Semyon Varlamov taking shots in practice

By Katie Carrera

For the first time since he went back on injured reserve with a groin injury in late October, Semyon Varlamov is taking shots in practice with the rest of the Capitals. Varlamov has missed the past seven games with the latest flare up of his groin injury, which initially cut his training camp short and forced him to miss the first four games of the year.

Last week, Varlamov began skating at KCI again and Coach Bruce Boudreau said he hoped the goaltender would be ready to go in a week to 10 days. Varlamov worked on his side-to-side movement in goal and took part in drills with strength-and-conditioning coach Mark Nemish and goaltending coach Arturs Irbe during those sessions.

--Brooks Laich is the only player not on the ice this morning for the Caps. He was held out of the third period against the Flyers Sunday with an upper-body injury. I'll get an update on him after practice.

By Katie Carrera  | November 8, 2010; 11:19 AM ET
Categories:  Brooks Laich, Injuries, Semyon Varlamov
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps' third line finding a rhythm
Next: Semyon Varlamov eager to get back in the mix for Caps

Comments

We need brooks back, hope it aint anything to serious

Posted by: bqts | November 8, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

@bqts

Yes we need Brooks back. However maybe im in the minority but on this homestand he wasn't very good at all. At first I thought Bruce had benched him because I still thought I saw him on the bench. Then realized its Bruce and he only does that to Eric Fehr.

Posted by: ThePat | November 8, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

It's November, let Brooksie sit and heal. The Caps are getting Poti back soon and can call up MaJo or MP for 2nd line center and move Flash back to wing. Fehr or Knubs can play RW as needed, if Semin, MJ/MP, Flash seems a bit too defensively challenged. No biggie this time of year.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | November 8, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

Holtby hasn't had that much experience at the AHL level. IMO, he has things to work on(rebound control and positioning). He shows great promise, but like most young goalies, there are flaws.

Those are best worked on in game situations. Getting more AHL experience will be very beneficial to Holtby. Sincw Holtby has only played about 40 career AHL games, he has, in no way, learned everything he can at that level.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 8, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@ The Pat

I agree he hasn't been playing his normal game

@ Jim

I hope they call MP up, push Flush out to the wing.

Am I the only one who thinks Holtby has a long way to go. I sit behind home goal, Section 115, and on Friday we got 2 lucky wistles from the ref. Holtby didnt have the puck, it was right infront of him but he did grab but we got a wistle anyway.
Then yesterday, I read today BB though he did well in the third. I agree a couple of nice saves yes but what about the rest of the shots and the rebounds he is giving up ????? Am I the only one that see this.

Shout out to Section 115 !!!!!!!!!

Drop the Puck !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bqts | November 8, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

On Holtby it was his second ever NHL game. He has never seen those type of shots before other than in Caps practices. The more he sees them, the rebound control will be better. That is one thing you can't improve playing at the AHL level bc the shots you are seeing are COMPLETELY different. The one thing that impresses me, is he is only 6'1 but he plays like he is 6'4. He just looks big in the net.

Posted by: ThePat | November 8, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

ThePat: That BB argument is so dang old. BB is trashed for sitting or not sitting players all the time. Some say Flash is one of his treasured ones. Well, he sat Flash last year for game 7. He benched Semin for stick infractions two years ago on a regular basis. Last year his PIMs were down as a result even though he played 9 more games.

Semin is playing better because he is in a contract year? Better? Better than what. He had 40 goals, 84 points, and averaged less than a minute in PIMs last year. The fact is, Semin's just a darn good hockey player. Flashes of brilliance were being shown back in 2003-04. We nicknamed him crazy legs though because if you think he tangles his legs up now, you should have seen him back them. Looked like a superstar one shift, and a lab puppy the next. He ended that season in classic Semin fashion by missing a road flight to Pittsburgh.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 8, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock

I dont understand why you get upset with the BB and benching discussion. I know you defend him at almost all costs, but come on. Flash is his boy. I think GMGM had a lot more to do with that benching than Bruce did in game 7. In fact the benching came 4 games to late. In my opinion Brooks has played poor enough the last 3 or 4 games to warrant being sat down. And I dont think BB would ever bench/scratch him. He only does it to certain players and every coach is like that.

Posted by: ThePat | November 8, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I just don't see what you and other see as far as benching. To imply that Ovi should be benched when he has a few bad games has been suggested. I'm not saying by you, but it has. Well, BB doesn't do that because Ovi has shown in his few years in the NHL is that when he breaks out of his slump, it is usually an explosion. If you watch the post game interviews you see that Ovi takes losses and bad games harder than any of us. He takes ALL the blame, and that was before he was the Captain. To just beat the BB sits guys, but only certain guys, is old. The Caps are 10-4 and playing good hockey right now. BB has made between game and in game adjustments and he still isn't recognized as a good coach. His obvious focus on defense is evident in the team's GAs this year, but he is still ragged on. I am prepared to listen to all of this through a Stanley Cup win. After that, I GUARANTEE there will be "fans" on here outlining why the Caps should not have won the Cup, and that they were lucky.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 8, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"IMO, he has things to work on(rebound control and positioning). He shows great promise, but like most young goalies, there are flaws.

Those are best worked on in game situations."

sgm, and what would practice be for...?

Posted by: Steve_R | November 8, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@ The Pat...I watched my recording of the game late last night to see when Brooks was injured. I started watching after the Semin PP goal and Brooks was in front of the net, until Joe B finally mentioned with 4 1/2 minutes left that Brooks hadn't been playing & Locker said he was on the bench...the point is that the few shifts I rewatched late in the 2nd period I focused on Brooks and he is so positionally sound and does all the little things so well that even when he isn't scoring he is contributing to the team

Posted by: boomer44 | November 8, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock

What I see as a need for a benching is if players arent playing up to their normal standards over a period of time. And for different players that period of time is different. For a guy like Brooks who is known for bringing it every night typically, but hasn't seemed to the last 3 games and just seems a bit off. I'd say now is a time to sit him for a game. The same thing that BB did with Fehr. Just sort of a lets get going here type of message. But imo Bruce wouldn't do that to Brooks bc of how intense and emotional he is. I don't know why people think sitting down for 1 game out of 82 is such a bad thing. Quite often its good to watch from the press box to get reenergized and see the game from a different view.

I am not arguing here about BB and his overall coaching ability. So don't go off on a different tangent. So far this season the team has done well. The first handful of games the effort wasn't great but since then it has been much better.

Posted by: ThePat | November 8, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

@boomer44

Brooks didn't play the whole 3rd period. He took a hit at the end of the 2nd period. Sometimes a player not being noticed is a good thing, for a guy like Brooks you want him to be noticed. Thats just my opinion. And the fact the announcers didnt mention it until 4 minutes left is shocking. I noticed the first time the 2nd line jumped over the boards to start the 3rd period and Chimera came out on the left wing and then Hendricks came out with the 3rd line.

Posted by: ThePat | November 8, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Well, you may get your wish. Brooks was the only one not at practice today because of "an upper body injury." Unfortunately he will probably be watching the game from the press box.

Boomer44: Brooks took a big hit along the boards to the left of Holtby in the 1st. He got up really slow and based on the game sheet he played less than 9 minutes. To be honest I didn't notice him much at all in the 3rd. A fellow season ticket holder loves Brooks, and wears his jersey, and she and I talked about him not being on the ice. There was even a time during the 3rd that he wasn't on the bench and it then we noticed him in the middle of the bench when OT began.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 8, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@Pat
@FanHock

I noticed he wasn't playing in the 3rd that's why I watched the recording. I forgot about that hit, good memory. My point to Pat was that the two shifts I saw him play late in the 2nd he was so good positionally and fundamentally sound. I would like to see him get another shot at 2C, he looked good in the Calgary game. But last season I didn't like his play when he was at C and Flash on LW.

Posted by: boomer44 | November 8, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Did any of you Hershey folks get a chance to see MJ play yesterday? How did he look? His stat line looked not terribly impressive, but that doesn't tell the whole story. It also seems like Sabourin is a total sieve. I'm sure everyone up there is anxious to have Holtby back. Is there anyone else in the Caps system who they could call up to Hershey?

Posted by: zmega | November 8, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse