Posted at 11:46 PM ET, 03/ 3/2011

Jason Arnott's first goal with Capitals clinches a 3-2 victory over the Blues

By Katie Carrera

There were numerous reasons why the Capitals' 3-2 win over the St. Louis Blues on Thursday night was important: Washington moved to within one point of Southeast Division-leading Tampa Bay and just six from Philadelphia atop the Eastern Conference; they won consecutive home games for the first time since late November and clinched a third straight victory for their longest winning streak in 2011; and Michal Neuvirth earned his 21st victory to set a new franchise record for wins by a rookie goaltender, to name a few.

But it was also a game in which all four of the Capitals' lines, which have been so famously tinkered with by Coach Bruce Boudreau throughout the year, showed signs of jelling and dominating play.

Those lines: Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble; Laich-Arnott-Semin; Chimera-Johansson-Sturm; and Hendricks-Gordon-Bradley.

"I didn't have to move them," Boudreau said. "I especially liked Arnott, Semin and Laich. I think they like playing with each other and hopefully -- Who am I kidding? I'm going to change it at one point. Hopefully for a while I can keep them together."

Yes, that brought laughter out of nearly everyone in Boudreau's postgame news conference.

On the serious side, though, veteran center Jason Arnott appears to be fitting well with second-line staples Brooks Laich and Alexander Semin -- through two games, anyway.

Boudreau pointed out Arnott's instinct to swing out a little wide of the Blues' cage when on the two-on-one with Semin in order to set himself up for an easy one-timer that proved to be the game-winner as something that the Capitals have missed this season. He also not surprised that the 36-year-old is acclimating quickly.

"He's been around this league for a long time," Boudreau said. "I think he's being used in a different situation than he was for most of the year. I think he's excited about playing."

Arnott said after his first game with Washington -- on Tuesday against the Islanders -- that he believed communication was key to adjusting to his new linemates, particularly Semin, and he's not shy about making sure they're on the same page.

""We're creating a little chemistry, getting to know each other," Arnott said of his line. "We were talking a lot on the bench and even with Sash, we're talking to him and he's talking to us. It's important to communicate to find out how guys are and little plays around the rink. If we keep that up hopefully our chemistry will keep going."

As for the other combinations, the familiar group of Alex Ovechkin with Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Knuble combined for Washington's second goal on a play where none of them seemed content to give up on the puck. Ovechkin and Knuble chipped it forward until Backstrom had a chance to swat the puck out of mid-air.

The 'Wheels' line, as Mike Vogel called it, of Jason Chimera, Marcus Johansson and Marco Sturm had a handful of great chances thanks to their speed. Then there's the grinding line of Matt Hendricks, Boyd Gordon and Matt Bradley -- regardless of who has been on the fourth line this year it's been rather consistent in its ability to set up down low and work away against opponents.

By Katie Carrera  | March 3, 2011; 11:46 PM ET
Categories:  Bruce Boudreau, Jason Arnott, St. Louis Blues
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Open thread: Capitals vs. Blues
Next: Note of the night from the Capitals' win against St. Louis

Comments

Yup. Fire GMGM. The deadline moves look horrible so far.

Posted by: johnqpublic1 | March 3, 2011 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Go Caps.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | March 3, 2011 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Semin's better all-around play has a lot to do with Arnott as the 2nd line center. Think of the analogy of a big-time NBA scorer who needs a good set up man who knows where he likes it for his shots. You could sense the Semin has been frustrated playing with MoJo/Perrault and trying to go one on one or taking bad penalties. The last two games he's bad a number of great scoring opportunities, many that start with Arnott getting him the puck or keeping the defense honest. You can also tell that Semin responds better when he's playing with experienced players.

Great moves by GMGM but wish he'd done this over a month ago. I've been surprised also by Wideman's D and his ability to break up scoring chances. Carlson has been awful the last 2 games and looks like he has hit the wall. Alzner's strong play has bailed the Caps out on the odd man rushes.

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 4, 2011 12:29 AM | Report abuse

What fun! Such an exciting game. Isn't it great to watch the Caps do the hitting, shoving, pinching and push-downs? Looks like we're ready for the Flyers.

Only problem we had was Center Ice/Comcast sound: Joe B./Locker commentary was barely audible. However, hearing so much ice and crowd noise increased the excitement level - even as we sat 2,500 miles away.

Go Caps!

Posted by: OccasionalCritic | March 4, 2011 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Lets Go Caps!

Posted by: DCSPORTSFANATIC | March 4, 2011 12:56 AM | Report abuse

@ Occasional - I know. Center Ice was terrible tonight.

Great game! GO CAPS!

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | March 4, 2011 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Yup. Fire GMGM. The deadline moves look horrible so far.

Posted by: johnqpublic1 | March 3, 2011 11:51 PM

I will try to be kind.

Sometimes in life people try your patience so much. Like, so much.

But I will think back to the days in grammar school as tommyindetroit when I had heros like Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr and how they taught us to love and forgive.

And how Someone burned that one concept so deep in my mind: "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

So, johnqpublic1, I will refrain from wondering how you can judge the body of work of McPhee over 13 years by the decisions he made in one single day.

Otherwise we could take say the decisions he made on draft day in 98, 99, 00, 01, 03 or 05; or the deadline deals he made in 10; and just him thusly, and harshly.

OK, fine, Arnott. In rejoinder, Pokulok.

Do you know who Pokulok is?

In the end it is really so much simpler to join one crowd or another and just go with them. Or you can do like Christine McVee I think it was who sang and go your own way.

With the Caps these days it is the same thing. They were floundering. Now they have new blood. With Arnott I believe, especially, there is a very good possibility. We'll see.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | March 4, 2011 1:04 AM | Report abuse

@ Occasional - I know. Center Ice was terrible tonight.

Great game! GO CAPS!

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | March 4, 2011 12:57 AM

Funny. Sound was muffled but it was the best picture I ever had from Center Ice std def. Other game I checked also had better picture quality but sound was OK.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | March 4, 2011 1:08 AM | Report abuse

So why is it that most people in life don't care at all or don't care enough to bother with posting on these blogs?

Both, in a sense.

What we have is the continual conflict in all of us between the uniformity of belief and the dichotomy of thought. So we simply align in a group because it is as with electricity the path of the least resistance.

Let's go Caps.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | March 4, 2011 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Who are you guys kidding? We get bounced early again post season and GMGM and BB will be on the bubble even if we finish the season losing only 3 more games. This team has to win The Cup. How long are we going to take the "wait til next year" bull $#!+ and keep tweaking. Remember what GMGM and Leonsis said after the Poti and Koslov acquisitions, that we were done rebuilding? We have to make it to the finals at the least or I punt on the Caps and spend my disposable income elsewhere since '75.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | March 4, 2011 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Tom, it was Lindsey Buckingham who sang Go Your Own Way.

Posted by: Steph22 | March 4, 2011 1:56 AM | Report abuse

I want to register my vote that GMGM not be fired. And also my vote that Bruce Boudreau not be fired. I think they are both better than most of the others in their positions. I don't think finding better is very likely. My vote is that they remain GM and coach for LIFE. That's right. I said it.

I've never been more entertained by a hockey team than I was last season. I've never seen a Capitals team hoist the Presidents' Trophy or otherwise win the regular season league title before. The year the Caps went on a roll at the end of the year to just barely squeak into the playoffs after acquiring Huet, Fedorov, and Cooke--that too was very exciting. The year in between those two was also very exciting and entertaining. I've been watching since at least 1976.

And I think that there is a lot of randomness about the playoffs just like there normally is in any series of 4 to 28 games, re in which order the wins and the losses arrange themselves. There is a lot to like about watching the playoffs, for sure, but it's not a very reliable test of how good your GM and coach are and how likely they are to put together good performances in future regular seasons or in future playoffs. It's really kind of silly, when thought of as a competency exam. It's a silly way to test it. It's silly. Yes, that's right. It's silly, and you know it's true. The regular season is a better test, and they clearly aced the better of the two kinds of tests last year.

I realize the ostensible ultimate point of this exercise is to win 16 games in the playoffs, but really the point of me bothering to watch it is for my own entertainment, and GM and BB have been giving that to me in heavy doses like I've never had it before. Not so much this year, but I think that has something to do with them trying to optimize the chances of not getting caught with a bad match-up in the playoffs. Focusing on team defense more, I think, might help kind of even out the ups and downs a bit. This year the regular season feels more like a practice for the big event rather than the event itself. I'm willing to give them the leeway to try out their ideas and see if it seems to help any when it comes to playoffs time. Honestly, I'd rather have more entertaining games to watch right now, but, it's entertaining enough--more than most years in Capitals history. I don't think this year is the way things will always be. I think some players are adjusting to a new way of doing things, and I think there may be some undisclosed minor nagging injury things we don't know about going on with Ovie and company. I really think Ovie may have hurt his hand at some point, maybe in that fight early in the season. Or something. We now know Semin was hurt at some point and was trying to play with that hurt for who knows how long during his slump. Backstrom's hand is definitely hurt, at least right now.

I'm not worried. Let's go Caps!

Posted by: youaresquishy | March 4, 2011 2:59 AM | Report abuse

Alright, where's vt to spin us some cock-and-bull story about how John Erskine single handedly won us this game???

I'm especially looking forward to this one after yet another one Erskine's ill-advised pinches at the offensive blueline sprung Crombeen on the 2-on-1 that gave St. Louis a 2-1 lead 2:06 after the Caps tied it up. Come playoff time we won't recover as easily from Erskine's stupid blueline pinches.

Please Get Well Soon Mike Green or Tom Poti, it doesn't matter as long as one of you gets back ASAP to put "Johnny Rockstar" on patrol in the Press Box where he belongs.

Posted by: CapsNut | March 4, 2011 6:04 AM | Report abuse

Caps call up Holtby? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Posted by: Dirtbag359 | March 4, 2011 6:28 AM | Report abuse

" You had me at no problem"

Posted by: bricucci | March 4, 2011 6:29 AM | Report abuse

Carlson and Erskine need a day off, though we know only one will get it. They've exceeded our expectations but now they're looking run down.

So far, I'm really liking our acquisitions--especially the ones we paid for! Arnott is working well with Laich and I love that it seems he's forcing Sasha to engage. And how 'bout that PP!

Posted by: mcintire_will | March 4, 2011 6:34 AM | Report abuse

folks,

happy friday CI peeps

last nite was the best game the caps have played in a while

all the folks that were bashing semin have disappeared, nice

could be that arnott is the 2C that semin needed desperately ?

you tell me.

Posted by: hessone | March 4, 2011 6:45 AM | Report abuse

@hessone: yes, I totally agree that Semin needed a 2C and that's one reason he's looking so much better lately. Don't forget, though, that he played through an injury for much of the season and that was another reason he didn't look so good. I only wish he'd had a hat trick for his birthday last night!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | March 4, 2011 7:00 AM | Report abuse

"Joe B./Locker commentary was barely audible."

Some would call that a feature, not a bug.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | March 4, 2011 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Im so excited for this weekend too. Doing the SFLA games in sunrise and Tampa. Hope to pick up the 4 points. Will be tailgating in the parking lot...come one come all Caps fans!

@tominsocal- you planning on doing the Sfla trip in the near future??

@ johnathan6- no need to park at sawgrasss man, free parking at bankatlantic...

Posted by: OVIHtrick8 | March 4, 2011 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Bartolo1 and anyone watching the game from afar: I watched the game on Directv 642 since it was blacked out on Centerice here in MD and the audio was fine. Those that couldn't hear it well, consider yourselves lucky, Locker was extra giddy and rambling about non-hockey crap more than usual. Did anyone else in the local area have problems with the broadcast?

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 4, 2011 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts...

Sturm looks like he is about 1-2 weeks from getting it together and putting those chances he is getting to good use. I think he will be like a faster Fehr on a good day.

Arnott looked great, he hustles every shift, and Wideman has been solid!

Carlson has been a liability this past week! I feel bad for Alzner b/c he is doing the right things, but Carlson is making very careless plays.

Yes...shame on Ovie/Backs for that goal...but even Gretzky made mistakes now and again.

Still want to see more net presence and the caps have to work on their entries.

If they could also work on being awake for the FIRST period as well as the 2nd and 3rd, well that would be swell!

TB lost...Caps now have a legit shot at taking the SE...though I wouldn;t mind facing a crosby and malkinless pitt in the first round!

Posted by: capscoach | March 4, 2011 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Tominsocal...I am responding to your previous post about GMGM. If you look at GMGM's body of work from 98-03, you are 100% hands down correct. He should have been canned after the 2003 season. Poor drafts and allowing the team to get old happened on his watch. However, todays current team is constructed of players HE drafted. So we can say he got nothing for 4 years. Then he either figured it out, or got some better scouts. I dunno. But I looked at the drafts since '04 and this is what I have for his body of work.

04 - OV, Shultz, Green, (Lepisto-traded but still an NHL regular)
05 - zip , nada nothing
06 - Backstrom, Varly, Neuvy, Perrault
07 - Alzner
08 - Carlson, Holtby
09 - Mojo, Orlov, Eakin
10 - Kuznetsov, Galiev, Grubauer

While its waaay too early to judge the 09-10 drafts, they seem to have potential. So while I agree that I don't want the GM who was here from 98-03, I sure as shiatzu want the guy that has drafted since 04, even with the 2005 dud class.

That's my two cents. Please feel free to say I don't know hockey or am out of my mind. I'm not a hockey expert, I only play one on TV. Go Caps!

Posted by: jimc93 | March 4, 2011 7:56 AM | Report abuse

LIKE IT AR-NOTT....HEAR COME THE CAPS AFTER FIRST PLACE!

1 point behind!

Schultz should sit. Erskine should play sparingly.

Fehr stinks, though his last 10 games have been his best all year. ;)

NOBODY SHOULD BE EXEMPT FROM TODAY'S PRACTICE....

PS> I hope Beagle is good at faceoffs, Caps may need him when Gordon gets hurt.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | March 4, 2011 8:07 AM | Report abuse

"My problem is that I'm just not like most people, who decide which path to take and start walking; whether Christian or Muslim you decide and walk; whether Democratic or Republican you decide and walk; whether Dark Sider or Sunshine Kid you do the same. Some of us though refuse to prescribe to anything; rather, we sit on the fence and sometimes lean one way, sometimes the other, never certain, just trying to figure it all out, wondering why everyone else always gets so dogmatic in the way they are, when the truth is that nobody really knows anything."
- Posted by: tominsocal1
Mr. tominsocal1, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2011 8:07 AM | Report abuse

HESSONE...

Semin is an incredibly SKILLED player. Most believe he is more skilled than Ovechkin.

HOWEVER, he is extremely lazy and is horrible in the defensive end. His errors on defense are nicely covered up by a real center (not Perrault) and Laich (who I think is benefiting more from Arnott's presence).

Furthermore, he rarely backchecks, though tonight he probably saved a goal on that terrible call by the official (hooking).

He's moody and streaky, let's hope he is now in a good mood...and this is when his streak STARTS and hope it ends in mid-June..

I still would look to move him this summer. We can get some good hardworking skill North American boys that will be more all around complete players...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | March 4, 2011 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Loves how all of a sudden all the posters that I've been reading all season bash George McPhee all of a sudden are posting kind messages about him.

It really is true my fellow Caps fans, "if they knew anything about the game they would be in it."

McPhee has been in the game of hockey his whole life, and seeing how he is in his 50's I'm sure he's learned a little something over the years.

The deadline acquisitions look good so far. Let's go Caps!!!!

Posted by: jcreech1 | March 4, 2011 8:19 AM | Report abuse

The deadline acquisitions look good so far. Let's go Caps!!!!

Posted by: jcreech1 | March 4, 2011 8:20 AM | Report abuse

I have always defended Schultz but I can't anymore. He looks really slow. the first goal was on him. Being at the game you can see how he is killing the team. There a couple of times where he should have bee able to keep the puck in the offensive zone but can't because he is too slow. What is worse is he takes a few steps forward realizes he is too slow and tries to get back. This leads to odd man rushes for the opposition.

Posted by: srobert1117 | March 4, 2011 8:24 AM | Report abuse

jcreech1...there is always room on the bandwagon. Lose a game and see how many fire the coach and GM posts pop up. Like clockwork.

Posted by: jimc93 | March 4, 2011 8:25 AM | Report abuse

srobert1117
First goal was on 8 and 19... either one of them could have caught up to Steen, but they just glided back to the defensive zone.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2011 8:27 AM | Report abuse

@ JIM:

Coach is the only one on the hot seat. Though he finally listened and put OV on the wing on the power play and the PP. And it looked great with Arnott on the point.

George has delivered two very good pieces, one ok one. Up to the coach!

@828...you are right, but if you watch closely, those two CONSTANTLY glide on the backcheck. Great skill players, but they have no regard for backchecking...THE EURO/RUSSIAN WAY! Sorry to say, but its true.

However, Schultz does look terrible. Looks like the Schultz of two seasons ago when he fell on a one on one and cost us a goal and Game 1. SIT HIM!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | March 4, 2011 8:44 AM | Report abuse

- Posted by: tominsocal1

Posted by: _828

Kind of like your post yesterday that getting a DUI makes a person a drunk?? You have absolutely no room to judge anyone's posts.

Posted by: PhilR | March 4, 2011 8:48 AM | Report abuse

This is like the 3rd post that stated Arnott was on the point. After the puck was kept in the zone and players rotated the puck on the half boards Arnott did end up on the point. At the faceoff, Ovi was on the left wing, Arnott took the faceoff, Knubs was on the right wing, Wideman was on the left point and BACKSTROM was on the right point. Am I the only one that saw this?

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 4, 2011 8:52 AM | Report abuse

PhilR - that is from Billy Madison.

As for the DUI thing - why not? People want BB to be fired. If he retired right now, he would have the highest winning percentage of any coach ever to coach in the NHL - really, you are going to fire him - especially with a lot of young talent the Caps have. To me, that is pretty ridiculous. So, why can't I do the same with Hunter being a drunk?

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2011 8:54 AM | Report abuse

But, thanks for playing - you took the bait.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2011 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I like Tom's Hamlet inspired solliquay, although it's a bit dualistic for my thinking. I expect a naunced diatribe from Ol' Tom with this witticisms and literary/historical background. I share his (an assumption, but not a bad one) bi-polarity about this team. They seem to have their ducks in a row for a game, a period, then look totally lost for a period or game (cf. Rags/Atl games). Tom is clearly an analytically minded man (see his profession as defense industry bean-counter) who must shut off certain parts of his ethical brain (will this daisy-cutter save more money than this incendiary, not calculatting how its destructive force will impact human beings), or perhaps I overstep. But clearly Tom is bright, able, humorous, and self-assured. I disagree from time to time with him, but an idiot, hardly.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | March 4, 2011 8:56 AM | Report abuse

A couple thoughts from last nights game and I'm sure I will get crucified for at least one of them....

1. When the PA announcer at VC says to sing the Anthem loudly, proudly, and RESPECTFULLY on a night HONORING our men in uniform can the morons in attendance not understand that this means to NOT do the ignorant, moronic, idiotic RED and OOO chants??? Drives me insane.

2. That first goal was all on Backs and Ovie, I hope that Arnott ripped their a$$'s off for gliding when they should have been skating hard.

3. Brads with a TKO was fun to see.

4. It looks like Arnott is having a really good effect on Semin's game, I just jope it rubs off on some others (see #2 observation).

Posted by: PhilR | March 4, 2011 8:57 AM | Report abuse

fanohock1, that's because Backstrom can't take faceoffs with his finger. Arnott moved to the point after he took the faceoff - or would have on the second faceoff.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2011 8:57 AM | Report abuse

_828,

It makes perfect sense to me. If you note the time of the blog it's 1:04 am EST, that's 10:04 pm PCT. As we all know by now Tom likes to indulge (not passing any judgement here) in the culinary arena and sometimes he waxes prolific (and funny). Here, I think he's just trying to state his philosophy when it comes to supporting the Capitals.

Some of the best posts (for me) on this blog have come from Tom.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | March 4, 2011 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Although Backs, Ovi, and Semin are constantly pointed to as defensive liabilities they have +/- of +19, +15, and +14 respectfully, tops on the team. The Caps as a team are only a +9, so they aren't as crappy as you guys want to saying. Drop the euro junk already, it's f'in old.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 4, 2011 9:00 AM | Report abuse

fanohock,

I believe that was the plan for the PP with Backie's thumb injury it was better for Arnott to take the draw and then change positions with Backs. That was my take anyway.

_828

Don't watch a lot of movies so I would have never gotten your reference there.

Posted by: PhilR | March 4, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Have you people never seen Billy Madison?

jokes, sarcasm - I do not think tom is an idiot.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2011 9:04 AM | Report abuse

@ hessone
Last night was the best the offensive zone pressure, in my recent memory. Hopefully this is not an anamoly but instead a preview of what the changes that were made are going to bring to the team. The PP with Wideman and Arnott on point looked great looking forward to seeing that again.
Does anyone know if carlson is knicked he has seemed to struggle a little the past couple of games?

Posted by: DBnMD | March 4, 2011 9:08 AM | Report abuse

_828,

OK, that's good then. BTW, who's Billy Madison?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | March 4, 2011 9:09 AM | Report abuse

It's still to early to judge GMGM on his recent acquisitions. Team chemistry last night was the best I've seen all year, but let's remember they were playing a Western Conference also-ran! Can the Caps keep hustling like they did last night? What happens after they lose a game? Two? Defending 8 and 19 gliding behind the play: they were waiting for the trailer (Blues' goalie!) to arrive to take the shot! And that's why I ask: Can they keep up the energy?
It's wait and see time. But I did like their style last night. Bolts are next. Go Caps...

Posted by: Jrlobo | March 4, 2011 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Billy was a young man who had to go back to school and get his degree to take over his fathers business.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2011 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Is there practice today and what time? Thanks!

Posted by: BartCrashley | March 4, 2011 9:15 AM | Report abuse

_828,

Yipes, just googled Billy Madison. Completely missed it I'm afraid.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | March 4, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Pretty slow in here this morning....

Posted by: PhilR | March 4, 2011 9:33 AM | Report abuse

PhilR,

Is there anything you would like to discuss?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | March 4, 2011 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Over and out.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | March 4, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

@_828

I got the reference. I almost spit out my coffee. Adam Sandler is one funny dude. It made me think of the SNL commercial for Schlitz Gay that he and farley did, funny stuff!!

Posted by: hbcapsfan | March 4, 2011 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Billy Madison has a lot in common with the Caps, always trying to get a Penguin but never can.

Posted by: icehammer97 | March 4, 2011 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Well Mike Vogel is tweeting that King is not playing. Glad I didn't waste my money on a ticket.

Posted by: timKosecki | March 3, 2011 6:40 PM

Too bad! You missed a good one.

Posted by: Rocka | March 4, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Other then being 10-0-2 against the Pens in the last 12? I realize most Penguin fans cannot count or do simple math but hey good luck with the attempt at being clever.

Has anyone noticed the NHL Diaper drive commercials lately? Looks like with Crosby hurt he needs help with his diapers. Or maybe it's for Mario and the crying he did recently. waaa waaa someone hit my player. I am going to quit. Waa waa waaa

Posted by: Mike4169 | March 4, 2011 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I will try to be kind.

Sometimes in life people try your patience so much. Like, so much.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | March 4, 2011 1:04 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------------

Im a bit surprised and admittedly a bit confused as to why my opinion about GMGM disturbs you so much that you have to "try to be kind", or why you seem to assume that I am a bandwagon fan who knows nothing of GMGM's history, the history of the Caps, or the League, when in reality, while no expert, I have followed the Caps closely for the last 30 years. Just because I don't post all day every day, it does not mean I don't know what Im talking about, or that i am not allowed an opinion, it simply means I have better things to do with my time.

So in reply, yes, I do know who Sasha Pokulok was. If I'm not mistaken he is now playing in Germany. If you want to cite his draft picks (specifically Pokulok) from the years you chose as proof of his failures, that is your right, however I would counter that during those draft years, the Caps had a total of 5 picks in the first round, 2 of which (Sutherby and Fehr) went on to become regulars, and another (Finley) who is still in our system and got good reviews at this summers camp. Further, I count in those draft years at least 5 other players who have become NHL regulars with the Caps or other teams. Then of course there are the good years that produced, in order, Eminger, Semin, B Gordon, Fehr, Ovie, Shultz, Green, Borque, A Gordon, Backstrom, Varly, Neuvy, Perrault, Alzner, Carlson, and Johansson, all of whom are have been Caps regulars, not to mention the numerous highly touted (for what it is worth) prospects we have and the depth in Hershey. So while you harp on the failure of one player as proof of GMGM's failure, I simply look at the flip side, and see his picks as successes in general. After all, it isnt like Pokulok is the first or only #1 pick to bomb, for us under Poile or before, (see Baumgartner, Kharmalov, Vochkov, Svejkovsky etc).

Further, under GMGM the Caps have had 6 40 win seasons, 5 Southeast division Championships (compared to 1 Patrick Division Title), and advanced to the Final for the only time in their History. He is also largely responsible for what I would consider a very successful rebuild. As well as good deadline deals 2 of the last 3 years. I will admit that the 2010 deadline deals were crap, and said as much when they happened.

So while I understand frustrations with recent oustings from the playoffs, and some disappointing deals I think that as a whole his tenure here has been positive. I also think after watching them play this year that despite their struggles, they are a better all around team that is set up to do well in the future.

Anyway, I have wasted too much of my time on this as it is. Hopefully it wasnt too hard to be kind to me. And hopefully we can agree to have a difference of opinion without you getting too upset about me disagreeing with you.

Posted by: johnqpublic1 | March 4, 2011 10:31 AM | Report abuse

AMEN! That is sooooo old. This ain't Baltimore, folks! And you make yourselves look ignorant.

Posted by: stwasm | March 4, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

HISTORY LESSON!!!
Let's just be clear... although he flamed out, Jim Carey is the best rookie goalie in Caps history.
He just didn't have enough games in his "official" rookie year.

1994–95 Washington Capitals GAMES: 28 W-18 L-6 T-3 2.13GAA

Posted by: Timo17 | March 4, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimc93 | March 4, 2011 7:56 AM

Can't disagree w/you at all, but I was responding to a person who was solely judging McPhee it seems on two trades and a waiver pick-up.

JIMALLCAPS: Thanks. Reason for duality it was half me talking half Bombay Sapphire. And I never worry about what they do with the stuff that I bean count. There are people with 4 stars on each shoulder to decide that.

OVIHattrick: No plan for South FL. I will probably hang out in Titusville for a week in summer to visit the beach gang.

_828: I've heard of James Madison, not Billy.

johnq: Good response there. I think I went overboard with you, because maybe there were a number of people who defend McPhee no matter what he does and maybe you were just the proverbial straw. So, sorry if it seemed like it was all at you.

BTW, there have been 165 NHL Playoff Rounds starting in 1999 and the Caps have won 1. Just by random odds 30 teams they should have 5.5. One could conclude that's some pretty lousy GMing. And, no, you didn't waste your time. I'm on the fence, struggling, going back and forth, right now with the Sunshine Kids.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | March 4, 2011 10:50 AM | Report abuse

@ Tom, The guys with 4 Stars should only be making decisions to use weapons with the OK of the pols, which is yet another brood of vipers to address...
To use or not to use, that is the question, whether tis better to use the slings and arrows to the blast yon enemies into their own outrageous fortunes, to make them into the quienessence of dust

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | March 4, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@BernieWolfeFan - no they don't have to win the Cup. The rebuild WAS complete when they signed Kozlov and Poti. The team went from "seller" and non-playoff to legitimate Cup contender year in and year out.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | March 4, 2011 11:44 AM | Report abuse