Semyon Varlamov out tonight vs. Bruins

Coach Bruce Boudreau said yesterday that goalie Semyon Varlamov would play the entire preseason game tonight against the Boston Bruins at Verizon Center, but it appears that's no longer the case. Via the Caps' Mike Vogel:

Last minute change for # Caps in goal: Michal Neuvirth starts tonite, backed up ny Dany Sabourin. More on the blog in a bit.less than a minute ago via txt

Varlamov, of course, spent a great deal of last season trying to overcome nagging injuries before returning in February, but it's not clear why the Caps made the switch tonight. More to come soon.

Update, via Mike Vogel: When asked why Varlamov would not play, Boudreau said: "Maintenance, general maintenance. Not feeling 100 percent."

By Lindsay Applebaum  | September 28, 2010; 5:18 PM ET
Categories:  Michal Neuvirth, Semyon Varlamov
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Marcus Johansson looks to find a spot in Caps' lineup
Next: Ovechkin records pair of assists in preseason debut: Capitals 3, Bruins 2

Comments

Vogs has removed that tweet...at least I don't see it on his feed anymore.

Posted by: patrone | September 28, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

i'm gonna order my #80 jersey now!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 28, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

nevermind...stupid slow twitter updates when you aren't signed in...

Posted by: patrone | September 28, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

“This is going to be a good place to play. I’m really excited. All the guys here are awesome and the staff is great. It’s going to be a very exciting team to be a part of. I’m very privileged to come here and play.”

He’s already pondered the possibility of being on a line with McNeill.

“I’m here to help out the guys with whatever they need,” Rechlicz said. “I’ll take care of the dirty work. Me and McNeill will do fine with that.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 28, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1:
compete level
1) flash
2) semin
3) everybody else

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 28, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

fragile russian - weird.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | September 28, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

you better put on your fireman costume Kirk, because you're about to get flambéd!

and if by compete level, you mean pantydroppers, that list is spot on.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 28, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh.

Posted by: zmega | September 28, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

also explains why Tomas is sitting tonight. His rigorous offseason workout has left him spent. I wonder if he got that little thingy where you sit on the couch all day and your ABS get worked out with an electric belt. Or maybe Richard Simmons' Sweatin to the Oldies?

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 28, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

and if by compete level, you mean pantydroppers, that list is spot on.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 28, 2010 5:42 PM

i knew you wouldn't bite

i don't feel i'm getting my entertainment value for the time i'm spending reading today - so i'm trying to entertain myself

also - i forgot #2a - gmgm

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 28, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Anyone knows if theres a stream for tonite game?

Posted by: guer_j | September 28, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I tnink flash has been having to many 'garden salads'

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 28, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I tnink flash has been having to many 'garden salads'

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 28, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

First Flash now Varly for "last minute maintenance" huh.....This is getting somewhat intriguing....

Posted by: dcfury | September 28, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 28, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I smell trade. Flash and Varly being pulled this late sends up red flags. Maybe they've decided they want to keep MP and MJ at C, making Flash expendable. But to get a top pair D, they would also need to move one of their two young goalies. Just a thought...

Posted by: cbl-pdx | September 28, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Tom & Cstanton - I made an error in my draft results for GMGM. In the 1st round we've drafted 11 and 7 (64%) of those 11 have played in the NHL so far. I think it's safe to say though that come opening night MJ will be in the lineup so that would be 8 of 11 or 73%. It's still better than any other team. Not to mention the fact that ALL of our 1st round picks are strong, above average or elite players. They're not just having a cup of coffee in the NHL. Also lets not forget about Kuznetsov. Safe to say you can pencil him into the Caps lineup in the next yr or 2 depending on a transfer agreement from Russia.

Regardless GMGM's drafting is pretty darn good when you compare it to the rest of the league. People don't realize that in hockey you're drafting 18yr olds. They're not even done growing yet. Most don't even have facial hair or enough to shave anyway.

So I'm on board the frustration wagon of not filling some of the holes in the roster via trade or UFA but I'm more than happy with his drafting.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 28, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cbl-pdx | September 28, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I get the same feeling as you, but it would take A LOT for the Caps to move Varly this early. It'll be interesting to see what shakes out

Posted by: dcfury | September 28, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

if they trade varly - they better at least get juice back

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 28, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

There is a glut of goalies out there. Sharks signed a Cup winner for half of what we signed Theo for 2 years ago.

I can see the Flames though, they have a lot of money tied up in K'soff and Varly would be a cheap upgrade to the backup. Probably resign him for the market set by Neuvirth = next to nothing. Flash + Varly for Regher = IN A NY MINUTE, before Sutter changes his mind!

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | September 28, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

As far as the PK is concerned I've said this for 2yrs now. Some of the people on here that have been here for a bit like Tom can back me up on this. Here's the problem though:

Our forwards do NOT prevent the pass down low. Look at ANY video clip of our PK for the last 2yrs. Our forwards do NOT pressure the points at all. What they do is position themselves & their sticks to prevent the pass to the other point essentially forcing a pass down low. Well if you've got your 2 high guys up top and the puck is forced down low you now have a 3 on 2 down low and bang bang it's in the net. I have NEVER in all my years being around this game ever seen a PK "designed" to do this. You always want to prevent the puck from going down low. Goalies want the shot from the points they don't want a pass across the crease period! I have seen teams trying to prevent a point man from blasting slapshots from the point before but that was when an elite player was at that point and they wanted to stop that particular player from shooting. We act like we don't want ANY shots coming from the point & I just don't get that.

Now on the contrary, if the top forward covering the point man with the puck and he forces the pass down low and the weak side forward collapses to break up the 3 on 2 that would be an ok plan but we don't do that so it's constantly a 3 on 2 down low with us. Look where we gave up goals on the PK. The majority of them didn't come from the point, they came from down low.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 28, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Isles have some serious injury issues. Okposo is now out and needing shoulder surgery and they already lost Streit. Too bad they don't have anything to offer anybody to fill those holes.

Oh wait! Lets send them Flash, Beagle, Finley & a 2nd round pick for Tavares!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 28, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

pokerfaceI208:
but don't 'point' shots on the PK usually result in a deflection off of a dman, who is feebly trying to clear the crease, and into the net anyway?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 28, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

haha, feebly, hahaha!
thx for my end of day laugh! I say we go get the biggest fattest human we can find, dress him up like a goalie and stick him in the net. Like one of those 1250 lb guys on the Discovery channel with t*ts the size of manhole covers. Then all our dmen can go have the time of their lives in the offensive end.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 28, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1:
at least one dman would have a stick with the blade shaped like a shoehorn - to get the goalie into and out of the net

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 28, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I have been told the caps site is going to have a feed

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 28, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Laperriere and Leighton are both out for a while now in Philly. Trade with them?

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | September 28, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Feebly! Nice! If you have somebody like an OV or a Pronger at the point you'll want to try and prevent them from takin shots but for the most part a goalie wants the point shot so long as he's not screened. If a goalie sees the shot from the point he'll get it but passes down low are just a night mare. You hear players all the time say that they have to make the keeper go from post to post and get him moving to get something by him. That's what I'm referring to.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 28, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

A trade like that would have already leaked if they did not suit them up. I do not think the Caps would trade Varly. Flash maybe. The Caps will stand pat possibly until mid season. Unless there is someone willing to unload a top flight stay at home tough guy D man who can move the puck. The Caps do not have this and many teams do not it. Hard to trade that which is what the Caps need for Flash and Varly

Posted by: pkme | September 28, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

If GMGM went silent for the entire summer and then trades Varly before his first full preseason start I might just flip my ****. The return would have to be ridiculous.

Posted by: Raber | September 28, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Washingtoncaps.com is airing the caps game - go there to watch.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | September 28, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I am WATCHING caps hockey!!! the world is right again!!

Posted by: capscoach | September 28, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

DJ just introduced himself to DC!

Posted by: capscoach | September 28, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Not a good goal given up by Neuvy there.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 28, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

So much for the PK getting better. Steckel's still on it.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 28, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

yeah - i caught 14.8 seconds of the first period

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 28, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts from the game. King is what we thought he was. All three young centers have looked good so far. Carlson has twice been ahead of all of the forwards on a breakout both times Eakin was good and covered but I hope it is something he stops doing which he won't since BB is telling him to be more like Green. PK kept the Bs from getting anything set up and forced an icing that ended the PP with a boarding call. Neuvy has to stop letting in softies but has looked good otherwise.

Anyone know what happened to Green he was supposed to play according to before but schultz is in instead?

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 28, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

1st period intermission, Caps 1, Boston-1

Posted by: JMinVA | September 28, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

How did DJ do in his first fight?

Posted by: StanleyCap | September 28, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

that's what semin can do. he also controled the puck while MP went to the bench to get another stick

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 28, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

MP should be MJ

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 28, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

2nd intermission: Caps-2, Boston-1

Posted by: JMinVA | September 28, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Tarik used to Tweet during the game, what up now?

Posted by: Willy6 | September 28, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

My second period thoughts. Two PKs and both draw a PPs to end them which means I didn't get to see the pk much but they were forcing the Bs into taking penalities. Carlson when on d one on one looked great and I didn't see him leaving the zone early that period so maybe BB told him to find a happy medium. Semin showed what happens when you give a forward too much time outside on a PK I hope our guys were taking note of that.

Still looking for any info as to why Green was set to play earlier but didn't?

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 28, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Why does the live stream ALWAYS break down!!!

Posted by: capscoach | September 28, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Final: Caps -3, Boston-2

Posted by: JMinVA | September 28, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Boston has Savard and Sturm out longterm and 2 starting goalies fighting for space. Why not fly flash and varly back with the team and save travel expenses, leave Thomas and a conditional pick in wsh.

As for pk, it is all about desire and determination. There are not too many forwards(or d)for the caps that fit this type of player on the d side of the ice.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | September 28, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

If GMGM traded Flash and Varly for Tim Thomas and a conditional pick I would immediately jump on the GMGM "haters" bandwagon.

That trade proposal makes no sense on so many levels. The first being Tim Thomas' ridiculous contract size and remaining term.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 28, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | September 28, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

If that trade went down it would take a Stanley Cup and a Vezina for Mcphee to keep his job.

Posted by: dcfury | September 28, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game and here our some observations:

1. Tyler Sloan is awful.
2. The three young Centers had pretty solid games.
3. MaJo who I have been skeptical of is clearly the best hockey player of the 3 young Centers. He's smooth, defensively responsible, and has good vision. He is weak along the boards.
4. I think MP will come up short and will be in Hershey.
5. Eakin is going to be an awesome 3C for this team in a year. He has energy, plays gritty and finishes checks in the corners.
6. Neuvy was solid after the 1st softy goal.
7. If every roster spot was truly open David Steckel or Boyd Gordon would clearly not have a job. And based on the end of last season and tonight, Steckel is in a tough spot.
8. DJ King's fight was pretty solid.
9. I hope we trade Flash and finally
10. I really hope we trade Flash.

Posted by: ThePat | September 28, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

I am thinking it is very possible that either Steckel or BGordon gets traded for a mid-round draft pick. Mostly because of the roster squeeze. This is dependent on how much the coaching staff likes the play of the younger guys but it could definitely happen. Especially now having Hendricks who could play 4th line center and kill penalties.

Steckel was very bad at the end of last year. He needs to show significant improvement, ideally reverting back to his play against the Pens in the playoffs in 2009. However, with his contract situation($1.1M for 2 more years)it might be more beneficial for Washington to move him. However, because of that same contract situation, it may also be tough to move him.

I think it will be very interesting to see what occurs in the next few days. I do think Eakin will be sent down. The combination of the roster squeeze and his inability to play more than 10 games or be forced to remain on the roster for the entire season is too great of a risk for the Caps to take. Especially considering the other options the Caps presently have. I hope he does very well in Hershey, after his junior year ends, and he will definitely be a 3rd line center option for 2011-2012.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 28, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Can't teach quicks and speed. Looks like Eakin is picking up where he left off last year when he scored 50 goals between Swift Current and a few games in Hershey. Hard to see how Cody can develope much more when they stick him back with the Broncos this year. MaJo scored all of 11 goals over in Sweden last year. Guess they check closer over there.

Posted by: dull | September 28, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock (copy also sent to email),

First of all, I would like to sincerely thank you for the kind offer of tickets to Friday's game. Unfortunately, the only two babysitters we trust are both already taken that evening so there is no way my wife could accompany me. That left one of my two daughters which exploded into WWIII in my house last night! We even had a consolation prize for the one that chose not to come as going to dinner at their favorite restaurant and the theatre to catch a movie with their mother with ice cream afterwards. No dice, they fought for what seemed like forever until I finally said that nobody was going.

Once again, I appreciate the offer and if during the season you guys can't make a game or two I would appreciate if you kept us in mind as possible buyers!

Posted by: PhilR | September 29, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse