Posted at 12:32 PM ET, 11/24/2010

Semyon Varlamov first off the ice, Poti out

By Katie Carrera

All three Capitals goaltenders -- Semyon Varlamov, Michal Neuvirth and Braden Holtby -- were out on the ice for the morning skate at RBC Center Wednesday, but it was Varlamov who headed to the dressing room first and took shots from the forwards in practice.

Those signs usually indicate who will be the starting goaltender, so we'll have to see if they hold true when the team comes out for warm-ups this evening. Coach Bruce Boudreau said Neuvirth, who was the second goaltender off the ice this morning, told him he felt fine but the coach wouldn't commit to a starter against the Hurricanes.

--Defenseman Tom Poti didn't skate too long this morning and said afterward that he would be out against Carolina. He said he's not sure if he'll be back in the mix later this week or not.

Conversely, Mike Green said he would play against the Hurricanes. During his comments to the media, which occur before the players come off the ice in the morning, Boudreau wouldn't say if he expected call-up Brian Fahey to be in the lineup tonight.

--One thing is certain however, and that's that Washington will face Justin Peters in net at RBC Center. Cam Ward's wife, Cody, gave birth to a baby boy around 6:30 a.m. today so the Hurricanes' usual starter will be spending time with his family.

By Katie Carrera  | November 24, 2010; 12:32 PM ET
Categories:  Michal Neuvirth, Semyon Varlamov
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals recall Brian Fahey
Next: Bruce Boudreau: 'Tired is a state of mind'

Comments

Wow! So Cam Ward's son has same b-day as moi!

Hey Cam: How bout naming that kid tominsocal1 Ward? Huh? Can I take that as a "Yes?"

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 24, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Please let Fahey eat nachos in the press box!

Posted by: AADCDERM | November 24, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

BTW, the last game Fahey played, I thought he was better than Sloan.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 24, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

sloan and fahey are the path to the cUp

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 24, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday Tom

Posted by: ablake70 | November 24, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Capt. I spit my drink out laughing so hard.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 24, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"sloan and fahey are the path to the cUp" - Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

If by Cup you mean toilet after watching them play...then I concur.

I second the nacho comment. Just say no to "Corndog Nugget".

@tominsocal
Last time I played, I thought I was better than Sloan too. Doesnt mean much. :)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 24, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Capt. I spit my drink out laughing so hard.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 24, 2010 1:22 PM

much like the caps - i'm here to try and entertain!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 24, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

not to beat a dead horse here, but what the hell...

do you think "chucklegate" will change ovi in any way? do you think that maybe with the way a lot of people are reacting to this will open up his eyes to how a captain should act?

i'm not saying that he did anything wrong and i'm not that he didn't. me personally, i think it's a little disrespectful to "catch up" so close to where his coach is holding a press conference trying to explain his team's lackluster performanc, but i also don't know the logistics of the situation.

i'm just asking because there seems to be more negative reactions than positive ones. so do you think ovi will see how it could be perceived as disrespectful?

i don't know, the more i type this the more i confuse myself.

bottom line, do you think ovi will adjust how he conducts himself on and off the ice as our captain because of this incident?

Posted by: natresgroup | November 24, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

ablake (and others): Thanks. A fine present would be a win tonight. That will be my wish, besides stock market going up. I will be competing though on birthday wishes with Cam Ward Jr who be rooting for Canes. It might be hard to win against a newborn.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 24, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

It might be hard to win against a newborn.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 24, 2010 1:37 PM

you have enough grit to take out a newborn!!
but sarge would be a whole different story.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 24, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Is Ward's newborn a better hockey player than Sloan....I think so.

Posted by: Searchingforstanley | November 24, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse