Sad News to Report

Dave Fay of The Washington Times, a legend among hockey writers and soon to be member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, passed away last night after a long battle with cancer. He will be missed by all, and particularly by this scribe, who had the pleasure of knowing "Dr. Puck" for about a decade and working alongside him for the past three years.

"In true Fay style he battled till the end. This time even that look could not stop this disease. He fought a good fight, but now he is at rest." -- Pat Fay, his wife, wrote in an email to friends.

The family requests no flowers. Memorial contributions can be made in Dave's name to Hockey Fights Cancer, P.O. Box 5037, New York, NY 10185-5037, or Hockey's All-Star Kids Foundation, National Hockey League, 1251 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020.

Canadian friends can send Memorial contributions to Hockey Fights Cancer, P.O. Box 1282, Station B, Montreal, Quebec H3B 3K9.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 18, 2007; 11:29 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clark Signs Extension
Next: Clark's Deal

Comments

Very sad indeed.
Didn't I tell you that you would not get any "down time?" It's been a busy week in the Caps world.

Posted by: on ice | July 18, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

It is really sad to know that Dave is no longer with us.

Posted by: SovSport | July 18, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I guess we knew this was coming based on all the time he missed last year battling the disease. Rest in Peace, Dave.

Posted by: Old Bob | July 18, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

RIP Dave

Posted by: TJ | July 18, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Although i don't know who this is,may he rest in peace.Its so sad,my grandfather died from cancer too(R.I.P.).

Posted by: eMiLy | July 18, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eMiLy | July 18, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eMiLy | July 18, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

RIP, Dave..........the only reason i read the Times............

Posted by: Mike | July 18, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Truly a great man who loved the game and the Capitals organization enough to be honest when maybe they didn't want him to be. Rest in peace Dave. We'll see you at center ice someday.

Posted by: someone else who knows | July 18, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Sad news indeed. RIP

Another Hockey/Cancer link: http://boards.washingtoncaps.com/index.php?showtopic=55205

We get together in a sporting game of charity hockey to fight cancer, monthly in these parts.

Posted by: CCCP11 | July 18, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Hockey in DC has lost one of its true stalwarts. I've worked at TWT Sports for 15+ years (on the copy desk) and his passion for puck was immeasurable. I feel bad he won't be able to enjoy his HOF moment this fall but am comforted by knowing his suffering is over.

Posted by: SteveR | July 18, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Make him proud of the Caps up there, Uncle Ted.

Posted by: whitney | July 18, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Sad news - his wit, insight, and at times harsh words, will be missed by this Caps fan.

Posted by: Chris | July 18, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

He'll be greatly missed. I remember a year or two ago, as we passed the Washington Times building, I commented to a friend that I dislike that newspaper but they have a terrific hockey beat writer named Dave Fay. It'll be hard for anyone to fill his shoes. Rest in peace.

Posted by: Tess | July 18, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Rest in Peace, Dave

Posted by: Harry | July 18, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Good night, hockey man.

Posted by: HolyOlie | July 18, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Grew up with Mr. Fay. Class. RIP.

Posted by: Victor | July 18, 2007 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I had no clue about Dave: his hall of fame induction or the cancer. So sad. He was the only reason I visited the Times website.

Posted by: Larry | July 18, 2007 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ted
Lets take down those ridiculous Mystics attendance banners and put up a banner for Dave!

Posted by: caphcky | July 20, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse