lost..."?
--"Ovie was soft 'cause he wouldn't drop 'em when Downie wanted to 'go'..."?
--"Meh. Another stat-padder against a Southleast Division patsy..."?

Whatever.

Some people are incapable of being satisfied. With anything. Ever.

We who are enjoying the ride should continue to do so. I am confident that--should our hopes come to fruition--the Haters will probably either:

a) Still be miserable because there would then be nothing left to be miserable about, or

b) Jump on the bandwagon just as the parade starts, claiming that they "knew all along the Caps could do it".

As for the allegations that PHI was tired etc., etc., these things even out over an 82-game schedule, and I will take the win, thankyouverymuch.
Bartender, Pour Me Another!™

'nuff said

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 8, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Like I've said many times on here, the whole organization who has won exactly NOTHING and some of you fans are awfully arrogant...

Win a playoff series in 6 games or less before you start to think this team is just PERFECT!!!

Posted by: joek443 | November 8, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Bruce: "I don't know what I mean..."

At first I thought these kind of statements were interesting, folksy. Now I know better: that's Bruce's "hockey mind" hard at work. Now I understand why I often have no idea what he's thinking. He has no idea what he means.

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | November 8, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I think perfection isn't what we're claiming. It's just hoping they do what we'd like for them to. And if they don't, have the sense not to go neanderthal and call for the firing of the entire team and their front office and act like this will make up for the lack of a Stanley Cup. But we'd be in a better position when they win the Stanley Cup than the tools like yourself, joek, who keep pouring on the hate but at the same time, claiming they're "supportive" fans. Hypocrite.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 8, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Geez the caps suck this year. They won't even make the playoffs at this pace.

Posted by: Dizruption | November 8, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Typical idiot, clueless, bandwagon Caps fan, Dizr:

You failed to note that if they had any sense, the members of this team would commit hara-kiri right now out shame for their lack of ability and grit. Forget making the playoffs - no REAL fan would acknowledge their right to even complete the season.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 8, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

" . . . out of shame . . ."

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 8, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

@joek443:

Please read my post more carefully. I never said the Caps were perfect, nor did I imply that they were. I have concerns and thoughts about how team can improve, but I also enjoy every game won. Even if it is in the regular season!

I think any NHL player who has suffered any kind of injury in a game (even a regular season game) would likely take umbrage at the suggestion that any of those games--won or lost--is meaningless, or (as you so succinctly put it) "NOTHING".

The President's Trophy may be a pale and disappointing substitute for the Stanley Cup, but it is profoundly insulting to say that it is "nothing"; it is in fact the third hardest award for an NHL team to win (after the Cup itself and the Conference Championship Trophies).

Remember, all 30 teams are vying for the same goal that only one team can attain...and the Caps are not the only team that has yet to win it. Other teams who have never won the Stanley Cup include:

Florida
Atlanta
Ottawa
Columbus
Nashville
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver
Los Angeles
St. Louis

The Whalers didn't win it until they moved to Carolina...

The Nordiques didn't win it until they moved to Denver, which treated them better than their previous (Don Cherry-led) franchise.

To sum up:

As a fan I am grateful for that which has been accomplished, and I am hopeful for what may yet be acheived.

Since when the %$^&#* is that "arrogant"?!?!?

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 8, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I forgot Buffalo...Whose coach I have great respect for despite his having yet to win the Cup.

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 8, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

You're right Stevie. They should probably just fold the franchise because there is no way any team built like this can ever win a championship.

Posted by: Dizruption | November 8, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Ever ever ever. NEVER!!!!!!

Posted by: Dizruption | November 8, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Why would anyone be arrogant over a team's accomplishments? It's not like any of us are actually winning or losing these games.

The fans here who think positively just like the entertainment of watching great hockey and enjoy rooting for the Caps. Sports is entertainment and we like to have fun with it.

That is not to say you can't be critical to have fun. But there are lines. What's the point of watching sports if it only makes you angry? Seems pointless to me.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 8, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

You've got a lot to be angry about in your life, sgm. Trust me, I know about you: I'm an internet blog commenter.

If you can't also get angry about this professional hockey team and demand that other people suffer just as much as you and express that suffering in the exact same manner, well, then we don't need you here.

It's your low expectation and lack of anger that is keeping this team from ever, ever succeeding in the only meaningful way.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 8, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Plus, you're an idiot bandwagon fan if you focus on the positive. You shouldn't even bother watching if you don't know everything there is to know about hockey.

Posted by: Dizruption | November 8, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

You can watch. Just don't comment on something reserved for truly serious fans only . . . like a WaPo blog.

And heaven forfend you are a young reporter for the newspaper whose hockey knowledge doesn't measure up to my, MY standards.

(as angry as I am, the 'Yotes and Wings are kinda fun to watch)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 8, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

you know what's exciting? watching Joe Juneau score that OT goal which sent this team to the Finals, witnessing in person Dale Hunter receive a PERFECT pass from Larry Murphy and beat Hextall in OT of Game 7.

what do those two moments have in common?? they both happened in PLAYOFFS and nothing I do mean NOTHING this current squad has ever done matches those moments.

Wake me up when the REAL season starts!!!

Posted by: joek443 | November 8, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Geez, joek, you say that every time you come here. I've said I promise, I'll wake you up - yet you keep commenting here during the long, worthless regular season.

Once again, I promise: I'll wake you. You just have to stay asleep until then.

(Oh, but how will you hear my wake-up call over your own YELLING??!!! Just a question of logistics - nothing implied there.)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 8, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

You know what was cool about that night? When the caps showed up drunk to piney orchard at 2:30am and celebrated like they had just won the cup. I'd place a good wager that this team won't do anything like that.

Posted by: Dizruption | November 8, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Wake me up when the REAL season starts!!!

Posted by: joek443

Once again, I promise: I'll wake you. You just have to stay asleep until then.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp

Lol, I like that idea!

Posted by: ksaul79 | November 8, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Wake me up when the REAL season starts!!!

Posted by: joek443

Once again, I promise: I'll wake you. You just have to stay asleep until then.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp

Lol, I like that idea!

Posted by: ksaul79 | November 8, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

@leftcoast

A new GM will move half of these players after we run into another "hot" goaltender.
I do like half the players on this team. I think a legit NHL coach could turn a Mike Green into a poor man's version of Bobby Orr. Semin can play shut down defense and score 40 goals with the right coaching.I can go on for pages about what a real NHL level coach could do with this talent.

Just think what a real NHL coach could have done with talent that Butch "The cocktail napkin kid" Cassidy lost to the Bolts with.

I'll be a Caps fan long after LL in Jersey hires GMGM as chief of scouting. This is the fan's team. I know from your tone that you didn't have to sit through all those years of Patrick Division foes pounding our team on the way to the another cUp.
We've seen Stanley Cup winners built piece by piece as the Pens, Isles, Devils, Rangers, Canes, and Bolts burned down our building.

I think many of us know how to build a cUp winner after watching those organizations
fry us the past 35 years. I will remain a fan. I will root for the boys, but I know half these guys don't have the heart of a champion. I've seen too many champions finish us off in our building. That's were all the hate comes from. Lefty, I don't think you've lived it. You've only heard about it.

Why do I like a guy who thows cheap shots ?
Because Dale played playoff hockey ever night.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 8, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

@leftcoast

Why do I like a guy who thows cheap shots ?
Because Dale played playoff hockey ever night.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 8, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

Didn't mean to offend. I Know Backy signed a 10 year deal. I watched him on the bench at the end of game 7. He did not have a look of disbelief. He acted like he knew the loss was coming. No changes were made to address what the Habs were doing.

The man's a savy hockey player. I think he really knows after being in some playoff battles that Bruce can't take them to the mountain top. Just saying. Bruce will go. Backy knows it. I'm assuming he likes the area and the organization. Coaches and GM's come and go.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 8, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

------------

of course not, you gotta win more than one series to get to the Finals!!!

Posted by: joek443 | November 8, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

It's funny but sad - my business emails never have typos yet journalists for the post never proof their articles

Posted by: nativedc | November 8, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I call bs.

"Never" is a long, long time.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 8, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to original Caps radio broadcaster Ron Weber for receiving the Hockey Hall of Fame's Foster Hewitt Award Monday.

Any chance the Caps will honor Weber at an upcoming home game? They certainly should.

Posted by: OrrCountry | November 9, 2010 5:29 AM | Report abuse

@SoaringCaps and the rest of the retards posting here:

Get rid of the European players, wonderful idea! I'm sure the caps will win a lot of games with Knuble, Laich and Chimera as a 1st line!

Backie waiting till BB gets fired. What an amazing observation!!! I mean, I would sign a 10-year contract with a company for less then I could get to work for a boss I didn't like, just in the hope the company will fire the boss and hire someone else. That is what the last chapter of The Prince is all about!

Practice as a substitute for in-game practice? Really? So you think OV is laying out his team-mates in practice? Is Knuble crashing the net? Are players diving to block shots? Getting into physical battles in front of the net? Hockey isn't baseball or basketball, if you practice like you play, you will injure half the team. Especially goaltenders, who need to get caught up to the speed of the game, need to get adjusted after a long absence. Even while playing, goalies get beat when play has been on the other end of the ice for a long time, simply because they are out of rhythm.

Most of the comments here look like they are from a Wilbon-Wise hockey debate. Soaringcaps adds the always enlightening Don Cherry element...

Posted by: salparadise661 | November 9, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse