Sloan Not Warming Up

Defenseman Tyler Sloan (bruised foot) doesn't appear to be on the ice for pregame warm-ups, so that likely means Sean Collins will make his NHL debut tonight in Toronto. Collins was called up from Hershey earlier today.

Tonight's lineup:

Forwards
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Nylander
Fleischmann-Aucoin-Kozlov
Laich-Gordon-Fehr
Brashear-Steckel-Bradley

Defense
Alzner-Jurcina
Morrisonn-Collins
Lepisto-Helmer

Goal
Johnson

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 6, 2008; 6:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sloan Questionable Tonight
Next: Fehr Day-To-Day (Updated)

Comments

Repost from previous thread...

Game is scheduled for 7PM on CSN-HD, although the telecast is not scheduled to be HD this evening. Hopefully we get widescreen at least, but maybe we'll get an HD surprise (doubtful).

I'm kinda hoping these college football games are "over" by then... but I'm switching to the Caps at 7 no matter what! :)

And I think my back injury is finally over with, after missing Friday vs Montreal, limping through Tuesday vs Florida, and then missing Thursday vs NYI. Woo!

Any votes on beer of choice for the drop of the puck? The options are Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome, Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Ale 2008, Troegs' Mad Elf, Dogfish Head's 90 Minute Imperial Pale Ale, Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout, and Yuengling's Lager. (In case anyone was curious, yesterday was the 75th anniversary of the repeal of Prohibition... there's no finer time to keep a well-stocked fridge!)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

In Canada, game is available on CBC's Hockey Night in Canada (HNIC). In the US of A, outside of CSN territory, game is available on NHL Network (simulcast of HNIC). Inside CSN territory, game is on CSN of course.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

GregA, I'm real partial to the Dogfish & the Brooklyn stout on that list. For me tonight it's either the Brooklyn or TenFidy stout from the Oskar Blues brewing co.

These injuries are getting real old.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 6, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

The Sierra Bigfoot Ale is my vote. I had it at a bar the other night...great stuff. Never tried the Winter Welcome or the Mad Elf. I envy your beer selection this evening.

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 6, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I'll vote Mad Elf, just for the name :)

Posted by: honed | December 6, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Hello boys and girls, it's Boo! I have been out of town and my login was conveniently reset, so now I am HeyBooBoo (for the time being, anyway ;-)). So ... what did I miss?!? :-)

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 6, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Greg- as someone employed in the wholesale/importing adult beverage industry, allow me to add my suggestion if you please:
Start off with the yuengling. Lighter than the others so they will go down a little easier, I would follow with either the sam or the dogfish and then onto the stout for dessert as we celebrate a road win!! If done properly, you wont remember if we don't win. But that's not gonna happen.

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 6, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

ThisGuy, I got turned on to the Winter Welcome when a store near my university accidentally added an extra 0 to the end of the quantity when they placed their annual order. They had an awful lot of it to get rid of, so I wound up with a case at a killer price.

Anyway, regarding the selection, I figure if you're gonna do something, do it right. It's not cheap, but sometimes you just gotta indulge yourself, you know? :) Plus there's nothing like a nice beer that warms you up inside on a cold snowy night, paired with Caps hockey.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

BOO!! we were just helping Greg. Under doctors orders still, I will be going with the yummy apple juice tonight. Was drinking it Thursday so its a good luck thing.

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 6, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

lamplighter, I was giving serious consideration to doing just that -- starting with Yuengling and moving onto something a little more substantial. I mean, I drink Yuengling at VC and it seems to be good luck beer for the Caps, as far as I'm concerned...

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

lamplighter1:
You're such a good boy. I actually had a couple of drinks tonight - not like me, but hey, it's vacation. So Greg and Steve are off the hook - they don't have to have one for me this time!! ;-)

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 6, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Unleash the upconverted SD!

Posted by: Section117 | December 6, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

you cant mess with tradition. plus if things dont start out right, it's a heck of a lot easier to slam back the yuengling than the others. It has, what we like to call in the bussiness, "a high 'pounding' quotient".

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 6, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

well, I learned last night that you can actually go out with friends and not drink. You will have to drive home though. The amazing thing is the $$$ saved and the weight lost. Who knew??

Fancy doctors!

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 6, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

folks, sami lepisto is looking down at half our defense wondering who these guys are...if it wasn't so sad i'd laugh.

unleash the "hello my name is" nametags...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 6, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what the over/under was on this game. Like 10? Should be fun to watch. I always liked Ron too.

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 6, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

unleash the "hello my name is" nametags...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 6, 2008 7:08 PM
-------------------------------------------
Anything that gives me an excuse to do this...

Posted by: Section117 | December 6, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

As Section117 pointed out, the game is in fact upconverted widescreen on the HD channel. Sucks that it's not HD, but it beats 4:3 SD.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

So has no one come back? And they keep losing more? Pretty soon they will be calling us up!!

-Boo!

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 6, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Flyers are up 1-0 with an early lead against the hated Hurricanes.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Dish Network (D.C. area) is carrying the game in HD on the NHL Network channel.

Posted by: rw-c | December 6, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm not watching the game - how are they looking? And anyone see Sombrero yet? ;-)

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 6, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

hey caps fans, mark my word Nylander & another player for Khabibulin

Posted by: redneck3 | December 6, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Gosh ... everyone is so quiet. Looks like we are doing OK on SOG and staying out of the box, but that's about all I can tell (I am looking at the game summary). Anyone have a streaming link to the game?
-Boo!

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 6, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Oops! I spoke too soon ...

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 6, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Helmer,Collins,Lepisto, LETS GO D

Posted by: redneck3 | December 6, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Boo, you don't have NHL Network or CBC? :\

How fast is your connection?

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Greg:
No - I am out of town ... :-( But I just was finally able to get the radio link online!! :-)

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 6, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Greg:
I don't know how fast the connection is - I'm not on my computer. How do they look?

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 6, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

OLD YELLAR BEHIND THE BENCH

Posted by: redneck3 | December 6, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Boo, earlier this afternoon there was a stray cat in my neighborhood... but every time it opened its mouth, instead of meowing, "http://www.atdhe.net/live-tv-1176.html" came out instead. Weird, huh? I have the strangest animals around my house, I swear...

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Greg:
Huh, that is unusual ... was it mauree's cat?!? ;-) Thanks - you're a peach (how often do you see THAT on a hockey blog?!?)!

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 6, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

CSN is doing a feature on HNIC throughout history.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Most valuable Cap 1st Period:

Bruce Boudreau.

The Caps have the "System" so well in place that Sean Collins or even Joan Collins can just slide right in.

Was that one of those double entrendra(sp?) things? BTW, most of you don't know who Joan Collins is. She's probably old enough to be Sean's grandma. Anyway, nice pieve on HNIC anout Boudreau, John Anderson and Ron Wilson and how they all played for the Leafs in the late 70s.

To paraphrase John Lennon, if you remember the late 70s, you weren't really there.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey idiot, that's Ron Wilson's nickname

Posted by: redneck3 | December 6, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Great sign: Caps are playing great defense tonight so far.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 6, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, I can't get the video so I give. Greg - thanks for trying! Good night all and GO CAPS!!!

-Boo!

Posted by: HeyBooBoo | December 6, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

well, I thought the guys looked good to start. energy level seems good and they are playing more physical in their own end. some of those passes that backstrom was making were silly. silly good! leafs goalie super sharp, but that can turn around. just hope they come out with the same intensity for the second. given the way they both have played though, i'm surprised that it's scoreless.

has there been a sombrero sighting yet?

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 6, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

OK, that KHL All-Star Game comment was pretty funny.

Posted by: Section117 | December 6, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Boo, good thing that cat was chasing a squirrel that was saying "sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/66050" but the cat was saying something about needing some software installed? It's all pretty creepy no matter how you slice it.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I offered last summer and I will offer again. Caps play at Tampa Feb 14th (OK, it's Valentine's day, the wife can deal with it) at 7:30 and at Florida Sunday Feb 15th at 5:00 pm. Anyone interested, I am making a road trip, my daughter and I. We have only one extra bedroom. Anyone interested could fly down Saturday morning and then I could pick up at the airport. Drive over to Tampa. Check into a hotel for sat night. Go to game. Go to bar afterward. Walk to hotel. Drive the next day to Sunrise, about 3 hrs, easily enough time for 5 pm game. Drive 3.5 hrs to Orlando after game. As I said, one extra bedroom, plus there's a sofa. We can arrange drive to airport for Monday morning. I don't know ticket situation in Tampa, but Panthers always have empty seats.

More later - game time!

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Well I missed it, but sweet. :) Alzner's first?

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHA Karl looked so suprised that he scored!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | December 6, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Must be so surreal, I'm so happy for him! Let's see if we can get him some more!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Ian White is going to be the first guy to be traded by Burke. The guy is way too small to be a D in the NHL they at least can hide him on the forward line.

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | December 6, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

This might be a stupid question but what exactly is a "10 bell save??"

Posted by: rachel216 | December 6, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

rachel: I guess it's kinda like a five-alarm fire? ;)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

BROOKSY!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

kicked in

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | December 6, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE COUNT!

Posted by: rachel216 | December 6, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was off the foot but not a kick.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

the right call

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | December 6, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

That's RETARDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | December 6, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

nope he kicked it

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | December 6, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Poor Eric Fehr :`( this is making me cry :(

Posted by: rachel216 | December 6, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

rachel- looked at wikipedia under "hockey slang" and then didn't have it listed. don't know.

Oh boy.. thats not good huh?

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 6, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Fehr looked pretty damned uncomfortable on the bench. :( I hope he's okay, not just for the team, but for Fehr.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Boo, haven't heard much from you recently... you still with us? :-P

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

man, that replay didn't look too good. say a little prayer guys. it is getting really unbelievable though.

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 6, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, GregAnnapolis and lamplighter1. I was just wondering cause Joe B. has been using that term a lot lately.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 6, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Reading his lips on the bench, it looked like he said, "it popped out."

God, man. Praying for you, Fehr.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | December 6, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Daughter says she could see Fehr say, "Broken." Almost a guarantee Osala gets called to take his spot.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Fehr is too good looking to have this happen to him.

Posted by: a3val | December 6, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

A few for guys are needed to make on Washington Hospital Center Hockey Team...

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | December 6, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

Posted by: Section117 | December 6, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

A few more guys are needed to make a Washington Hospital Center Hockey team ....is what i was trying to say

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | December 6, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Someone please explain to me how the last ovie quasi-breakaway wasn't a penalty? I saw a hook, a trip, and another hook in that one sequence. WTF?

Any work on Fehr?

Posted by: patrone | December 6, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Still 1-0. A long-term Fehr injury means Osala must come up and do the same job, and from what he has done at Hershey - he can do that. This is not like losing Green, Federov or Semin, who aren't really replaceable except with lesser skill (they are all unique). Osala at this point within the system should be "Fehr Jr," whereas Fehr himself is kind of "Laich Jr." Pretty soon, and Ben Boudreau will be suiting up for the Caps.

BTW, no cap concern, Semin can be made LTIR any day (he has missed 10 and 24) so that gives the club $4.6M to play with.

That said, it's impossible to feel anything but sympathy for Fehr who was really bringing it. On the other side, HNIC had interviewed Alzner's dad, Guenther, during the first period, so they went back immediately and showed him on the cell phone after Karl's goal. I said to my daughter then, since I have three daughters (the other two don't watch), "I guess I'll never have Alzner's dad's feeling." She promised though to make any sons she has go right into hockey. Good kid. Maybe as a grand-dad one day they'll have me on the TV. Let's go Caps.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I dislike Chicago and Detroit. I liked that Winter Classic commercial.

Posted by: Section117 | December 6, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else lose the feed? The sound is cutting in and out, but the picture is frozen on a commercial.

Posted by: Erika29 | December 6, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Tom- Semin was retro-shifted to the LTIR today with the thought that he would be recalled and placed back on the roster Tuesday. (I think it was Tuesday)
How would this effect the cap situation moving forward?

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 6, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse