Side Note on Brashear

First of all, if you haven't gotten a chance to read Mike Wise's front-page story on Donald Brashear, I'd recommend doing so.

Second, there have been some concerns in the blog and article comments that the story was published without Brashear's knowledge or approval. That's not the case.

In fact, Brashear is touched by the support he's received since the story ran today and told Mike that readers who wish to contact him can find him on Facebook (not sure which page is actually his but will check with the Caps), follow him on Twitter or go through his Web site.

[Edit: And for more on the softer side of Donald Brashear, check out this undeniably adorable video of him interacting with some kids at Caps practice yesterday.]

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 2, 2009; 10:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: From Russia, With Busted Glove
Next: Photo: 'The Save'

Comments

ya that is cool. pretty brave to let his business be out there in the open. it's not the traditional hockey story.

Posted by: am_jim | May 2, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

so glad to hear he was ok with the article before it went out.

Posted by: kyl1 | May 2, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I work in the journalism biz.

Throughout my career I've never applied for any awards because I don't like the process by which they're chosen, and also I don't think the audience cares about them.

Then again, none of my stuff is as good as the article about Brashear.

Wise deserves some kind of recognition, because that is first-rate stuff.

Oneal

Posted by: TheRealOneal | May 2, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Well done, Mike. You may have a calling. Wait...

As for Brash, only 4 more to go!

Posted by: oo7 | May 2, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

I predict that
* flash with be the bradley of this series
* theo will need to come in for at least a portion of a period
* semin will again have the most goals for the caps in this series
* varly will get one shutout
* PP will click around 25%
* there will be no games where three differnt D men score in the same game - but at least two games where two D men will score
* many posters here will wonder what is wrong with Ovi
* Ovi will get a hat trick
* backstrom will score an Ovi like highlight goal

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 2, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

based on the game winning goal by flash - i'm going to check off the first item as correct

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 2, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Captain Kirk, you ba$^&rd!
I though of you when Flash scored.
You far from Vegas? Start driving, buddy!

Posted by: oo7 | May 2, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

5-2? Luongo catch swine flu or something? I just turned it on...

Posted by: oo7 | May 2, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

uh, insert the word 'lucky' please. oops.

Posted by: oo7 | May 2, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

oo7:
5 1/2 hours away - the place sucks - nothing to do there - the wife won't let me go to the gentleman's clubs

there are still 8 predictions to go - i'd gladly forgo getting any more correct if the series would just end on friday

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 2, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Enjoyed Flash's goal. You have some pretty good predictions on Caps heroes for this series. Next question: are you picking the Caps to win?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 2, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

While Semin didn't get any goals this game, he got assists. (He's been relatively ignored in the "Three Stars of the Game" post game picks.) Okay, he quietly keeps accumulating good statistics.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 2, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I really wasnt expecting Chicago to light Vancouver up like this. Pretty wild.

I cant wait for monday; i'm also glad there are no more day games in this series. I still dont like the back to backs. Not fair at all in the playoffs, especially when this is the only series to have to do so.

Posted by: oo7 | May 2, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

agreed, 75, Semin can keep racking them up 'quietly'. He's had a solid playoffs so far, no? He actually WANTS to play the Pens.

Posted by: oo7 | May 2, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

That was definitely an emotional story. Well done, Mike.

Got home from DC not too long ago. Couple of random observations: My throat hurts from yelling. I'm quickly running out of reasons to not like Erskine. Hal Gill is huge. Matt Bradley is still my favorite Cap. The Metro people are stupid. And I'm never sitting that low again. I prize the ability to see the whole ice more than the ability to see snot fly out of a guy's nose when he gets hit in the corner. That game was well worth the drive and the ticket cost. Bummed I've got to miss 2 & 3 for exams, but hoping I don't have to watch a 5. Let's go Caps!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 2, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75:
isn't that lame of me :)
at the time - in my mind - the caps winning the series wasn't in question - i was to afraid to try and pick how many games it would take. even after today - i still don't have a clue - 6 maybe?

it was good to see that varly's soft goal had no negative effect on him. he continued to play as if it never happened. i was one of the few that thought theo should have started game two in round one - glad i didn't predict or 'mark my words' on that one :)
poor play for 10 to 15 minutes of the first and still came out with a win - i was not sure they could get away without playing a full 60 and still beat the pens. i think varly stole this game with his save on crosby (usually i referred to him as crysby) - but he was their best player on the ice today.

how about semin potting 2 and varly with the SO on monday? maybe backs can get his 'highlight' goal then too!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 2, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I just wish Mike Wise received a 6-game suspension. Please, no more poorly thought out and poorly written articles. And no more videos PLEASE!! You're a newspaper for crying out loud. No more video.

Posted by: schrute | May 2, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

schrute- actually, you're on a website. I miss the videos now.

Kirk, 75, I'm staying with a safe 'caps in 7'. But I think it might be 5. I'm gleefully optimistic in the face of adversity.

I'll take a Varly SO any night. I'm not picky : )

Chicago puts it away. 1-1 heading back to Chicago. THey've scored more against Luongo than I thought they would in 4 games. wow.

Posted by: oo7 | May 2, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Great article. Great game. Great day.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | May 2, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

oo7
uh, insert the word 'lucky' please. oops.

you're so right - i couldn't help but pat myself on the back. probably shouldn't have reposted them though - i know i'll get trashed for every one i get wrong.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 2, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Kirk, nah, i meant insert 'lucky' before ba$^&rd!
You keep calling them, I'll keep living the dream : )

jmu, those exams are all at night? bummer. dvr, my dear.

Posted by: oo7 | May 2, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

new post to move too...

Posted by: oo7 | May 2, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl

Glad you saw today's game, even if you weren't happy with the corner of the lower section. Too bad, you'll miss the next two games because of exams.

Today, on Metro, I actually talked to a young fellow who had graduated from JMU a couple of years ago. He didn't go to the game but hung out at the Green Turtle, a nearby eatery, to watch the game and was happy to the results. (He's actually hanging out with a female Pens fan tonight -- they plan to avoid the subject of hockey.)

Metro was certainly screwed up today. Long wait for train from Metro Center. (I noticed some Caps fans must have walked from the game to the Smithsonian and got on the Orange line before Metro Center since I saw tons of Caps jerseys already on the train.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 3, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

while i think it was pretty brave of brash to air that stuff out in public, i thought the story was poorly written. wise jumps back and forth between the past and present tense in a way that is gimmicky. using one tense and developing proper transitions would be more impressive.

Posted by: am_jim | May 3, 2009 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Metro issues were interesting. I often walk down 12th St. to Fed Triangle and get on there. It was so crowded today that I got on the Orange Line the opposite direction and headed to L'Enfant and got on there to go back to NoVa. The problem is the normal weekend schedule combined with a Nats game - they all rode in with me in the morning, or I with them - and the games ran a similar length. And there was a run of some sort (Urban Run) in D.C. and it's tourist season. Weekend day games will be like that. Managed to make it home and the win made the crowds easier to bear.

Posted by: saintex | May 3, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

What has impressed me about Brashear is his work ethic and dedication to contributing to the team's success beyond his enforcer role. Whenever we watch practice at KCI, it seems that Brashear is the last player on the ice, always working on some aspect of his game.

My Brashear moment from this season came back in November. Younger son and I walked across to the Caps rink after Saturday morning skating lesson to watch practice. The regulars had left the ice, but the injured players remained out, as did Brashear. He stood along the right boards at the hash marks and made what seemed like 50 passes to a rehabbing defenseman at the blue line, getting that pass down pat.

Two days later, I'm at a game against Tampa Bay with my older son. Brashear works along the boards, battles and wins the puck, and makes that exact same pass he'd practiced 50 times to an open defenseman (Green?) at the blue line, who blasts the puck past Kolzig. I'd seen the work that Brashear had put into getting that play down, and it paid off. One small assist early in the year, but indicative of how Brashear has put in the extra effort to make himself into a contributor to this team beyond the toughness we always read about.

Excellent reporting by Wise. In an age of soundbites and newsroom cutbacks, it's good to see someone willing to put in the legwork to get the story and editors willing to give him that opportunity.

Posted by: BigTimeBarons | May 3, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I read they story on Donald Brashear it brought tear to my eyes. The video with him playing with kids is cute. I feel like I understand him little bet better now.

Posted by: Debbie7 | May 4, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Great article - great person.
Lets hope he heals soon.
The hit was legal on Betts.
Why the Detroit wasn't suspendable shows me what a joke NHL law is.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 4, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse