Spirited rout of Finland lands USA in Olympic hockey gold medal game

(Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)

With a convincing 6-1 victory over Finland in the men's hockey semifinal, Team USA can rest assured it will bring home at least the silver despite rarely entering the medal conversation before these Games began.

From the AP:

The United States is on its way to playing for the Olympic gold medal in men's hockey after a 6-1 romp over a beleaguered Finland.
The Americans scored four times on goalie Miikka Kiprusoff in a six-goal first period in Friday's semifinal to storm into the title game.
The U.S. will meet the Canada-Slovakia winner on Sunday, 50 years to the day after capturing gold in 1960 at Squaw Valley, Calif.
This is the second time in three Olympics the American men will play for gold. They haven't claimed the top spot on the podium since the 1980 Miracle on Ice at Lake Placid, N.Y.

Columnist Tracee Hamilton will have more on the game later this evening.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 26, 2010; 5:21 PM ET
 | Tags: Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau puts Caps through grueling practice
Next: Team USA has Canada's fans seething red

Comments

what is this story I'm hearing on PTI about Ovie shoving a camera man or a person with a camera??

Posted by: joek443 | February 26, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

USA...USA...USA!

What a great game, they played with alot of drive and heart! I am proud of this team!

Posted by: NatyBG | February 26, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

One last comment about the Ovi video:

First, did Fox news really air it? Another reason to not watch them.

Second, it was definitely NOT just a fan. The video was first published in a Russian tabloid paper. Second, funny how "just a fan" would keep filming immediately after Ovi took his hand off of the camera. Third, Ovi didn't PUSH anyone. He covered up the camera lens, a lens that was being shoved in his face--would "just a fan" shove a camera in someone's face? I don't think so.

Anyway, could he have walked by and done nothing, yes. But apparently this tabloid makes a habit of sending out girls with cameras to get just such pictures--Ovi's probably seen her before.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | February 26, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Puck Daddy Twitter: "For the 'leave Ovie alone' crowd: Kiprusoff is doing press all over the place."

Posted by: Dalliquippa | February 26, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

joek443, yes, that's the video--what's the point of showing it again?

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Sure looks like a non-event to me.

Posted by: zmega | February 26, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

again? I don't see that video on here

are we supposed to show only the good videos of the Caps players on here? kinda like the old USSR media??

Posted by: joek443 | February 26, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

@Dalliquippa, First, I know you're a Pens fan. Count me as a Caps fan who wished Ovi did to a ton of interviews after the Russian loss to Canada. I can understand him focusing on his team and not giving a bunch of interviews while the Russians were still in the tournament. But once it was over, I would have loved to have seen Ovi be able to handle the tough quetsions that would have come at him from everyone. Granted, he did do interviews afterwards that had tough questions--it wasn't like he was hiding in the locker room. SO gotta give him some credit for facing the media, if not all of the media.

Anyway, he lost out on a "teaching" moment by not facing the entire firing squad, but it's too late now.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

joek443, it was already on another thread--that's what I meant. I guess you think it's worse than it is?

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

@ dfe1

no I don't because I don't mind guys behaving badly... I'm a Kyle Busch fan and there's no driver in nascar who's more surly and moody than him :)

as long as they produce, I don't really...

Posted by: joek443 | February 26, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

as long as they produce, I don't really care

but I must say that's a side of Ovie that I never saw before

Posted by: joek443 | February 26, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010

----
I also believe he missed out an opportunity to win new fans -- and perhaps earn some of the respect he deserves from fans of other teams.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | February 26, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

joek443, I agree, definitely not the Ovi we know and love. But anyone who thinks he isn't completely devastated--not only by the loss itself but the total domination by Canada as well--doesn't know or understand Ovi. It could have been worse, he really could have shoved her, he could have broken her camera, he could have gotten so drunk that he trashed his room (oh, wait, that was the US men in Nagano).

Still, I wish he had just walked past without doing anything.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

@Dalliquippa, yes, I agree. But we've also got to remember that Kipper is 34, I believe, and Ovi is 25. Still, he's an adult and STILL not an excuse but maybe a little more of an understanding.

Look at it on the bright side for you, the print media who gets to vote for the Hart will probably not be casting any ballots for Ovi, so good news for your player.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Also, Dalliquippa, in his interview he did do with Soviet Sports, I believe, it wasn't like he threw his goalie or his coach under the bus--he did say all of the right things.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010
----

Ha Ha. Zubov is my favorite and he's not even in the NHL anymore. :)

Posted by: Dalliquippa | February 26, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I really think that if the Russians had won or at least had showed up for the game, Ovi was prepared to talk to everyone afterwards--like I said before, he wanted to limit his distractions while Russia was still in. Remember, one of his own teammates the very first day of practice complained that all the media was there just to see one guy--maybe Ovi was trying to be a "team" guy.

But I think he was so upset with HOW they lost that all he probably wanted to do was to start throwing things. Maybe it was all he could do to answer the few interviews without losing it.

I'll say there, there was no other hockey player playing the Olympics that wanted gold more than Ovi did--maybe just as much, but not more.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm just now hearing about this Ovechkin video.

Are all the facts of the situation out in the open? Was the woman definitely just a fan? Could she have been paparazzi?

Either way, it didn't really look bad from what I saw and there was no commotion as he was walking away so it didn't create a frenzy. He didn't "attack" her as was suggested in the YouTube video's title.

This kind of stuff happens fairly often when paparazzi types follow high profile people around and catch them at the wrong time.

It seems much ado about nothing.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 26, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

tmac2yao, you've got it correct. Read my post at the top of the page. Has Ovi said anything about it yet, no. But don't you think if Ovi had pushed or shoved or done anything other than cover the camera that was being shoved in his face as he walked by, that the other people standing around would have gasped?

Apparently they showed it on PTI and actually said "apparently, the woman with the camera had bruises on her arm." First, a very slanderous statement in my mind by PTI. Don't you think you should check out the facts first? Oh, no, that's right, you're looking to create a controversy.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Any lawyers here? There's such a thing as "personal space," and we're all entitled to it. For instance, if you are standing somewhere, in public, and another person comes along and puts his face about one inch from yours, I'm pretty sure you can legally tell him to back away. What defines "too close?" My personal belief, if anyone cares, is nobody should thrust a camera so close to you that you can touch it with your hand. That's too close, and I feel a person then should have the right to push the camera away (but not grab it out of the photographer's hand or damage the camera). So, what Ovi did, don't know Canadian law, but it's a "legal check" by me and, my opinion, the camera holder was guilty of "interference."

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 26, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure even the woman is saying he did nothing wrong. Just more crap from the Ovy haters cause he is the clear best in the world.

Posted by: Mike4169 | February 26, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree, tominfl1, but I guarantee 3, 5, 10 years from now, even with Ovi having told everyone everything that happened with it, there will be Pens fans who say that Ovi shoved a fan who was a woman and hurt her.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Also, to whoever it was that suggesting that it's no coincidence that Crosby keeps coming up on the winning end of things, I agree, it's not a coincidence.

First of all, the Penguins have 4 top 2 picks on their roster. Does any team other than TB this season have anything close to that? Crosby had A LOT of help. Crosby and Malkin are arguably 2 of the best 3 players in the world and they play on the same team. Staal and Fleury also tremendous talents. The point: The Penguins have a great team and Crosby is just one of the players that went along for the ride. Take 1 or 2 of those top 2 picks off that roster, particularly Malkin or Fleury, and suddenly Crosby is probably a player that hasn't been out of the first round of the playoffs.

Secondly, Team Canada is an immensely talented and well coached team. Once again, he gets to play on the best team in the world and is just one of many contributors. Do you think if you replaced him with any player on the Russian team that things would be different right now?

Don't get me wrong, Crosby is a great player but he is also getting more help than any other great player not playing for the Penguins or Team Canada.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 26, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Also, Team Canada still has to get past Team USA. Win or lose, my point about Crosby remains the same: He has more help around him on the Penguins and Team Canada than any other great player in hockey not playing for either of those two teams.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 26, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

let's not try to make excuses for Ovie... that was a bad moment no matter what

he's a big boy, he can take care of himself

Posted by: joek443 | February 26, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

If you put Malkin or Datsyuk on Team Canada and Crosby on Team Russia, would the Russians still be in the tournament?

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 26, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

tmac2yao, agree with what you're saying. If Team Russia had won the gold, I wouldn't be going around saying, see, Ovi is better than Crosby. It is a team game. Canada is 10 times the better team than Russia. But not to put Crosby down--one thing I have to give him credit for--pretty obvious to me that he practiced the shootout during the summer knowing 1. it could help his team earn an extra point during the regular NHL season and 2. he knew it could be REALLY important during the Olympics. Just remember how the Czech Republic won the gold in a shootout. So gotta give him credit there. But I have to say the player on Team Canada I've been most impressed with is Nash.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Joek first we should get the full story before we decide what kind of moment it was

Posted by: Mike4169 | February 26, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

The only really bad thing about it from what I can see is that he knows how the media overreacts to almost everything. His actions gave them something to work with.

Unless there is more to the story, or this lady really is hurt badly despite a video that would suggest otherwise, it's much ado about nothing, as is usually the case when the media jumps on stuff like this.

Is dfe1 right that this video first appeared in a Russian tabloid? If so, Ovechkin probably had an idea what was going on. He could have known she wasn't just an ordinary fan.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 26, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

okay then can we say that was not a good moment for Ovie? can we agree on that??

Posted by: joek443 | February 26, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao, got that info about the tabloid from Russians who are members of Japers' Rink.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

joe443, I can definitely say it was not a good moment for Ovi.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

All that being said about supporting casts, OV definitely has the better one this year. We can use that argument for the past, but the fact remains that OV and the Caps absolutely must get past the second round this year. I am, like everyone else, so tired of the OV vs. Sid debate, but whether we like it or not, it will be around for the next 10 + years. That being said, it's time that the team make their mark. OV has much better personal awards, but as this is a team game he needs to get those team awards (let's start with a President's Trophy in April, then an Eastern Conference Championship in late May, then a Stanley Cup in June...sound good?)

Posted by: Aldred15 | February 26, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

way too funny.....if a Canadian shoved a woman with a camera this board would call for his execution...Milbury uses the term Euro Trash and this board wants him exiled from the US......yet when OV acts like spoiled Euro Trash it has to be the fault of the person with the camera....my my what a set a rotating standards of behaviour posters here have.....

Posted by: wendel2 | February 26, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

This event really doesn't matter to me. I don't see this being a big deal to his fans, frankly, I'm surprised OV is as good to the media as he is with all the criticism he gets, that being said, I can see a lot of the haters and ratings grabbers taking this and running with it. Oh well, who cares. I'll still wear his jersey. :)

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 26, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

wendel2, show me the shove.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Aldred15, sounds good to me.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

@Aldred15

The fact is that, unless I'm mistaken, no other team in the league has 4 top 2 picks on their roster. That is a glut of high end talent on one team. And none of those players are old and washed up. It's quite the opposite, actually. They are all young and entering their primes. The Penguins piled up on top picks back-to-back-to-back-to-back. I can't ever remember seeing a team load up on that much talent through the draft in such a short period of time.

Having said all that, Malkin is no longer making chump change like he was last season. It's not as easy for the Penguins to fill in gaps and bring in complementary players like they've done in recent seasons.

Backstrom to us this season is sort of like Malkin was to the Penguins last season. An elite player making a lot less than he's actually worth. I think it's all on McPhee to not only make some moves before the deadline but to make the right moves. This season is as good as any for the Caps to go all in, meaning they should be willing to sacrifice picks/prospects/players to improve this roster as much as possible for the real season.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 26, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

It's like CI got infected with a really bad virus today, with all the trolls.

Posted by: zmega | February 26, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 26, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

@tmac4yo

I agree completely with what you're saying. My point was that we need to leave the past in the past. The Pens have had a better supporting cast since the lock out (except maybe the first year back when both were brutal), but the tables have finally changed. OV has a better cast this year and, as such, the team must respond to this. The Caps must make a long run this year, or people are always going to question OV and the rest of them, which will only fuel all of our hatred for Crosby, analysts, etc. more.

Posted by: Aldred15 | February 26, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

"Obviously we don't know the whole story, but it looks like a fan filming Ovi as he walked by. It doesn't appear that they shoved camera at him. If we're going to be honest Caps fans, we have to admit this was a bad thing for him to do. I mean he makes a lot of money, in turn he has to be able to handle some crap. If Crosby did that we'd be all over him...sorry. Go Caps!"
Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 26, 2010 7:56 PM |

Good post you are right

Posted by: Mike4169 | February 26, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

kcbrichmond, the camera was close enough for Ovi to put his hand on, so that's pretty close. How many fans do you know that are going to try to get that close with a camera? How many fans do you know that would keep filming him after it happened? If you were filming a celebrity and that celebrity all of a sudden covered up your camera lens, don't you think you'd back away?

I agree he should have just ignored her. Just another bad thing to add to an already bad Olympics. But let's not make this out to be more than what it is.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

The argument that "we'd be all over Crosby if he did it" is no better than being a homer and excessively defending Ovechkin if and when he is in the wrong.

People are all over Crosby for everything so how a Caps fan would react to him doing something like this would likely be no more objective than how we are reacting to Ovechkin doing it.

The goal is to try to be objective and just look at the facts. As far as I know, all the facts aren't even out yet. One thing is for sure: the media tends to exaggerate everything. So, while some of you are trying to be objective and willing to criticize Ovechkin, consider that all the facts aren't out yet and that the media will almost invariably make an incident out to be bigger than it really is, whether it's a good or bad thing.

Right off the top, that YouTube video says Ovechkin "attacked" the camera person. By definition, that is probably an accurate word but using common sense, that didn't look like what I think of when I think of an "attack." Saying Ovechkin "shoved" the camera seems far more appropriate and less misleading.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 26, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

The latest on Ovi's camera incident is now Ed Fraser of "The Hockey News" believes that Ovi should be suspended for it, on the order of 6 games similar to Sean Avery's suspension. Says he should be suspended for "behavior detrimental to the sport".

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

@dfe1
It kind of looks like Ovi went a little out of his way to put hand over camera, can't tell for sure.
As far as your question, if Chuck Norris put his hand over my camera, I'd probably back away. However if, let's say, Scarlett Johansson started putting hands on me or my camera, I might let it roll!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 26, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

And let me add that if it turns out that all I've read from Russians who said this was paparazzi(who were all over Vancouver stalking Ovi) was wrong and it was a just fan, then I'll be the first to admonish Ovi more than I already have.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Was the girl part of the media in any way? Because even though I am and will always be a huge Ovie fan, shoving a fan...esp. a girl is very uncool...and it didn't seem like she was in his face or even saying anything.

Posted by: capscoach | February 26, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

@dfe1
I agree. If this was paparazzi (and not just a fan or some passerby who had a camera) then I can't blame Ovi. He may just be fed up with the paparazzi and press all over him in Canada.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 26, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75, unbelieveable. Can we get the true story first please before we villify the guy?

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach, please read all of the comments before to get answers to your question.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Remember what Kane went through this past summer. A lot of people have already forgotten that incident.

If Ovechkin assaulted this lady, she should sue him and deal with it in court. It sounds like she's paparazzi from what dfe1 is saying but let's see if that is actually the case.

Either way, this'll be a small footnote in a few months. People forget everything in this day and age of neverending sensationalism.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 26, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

tmac2yao--did you read what CapsFan75 wrote?

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

@dfe1

Seriouly chill out! don't respond if you don't like the post! I read the other comments and they seemed a bit wishy washy...I was looking for clarity...Go have kids if you want to boss people around give reprimands. This is not your blog.

Posted by: capscoach | February 26, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

@dfe1

just re-read yor post...if you did not intend to sound like you were giving areprimand then I apoligize. I might have misinterprted.

Posted by: capscoach | February 26, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

@dfe1

Posted by: capscoach | February 26, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I am almost certain the NHL will not even think about suspending Ovechkin, let alone actually do it, no matter what the facts turn out to be.

Kane missed exactly 0 regular season games as a result of that cab driver incident.

I don't think he was even held out of preseason games but I could be wrong.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 26, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

This is certainly one of the more ridiculous topics since I have been participating in CI. The video shows what happened. Someone, whether a fan or paparazzi, pushed a video camera in Ovi's face. Ovi pushed it away and walked away. I know a lot of the hockey press are not terribly bright guys and still seem to have cold war carryover grudges, but it is truly ridiculous to try to make something out of this.

Posted by: zmega | February 26, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I watched the You Tube video a couple of times and had trouble making out what happened, aside from the lens of the camera being covered at one point.

Yes, I'll concede Ovi didn't do the "right" thing but it seems like the media in general has been going over the line.

I know that after such a horrible loss, I would have personally needed time to cool down. I likely would have not handled the media too well, myself.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach, yes, you misread my quote--or perhaps I didn't word it correctly. I was just trying to avoid retyping what a lot of people have already talked about, that's all.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

@joe443 and other posters focused on the video

Japers had a fanshot yesterday and puck daddy aired it immediately. So the video may have gotten bigger traction today but it is already old news in my view. And if this really was a fan then why was the video on the Internet so quickly. Sorry but not a fan.

And although I wish our our incredibly disappointed 24 year old superstar who is already being the scapegoated by some in the Russian establishment had shown better judgement than twist shut the video lense of the camera with his hand, let us not make more of this than it is.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 26, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

@dfe1

Here's the link to the story on THN. I had a hard time believing it myself; that is, Edward Fraser's call for suspending Ovi.

To be honest with you, I think Fraser is going way too far, with that recommendation for suspension. Fraser is being totally ridiculous.

It was actually hard to get the straight story out of the little You Tube segment that we saw.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

If there had been an "event" of any significance (such as the camera person being knocked down), someone from Ovi's entourage would have looked back or perhaps hesitated. They all continued their conversations as they walked away, not behaving any different than before. There is no indication that any of them thought that anything had happened.

Posted by: zmega | February 26, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

@zmega. Thank you.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

re: Ovi and the camera:

MY GOD! The last time something got this blown out of proportion, it had to do with a president, an intern and a blue dress!

Part of the problem with today's world, where we seemingly have endless and immediate access to whatever happens almost anywhere on the globe, is that all 6 billion humans are instantly evaluating and judging.

Remember these words that were once spoken:

"Judge not; lest you be judged."

You can put religion aside and view these words thusly: Treat your neighbor as you'd like to be treated.

We all know Ovi to be as jovial as Santa Claus. He's the best of the best, a wonderful young man who handles the spotlight with aplomb. He is a great spokesman for hockey, both here and abroad. It's one thing to put your opinion ("that was a penalty"; "that warrants suspension") or to even call Crosby a "whiner," as we see him whine. But to make a firm judgment on an action as though you were a jury, the person whom you are judging is entitled, under the Constitution, to confront you.

The first time this got really out of control was the OJ trial. The bottom line is that Madison and Adams could never have forseen the world today, the 21st century as it is, but what a wonderful piece of jurispudence they produced.

You can't judge without all the facts and without the accused being allowed to cross-examine. To judge otherwise is unconstitutional within our system of government.

I'm sorry for the soapbox. Let's go Caps.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 26, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Ovie did not do the right thing pushing the camera.

However, it is not anything substantial at all. He pushed the camera to the side. The camera never fell or left the person's hand. It was clear that it was a light push of the camera as Ovie kept on walking. The camera didn't break so no damage was caused.

Before anyone gets all legal here on suing Ovie, it happened in Canada and not the U.S. so it is under Canadian law. U.S. law has nothing to do with any legal ramifications (civil or criminal) that he could possibly face.

If he gets suspended for that then Kane should've been suspended for the year for the cab driver incident. I highly doubt there is any sort of reprimand, especially since it took place during the Olympic break which is the contractual equivalent of the off-season, so he was in not representing his team on that occassion.

That kind of camera pushing happens all the time in Hollywood (with paparazzi) and does anyone remember Tiger Woods' caddy? He would grab and SMASH cameras yet somehow most people thought that was fine (I thought he crossed the line doing that).

Posted by: sgm3 | February 26, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I watched video again. The woman sounds possibly Russian? Hard to make out. Alex may need to get on top of this story before it gets worse. If she was press and had been hounding him all week, he should tell it like it is. However, if she's just a "fan", its not good.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 26, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, y’all can go about your business. Move along...move along.

Posted by: HappyWeagle | February 26, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

Unfortunately, the video is causing quite a sensation at the moment, between Puck Daddy; etc. And now we have a write from "The Hockey News" calling for him to get suspended. How crazy is that?

Yes, Ovi was too upset to think clearly at that moment. But I would consider the incidents involving Patrick Kane to be worse judgment.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

@kcbrichmond, Yes, she's speaking in Russian, apparently saying, "don't break" meaning the camera.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

If the person who put the camera in Ovi's face was a fan and Ovi pushed it away, that's fine. Not inappropriate in any way IMO and certainly not illegal. If the person with the camera is a paparazzi, my only objection was that Ovi should have knocked her down.

Now, from what I've seen of the sanity (or lack thereof) of Canadian hockey fans, it would not be surprising if some enterprising Vancouver prosecutor were to try to bring criminal charges against Ovi.

Posted by: zmega | February 26, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

the truth of the matter is we have no idea what these guys are really like, we like to think they're all as nice as they appear when they're in a good mood but we know better.

there was an incident a couple years ago involving Carl Edwards who's about the most affable and easy-going driver in nascar, so most of us thought. after a race at martinsville, Va, someone videotaped Edwards about to throw a punch at Matt Kenseth who is his teammate at Roush/Fenway Ford. He held back the punch and walked away but after the tape surfaced on youtube, you began to hear stories that the real Carl Edwards was closer to the one about to throw a punch at his teammate than the affable, easy-going one that a lot of people liked.

personally I don't really care if they're nice or jerks... as long as they produce and don't do anything criminal, I couldn't care less

Posted by: joek443 | February 26, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

One of the more amusing aspects of this is the comparison to the Milbury confrontation with the blogger in DC, which was much worse. I don't remember the Hockey News getting their panties all twisted up over that.

Posted by: zmega | February 26, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Great post, Tom. Especially on the "judge or be judged" part. And treating our neighbor like ourselves.

On the "treating our neighbor as ourselves", it seems that the media seems to violate that rule all the time. Yes, newspapers and TV have deadlines to make. But in our everyday life, we tread much more carefully with someone (a co-worker or family member) who's having a horrible day. Many times we know to leave them alone and give them time to cool down and talk later. The press doesn't always do that with athletes.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

zmega: Since no police officer apparently saw the incident happen, you couldn't have charges unless the "victim" were willing to swear out a complaint and serve as witness.

(This is how it is with domestic violence, a worse thing, so surely would apply here.)

A criminal charge requires a trial and a guilty verdict, unanimous, by a jury of one's peers.

So I'd guess they'd get 12 Canadian NHLers to sit for the jury.

A more likely occurrence, as it usually happens these wonderful days, is a civil trial (aka "lawsuit"). A civil trial requires not a unanimous guilty verdict, beyond reasonable doubt, from the jury. It simply requires I believe a judgment and an award value.

(Can the Hollywood movie be far behind? Hey, I'll be living near Hollywood soon, I can watch them film!)

The book will be released tomorrow. Gloria Allred has contacted the photographer and thought her last name would help her in court; alas, she hasn't passed the bar in B.C.

In the words of one Sydney Crosby: "Like it or lump it, we get hounded by these people all the time. Some people don't mind it; me, I don't like it at all. I'm with Ovi on this one."

There you go. Syd ain't such a bad guy after all.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 26, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Didn't I read somewhere that Crosby has a bodyguard?

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

By the way, when I was young, and in college, majoring in political theory, I thought, you know, that one day I might want to serve the greater good and run for Congress.

Yes, I fancied myself on the Capitol steps, conversing eargerly with other like-minded Congressional servants who cared only for the good of the public.

Now that I'm a little older (operative word: "little") and have a little experience (op word: "little") and, having watched congresspersons on tv for all these years, and having read so much about how they operate, I have thought that I would rather spend many days sitting in bar so that I can be served.

You know, I make light of this, and try to be funny, but it really isn't. The camera thing is a microcosm of the world.

My wine bottle is empty. I believe I will serve not my fellow man in total but one dude who makes and sells the wine and uncork another. I wish you all were here (except the trolls of course) and we could share it. Of course the bottle wouldn't last long but then again I have many bottles. A man may be judged by his wine collection. And I judge with each glass I drink.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 26, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Another thing, we have no idea if the girl was even touched. Ovie was talking on his cell phone and put his other hand on the camera. That means the person was not touched by his hands (so he did not SHOVE the camera person) and with how quickly it took place he did it as walking by it did not appear as if he made any body contact with the camera person.

In addition, judging by the lack of reaction of the people he was with along with the lack of reaction of bystanders, it is safe to assume that no physical altercation took place and all that occurred was a pushed (not broken) camera. That hardly seems grounds for even a complaint much less anything else.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 26, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Good grief. What a lot of hooey. Watch the video. One hand on the cell phone the other reaches out to turn the camera lense away and down. No body contact is made at all. The video did come out through a Russian gossip source and the person taping certainly was either hired or sold the video to the gossip source. This is not some innocent bystander. They are in what appears to be a narrow hallway inwhat I took to be a part of the arena. It did not appear to be a public area--no one else was around. But the outcry on the part of Frazer etc is ridiculous tho' let us remember that THN is Canadian first. I watched yesterday and thought bleh--Ovi's going to get bad press for this. But really suspension, charges, and media crap. People who hate Ovi will just use this as more rational to hate but we fans don't have to play into the hype. No one has any info beyond the video and the evidence doesn't sustantiate anything criminal. It is a bad PR moment. Just a really bad moment with a serious lapse of judgement. If anything it tells me that Ovi is hurting more than we can imagine and someone like GMGM or Nate needs to get him out of Vancouver. We have a Stanley Cup and this will blow over.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 26, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

Yes, it says Ovi is hurting more than we can imagine. Agree that GMGM or Nate need to get him out of Vancouver and pronto.

This whole incident will probably blow over -- when next week's crisis occurs.

Calling for a suspension is totally ridiculous. (I wonder what Frazer would do if everyone wanted to follow him around after a totally embarrassing incident and, not only that, not leave him alone.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

so if a female fan is standing in a public place talking pictures of OV it is ok for the Russian Machine to walk up to her a shove her camera .........what a joke...the bigger joke is how many of you are saying its ok....a great ambassador for hockey and the Caps organization....shame on Ov and those of you that say its ok

Posted by: wendel2 | February 26, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse