Stars Poke Fun at NBA Ref Scandal

Okay, I know I just said I wouldn't be updating the blog often, but you've got to see this one (if you haven't already).

Check this out from ESPN:

The Dallas Stars may have already taken themselves out of the running for the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy -- the NHL's award for "sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct."
As part of the team's "come into the cold" ad campaign to sell seats for 2007-08, the Stars took a shot at the NBA's referee scandal on a billboard near the American Airlines Arena, the building the Stars share with the Dallas Mavericks.
The message? "The only thing our refs shave is the ice."
But Mavericks owner Mark Cuban didn't seem to mind, according to the Dallas Morning News.
"I think it's hysterical," Cuban told the newspaper. "Good for them. It's a fun ad."

Too funny. I almost died when I read that.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  August 31, 2007; 2:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Canada Goes Up 3-0
Next: The Boys are Back in Town

Comments

First! Can we do that on the Caps postings?

Posted by: Billy | August 31, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I think Cuban's response should have been *cough*Rick Tocchet*cough*.

Posted by: zamboni | August 31, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:

Why don't your hyperlinks show up in Google Reader like Ted's do from his blog? Could you have your tech folks look into that?

Thanks,

Steve in Jersey

Posted by: Steve in Jersey | August 31, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Hehehe, wonderfully snarky. I hope it works for them. I'm not suprised Cuban wasn't offended. He's never been one dislike a good ad campaign. I hope he really does get to buy the Cubs and a hockey team.

Posted by: EricS | August 31, 2007 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Coincidentally Alex Ovechkin talks about basketball too :-)

Posted by: alexovetjkin | September 1, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

In ridiculous sign news, I walked by where the new NHL flagship store will be in NYC yesterday (6th Ave and 47th Midtown).

They have a two story Crosby billboard on the window to promote it, no other players.

As a hockey fan it soured me on the concept. I'm sure a lot NY-NJ hockey fans that see it more often feel the same.

Posted by: slappy | September 2, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Slappy, last time I walked by the NHL's coming store a few months back, there were 3 big posters, Brodeur, Ovechkin, and Lecavlier, so it hasn't been comletely crosby-centric the whole time it's been under construction.

Posted by: FS | September 3, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

All I have to say to that is:

Game 3, Tampa vs. Caps, 2003

Posted by: Sapper | September 3, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Good to know FS.
I wish I'd seen that.

Posted by: slappy | September 3, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Glad that Cuban showed a keen sense of humor there, unlike Leonsis whining about coverage awhile back.
Good for you Mark!

Posted by: caphcky | September 4, 2007 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I forgot to mention Cuban also has a way cute booty.

Posted by: caphcky | September 4, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse