Stat of the Day

The entire Caps' defensive corps tonight--Shaone Morrisonn, Milan Jurcina, Bryan Helmer, Tyler Sloan, Sami Lepisto Karl Alzner--has a total of 669 NHL games to its credit.

Montreal defensemen Roman Hamrlik and Patrice Brisbois have played 1,096 and 964 games, respectively.

Coach Bruce Boudreau's take?

"It's a great challenge," Boudreau said. "That's how I look it, seriously. We don't like the situation, but man if you're a guy that was always an underdog, or a guy who was always called up from the minors or a guy was never supposed to make it, these are the days when you get to prove that you're as good as everybody else. It's stuff like that, that makes me keep going."

There could be a political career waiting for Boudreau when he's done coaching. But seriously, what else is he going to say? He's got a game to play tonight and he's without eight players who were on the opening night roster.

If there ever was a time to rally the troops, that time would be now.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 28, 2008; 11:19 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Recall Helmer (Updated)
Next: Scouting Bryan Helmer

Comments

Well...The fan base is nursing a full stomach, but we will be ready to go tonight.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 28, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Boudreau seems to always have the right thing to say. Hopefully he'll rally the Caps to a win tonight.

We're gonna need big offensive output.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | November 28, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Rudy is on tv right now. I'll take that as a good sign.

Posted by: honed | November 28, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Just a note on tomorrow. The Blue Jackets are in Detroit tonight. They wont have any rest advantages for the game vs. us.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 28, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Rudy?

Posted by: large23220 | November 28, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Tarik:
I had to chuckle when I saw that you included Bryan Helmer's age twice ... were you trying to make a point? :-)

Posted by: Boo- | November 28, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I still think mngt should find Heward. I liked that guy.
Good luck, boys. Just do your best, thats all i ask.

Posted by: oo7 | November 28, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

oo7:
I liked Heward, too, and I think he was a good vet influence on the younger D men. In fact, I remember reading that he was a natural born coach. So he may not have been the best D man that we ever had, but he was definitely good for the youngins. I was disappointed to see him go.

Posted by: Boo- | November 28, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

@007,

Unfortunately, Jamie Heward won't be available. On Wednesday, Tampa Bay reassigned him to their AHL Norfolk affiliate.

Posted by: Terptwin | November 28, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

@ 007

I think Jamie Heward is now with Tampa Bay.

Posted by: _LFR | November 28, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Heward isn't available. He is part of the Tampa organization. He is on their AHL team, the Norfolk Admirals. He did get a call-up to the Bolts recently, but I think he has gone back to Norfolk.

Posted by: NovaCath | November 28, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice that the injury bug bit us like this right after Semin's comments on Crosby?

Just sayin'....

ANYWAY.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 28, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

So, Ovie for 5 goals tonight.

/obvious

Posted by: EricCarr | November 28, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I would really like to see the scoring spread around tonight. For us, mind, not Montreal.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 28, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh, don't get me wrong - I'd like to see it spread around too. But it seemed on Wednesday that Ovie put the team on his back and willed it to victory. I'm just thinking he's got some more of that in him.

Posted by: EricCarr | November 28, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I think that Caps are going to win tonight by rallying together just like Coach says. A team of hungry kids and vets with something to prove... a little chip on the shoulder never hurt in this case.

PREDICTION:

CAPITALS 5 - MONTREAL 3
Ovechkin (2)
Backstrom
Bourque
Bradley

Jose plays solid and makes the stops we need, and Ovie does his thing with solid play from the Hershey boys.

See you at the rink!

Posted by: Roose | November 28, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Is Al Iafrate still alive? We could sign him...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | November 28, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse