Several Caps Head to Worlds

When the World Championships begin this week in Quebec City and Halifax, there could be as many as eight Capitals playing. According to the IIHF's preliminary rosters, Mike Green (Canada), Cristobal Huet (France), Tomas Fleischmann (Czech Republic), Nicklas Backstrom (Sweden), Alex Ovechkin, Sergei Fedorov, Alexander Semin and Semen Varlamov (Russia) are all expected to play.

I'm hearing that Ovechkin and Semin joined Team Russia last night, but Ovechkin is still waiting for insurance on his 13-year, $124 million contract. Insurance for Ovechkin's contract might cost the Russian Hockey Federation as much as $800,000. The Russians have said they will pay, but Ovechkin is contractually prohibited from going on the ice until coverage is in place.

If insurance is secured, and Fedorov joins his countrymen, I'm also hearing that there could be an "all-Capitals" top line of Ovechkin-Fedorov-Semin. That would be fun to watch, wouldn't it?

You can follow all WC roster news and game results here.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 28, 2008; 10:13 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kolzig Explains Nameplate Removal
Next: Ovechkin Named Hart Finalist (Updated)

Comments

Posted by: loser | April 28, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Dang we were so close to 600 on the last thread...

Posted by: MetalCap | April 28, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

oh to have to wait for an $800k insurance policy to clear before i have to go back to work. what a "horrible" problem to have

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Tarik:
I was looking at the IIHF website over the weekend and if I read the broadcast portion right, it appears that there will be free live webcasts of the games available at www.wcsn.com

Posted by: tess | April 28, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Is it bad if I root against insurance so he can rest his legs and relax a little bit?

Posted by: Go Skins Go | April 28, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

It's not like he's being made to play, he obviously wants to.

Besides, if he wasn't playing at Worlds, he'd be in Russia training.

Russian Machine Never Sleep.

Posted by: keef | April 28, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back Tarik!

It would be hard to root for the Russians, but if there were an all Caps line like that I would have to.

Posted by: uncatim | April 28, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Tarik.

Is it weird that I'm rooting for Russia in the World's instead of my home country? Oh well.

Posted by: Jordan | April 28, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

This is great, with all those Caps spread around, I can't lose :)

Posted by: honed | April 28, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

What is it that people are seeing in Fleischmann? Seeing his name listed for Czech Republic just made me think about him. I just don't get it; I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but he doesn't pursue the puck, he is not aggressive, and is not strong on the puck. Anyone have any opinions?

Posted by: Roose | April 28, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

It would be amazing to see those 3 be on the same line together in the worlds I just hope something happens to where Russia doesnt get to play canada or sweden wouldnt want Ovie to have to lay a hit on Green or Backstrom.

Posted by: Luis | April 28, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I'll happily root against the Tortorella-led US team.

Lets hope Flash gets some confidence from this event.

Quebec City is an awesome town, by the way.

Posted by: Stormblue | April 28, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

That would be a pretty wicked top line! I wish these games were on tv. I would watch this over a pens/rags playoff game anyday....

Posted by: Grape8 | April 28, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@ Luis - funny you should mention the ov hits on green/Backie. Wasnt it Ovie who laid out Gonchar and he was out for quite a long time. I cant recall if Gonchar was still a Cap or not, maybe he was a bruin at the time.

Posted by: Grape8 | April 28, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik

Any word on the how much Philly Sucks????

They beat us on a coin-flip game 7, and they think they are the better hockey club...

What a bunch of garbage...I hope Montreal beats them to a pulp...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Here's hoping Flash has a great tourney, and improves his trade value. We have two stud LW's already, and Flash isn't built for third line duties.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 28, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

How does Huet do it from an insurance angle?

He has no contract in place..what if he gets hurt?

Posted by: SA-Town | April 28, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone explain the rationale of playing this series during the heart of the Stanley Cup playoffs? It used to be in the summer.

Posted by: Bill T | April 28, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Huet under contract until June 30?

Posted by: Jordan | April 28, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

As an insurance agent I would love to write a policy with a $800,000 premium

Posted by: Mike | April 28, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Any chance Nylander will play for Sweden?

Posted by: Johnny | April 28, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Yes, that would be fun to watch, if only we could.

Posted by: Jill | April 28, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Why does the Capitals hate the USA?

Posted by: KraziJoe | April 28, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Huet's insurance would have to be against his future earning potential-- as opposed to contract in place. He'd have to work out with the insurance agency what his fair market value is and then they'd price it accordingly. He'll probably get "screwed" because he was in a contract year and the demand for quality goalies is high this year, so he'll probably have his value inflated 25% or so, but insurance won't reflect that.

Insurance companies are also protected because if you make a comeback, you have to pay it back, as was the case with Bryan Berard, who came back from a nasty eye injury to sign (I think) a $6M contract over four years. I think his insurance payout had been $3M ish so he was paying the insurance company back for a few years.

Posted by: GJ | April 28, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Is there no U.S. television coverage? I don't get it. They take NHL stars (but not all) in their prime, put them on the ice (and at risk) for a series with no television revenue, and which does not directly benefit the teams that pay their slaries. What am I missing?

Posted by: Bill T | April 28, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Here's an international sports site that is saying it will stream all of the games live. And it's free. I watched a couple minutes of a cycling race on it yesterday just to check out the quality. It's not like HD TV but it's ok.

Posted by: tess | April 28, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

tarik,

when was the last time the caps had someone play for team canada?

Posted by: sonia | April 28, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Will you be covering any of the Stanley Cup playoffs for the Post?
The past few days, I literally had trouble finding coverage of the previous night's games in the sports section. And that's not an exaggeration--both today and Saturday, I leafed through the sports section, couldn't find the hockey coverage, and then had to look at the index on the front of the section in order to find the brief articles and box scores nestled under a high school lacrosse article or something.

Posted by: Eric | April 28, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Who loves stats?
I really love how of the 8 NHLers on Russia's roster, 3 of them are Capitals. (Not including Varlamov)
Not including Teams USA & Canada, Capitals make up more than 10% of NHL players representing their countries, out of the 20 NHL teams with players on European teams. St Louis and Chicago have no players on European teams.
Southeast Division has contributed 17 of the 50 NHL players, not including US or Canada.
Belarus, Latvia, Italy & Norway have no NHLers, Canada & US have only 5 players between them not playing NHL.
Greatest concentration of an NHL team, including US & Canada? Phoenix Coyotes, with 10 players. Smallest #, Calgary, Atlanta, and Vancouver, all with 1. We're tied for 3rd, at 7, with Florida, behind Phoenix & Edmonton (9)
I just wasted 45 minutes of my life on useless research. Development camp can't get here fast enough...Go Caps!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Tarik...

Who's in net? Olie or Huet

Will Clark's groin be able to play for team Canada?

Why is Laing being scratched?

Thanks Tarik...

Posted by: JSchon | April 28, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

JSchon, you forgot Pothier's shoulder and Nylander's concussion...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Add ons:

Poor reffing
Bad ice at VC

Posted by: Steve R | April 28, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

BTW, before there is any confusion... When I said "Will Clark's groin", I meant Chris Clarks groin, not Will Nuschler Clark, the former baseball player, who had one of the prettiest swings ever...

Posted by: JSchon | April 28, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I think somebody *coughTeamsRussiaSwedenCanadaCzechcough* paid off the refs in the Philly series so that they could get Cap players on their rosters. How's that for a conspiracy theory?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

thanks anon...

Thanks Tarik...

Will Nylander's concussion don a Swedish sweater?

Posted by: JSchon | April 28, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I watched the Pitt/NYR game yesterday afternoon (I was bored and desperate for hockey) and heard Doc Emrick talk about the poor ice conditions in Pittsburgh for the first game because of the warm outdoor temps. He mentioned a name of the guy who is the NHL "ice guru" and said he goes around to the various arenas, especially at playoff time, to make sure the ice is up to NHL 'standard.'

Where was this guy last week? Tarik, do you know anything about him or if he was involved with our ice at the VC? If not, I wonder why not....

Also mentioned was the fact that there would be no 'white out' in Pittsburgh for game 2 and that it was based on "Sidney Crosby's request." Anyone know anything more about this? The announcers never said anything more about it.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 28, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

DevilsCapsGal,
It reminds him of the color water is when it splashes after a cannonball. You know, or an ungraceful dive. Whichever you prefer. Not that I'm accusing him of anything...

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and the "ice guru" is really a polar bear, and he had shows booked at the zoo during our series...

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

JSchon,

Got a haiku handy for Cindy's diving?

Posted by: Steve R | April 28, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

tess 9and anyone else), WCSN isn't bad. Its about the only way gymnastics fans are able to watch competitions any more, particularly international competitions like world championships, and they show them lvie, not 9 week tape delay like the US networks. I've had a few problems with WCSN, but they're receptive when I call and complain and things usually get straightened out quickly. I believe they use MLB's webfeed technology. I'm not sure how well it'll work for fast-paced hockey games, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Posted by: Birdie | April 28, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Crosby flips and flops
as he plays soccer on ice
Free kick for Sidney

Posted by: JSchon | April 28, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know when the next World Cup of Hockey will be played? In my opinion one of the best sporting experiences in the world since it not held during the NHL season and has the complete collection of NHL players for each country. Can you imagine a line with Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk? Granted Russia will have no D but they will score a ton of goals. US would probably finish 4th behind Canada, Russia and Sweden.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 28, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

So, the first thing the Russian Coach does is put Ovie, Fed & Sem together. Great line, eh? Everybody would love to see them, right? They would be unstoppable!!!
Hmmm...how come the Caps don't do that?

Posted by: SC caps fan | April 28, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey jmucapsgirl, aren't you supposed to be studying? Did procrastination crown a new queen?
I liked the story about Fed, Semin and Backstrom dressing like up like refs.
These damn Pens and Stars.

Posted by: oo7 | April 28, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@DevilsCapsGal - it just wouldnt be playoff hockey without him whining about something. I had heard the same thing, but had not heard a specific reason either. For game 1 he was saying that all the players were really looking forward to the whiteout. Guess now they blame the rangers good start on the shirt colour of their fans. LOL.

Posted by: Grape8 | April 28, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

oo7, I'll be done by this time tomorrow. I've only got one more exam that I can take anytime between now and 5pm Tuesday. And yes, I am the queen of procrastination, so it'll be done sometime between 10 and 3 tonight.
I would have paid to see them. The mental picture is funny enough, but man...

I'll concur on the Pens, but the Stars are doing exactly what we need them to do. Gotta give GMGM another draft pick to waste, right, Chief?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Ovie and Semin on one line would have allowed a top defensive pairing to negate our most dependable scorers in one go. If they're on two lines the opposition needs 4 top-notch defensemen.
. . . maybe

Posted by: honed | April 28, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Fleischmann showed some grit at the end of this season. He was sidelined during the playoff run because he was too small (per the commentators). Agreed, needs more confidence in his play. But, we saw Laich develop over the course of this season - you could have said the same (lacking confidence, not going for the puck) about Green and Laich in earlier times. Now they are two RFAs we want to keep.

Fleischmann played for Bruce in Hershey, so if anyone sees something in him, it's Bruce. And I trust Bruce's judgment.

Posted by: DCwho | April 28, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@ honed
So, a top defensive pairing would be better than our top offensive players, eh?
And...no confidence in our second or third lines either?

Posted by: SC caps fan | April 28, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Hiya all!

Any thoughts on Tim Thomas back stoppin' The US Team?

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | April 28, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I directly deal with athletes and disability insurance and trust me these policies might not seem all that complicated but they are manuscript policies (especially one like ovechkin will sign) because they must protect the player against anything. Someone mentioned Huet and insurance earlier, if he had a policy it was most likely just strictly total disability, nothing against his future earnings. In the case of an elite athlete, say Ovechkin, before the season began, you could have placed a future earnings type of policy on him, due to the single fact that he was due a huge pay increase. Meaning there was a difference between his current contract and his true market value. That is the number one thing you are trying to protect with any athlete.

Posted by: G-Rub | April 28, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Ovie and Semin on the same line has been used before when we're desperate for a goal. I dunno, the two on the same line is probably not inspiring to the goalie. The Russians don't seem to make defense a priority.

Posted by: tallbear | April 28, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@G-Rub:

I thought the insurance on Ovechkin was to protect the Caps in the event he was injured in the event he was **** (I can't even say or think or write the word) in the WC and couldn't play for the Caps who would be on the hook for his salary...

Somewhere I read that it was a contractual requirement that he obtain that insurance before playing in the WC or any other type of competition.

Am I wrong?

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 28, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Nylander said he would have played in a Round 2, so I'm not sure why he's not on Team Sweden. For what it's worth, I passed a message on to him to have his wife talk to Madame Huet about how awesome DC is.

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | April 28, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, the Flyers were getting all five guys back on D, and if they managed to disrupt/ shut down that first line, scoring would fall to Backstrom, Laich, and whoever would be their LW, and the grinder lines. I do have confidence in those guys, but they really have to be on their game and wear down the opposition to get their chances. When Backstrom dropped back to the 2nd line it gave the Caps two explosive lines and wore out Philly's D, because it seemed like they didn't trust their third pairing with as many minutes as the Caps could give Eminger/Erskine (that's just what I remember, would have to check it out).

Posted by: honed | April 28, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

or Olie not on the German roster?

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | April 28, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

jmu- I really want the Wings and Sharks in the conference finals. I think it would be a great series. I'm tired of the Stars. I've never swallowed their Cup win when Hull had his skate in the crease. Buffalo was robbed.

Posted by: oo7 | April 28, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

DevilsCapsGal:

I don't know the actual specifics but i think you and i are both correct. He can't play until inusrance is obtained by the russian hockey federation, which was probably written into his contract by the capitals. As is for any other international competition. If he broke that agreement and something happened the Caps would have to pay him $0. So in essence yes the Caps are trying to protect their investment. But at the same time, i have to believe Ovechkin is trying to protect his contract because should something happen to him and he could not play again, he would only be owed the guaranteed part of the deal from the Caps. It's a two way street. i haven't dealt much in hockey, only NFL and NBA, so circumstances are different. especially when you talk about international competition and such.

Posted by: G-Rub | April 28, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I see where you're going, and sorta agree...to a point. I don't know about wearing-out Philly's D, 'cause they're still playing and we're not.
I was just wondering about that "awesome" line, because if it's being considered for the Worlds, why not go with it here, specially at home, with the last line change and all. I still think those 3 guys would be better than 99% of the competition's top D pairings.

Posted by: SC caps fan | April 28, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

oo7, I can understand that. I would be pulling for the Sharks if they didn't originally have our draft pick. I have a hard time not cheering for them. Big Joe, Cheechoo, Marleau, all great guys. I like them better than Modano and Richards. I don't know. If this draft is as deep as they say it will be, maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe I'll root for the Sharks. I'm obviously also bad at making decisions.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, if my team was down late in the third, that's an awfully nice line to have handy. Can you imagine being a d-man seeing those three hit the ice? :-o

Posted by: honed | April 28, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Couple of things. How cool is it that Ovie, Ferorov, Semin, and Backstrom were all partying together? I think Fedorov joining the Caps organization was better than buying himself a little red sportscar. If they actually all train together in the offseason can you imagine how tight they will all be. We will have two lines of nightmares for other team's defenses.

Also, I wonder if Sid opted out of the white out because it was absolutely impossible to see. Anyone else have a hard time watching that game (aside from the fact that it was the Penguins)? I mean it had to also be hard for the players.

Tarik, I second the hope of another poster that now that you are back that we get a little more coverage in the paper (or here) about the other playoff series. I would love a little more insight as to things like the Ruutu stick in Rosival's face, Renny(sp) sort of calling out Sid for diving, what in the world is happening to Nabokov, the Kostopolos hit, etc.

Posted by: Kim | April 28, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

It would be like...Oh Lord, here they come!
Hopefully, we'll be able to see them during Worlds, but I doubt they'll TV it.
Can't wait to see if they keep Feds & Huet. Cooke would be nice too, but not as vital as those 2.
Maybe GMGM can put a package together for a Hatcher-type D-man, which we sorely need, and maybe...just maybe, Leonsis can loosen those purse-strings once more for a FA or two. Now, that, would be awesome.

Posted by: SC cap fan | April 28, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl

I'm cheering for the Sharks because I like their goalie Nabokov. I remember him when he first came to the US and the Sharks sent him to their farm team in Lexington, the Kentucky Thoroughblades. You could tell even then that he was going to be good. Hershey had some good battles against the Blades back then (like 9-10 years ago). Cute story...when he came to the US he didn't speak English so the T-blades hired a girl from the Univ of Kentucky Languages Dept to serve as his English tutor. Guess she taught him more than just English because they ended up getting married, and are still together as far as I know.

Posted by: tess | April 28, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@Scott in Shaw
My guess is the only reason that Nylander was going to come back was because it was the playoffs and if it had been the regular season he would have taken more time. So since this is something extra hes just going to take the time to make sure hes fully recovered.

Posted by: Luis | April 28, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik, Any word on whether the Caps are going to be able to sign Oskar Osala? I hear if he is not signed by June 1-he can become a free agent and does not have to go back in the draft. Is this true?

Posted by: John | April 28, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Does Ovie's insurance cover my season ticket package for next year if he goes down?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

tess,
He's my favorite of the Vezina three. I guess I'm switching my allegiance in the series. Its not too late for a Sharks comeback. That's a really cute story, too.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

For anybody who was interested, July 7-12 is development camp.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I think I need to hibernate until October.

Posted by: Steve R | April 28, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see the Sharks/Montreal play for the cup. I've always liked Wilson as coach, and I think he's getting a lot out of the guys in SJS. Would like to see him get some WINS now out of them, but they're a solid team.

Rangers shouldn't have this kind of trouble with Pens. I think the NYR's wake up in NYC and take this series over (PLEASE let it be so!).

Haven't seen a Philly/Habs game yet. Habs should do well in this series.

I really don't like Detroit ever since the OTL we had with them and a fan wrote into TSN and said "Ho Hum. Another win." I expect them to win, but I don't have to like it.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 28, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Someone wondered about Cooke being resigned. I liked his energy during the waning weeks of the season. He crashed the net and the corners. These are the things I like about Avery, too. They're not afraid to go into dangerous territory. That would give us Clark, Cooke and Laich as the grind guys. I really like that. Those 3 plus the whole 4th line should wear down the opposition quickly and open things up for AO, Semin, Feds (if he comes back), Green, et al.

The needs now are goalie and D-men (as they were at the beginning of last season). I'm guessing that we will not be active in the UFA/RFA market unless we learn that Huet wants to move somewhere else, and Pothier retires.

If this holds true, I would expect us to go deeper in the playoffs, but no cup. Defense STILL wins playoff games, and goalies STILL win cups.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 28, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S-resigning Cooke means we say goodbye to Bradley and if given a choice between the two i gotta take Bradley. Cooke has great energy, he's a terrific leader, and is good on the power play and I would love to have him back. My only problem is Bradley does all the things he does AND is willing to drop his gloves. Cooke isn't much of a fighter where as Bradley had ten this year, and he's been on the team so he's established more chemistry then Cooke. If you see a way to keep both and make room for the potentials of Fehr and Bourque by all means, but other wise i think we have to let Cooke go.

Posted by: DC FURY | April 28, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

@ Jschon

I'm fairly sure that Clark is American.

Posted by: NYC Caps Fan | April 28, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

@tess

You know so much, it's just unbelievable. About 9/11 flight that BB cancelled, Nabokov's story, wcsn link... Who are you? :-)

Posted by: King Huet | April 28, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

for a Hatcher-type D-man

Why do you need an old slow neanderthal?

Posted by: King Huet | April 28, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Alright, have to say since Hatcher came back from the injury he played really well... but he is still old and slow...

Posted by: King Huet | April 28, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Clark may be American, but is his groin?

Posted by: JSchon | April 28, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

A few answers:

I'm not sure how much, if any, of the playoffs I'm going to cover. We need to save our budget for the draft in Ottawa and for the awards ceremony in Toronto. (Both trips are very expensive.)

I suppose if the Finals feature a big market matchup, or some other juicy storyline, my editors may decide to dig deep. But that's not my call.

As for Nylander, I was told he may give his shoulder a try, but it doesn't look like he'll be competing in the WC.

As for Osala, I will have to check on his status.

I also exchanged text messages with Olie this weekend, and hopefully he'll give me a call when he returns from the west coast where he's following his junior team.

Posted by: Tarik | April 28, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

DC Fury

The numbers that Cooke and Bradley put up are pretty close, but look a little deeper.

Almost half of Cooke's scoring came in the 17 games he played with the Caps. He's a +5 with us overall. That bodes well to me.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 28, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Tarik

Yeah, they're expensive, but think of all the money WaPo is saving now by not publishing ANYTHING.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 28, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

So, I've been playing with lines for the last 10-15 minutes, and I can't really see how Cooke or Fedorov really make sense for next season. I really like Fedorov, but where does he fit? Would his 2-2.5 mil next season be better spent on another vet on the blueline, or perhaps not spent at all?

Assuming the Caps report to camp next season all healthy, and with the (my) expectation of resigning Laich (and Fehr), here's what I've got:

Ovechkin/Backstrom/Kozlov
Semin/Nylander/Clark
Flash/Laich/Fehr (I liked this line towards the end of the season -- especially as a 3rd line)
Brashear/Steckel/Bourque (or Laing, or Gordon, Bradley or Cooke if resigned)

Personally, if forced to choose 1, I'd prefer Bradley than Cooke for the 4th line.

If you add in Fedorov (who WOULD be huge on the PP), that sends Flash to the bench, which wouldn't be the worst thing. But financially, I don't know that it makes a great deal of sense.

I just wanted to kill some time, but considering the prospects that are coming through the system the forward ranks look pretty solid.

Posted by: Jeff (DC) | April 28, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Clark played for team USA last year during the Worlds in Moscow. So did Pothier.

As to the Semin-Ovie line. I am just hoping Semin will not be late for anything there... Last year Russian coach robbed us of the pleasure of watching them play together as part of team Russia when he did not let Semin on the team because Alexander was a couple hours late for some team gathering coming from different city. I think it cost us the title. :-))).

Posted by: bellka76 | April 28, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

How about a story on "How to keep your job by accident" ? Thanks to Bruce Boudreau.

Sure, GM will cut you off, does it really matter ? In the article you can use the Fact that GM has had more #1 picks since 2000 than any other team in the league, yet can't "manage" to show anything but post season losses (always round 1).

This team is on the verge of Blowing Up Again because there is NO #1 Goalie under contract, nor is there a Real Deal defense core worthy of a Post Season run.
Hatcher and Smitty may be old & slow, but they're still going and succeeding.

Posted by: Chief | April 28, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Tarik.

I understand about the money re: covering the playoffs. I had hoped that the hockey portion of the Sports Page would have gotten a little bump up after the spectacular run by the Caps, and that there would be more people interested in the sport beyond just the Caps. But that will come in time I am sure.

Also, thanks for the update on Olie. Hope he knows how much the fans are looking to hear how he is doing.

Can't wait to see the work from the awards ceremony. I think there will be lots of pictures of, and quotes from, a very special young man with many trophies. Hopefully some from an even younger man as well as a special coach with trophies also.

Posted by: Kim | April 28, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Do the Caps play this weekend? :-/

Posted by: Boo! | April 28, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

I know it is hard to watch the Pens and Rangers, but at least it does provide good material for drinking games. There are so many ways to handle this, depending on exactly how intoxicated one wishes to become.

Also, I have found it fun to laugh at whichever team messes up or gets scored on. He He Rangers blow. He He Crosby missed a shot. He He Ruutu to the box. He He Jagr is a girl. He He you call that a beard Crosby? See how it goes?

Posted by: Kim | April 28, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Is WCSN free? I'm getting you have to pay $4.95 for a month's pass. They did say the championship game would be free, though.

Posted by: Dakota | April 28, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Chief,

At the risk of offending some people I have to ask: did the Caps really have a #1 goalie under contract at the start of this past season? Sorry Olie fans, but he wasn't so good for the first half of the year.

Less offensive to ask: do you think real deal d-men grow on trees? Some good ones in the pipeline.

Posted by: Steve R | April 28, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

good news huet maybe sign before july, take a look he said he 's fine with the caps (and biron say to the quebec journalist the cround at verizon all in red was more impressive and loud ? than the bell center sorry for my bad english from france always with you caps fan . http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/250782.html

Posted by: stephane | April 28, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

tarik, in the article i'm sure you will write at chief's suggestion. be sure to include quotes from all the people who know about hockey who say the caps are "on the verge of blowing up again." i'm sure that wont be hard. and by all means, dont include any facts about the team being in rebuild mode since 2003. forget the southest division championship and the fact that we have a hart and calder finalist and perhaps and adams finalist. that wouldnt be useful.

oh, did you mention varhlamov is playing in that tournament in canada? what position does he play? who drafted him? and that green kid sucks so lets not talk about him or the alzner guy who just won some best player award in his league. this team is on the way down bigtime.

much like chief's postings, i'm sure you could take one fact, zero logic and an axe to grind and spin that into 10,000 words.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | April 28, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Stephane,

My French is more than a little rusty, but thanks for offering some positive Huet news.

Flyers up 3-0. Merde.

Posted by: Steve R | April 28, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Very rough translation to the above French Article about Huet.

This are not two past months in the American capital that will change Cristobal Huet. The former custodian of the Canadian, that is at the Quebec for the first time since that it was exchanged in February, presented itself in front of the journalists with the habitual calm that one knows for him.

"I passed some days to Montreal and the people met did me the good commentaries usually."

Huet was disappointed to leave Montreal but it recognizes now that this new departure to Washington was the better thing that could arrive for him. It appreciates to be able to exercise his trade in a certain anonymity and with a team of which the future is promising. "One had an end of unbelievable season with 16 victories to our 20 last games to deserve a mass place."

Huet says itself happy to see the city of Montreal to vibrate to the series rhythm. It believes that Carey Price is a custodian does on measures for the market montréalais since it is able to bear the pressure. "The Flyers are a formation that will create a lot of circulations in front of him but it does well."

The French custodian saw the two first games of the series between the Canadian and the Flyers. What does it think about the luck of his former team to attain the following turn? "Fairly, luck are rather good. The Canadian is a lot quicker than the Flyers."

The French porter so liked his stay to Washington that it does not separate the possibility to sign a new contract and this, even before the beginning of the period of the autonomous players, the first July. His agent even could undertake discussions with the Capitals as early as the end of the world-wide championship.

Posted by: JSchon | April 28, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

JSchon-that translation is hilarius...i'm wondering if you made it up, like one of your prayers/haiku! :)

Posted by: fullright | April 28, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Steve R,
A bad translation, but the important chunk:
The French goaltender liked his stay in Washington so much he does not push aside the possibility of signing a new contract and maybe even before the beginning of free agency, July 1st. His agent could even undertake discussions with Capitals as soon as the end of the world championships.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

...also liked "the habitual calm", as a goaltender you gotta love that. Mix Huet's demeanor with Nabakov's style, and you have the perfect goaltender. Anyway, I hope he re signs with the Caps.

Posted by: fullright | April 28, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Oops, I see JSchon beat me to it...

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

These are the cliffnotes to the rough translated French article about Huet.

The ultra relaxed Huet came back to Montreal for the first time since he was traded to Washington and talked to some reporters.

"I've been here a couple days and people have been nice to me, generally".

Huet was pissed he had to go to Washington, but that changed after being with the Capitals and witnessing a great young team with devoted fans while finishing the season winning 16 out of 20 games. "This trade was the best thing to happen to me, its nice to go to a team with a less pressure".

Its cool to see Montreal buzzing with the playoffs. Carey Price sucks. "The Flyers take liberties with goalies, I dont expect that to change".

Huet saw the first two games, and thinks the Habs need to be lucky and good. Carey Price sucks but the Habs are faster.

Huet loved his stint in Washington so much, he hasnt ruled out staying in Washington beyond this year. In fact, his agent could discuss a new contract prior to the July 1st free agency start date.

Posted by: JSchon | April 28, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

JSchon, haha. Tell us how you really feel about Price.

Montreal scored!!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Flippin' Flyers ... what is up with the Habs?!? They should be sweeping these guys! And Price got pulled?!? Well, who the heck does that leave in goal? (Do you think Huet is chuckling in the corner about this?)

Oh, and I take it that custodian = goalie? :-) (Stephane - thanks for the post!)

Posted by: Boo! | April 28, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

again! Go Habs!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

even hilariuser! i liked "habitual calm" better tho.

Posted by: fullright | April 28, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Flyers fans don't look too happy...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to use the word "porter" or "custodian" for the word goalie...

Posted by: JSchon | April 28, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

In this day and age,why can we not get a good ice surface? I think this should be one of our biggest off season task. We need to do what-ever needs to be done to get good ice surface for our good young fast team.We can put men on the moon,why can't we get good ice in D.C for hockey??

Posted by: ICE HELP | April 28, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Poetic and true ICE HELP

Posted by: JSchon | April 28, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

JSchon:
Good idea! :-) So instead of Olie the Goalie we will have ... hmm ... what rhymes with custodian?!?

Posted by: Boo! | April 28, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Gardien? How does that translate to custodian or porter? JSchon, what in the heck did you use to translate?

Custodian of the crease...porter of the puck...

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't Boomer's last name rhyme with custodian? Not sure the correct pronunciation. Boumodienne the Custodian. Too bad he's not a goalie.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Flyers pull their custodian for Nittymaki.

Posted by: JSchon | April 28, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

bloggers bakesale for better ice!...i'll bring the brownies!!!

Posted by: fullright | April 28, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

How many brownies would it take to upgrade the ice? How much would it cost in general to upgrade our surface?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

nice Jschon- I thought Huet was being rather rude till i got the joke. Price sucks. ha.

Posted by: oo7 | April 28, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see that they just did to Havlat? And yet Flyers are on a PP?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I hate the Flyers...

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

This offseason's UFA class is very deep on defence. Whether or not Pothier can return next season, there's a good number of guys out there that could help our blueline:

I can't remember who, but either McPhee or Leonsis indicated after Game 7 that payroll would likely increase next season.

With money going to a raise for Greenie, re-signing our RFAs and a goalie plus Fedorov potentially, there should hopefully be enough cash in the pot to land one tough son-of-a defenseman. Maybe Alzner or Godfrey are ready and suddenly the blueline looks a lot better.

Posted by: Dinger | April 28, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Flippin' Flyers ...

So, who will be the starting porter for the Habs in game 4?

Posted by: Boo! | April 28, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

@Dakota
I thought the WCSN.com games were free because I watched a couple minutes of cycling for free over the weekend, but I see what you mean about the section that says subscribe for a monthly pass for $4.95. Still that seems cheap to me because the IIHF.com site is charging a fee PER GAME to view on their stream. Someone on here said they watch gymnastics on WCSN.com and the quality is ok. What I saw of the cycling seemed ok, not great, but ok. I'll probably subscribe. If the coverage sucks, well, it won't be the first time I blew $5 on something.

Posted by: tess | April 28, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

WE need to make sure the home "ice" advantage is home "ice " advantage. The flyers said in interviews after the game that the ice conditions "helped" them. We have a fast skating team, and the ice surface didn't help us take advantage of tha at all. Another factor, Clarkeies groin might have been because of the poor ice. The worst thing that could happen is players not wanting to play here because of the slush we play on.

Posted by: ICE HELP | April 28, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I personally would love to see Fedorov back. He wins key faceoffs, is an amazing passer, stunning leader, surprisingly good slap shot, and has noticeably good chemistry with Semin Kozlov and Ovechkin. He's also great on both the Power Play and the Penalty Kill and players who can do both, especially at that level, are very hard to find. But what i really like about Fedorov is incase Pothier is in some trouble with this concussion he would provide great depth on defense. Let's not forget that when he was back with the Red Wings and was temporarily moved to D his coach said that had he been able to leave him back there he would have won a Norris Trophy. But as always only if the price is right. (a 2.5-3 incentive laden contract would be sweet)

Posted by: DC FURY | April 28, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

DC FURY:
I think Fed will be back. He added a lot with his own play, AND elevated the play of those around him (I think he had a lot to do with Semin's success late in the season / in the playoffs, not to mention Ovie's improvement in the playoffs). Plus he seemed to REALLY like it here (even the day after game 7, he was wearing a Caps hat - no one else was). I think they will make room for him, and I think he will welcome the opportunity to stay.

Posted by: Boo! | April 28, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

DC Fury & Boo!,
I hope he's back too! I really wish we could keep the guys we signed at the deadline plus the guys we already have. Can we keep them all? Please? I realize that's not possible, but it would be great...

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Nice read on Olie and his Tri-Cities team: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/1012/story/168556.html
Some interesting parallels between the Americans and the Caps :p

Posted by: honed | April 28, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Boo, DC FURY: I'm really hoping Fedorov returns. He is a great asset whether on the ice or in the locker room.

Posted by: uncatim | April 28, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I really hope Bettman is happy with the way the Flyers are playing. Absolute thuggery. He could have stopped it last round. Now we could have two of the best teams in the league out of the playoffs. Nice way to sell the league idiot.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 28, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

JMU/Tim:
So you want Fed to return ... do you think he will? (JMU - I want them all back, too!)

CT:
What did the Flyers do? I only watched about 10 minutes of the game ...

Posted by: Boo! | April 28, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

@tess
Thanks! I personally think it's worth it also, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't pay for something I didn't have to. :P

Posted by: Dakota | April 28, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Boo: To use the cliche, I am cautiously optimistic. I think he likes playing with the Caps. Maybe he will play for what we can pay because he has already made boatloads of cash. On the other hand he knows he has limited time (on ice) to make more boatloads. The Caps are going to win the Cup, maybe while Sergei is still playing. I bet he would like to win another.

Posted by: uncatim | April 28, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Boo!, Yes I do want him back and yes I think he'll come back, as long as he doesn't retire, which I don't think he should.

As far as the Flyers game, one of the Flyers skated by Havlat(?) (Price's backup), and jabbed the knob end of his stick into his mask and pulled as he skated by, forcing his head to snap around. I didn't describe that very well, but I was p.o.ed for the goalie. They're just being goons. I think they've stepped up their goonery since they played us.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo!

Attacking and tripping the goalie behind the net. Hatcher cross checked a Hab into the board and bloodied him up. He got a 5 minute and kicked out, but they are just getting dirty with the Habs. From what I have seen, worse than in our series.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 28, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

The Habs look like they have Sens disease, they don't hit back.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 29, 2008 6:02 AM | Report abuse

So, the good news is that "everyone" thinks Fed is coming back (yeah!), the bad news is that the Flyers are up to their old tricks again (probably a good thing that I did not watch most of the game - it would have ticked me off). Well, after losing last night despite the fact that they out shot them (what was it - 34 to 14?) AND despite a valiant rally back at the end, maybe the Habs will be just mad enough to push back next time. They should be winning this series ... that alone should be enough to motivate them. I just wonder which custodian will get the start ...

Posted by: Boo! | April 29, 2008 7:42 AM | Report abuse

It was hard to watch the game last night. I am really not a fan of the Flyers. However, anyone else think that they probably have the best chance of beating the Pens? I mean the Rangers are playing with their collective high priced heads up their rear ends. Montreal looks shaky to me. The only wild card I see here is that I am not sure the physical level of play will be allowed to continue if the Flyers and Pens play each other. Something tells me the refs will all of the sudden find their whistles. But having to play an energized Flyers team with the momentum of wins in two big series may be the karma for the Pens we have been waiting for.

The whole refs finding whistles thing is another reason why I am rooting for Detroit. Just seems like a Wings/Pens finals would be the fairest matchup.

Posted by: Kim | April 29, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

@Kim

I agree. About the Flyers... it pains to say but... they're not all about hitting hard, they can shut you down pretty well and can skate very fast on offense. The Habs yesterday got two goals only during a 5 mins penalty - and the first goal was a lucky bounce. We should learn from them how to drive to the net (minus the dirty moves though) - we kind of did, but too late in the series and not as good as them anyway. They protects their goalie like crazy and chased out the most promising goalie of the league. I bet the Habs are regretting letting Huet go - Price might be a bit too young for these battles.

In summary, give them credits, their team is growing and *gasps* almost fun to watch. You could tell they learned a lot from us: they're playing close to a full 60 now, and don't collapse.

I still don't like them, and I have curious bowls movements when I think that a "strange" reffing might have costed us the series but... I'm also a hockey fan and recognize they're playing good hockey.

Posted by: mauree | April 29, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

My thinking on Federov coming back - I think the guy's made his money and will decide on other points, assuming a 'resonable' offer. Since we've tried him out and know he's a great fit and any other team would face uncertainty in that (as with any addition) he's worth more to us than anybody else. Second, from his point of view he doesn't have time to join a rebuild. This guy wants to play for all the marbles and a team that is nearing a peak like the Caps is the only scenario he'd likely consider. Finally, there is plenty of room under the cap at the moment.

Bottom line is he's likely only considering here or retirement and he's gotta think it would just suck to be watching the Caps in the playoffs next year and not being there.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | April 29, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

@Kim - I think you are right about the Flyers having a good shot to take down the pens. They ususally play them pretty tough even when they are not playing their best hockey. Now that they seem to have found their game, add their intense hatred of the pens, and i think they may just be able to do it. I am not a fan of either team, but I would much rather the orange go to the cup than pens.

Posted by: Grape8 | April 29, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Look, Fed's, give us a discount, we like you, you like it here... We've rejuvenated you, you got OV, Kozy and Sasha.

Here it is, 2 yrs $5M and all the knit caps you want.

Posted by: JSchon | April 29, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Had a break for the board for a few days (actually I was away with Tarik - don't tell anyone!) but I'm back now.

Previously the World's have been shown over here on a Channel called Eurosport. Not sure if they have plans to show games this time round but as they are more than likely to be shown on a North American timing, I may not see as much as I wanted anyway.

Looking through the rosters I have a few observations.

Huet is listed third out of the three French goalies. Its not alphabetical so he is really third choice?

My favourite coach ever, Kurt Kleinendorst, who lead my team (Manchester Storm) to two trophies, is an Assistant Coach for Team USA. Good lad Kurt!

Is Fedor Fedorov Sergei's younger brother? Maybe he would be a cheaper alternative to Sergei and would mean all those Caps fans who bought Fedorov jerseys will be able to carry on wearing them next season!

I hope I do get to see some of Russia's games, not only for Ovie, Sasha and Fed but too see how Varlamov plays.

Finally, best name ever, custodian for Italy - Gunther Hell!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 29, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Any chance of letting us know what goes on between now and the beginning of training camp? Who is doing what, who is talking to whom about contracts, etc.

Very interested in the operations of the organization.

Also, with so much talk about the ice at VC, are there any solutions? Is it a facilities issue that can be improved upon? Is Ted and the organization in a position to do anything about it? What gives? Understand that it is a multi-use facility but don't understand why all anyone seems to be able to do is gripe about it. Any feasibile solutions?

Posted by: Ole Miss | April 29, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Dave,
Its possible that Huet was added last because France wasn't sure how far the Caps would be in the playoffs. If you look at Russia, our guys are down close to the bottom with Radulov (from Nashville).
Fedor is (I think) 10 years younger than Sergei. He used to play NHL, but now he plays in the Russian Superleague, where I think they've got him locked in for a while, contractually speaking.
You join us all in our hope to see our Russians. Hopefully, if we don't get to see him play worlds, Varlamov will be over for development camp or another camp and we can see him then.
That is a pretty sweet name. He's probably got some cool nicknames, too.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 29, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

OleMiss, IIRC it's been said that the simple solution to the ice problem is to "turn on the AC". Usually that removes humidity as well as keeping the arena colder. I think Paul Kelly (new NHLPA head) was surprised when he came to see the Caps and didn't need his jacket. Unfortunately, Ted doesn't seem to have operational control of the Phonebooth (also why the Caps don't sell ticket packages for the 200 level).

Posted by: tallbear | April 29, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Haven't read all the comments in this thread, so I apolgize if this has already been mentioned, but Corey over at the times blog has a pretty good summary of our players RFA UFA etc for next year and a league wide report on the goalie situation, very good work.

Posted by: billd | April 29, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

To keep some interest here why dont a select few of us play fantasy hockey, World Championship style...

6 to 8 participants...

1 Custodian
3 Défenseurs
5 Avants

Custodians receive points for
SV / SO / W

Défenseurs receive points for
+/- / A / G / PPG / SHG

Avants
+/- / A / G / PPG / SHG

Who is in? I will keep track of the scoring.

Posted by: JSchon | April 29, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Stephane, thank you for the article! I skipped all the ncie translations posted here so I can work on it during lunch (I am studying for my French exams for my degree). Won't my professor be surprised when I hand this one in :)

On a sadder note, the idea that the Eastern Conference final is going to be a battle of Pennsylvania makes me want to curl up in the fetal position under my desk. UGH!

Posted by: Birdie | April 29, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

JSchon, I might be. Let me know if you're still looking for more people later.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 29, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

So far... we have JSchon, thats me...

and jmu_capsgirl, as a check with me later...

Posted by: JSchon | April 29, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

question. If Feds does come back, what do the Caps do. Backstrom seems to be cemented as first line center, Nylander I'd imagine would be 2nd line, and Feds would be 3rd line maybe due to his defensive abilities. I'd imagine they have to keep Stecks around, he was pretty impressive for a rookie, an old rookie, but still a rookie. By the way, how do the Kings such an awful organization just let a former first rounder like that walk. But anyways, I digress. Does that mean that Gordon becomes the new Sutherby, the first round center that just didn't quite make it? Gordo is tough and adds penalty killing ability, but I'd rather have Stecks. I'd guess Bourque at least starts with Hershey next year anyways. Thoughts?

Posted by: reekie | April 29, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Hey JShon, I'd be in.
And I agree with everyone who said they'd rather see the Flyers advance over the Pens. Lesser of two evils . . .

Posted by: honed | April 29, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys...let's not get ahead of ourselves. Remember, the Caps and the Flyers are BY FAR the worst 2 teams that made the playoffs. I mean, if they played any other team they'd get crushed.

Hrm...wait...Chief may have been wrong about that comment? No way...I simply don't believe it!

Posted by: Jeff (DC) | April 29, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Alright thats 3 for sure... jmu, you're in...

The great thing about Feds is that he can play C, either wing and D. He would probably C the 3rd line. We have enough talent to have 3 legit lines that can score.

Posted by: JSchon | April 29, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Birdie | April 29, 2008 10:38 AM
---------
Birdie:
Try living in PA and having to put up with all the crap. For years I've despised the Flyers and had no opinion at all of the Pens. Then I started working with some Pens fans and got so sick of hearing about Sid and Geno I could just puke. I can't believe I'm writing this, but I think if I had to pick sides I might actually go for the Flyers. Ack! I can't stand it!

Posted by: tess | April 29, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I'll play fantasy hockey. When are we gonna pick teams?

Posted by: Jordan | April 29, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Welcome Jordan... I figure once we get 8 participants, we can decide when the draft will be...

you make 4

Posted by: JSchon | April 29, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Sweet, I'll start scouting my boys.

Posted by: Jordan | April 29, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

BOO!?
scofield?
Yosh?
greenie?

Dont be scared...

Posted by: JSchon | April 29, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I have pics of the guys from the party but I can't paste them on here...any suggestions?

Posted by: CapsSighting | April 29, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

JSchon- I'd like to get in on the fantasy... oh yeah, that was sexy.

Posted by: oo7 | April 29, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Alright...
oo7, you're in...

thats 5...

Sombrero Guy?
wendel/Chief?
fullright?
I know I'm forgetting a ton of people...

Posted by: JSchon | April 29, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Tarik...

Come on... you know you want to be team 6. Team TEB has a certain ring to it.

Posted by: JSchon | April 29, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Ouch...you offer a spot to wendel/Chief and skip me.

Posted by: Jeff (DC) | April 29, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Jeff DC... you're in... I really wasnt going to give wendel/Chief a spot.

Team Jeff (DC)?

Posted by: JSchon | April 29, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@CapsSighting- photobucket? i'm pretty sure it's free

Posted by: honed | April 29, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Sure, why not...

I must say, Team Jeff (DC) sure does roll right off the tongue.

Posted by: Jeff (DC) | April 29, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Alright... that makes 6 participants...

we need 2 more, and we are closed.

Simples Rules:
1. No touching of the hair or face (Anchorman reference)
2. 2G, 4D, 6F, 1 National Team
3. Its a cumulative score, from game 1 to the finale.
4. Serpentine draft. Draft order will be determined by the Accounting Firm of Funk & Wagnalls

Posted by: JSchon | April 29, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsSighting | April 29, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posting the link of pics from Friday night...I hope it works!

Posted by: CapsSighting | April 29, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Caps Sighting, it did work. thanks!

tess, i'm so sorry you're in hell! But take solace-those teams are not built for long term dominance liek the caps! Consecutive Cups, here we come!

Posted by: Birdie | April 29, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm in

Posted by: Steve R | April 29, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Tarik....when do you think we will find out my Eminger was not playing all season. He sure proved he can play.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 29, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

The picture. Who is on Semin?

Posted by: Wow! | April 30, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Just looked in at the World Championships Website and noted in the pic of Huet that he's been able to use the same pads with all three teams this year - Canadeans, Caps and France - since all three have Red, White, and Blue for team colors. Hopefully he'll give the Caps a break in the salary negotiations since we seem to have the right team colors for him now that we ditched the black and gold uniforms. LETS GO CAPS!!!!!

Posted by: Mark aka Usually Frustrated Caps Fan | May 4, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse