Caps make another round of cuts

The Capitals a few minutes ago announced today's promised cuts: Francois Bouchard, Sean Collins, Kyle Greentree, Grant McNeill, Zach Miskovic and Brian Willsie.

Some other notes from practice:

-- Semyon Varlamov is expected to start and play the entire game against the Bruins tomorrow.

-- Alex Ovechkin should make his preseason debut and said he will likely skate on a line with Tomas Fleischmann and Mike Knuble.

-- Per TSN, Willsie and Greentree were placed on waivers earlier today. If they are not claimed by another team they will be assigned to the Hershey Bears.

By Katie Carrera  | September 27, 2010; 6:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: It's not just hockey, it's HBO: Cameras invade Caps practice
Next: Capitals plan for a more aggressive penalty kill

Comments

Bouchard's got a real uphill battle to ever make this team. I think this was his last yr to really prove it. But he has to crack the 2nd line. That's the only place for him. And with Semin, MaJo, Flash, Fehr, Laich all competing for icetime there's no room for FB in this org.'

eat that draft pick and trade him for a 6th rounder or something. If not now, then later this yr when he plays on the 1st or 2nd line at Hershey this yr and hopefully puts up bigger #s. Right now he's getting outscored by grinders in the AHL.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 27, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

The Skins have pissed me off so bad I think I am going to watch this Pre-season NHL game, which I of course couldn't care less about, instead of MNF.

DAMNED SKINS!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | September 27, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who think GMGM is terrible and can't find any good talent past the 1st round, let me show you some comparisons. I've compared us with NJ, Pit, Det, Chi & SJ.

All data includes the 2004 draft thru the 2009 draft as few if any 2010 picks will play in the NHL this year.

We have made the most draft picks with 53, CHI 51, NJ 43, SJ 42 with DET & PIT both having 41.

We have had 10 of 11 (91%) 1st round picks play in the NHL, CHI 4 of 6 (67%), PIT 3 of 5 (60%), NJ 2 of 5 (40%), SJ 1 of 6 (17%) and last and yes least DET with 0 of 3!

We have had 3 of 9 (33%) 2nd round picks play in the NHL, DET 2 of 6 (33%), SJ 1 of 4 (25%), both PIT & NJ are 1 of 6 (17%) and last and yes the least is CHI with 1 of 8 (13%)!

Taking round 3 and lower here are the results: PIT is tops at 4 of 30 (13%), DET 4 of 32 (12.5%), we're at 3 of 28 (11%), CHI 2 of 35 (6%), NJ 1 of 26 (4%) and last and certainly the least is SJ who have had NONE, yes NO player drafted in rounds 3 or later since 2004 has yet to play in the NHL out of 34 picks for the SJ Sharks!

You can critisize the standard of just playing in the NHL if you want, and some of you will because you can't say anything positive about anything but when you're a GM your #1 priority is your NHL team and your 2nd priority is developing players in the minors. So my thought is if you at least had a cup of cof
fee in the NHL you're at least contributing to the minor league affiliate as well and you have to have 1 to have the other.

So don't tell me GMGM drafts a bunch of bums after the 1st round. Everybody does! You are drafting 18yr old kids! For the most part you have no idea what this kid is going to turn into.

I think the most surprising stat of all of this is the 1st round. Look at how many picks we have that have played in the NHL compared to other teams! On opening night THIS YEAR, we could have 11 HOME GROWN 1st round picks playing! 11 of 11? And some of you want to critisize his drafting? Really?

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 27, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

George, is that you?

Posted by: perspective6 | September 27, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Poor Willsie, got can't get a break. Hopefully some team will pick him up. But not a good environment with so many unsigned fa's out there.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | September 27, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

No, just a lil tired of people bashing GMGM for drafting when they don't know what they're talking about.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 27, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

hey pokerfaceI208, I hope you at least got a free ticket outta GMGM for that nice spin job you did.

All that shows is quantity, doesn't show QUALITY which is always more important.

Posted by: joek443 | September 27, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey nascar boy, go back to watching your cars turn left idiot!

Quality? This doesn't show quality? So 11 1st round picks out of 11 starting on opening night isn't quality?

Why do I even bother with you Joke? Your world is dark and the only light you have at the end of your tunnel is a train. Or who knows maybe its jeff gordon driving 800mph at 45 G's coming to run your @$$ over.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 27, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

@pokerfacel208

Good stats and I'm 100% behind you on this, but I don't think the Caps have 11 of 11 first round picks from 2004 to 2009 playing on opening night because there is Anton Gustafson, Sasha Pokulok and Joe Finley.

The Caps are still better than all other teams and that's all that matters.

Don't worry, I'm sure the "haters" will come on here and say how those are not quality (yeah, Ovie, Backstrom, Green, and Carlson are not just quality picks but ridiculosuly high quality picks, hmmmmmm... Try again people) Then you add in Schultz and Varly then combine them with Alzner, Neuvy and possibly MJ(we will wait and see how good they are).

Don't worry, I'm sure someone will come on here and say how bad those picks are or they will focus on ONE pick that was bad and use that as "proof" that GMGM can't draft.

It's ridiculous.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 27, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Pokerface,

That is a lot of good work put in. I appreciate the effort, and I agree that it is a credit to McPhee. I think he has improved as a drafter as he has gained experience and put better people around him. I sat in on the player evaluation seminar at the caps convention last year and the guys knew what they were talking about and do their homework.

However,
Detroit , NJ and San Jose can't be expected to have the same kind of success in the first few rounds as the others becuause they were consistantly great during the years you sampled and pitt, chicago and the caps were bad enough to draft high in the first few years you mentioned. It's too early to only use, say, 2007-2010 but that will be a better sample to take from for that type of comparison with those specific teams.
We just started selling off before that 2004 draft and were getting pretty high draft picks, I remember having to accept that those many, many, many losses would result in better younger players. He did get a few late first round gem defenseman in Green, Schultz and Carlson. We'll see if Orlov can continue to develop

I still can't understand drafting a good gritty 4th line center in B Gordon a spot or two, i can't remember, ahead of an elite offensive talent in Semin, I still thank the hockey gods we had two firsts that year,
and Fehr, who I like as a player and am hoping he can get more ice time this year, over Getzlaf, who I can't stand , visions of him losing control on the bench and doing his best Steve Austin trash talking impression in Malkins ear, but is a top 10 center. But hey, a bunch of other gms passed on those players too.

Overall I'm very happy with how McPhee has decided to build this team. I get as much enjoyment out of watching our young caps mature and grow as players and people as I do seeing them win games. I can't say I would say the same about winning a Cup though.... but they do seem to have better chemistry and cohesiveness with this plan, and if he continues to draft better in the latter rounds and gets guys like Carlson every couple years with picks in the mid to high twenties we shouldn't have to overpay for free agents.

On a barely related note, I'm glad the O's have finally caught on, although the unlimited cap in baseball will make it hard to keep any young superstars away from those dirty teams in the northeast that fight over chowder.

Posted by: GreenerLife | September 27, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Hah,
there's no need to bicker with joek. He has his point of view that he is entitled to even if it's incredibly negative and posed rudely.

And from what I've noticed in the statistical analysis posts he has a particular disdain for stats, so it's no wonder the combination of GMGM props and stats in the same post caused him so much pain.

Posted by: GreenerLife | September 27, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

There is an article on espn.com about the potential UFA class of 2011. They were going over the defensemen and then they got to Tomas Kaberle. This is the part of the article about Kaberle:

"I can't believe they want to trade him," one veteran NHL player from a Western Conference team recently told ESPN.com. "He's the best defenseman on that team. The game is all about puck-moving defensemen now."

Interesting to note as this comes from a current player.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 28, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Hah,

Posted by: GreenerLife | September 27, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
In other words he can't deal with reality and facts. He just likes to bark negativity that is completely false and baseless. The only good thing I can say about him is at least he doesn't post every 5 minutes. He even goes away for extended periods of time so it gives us more rational people to converse.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 28, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

I would guess the caps are fine with giving bouchard a year or two more in Hershey to either continue to improve as he did last year and be good trade bait, or really improve and have the option of having him replace either laich or flash or knuble on the 2nd line in the next couple years. I don't think he reaches that ceiling, I think a realistic situation is using him as a piece in a trade for a deadline deal in the next two years that brings in a difference maker for a long playoff run. That would be an acceptable use of a 2nd rounder since that's something that gets thrown around a lot lately at the deadline anywsay, and he helped hershey win a couple of cups along the way to boot.

Posted by: GreenerLife | September 28, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Lets see, NJ - Cup. Pit - Cup. Chi - Cup. Det - Cup. SJ - Choke. Caps - Choke. Give me NJ,Pit, Det and Chi drafting over GMGMs any day. You have to be strong up the middle (we aren't unless you're counting Flash, MP and Stecks great centers) and strong defensively. You also have to figure in the hard and sould players on a team. The grit and sandpaper players. The muckers and grinders.

GMGM has been at the helm since the 97-98 season. He took a David Poile team to the Cup. Since Tinner left he has never been replaced. We have won 1 playoff series since the Cup run. We have bowed out with a whimper the last 3 years in the playoffs. We are 1-3 in games 7s all at home. So what about those 11 first round draft picks?

Posted by: themightyzep2000 | September 28, 2010 2:01 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what all of you complainers are going to use to prop your GMGM and BB argument after they win the Cup this year. "Ahhh, yeah, they won, but they've only have one Cup win." I am sure I will be sitting by all of you die hard fans beginning this week who have been there for the long haul. Please don't google some crap to try to show you have been a fan since whenever.

I have a brother-in-law that is EXACTLY like most of you complainers. He's lived just outside of DC his entire life and pokes his head in when the Caps show signs of life. During the bad years I can't convince him to take my season tickets for a day that I can't make it and he lives about 20 minutes from Verizon. Now he wants them all the time and he's rockin' red and is starving for a cup. He also dons black and orange, but not in the last decade (cuz the O's have stunk), and accepted the Nats, well, that was until Strasburg's arm disintegrated, and he was a HUGE Redskins fan after they beat Dallas, but of course now he can't stand them. Makes me friggin' sick.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2010 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and he's become a Ravens fan again, the first time since 2001. Of course he wasn't a fan during the season because the offense couldn't score a touchdown, but by the Superbowl he was purple from head to toe. He'll be a Ravens fan until they lose to the Steelers this weekend, then they will go on the scrap heap with the rest of his local teams. He's a huge Caps fan again because of the expectations, I believe he will be a fan all year this time because the Stanley Cup drought in Washington will end next June.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah, and please don't start saying I am one of those long time fans that won't accept new fans. That's not the case at all. My point is, if you just joined the fight when the Caps were rebuilt, don't feel come off like you are this fan that has suffered through multiple heartaches. Being a fan, and suffering through the bad times comes with the territory. You will really know when you are a fan. Take tominsocal, even when he complains, he rationalizes. He doesn't constantly post negative things. Some are negative, yes, but he posts positive ones as well. I had the pleasure of meeting tominsocal when he was still tominfl. He came up to DC on a buisness trip and sat with my sons and I up in our seats. Tom was like a kid in a candy shop. The Caps lost that day, but Tom mentioned he was surprised at all the balony being yelled from the stands.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

You know fanohock, this BS of you coming on here all the time and saying people haven't been fans for years and don't follow the team in down years is really getting old, really f'ing old! I have been following the team faithfully since inception as a kid when my parents intoduced me to the game, my dad grew up in Philly so that explains the family love of the game. Did you have season tickets when they were playing at the Capital Center in the mid 70's and late 70's?? Talk about lean years!! Did you have friends record games for you while you were stationed in Europe so you could wathc youe beloved Caps even though the tapes would show up weeks after the games were played??

Enough of this BS, there are plenty of fans on here who have followed the team for going on 40 years now in 2014. Get off your high horse and stop thinking you are sooooooo much better than others here.

Posted by: PhilR | September 28, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

I admit to being a lukewarm Skins fan since Synder ook over and free agency went nuts. Then again, I don't watch the NFL any more, so it's more a symptom of disliking the NFL since the new FA system went into effect. I watch college football and hockey. But if the Caps ever go the route of the Snyder Skins or the Isles, cya. I won't support terrible ownership. Now these Caps, I love 'em and have loved them since going to my first game in '77.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | September 28, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

PhilR: Just because you claim you have lived here your entire life doesn't mean a thing. I just gave a perfect example of my bonehead brother in law who has lived here his entire life. He knows absolutely nothing about hockey and pokes his head in on the team when they do well. Nope, wasn't here in the 1970's because I was living in Chicago. I was a fan of the Cougars and Black Hawks back then (didn't give a crap the Hawks won this year). I have been a fan since 1988 when I married a MD girl. Yes I had VHS tapes sent to me because I too served and retired from the military in 2006.

Why don't YOU get off your high horse "Did you have season tickets when they were playing at the Capital Center in the mid 70's and late 70's??" I don't believe you had season tickets either, sorry, just not buying it. My bonehead brother-in-law spews the same "I've been a fan since the 70s" junk too. He's only been to about 20 games and I gave him tickets to at least 15 of those.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

That right there proves my point! You claim to be so holier than thou and have been a season ticket holder when the Verizon Center was empty, as you said I'm not buying it from you either.....just another guy typing on a keyboard in his workplace.

For the record I became a season ticket holder in 78 when I became old enough to hold down a job and continued until 1984 when I joined the military. Could give a crap less if Mr holier than thou believes me or not. As I have stated in here before I have the certificate that was given out to all the fans attending the first Caps playoff game framed in my living room. And I proudly handed down my old Bobby Carpenter jersey to my daughter last season, she wears it to school all the time and she wore it to a game last year.

And no, we can't afford season tickets anymore but certainly enjoy every game on tv and catch a few live every year. We see more Hershey games live because they are so much more affordable.

So, I think you need to get off the "high horse." I wasn't the one who brought up this subject, sorry if the truth hurts.

Posted by: PhilR | September 28, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Truth doesn't hurt. If you'd like to see if I am a season ticket holder I have two extra tickets for Friday's game because my sons will by in NY. I will extend an olive branch and send you those two tickets directly from my season ticket holder account. The catch is you would have to sit next to my wife and I. By the way, there is a new thread.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Going to games and owning season tickets does NOT make you more of a fan than someone who does not. Thats just insane. Thats like saying, "well I painted my basement in red and there is a huge Caps Eagle painted on the floor...your basement is unfinished, ergo I am the bigger fan". In this sense, you idea of the bigger fan is whoever gives their organization the most money. So whoever gives more money to their church is closer to god? Hmmmmm????

A fan is just someone who enjoys a team for whatever the reason. Some watch the games, some listen to the games, some buy season tickets, some buy per game tickets, some people buy the programs, some people buy Caps underwear...who gives a rats a$$. If you are a fan...good for you. But it's just plain stupid to sit here and be like "Im a bigger fan than you so hmmph". Old school, band wagon, whatever...enjoy the team however YOU want. Everyone has their right to enjoy the team however THEY want.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 28, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

-------------

well i for one plan to plan to go play hockey in hell. You know, since it froze over.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 28, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

---------

ROFL! So all the complainers are apparently newbies! Thanks for the newsflash buddy! If anything, the fans who go around gushing about how great a job McPhee has done (StrongGayMan3) are the ones who have no context. Every other dissenter in this group that I've run across knows what they're talking about and have a vast array of history and knowledge to choose from.

So keep up with those delusions Fanock. Did you just dream that up to make your argument more valid in your eyes by nailing yourself to the cross like some long suffering martyr?

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 28, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1

I have a feeling Phil could've watched 30 measly games in his life and still understands more about this game than do you. And boy, I can't tell you the # of "season-ticket holders" I've met over the past 20+ yrs who THINK they know hockey but really don't. Most of them use the in-game experience as a way to have something social to do. It gives them a sense of belonging or something.

I bet even Doughless knows more than you do. And that's hard for him to prove on this blog since most of his comments comprise of 6 or less words strung together. And yet once in a blue moon he'll say something that makes me think he knows a lot more than he lets on.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 28, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

If we compare our drafted players to other teams, I think we are doing a pretty decent job at drafting players. NHL drafting has ALWAYS been difficult once you get past the blue chip prospects. When your drafting kids that have not fully matured or developed is always dicey. Always has been and always will be in hockey. In other sports your drafting players that have had time to develop their game,and bodies while attending college (except for some blue chip prospects from hi school that go to the NBA).

Sure some of ur draft picks have been busts, but EVERY team in the NHL can say the same

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | September 28, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

At the original poster:
The other teams you used to compare GM against were not in an all out rebuild mode during the sample years, like the Caps were/are. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that GM's team would have more of its draft picks playing on it. Not necessarily because GM drafted better than the other teams. Simply because the other team already had better players that rookies could not replace.
Therefore, I still believe your figures are out of whack because a guy like Boyd Gordon, who I'm sure you are counting as a 1st round draft pick skating for the team, would not be skating on any of those other teams as a rookie or even ever. GM had different urgencies in rushing his draft picks to the big show. It doesn't "prove" that his draft picks are better than other GM's. It just proves that he plays his draft picks because they are his draft picks.

Cordially,