Statistical analysis: Will Alexander Semin remain a Capital?

By Neil Greenberg
Statistical analysis

Alexander Semin's pace for a career-best 59-goal, 104-point season may not have gotten him on the All-Star ballot, but it is sure to get him on the radar of teams looking to add offense when his one-year deal with the Capitals expires at the end of this season.

In the post-lockout era, building a Stanley Cup contending hockey team includes not only signing great talent but also doing so in a cheap and efficient manner. Replacing a scoring talent like Semin, however, is challenging simply because there are not many 40-goal scorers in the NHL. Since the lockout, almost twice as many wingers have scored between 20 and 30 goals compared to the 30 to 40-goal plateau of Semin. Those who have done it multiple seasons are rarer still and almost never hit the open market.

ProductionOnceTwiceThree timesFour timesTotal players
20 to 30 goals58332413128
30 to 40 goals42123259

How much would it take to keep Semin? If he he continues to strike fear in the hearts of opposing goalies, the Capitals may not be able to afford him -- especially with eight unrestricted free agents (including Brooks Laich, Matt Bradley, Mike Knuble and Tomas Fleischmann), restricted free agents Karl Alzner and Semyon Varlamov and Mike Green's contract expiring a year later.

Frustrating fans and general managers alike is that since the lockout, unrestricted free agent wingers saw a significant drop in production (15 percent less on average) and ice time (8 percent) in the first year of their new contracts - almost returning to their scoring levels the year before free agency.

GPGAPtsShotsTOIG/gmPts/gm
Year before692228501761201.70.310.72
UFA Year742633591931340.30.350.79
Year after701928461671229.00.270.67

Ultimately, playoff performance and contract demands will determine Semin's fate in Washington, but the fact that teams spent 20 percent more last summer on unrestricted free agents than the summer before leads me to believe the Caps should require a significant hometown discount in order to keep their other Russian gamebreaker for years to come.

Neil Greenberg also writes for Russian Machine Never Breaks. You can follow him on Twitter here.

By Neil Greenberg  | November 15, 2010; 1:35 PM ET
Categories:  Alexander Semin, Statistical analysis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alexander Semin named NHL's third star of the week
Next: Capitals get a rare practice day

Comments

I'm sure it would take quite a bit of time to research, but it would be interesting to see how many from each group are signed and how many are traded in their last contract year.

Posted by: Padow1 | November 15, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I will hold to my prediction from yesterday - they announced Jan 1 or 2 (during WC would be great) that he has signed a 5-yr deal at $6.7M/yr to match Backie contract amount. It might take a little more, maybe $7.0M even, and who's to quibble over a few bucks.

If he wants more than that, Caps might just let him go, and he knows he won't be as happy elsewhere.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 15, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I asked yesterday, maybe people could comment, if you could have one or the other, Semin or Carter, which player do you choose?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 15, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

82% of all statistics don't take the human factor into consideration. furthermore, the remaining 18% are 50% made up. in conclusion - i'm 100% right or wrong.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 15, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

If Semin gets 59 goals and 104 pts in addition to the way he has played defensively this year and we DONT resign him...GMGM should not only step down but be publicly flogged, caned, placed in the stocks so we can throw rotten tomatoes at him, dowsed in red paint by PETA, etc.

Quite frankly he needs to be re-signed even if he only hits last years numbers give or take. The guy is a beast, and will prove the naysayers of that this year when he scores the big playoff goals to clinch a series followed by laying out Pronger with a vicious check. You will see HunterforCoach, you will see. And for the record HfC...I fully intend to see some Eakin next year, if not already by the end of this year when JRs are done.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 15, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Semin or Carter, which player do you choose?

Posted by: tominsocal1

i'd keep semin and try to find a carter 'light' to complement him

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 15, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal

I think you knew my vote before you even asked. I'll keep the Seminator.

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ
Actually 50% of the time the stats are right every time. It's known in statistics as the sexpanther anomaly.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 15, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Just don't know if they will be able to afford him and sign Laich, Alzner and Green as well. The rest of that group mentioned doesn't mean a whole lot in my book as there is the talent in the organization to replace them (love Brads but expendable and Knuble looks as if he may be heading for retirement). Varly should sign at a low cap hit due to his injury history and if he is not willing to do so I say deal him at the deadline. I agree that Eakin will be ready for primetime next season so the center position will be filled cheaply other than Backs.

Of the three I mentioned above that should be resigned the one that may be on the way out is Laich as he is in for a hefty raise that can't happen if they plan on keeping Semin and Green.

Posted by: PhilR | November 15, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I say the Caps should do everything they can to keep Sasha-minor. Up until this year he's been an enigma but now...well, he's still an enigma but he's also a freakishly talented scoring machine! Keeping him will also keep his linemates happy, and we don't want his linemates to be unhappy.

Posted by: AmyS1 | November 15, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR
Laich will only get a significant raise if he picks up his play this year. Plus I see him as taking a hometown discount to stay the the "family". He likes the guys and wants to be here. Also, Green we technically dont have to worry about this year...we can put it off til next year.

Having said that, I think he and Semin will be signed for 4-5 years each. I could be wrong, and if I am, I'll just blame it on the Red Goat Snuff (the 50/50 mix of goats blood and kool-aid that is then dried and made into a fine powder that you sniff to get a good buzz...a good little mid-day pick me up). lol

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 15, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I think the LA Kings would be happy to trade one of their young blueliners for Semin.

Posted by: j3rockstar | November 15, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

---------

That's a no-brainer - Semin's quicker, more explosive, and creates time and space for his linemates; Carter does precious little of any of the above when the pace of play picks up [ie the plyaoffs [or international play, for that matter]]. And maybe it's just me but I'm not a huge fan of shoot-first centers, never have been, never will be [try playing on a line with a guy like that against good competition]. Yes Semin was snakebitten last spring but he's still just shy of a PPG in the playoffs, which is quite good.

Plus, Semin doesn't tend to sleep with his teammates girlfriends, always a plus.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 15, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I am not a semin fan, but the fact of the matter is he has looked better than ovechkin this year.

Semin is definately more exciting skill wise, just wish he had ovie's heart.

They should try to keep him...at least for 1 more year.

I don't think there is a player as skilled as he is in the NHL, so a trade right now wouldn't be worth it.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | November 15, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I think Semin's future in Washington is entirely up to him. If he's looking for money, there are plenty clubs that can pay him more than the Caps. If he wants to stay, he will have to take a pay cut mainly due to Green's next contract. The UFAs can either be retained for similar money or be replaced. The RFA don't have much leverage. The problem with asking Semin to take a pay cut is that he'd be the only one on this team who has taken less.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 15, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce

What's interesting is that Laich could have signed his hometown discount contract as of July 1. I wonder if GMGM is thinking of replacing him or if Laich is aiming for big money too.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 15, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

I dont think we are expecting a "cut" just more along the lines of a hometown discount. He is making 6 per now...if he inks 4-5 for 6.7 he wouldnt be taking a cut, but rather staying here for a discounted price. Kind of like Backie did in his deal. He could have gotten more per year elsewhere.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 15, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

don't forget the cap is supposed to go up 3-4 million next year which will help with all the free agents....but most of all our high flying blueliner lumberjack is a free agent

Posted by: _stevo | November 15, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Put me down for keeping Semin. I agree with another poster who said that Sasha's been a more visible player on the ice than even his buddy Ovi. I always thought there was sufficient money to keep Semin?

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 15, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@ SeminAllOverTheIce

Semin could get Gaborik money on the open money. Backstrom has a cap hit of $6.7 million but his pay goes from $6 to $8 million over the life of the contract. Considering that Toews and Kane got $6.3 million for 5 years, I don't think Backstrom could have gotten a better deal than what the Caps were offering. This type of deal would never work for Semin because he is older. His cap hit would be higher unless he is willing to take a discount.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 15, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Semin over Carter, and imo it's not even close.

I've said it for years now, Semin is an exceptional talent. But like with most players, its a matter of whether they will ever realize their potential.

My money has always been on the enigma, even though he is occasionally maddeningly frustrating.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 15, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Semin got killed for last year's playoffs but other than Ovie, Backs, Varly, Poti and Carlson noone played well [Schultz and Steckel got absolutely exposed by MTL's speed and quick puck-movement]. Laich, Knuble, Flash - none of those guys played well - so if GMGM is using that as a rationale for Semin to take a steep hometown discount, he better be consistent with those others as well.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 15, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

That's an interesting question you asked about the coaches.

I think perhaps, particularly in our org., the AHL coach gets a call before NHL assistants. Then the NHL assistants get a call before the AHL assistants.

I also think that it depends on the individuals experience and role on the team.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 15, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

OK, here is cap spreadsheet for next season. I have assumed of course some signings, Semin, Brads, Ersk, Laich and Varly I think are those. This doesn't mean I think all will be back, but it fills the slots to show that everyone fits with SAME (no increase cap).

Ovechkin (2008-2021) 9.538
Neuvirth (2011-2013) 1.150
S/T 2 Goalies 3.150
Total 23 Players 57.725
Cap Space (from 2010-11) 59.400
Available 1.675

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 15, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to go against the grain here and say trade him. Buy low and sell high.

To be honest can we really afford to have that much money tied up in 3 forwards? See Tampa Bay of a couple years ago right after they signed was it Brad Richards who they ended up trading to Dallas anyway? Yes the lightning are on their way back but they've been horrid for a couple years now. At some point you have to restock the system in order to compete year in and year out and Semin is a guy who could bring in a ton especially with the way he is going now.

Yes at some point you have to go all in but I still think they could win multiple cups with Ovie, Green, Backstrom and yes Laich. Laich to me is much more valuable because you always know what you are going to get from him. Every night it is a full effort. He might not always score the flashy goals but he gets it done in the corners. I also feel that he is a heart and soul guy and you can't put a price on that. To me almost a Hunter type player who scores a little bit more.

That all being said I would send Semin so far out west that we only have to see him twice a year.

Posted by: Gozling | November 15, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh, MY BAD!!! That spreadsheet has Flash included from where I had him at earlier. So, you can take out Flash and we have now 4.675 and one opening for a forward.

I have then BGordo, Flash and Knuble leaving with Eakin, Beagle and TBD coming in. Of course, Orlov might be about ready for D too at $800K if Erskine goes elsewhere.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 15, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Semin's performance this year is pure contract year effort.

He's a great player, but he could be so much more if he actually played hard consistently. But this is exactly why some team will sign him for too much money, and will regret it-- you won't see him play like this again until his next contract.

The bigger question for the Caps is-- will he actually show up in the playoffs? If he does, and works hard (and scores goals) to help secure his big off-season payoff-- then he will be an asset if we actually go on a cup run. If he's going to be his usual no-show self, trade him at the deadline for major assets. Without a crystal ball, there's no way to know what will happen-- that's the GM's job, and I don't envy it in this case.

Posted by: TheGJ | November 15, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

tominsocal,

If Hendricks continues to play the way he is this year I would put him more in the line of what you have Brads making, they guy has been an outstanding addition. Plus, that only leaves 1.675 in cap as you have it now and there is still no help on the blueline.

Posted by: PhilR | November 15, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

The Caps could afford to pay Oveckin, Backstrom, Semin, and Green, bolster the D, and still contend for the Cup. Look at the payrolls of most contenders like Pittsburgh, Detroit, San Jose, Philly, etc. The difference between those teams and ours is that the Caps have $2 million dollar players in places where other teams spend $500,000-$800,000.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 15, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

PhilR: Yes, but I have Flash included at 3.0. Let's take out Flash and put instead AGordon or one of those Hershey guys or a FA pick-up like Asham at $700K. Now you have a full roster with $4M in space. Now delete Sloan. You have 4.7 for that d man. I'll do another spreadsheet, here, adding a new D-man with Volchenkov's salary:

Ovechkin (2008-2021) 9.538
Neuvirth (2011-2013) 1.150
S/T 2 Goalies 3.150
Total 23 Players 58.775
Cap Space (from 2010-11) 59.400
Available 0.625

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 15, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm a huge Semin fan but I think 6 mil is a very fair price for him. He's liked here, his teammates understand and get him - they may not, elsewhere. And, of course, his being here makes them happier (esp Ovie). I think we offer him another 1 year deal for 6.5 if that's what he prefers, or we offer him more years for 6 or even a tad less. I'll bet that's what they did last year.

It's hard to give the stars all the bucks they may merit without shorting the water carriers who also deserve some rewards.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | November 15, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

tominsocal1:
i'll sit in the press box and eat hot dogs and nachos - and i'll do all that for half of the 'available' money

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 15, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I already admitted that I was now a Semin fan last week and want to see him in DC for many years to come, but if The Kings start throwing around names like Drew Doughty, and Jack Johnson (who are both RFAs at the end of the season) what would you guys do?

Posted by: j3rockstar | November 15, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, and Semin over Carter. He's not lived up to his potential. To paraphrase the lamented voice of SportsCall, "the Flyers make that trade twice and play Semin on two lines...)

Posted by: RedLitYogi | November 15, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention we are banking all the current underage...so come loaner time, we will have quite the stockpile of money to spend via FA (short term).

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 15, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal - good breakdown. Would disagree on Varly tho, I think he goes about 1.5 or else we shake hands and bid him good luck elsewhere. I think Semin in at 6 per, also (at least I hope so...). We need to sign Green, remember and he'll be at least as expensive as Semin.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | November 15, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Semin either plays in D.C, or Russia...no way he plays in another NHL jersey.

He wont even do an english interview...he hates this place...

Anyone remember when he was drafted here, he didnt even show up in the U.S for Rookie Camp?

Posted by: SA-Town | November 15, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

@j3rockstar

You send over Flash disguised in a Semin jersey. Duh.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 15, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

tom-I think Sloan is signed through next season. Unfortunately, I don't think he'll spend that year in Hershey.

Yogi-I disagree. I think Semin is worth closer to $7 million since he will be an UFA. It's hard to ask him to take a discount while paying Ovi, Backstrom, Schultz, Fehr, Laich, Steckel, Sloan and most likely Green at or above market value. Who knows? He may go for it.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 15, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

------------

This is an excellent point, we absolutely overpay for bottom-6 forwards and D, who are mediocre at best.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 15, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

-------------

Really? What about the playoffs? I sure didn't much "going to the net" or "winning puck battles" by him [or Knuble, for that matter] against MTL.

And ftr, Semin is just shy of a PPG guy in the playoffs - despite last spring, and despite never having played with a legit center. Care to wager on whether Laich ever comes close to averaging that in the playoffs, over the course of his career?

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 15, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I think this question doesn't lend itself to statistical analysis. It requires the kind of player-specific cap analysis that Tom does. Factors to be considered beyond his past performance -
* age and where he is on a typical career trajectory for his type of player
* "fit" with team
* available alternative players at his position
* team needs at other positions
* is the player determined to get absolutely top dollar?
* injury-prone/reliability.

I say sign him unless he is asking unreasonable money.

Posted by: zmega | November 15, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Of course, Orlov might be about ready for D too at $800K
----------

He'd be a good addition, that kid's a stud. As is Kuznetzov - he was very impressive every single time I saw him at Kettler last summer. I know some [ok, me] given GMGM a hard time about drafting in years past but getting Kuznetzov where they did [#27, IIRC] was an absolute steal, up there with the Capt. America heist.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 15, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@j3rockstar

the kings will not be throwing doughty's name into any equation that doesn't involve Ovechkin's name too. Johnson yes but they will never let go of Doughty

Posted by: _stevo | November 15, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

at least we hope they are smarter than the redskins......really 78 million for mcnabb

stupid

Posted by: _stevo | November 15, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

SeminAllOverTheIce -
They're both kind of gingerish....that just may work!!

Posted by: j3rockstar | November 15, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm an Orlov fan, but he is not a replacement for Erskine. Orlov will hit people, but he is not a big guy. He's a puck-mover with a good shot from the point. I see him as the third offensive d-man, along with Green and Carlson. What is missing in the longer term is a third defense-first d-man, after Schultz and Alzner. Actually, in a perfect world, the latter guy would be better than Schultz and Alzner. I would keep Erskine as the 7th d-man, and play him 50 or so games a year as an injury replacement and to match up against the more physical teams.

Posted by: zmega | November 15, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

stupid
------------

I couldn't believe it when I read that - man Snyder really is an idiot.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 15, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

I love seeing that you factored Erskine in for a probable 2yr deal at 1.5m :) As Green continues to play like Paul Coffey, I'd be content to see Carlson develop into a Calle Jo.....Alzner, to me, seems like the second coming of Steve Eminger; he's expendable, let's trade him while he still has any value

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 15, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

@zmega - Orlov's not tall [so overrated for hockey anyway] but he's squat and wide, and explodes into people - he's a natural hitter.

But I agree with your overall point.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 15, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

stupid

Posted by: _stevo

$40 million guaranteed for a guy they wanted to bench two weeks ago. That's Haynesworth money to a soon-to-be 34 year old, injury prone QB.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 15, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

hoenstly, looking at who is on the list for RFA/UFA's at the end of 2011 and 2012, I worry the following:

1) That signing Semin would reduce our ability to retain some key 2011 UFA's (Knuble's, Laich, Bradley) OR our very key class of RFA's for 2012 (Green, Fehr, Carlson)
2) Not signing Semin would disrupt the chemistry of the team, set back the Offense, AND we'd default to signing our players that I don't think should be resigned in 2011 (Fleischmann, Erskine, Knuble-depending on how his entire season goes)

2011...
RFA's
D-Alzner (resign)
G-Varlamov (resign, 1.4 range)
C-Perreault (resign, 2012 player IMHO)
RW-A.Gordon (resign, 2012 player IMHO)
D-McNeil (resign for cheap, potential 2012 call up IMHO)
D-Finley (resign at low, hope he steps it up)
LW-Bruess (resign at low, filler)
RW-Bouchard (resign at low, filler)
D-Godfrey (resign at low, filler)
D-Miskovic (resign at low, filler)
C-Joudrey (resign at low, filler)

UFA's
RW-Semin (resign at hopefully 6.7 for 4+ years)
RW-Knuble (resign at LW/C-Fleischmann (sign and trade hopefully)
LW/C/RW-Laich (SIGN at hopefully 4 mil or less)
RW-Bradley (resign at 1mil)
D-Erskine (probably let go, #6/7 making 1.25)
D-Collins (resign for cheap)

2012...
RFA's
D-Green
RW-Fehr
D-Carlson

UFA's
Chimera
DJ King
Sloan

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 15, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I still don't understand the love affair with Shultz. In emotionless, gentlemanly games I suppose he's harmless. In intense games when push comes to shove, he disappears. He lacks speed, skills, heart, passion, and intensity yet nobody appears to have a problem with him. I'll never forget his one "fight" against Tim Jackman; that alone should have shamed him out of the league

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 15, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

@Frankm73

Erskine would be a bargain for the team at 2yrs/1.5mil per.....I'll wager that if we don't sign him, another eastern conference team will and we'd regret it badly

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 15, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Funny, some might ask, how could two people have such a different opinion of Alexander Semin?

Simply, it's the difference between goat's blood and Kool Aid.

Huntsy, hock1...how bout you two buying each other a drink?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 14, 2010 5:07 PM |

LOL.
Yeah. Whatever. I leave cstanton and his new name to brood. He is always right.

Posted by: hock1 | November 15, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps
----
Potentially! but considering how many people crucified GMGM for resigning JE for 1.25 the last deal, I'm not so sure posters here would feel the same way.

IMHO, it's too early to tell if JE's play is just a good stretch or if he's really improved his overall game and is the type of D that the caps need to keep, hopefully at a slight raise from his current salary!

I'm more worried about losing a Green or Carlson or Fehr than an Erskine...

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 15, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Semin or Carter? That would depend on Semin's salary, because it ain't staying at 6M.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 15, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Statistics is a study of the past and meaningless when the human factor is involved in it. But, hey, enjoy it.

Some people say buy low and sell high. Nice - If you are in the stock market. Does anyone really want to get rid of your best player so you can get more rookies, cheap unproven players, or proven has-beens? Hah! I will bet then you will turn around and damn the General Manager and the coaches for not producing a winning team. Heck we already have a winning team and people are b!tching about it. Of course, you can be our illustrious analyst who thinks that the regular season does not count, and being on top of the standing is not a big deal, and people like DJ King is what we need. Hmm. Makes a lot of sense buy low sell high and keep rebuilding.

Posted by: hock1 | November 15, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I feel if the Caps could sign Semin to a 5 year deal with an annual cap hit of $6.7 mil, it would be a steal for the Caps. Carter gave the Flyers a home team discount, as did Backstrom, but neither had reached UFA status. As a UFA, Semin will certainly be able to get a longer term and/or more dollars than a 5 year, $6.7 mil per, given the lack of high end talent available as UFAs at the end of the season. If I were the Caps, I'd be pretty happy if I could get him to sign for Gaborik's contract (5 years, $7.5 mil per year average cap hit).

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 15, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Didn't I read somewhere that we can't resign Semin until Jan 1? Does anybody know the reason for this?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 15, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 15, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Because the rules state that a player who signs a one year deal can't sign a new deal until Jan. 1. Although I don't really have any idea why that is a rule.

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 15, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

pokerface: Have you committed to Capt Kirk for Feb 14 tix?

Now, the answer to your question is that is the way the CBA is written. Players under multi-year deal can get extension beginning 1 July of the last year of their contract. Players on one-year deal must wait till Jan 1st. This is done I think to avoid cap manipulation where player signs for 2010-11 for $2M then the next day does an extension 2011-2012 for $6M. If they didn't have that rule, guys like Lamoriello would agree in principle 2 yrs/$8M and then do it as two separate contracts to kick the cap hit down the road. So now the player if signs for one year and can't re-sign until Jan 1st he wouldn't go for that.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 15, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

It's time for me to weigh in on the whole Semin vs Carter debate. I vote for Semin but, then again, I'm a Semin booster.

I haven't done a statistical analysis but as "inconsistent" as Semin may be, Carter has not exactly been a model of consistency either, if memory serves me correctly. The main thing Carter brings is that he's a center and a very good one and certainly an asset to his team.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 15, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Another comment on Semin whose inconsistency everyone complains about.

So, just for fun, I decided to compare him to another player, who's had roughly similar productivity over the last two seasons; i.e. Zach Parise. So the metric I used for comparison was to count up the number of games for which they had points (either a goal or an assist) and divide it by the number of games in which they appeared.

In 2008-2009, I obtained the following percentages for them.

Parise: 82 games 57 with points 70%
Semin: 62 games 48 with points 77%

Stats for 2009-2010

Parise: 81 games 50 with points 62%
Semin: 73 games 47 with points 64%

From these stats, Semin has produced points in slightly more games than Parise. (Yes, Parise was certainly more durable in the health department the last two years but Semin's productivity percentage compares favorably.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 15, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I've been a koolader for Semin for years, and only this year is his true worth showing itself (and I don't buy the contract year stuff; then again Backstrom?). But 10 or even 8 games ago the verdict here would have been 10/90 for keep/trade, rather than the other way around. I'm glad to see he's getting his due. Hopefully he'll take it, multi-year.

Posted by: Justafan | November 15, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

The Caps can't afford to sign him if they want to keep Alzner, Carlson, and one of the young goalies.

This guy will bolt for the KHL if contract offers are under a penny from his demands. Typical selfish Russian and the only reason he's even in the NHL is getting to be around his bff OVI. Other than that, he could care less about the Caps and its fans, the Cup, or the NHL for that matter.

Posted by: BigGameSid | November 15, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Its great to see Semin playing well, but I keep waiting for "old Semin" to come back: the on that takes lazy stick penalties in the offensive end, or phones in a night, or doesn't play when he has the slightest hint of an injury.

As for next year, it would be great to keep him, but Keeping Alzner and Green will be more important long run. Laich and Varly are probably expendable.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 15, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I would prefer Semin over Carter as he has been on fire this season and had a 40 goal season last year as well.

Posted by: MReilly9 | November 15, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Semin's salary for the next decade will depend on his playoff performance this year. No team will pay him 6+ for multiple years without an excellent playoff. I think he will deliver. If he does, Semin makes 6.7-7.5 million for at least 7 years (this makes him 34 at the end of the contract).
The question is...will the Caps be the team paying? LA Kings are my guess. I will be sorry to see him go but, I approve the trade: Semin for the STANLEY CUP. This IS the year!

Posted by: chriscaps | November 15, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

chriscaps: If the Caps give him an extension, it will most likely be before the Playoffs. If though a team eventually signs him next summer as a UFA, it will be based on regular season + 2011 playoffs.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in on Carter v Semin. Semin wins. I might add, if cstanton had cast a vote, I expect it would have been for Carter.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 15, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------

well I can think of at least one team, Toronto.

Posted by: joek443 | November 15, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------

if you don't think teams like Toronto will pay that much to get him no matter how he does in the playoffs, you're just a hopeless homer.

Posted by: joek443 | November 15, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1,

I am cutting him some slack. I do think something's up with him; if it's as joek suggests, that he's coasting a bit - I'm alright with that. As for a world class assist, I wouldn't go that far.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | November 15, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

if you need a center more than a winger, Carter is your guy... if not then, it's Semin.

Posted by: joek443 | November 15, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75-Your comparison of Semin and Parise is interesting. I've thought the inconsistent label has been overblown for the last two years. There aren't many players in the league who "leave it all on the ice" 82 regular season games + playoffs. If the player is well liked, fans and media overlook their invisible periods.

Sid-If non-Russians play only for the love of the game and the fans, why are they paid above the league minimum? No GM is going to force Eric Staal to take $8 million per if he's willing to play for $500K.

chriscaps-Marleau and Thorton haven't been playoff studs and they both re-upped for nearly $7 million last summer. Semin will get at least $6 million from some club.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 15, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigGameSid | November 15, 2010 6:29 PM

thanks for the insight BigGameRuskie - good to know we have someone here that understands the inner workings of the 'euro' minds

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 15, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

oldtimehockey brings up a good point. How much do you think Green will get with his next contract? He is already making $5 million per year.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 15, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

FloridaCapsFan: Gee whiz, that was a truly wonderful saucer pass (from Ovechkin yesterday) that went over two enemy sticks I thought and landed perfect for a wicked, one-time wrister. World Class means worthy of the best, and only the best can do that. I mean, even John Erskine can't make a pass like that and he's now a Norris candidate!

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 15, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Personally I'll take a big strong dependable two-way center like Carter over a flashy winger like Semin any day.

Posted by: joek443 | November 15, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I have also believed for years, and often chided, that Semin would only play for this team if he stays in the NHL.

I maintain this belief, and I have seen others agree.

Even if he gets greedy, believes the hype, and takes that sweet big money deal by some other team. Where he is the main guy? He will not be happy or effective IMO.

So this deal will happen, somewhere around Tom's numbers, and Semin will help us win cups and be happy with his US experience. Or he will go elsewhere and suck and none of us will care.

Its the "HOME AWAY FROM HOME" team discount. And Semin is the ULTIMATE "homeboy".

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 15, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1,

Are we talking about the through pass to Semin who stopped it on the forehand pushed it over to his backhand while at the same time skating across the face of the net (and goalie) and then lifted it past the goalie from his backhand? If so, I thought Semin's goal was world class and Ovi's assist merely very good. BTW, this through pass was along the ice and out of the reach of enemy sticks.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | November 15, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | November 15, 2010 7:27 PM

your statement makes it sound like semin is not a two way player. semin may not be physical like carter but he is a dependable two way player

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 15, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | November 15, 2010 7:36 PM

on the goal you're describing - it was a saucer pass - up off of the ice

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 15, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Semin has never been durable, has nothing to do with his two-way skill.

I've always said Semin is the best two-way player on this team.

Posted by: joek443 | November 15, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

hey BigLameCindy...

since russians don't care about the cup do you think Frankenstein (Malkin) would give me his cup ring?

I'd love to hock it for a pile of blow and whole bunch of ladies of the evening.

Boy I bet Malkin was pissed winning the cup because he had to put the rest of his team's names on the cup. seeing how he's a typical selfish russian.

cindy when are you just going to admit you love ovi and all the other russians? I mean for someone who hates them so much you spend a lot of time talking about them.

Posted by: natresgroup | November 15, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ,

Well I wasn't there, I was watching on TV. From the TV view that I saw it may have been up off the ice (couldn't tell) but it was definitely out of the reach of enemy sticks.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | November 15, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ,

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | November 15, 2010 7:54 PM

i don't believe the defenders could have gotten to the puck no matter how he passed it. if i recall correctly - it was even a backhanded pass. i don't know how many times in a row he could complete that pass - but imo it was world class considering how fast both he and semin were skating. fwiw - i thought semins move after he got the puck was as much if not more impressive than the pass itself.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 15, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ,

I think he passed it from his forehand side and I absolutely think that Semin's move after he got the puck was more impressive. The bottom line is that they both did well on that particular play.

Anyway, I'm off to see if the Redskins can put on a good show against the Eagles.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | November 15, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Love Mikey but we don't need an offensive minded defenseman but rather a defensive guy. We need more defense and to keep the offense that we have. Keep Sasha and get draft choices for Mike G. who let several guys break behind him last night. CAP won't support keeping both of them unless Mike drops down to $4M or less per year.

Posted by: navboss | November 15, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | November 15, 2010 7:27 PM

This cinches it. Definitely Semin. We all know that the joek is never right so absolutely select the oposite.

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | November 15, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Semin is a head case. How well will play in a locker room w/o OV? Or one without another Russian. I think OV's presence helps keep his head on him. If the Caps hadn't drafted Ovechkin, I bet he would have never come back after the lockout. And still he didn't come back until 06-07 when it was clear how good OV was and there might be a real future in Caps org.

If I were another GM, I'd seriously think caveat emptor. Head case on the ice. Bails on his contract off the ice.

A hometown discount is in order.

Posted by: SuperG5 | November 15, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

What's with this "cap won't support Semin and Green?" I put numbers above. Semin 6.7, Laich 3.75 and the two goalies next two years $3M combined. Alzner gets no raise, actually goes dwon from 1.675 to 1.0. Jettisoning Flash is step 1. Green re-ups for 2012. By then the cap increases twice. New and better TV deal on the way. The cap shouldn't get tight if they keep rotating out $1-2M players (Poti would've been a good choice) and rotate in guys from Hershey. MaJo, Eakins and the Russian #1 pick give us three cheap forwards.

Green can stay, be interesting how much he gets. His next deal BTW is RFA so his leverage is limited.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 15, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have the feed for the Pens Rags game? Must be a wild one. According to the scoring, Rags ahead 1-0 until 2.5 mins to go, then the Pens score 2 to go up 2-1. Then King Henrik gets called for unsportsmanlike and M Staal puts one home for the Rags shorthanded to tie it up with 1:26 to go. End of regulation

Posted by: Justafan | November 15, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

And Pens lose on home ice in OT; Callahan goal.

Posted by: Justafan | November 15, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Part of the reason they were excited about drafting Evgeny Kuznetsov this year was because he has the potential to be a Semin like talent. Only option for Semin to remain a Cap is another 1 year extension. They can't afford him unless someone like Backs or Ov took a pay cut and thats not going to happen.

On top of that I'm pretty sure that Marcus Johanson is going to be a very good player in his own right. Of course Johanson's still very rough around the edges.

Posted by: RedskinsXXVI | November 15, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

The trend in the NHL has been to shy away from big contracts for D players or goaltenders. Nobody pays big at both those positions.

The Flyers have good D that they pay handsomely for but they dont pay much for the goalie because they have always had inconsistency there. Teams know that only 20 guys in the whole league are really shut down D or top goalies and so they pay the rest of the field what they are worth.

Problem the Caps have is they have Mike Green who scores and is paid accordingly. They need to surround him with teachable defenders on the cheap. Luckily Green may have turned the corner this year and started to become the tougher more versatile D player that he never was in the past.

I think if the Caps are willing to sign all these scoring forwards they will be a little more like Pittsburgh. All the money up front creating goals and then hope on a prayer that Fleury and I guess Martin hold the fort in back.

If the whole league is going that way because the Drew Doughty type players are not a dime a dozen then I like the Caps chances.

If a team tries and pay for the best guys on D and in net you wont have any money left to create scoring so thats not necessarily the right way either.

As long as you draft well and get decent players for all those spots to surround the stars you have a chance.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | November 15, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Off topic, I know. But I was just thinking that if players start policing themselves and the stars fight once in a while (when necessary to defend tehmselves or a teammate) then the D.J Kings and the Cam Janssons of the NHL will thin out in the next year or two. Soon there will be successful teams that have real team toughness on all four lines and all the stars will be forced to defend themselves and their teammates. If they do not, they will not have a chance to win a cup. You heard it here...

Posted by: sca187 | November 15, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Off topic:

Irbe was the first hockey player ever named to the San Jose Sports Hall of Fame. I'm not sure if he's going to get a story on here about it, but it's a pretty cool accomplishment. Anyways, congrats to him.

Posted by: Aldred15 | November 15, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Just saying... the trend seems to be going that way. Boogaard looks like a public skating session trick-skating winner when he tries to keep his balance while striding. I think that kind of player is on its way out... I also think the player who is obviously not strong enough to defend himself or stay upright after SOME hits is on his way out as well (ex. Flush).

I would be a seller in the Flush sweepstakes while it's still a possibilty. He just doesn't fit in...

LET'S GO CAPS
LET'S GO CAPS
LET'S GO CAPS

Posted by: sca187 | November 15, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Artie!

Posted by: sca187 | November 15, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigGameSid | November 15, 2010 6:29 PM

ooh, yeah! You got it. Them Rush’n ain’t no good fo notin’!
them comies is one self fish sum of a beaches. ain’t they? Come to America to take our jobs, money and our women.

Posted by: hock1 | November 16, 2010 1:57 AM | Report abuse

How come he didnt get credit for the first goal, for primary assist? Backstrom never touched the puck on that play?

Posted by: pacan | November 16, 2010 3:19 AM | Report abuse

At yet another day I'm glad I am a Caps fan and not a deadskins fan.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 16, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Well Pens lost in OT, but unfortunately they are starting to play better.

Posted by: capscoach | November 16, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Philly plays Montreal tonight...that should be an interesting game to watch! Two good teams. Hope it is on!

Posted by: capscoach | November 16, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

The delay in Semin's return had to do with his VISA. GMGM worked on it and it took a year longer than expected. The Caps were still a losing team, even with Ovechkin, when Semin returned. Please stop making things up to make people dislike Semin. The elections are over, no more politics for a while, please.

Someone poked a Schultz and I just don't get it. Yes, he is boring, yes, he is slow, but the dude just does the right thing just about every time. He blocks passes and clogs passing lanes with his long legs and huge wing span. Every team needs the Schultz type defensemen.

Let me give a quick example that I doubt many Schultz haters recognized at the end of the Boston game when Rask was pulled the Caps had the puck in the Boston zone. An errant pass was intercepted by Schultz before it got out of the zone and people in my section of course yelled shoooooooot. Well, Schultz didn't shoot because if he had it would have probably been blocked by Lucic who was coming right at him. It would have lead to an odd man rush the other way. Instead Schultz put it back into the corner, Backstrom retrieved it, backhanded it to Ovi, Ovi buried the puck to secure the win. Yes, a very simple play, but a very SMART play. I believe Schultz will be a Capital for his entire career, and I am just fine with that.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 16, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

@ Capscpach

NOt sure that I would call the way they played last night "gettng better" and as for Philly and Montreal that will be a great game

Posted by: bqts | November 16, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

@ Fanohock1

I don't know that I can say I have ever read a post I agree with more.

2 years ago I was one of the many Schultz haters and after the offseason he came back and I joked with my wife that he had spent the summer at hockey school and then again he came back last season even better again. This year at times I have questioned why I was such a hater ..... I must have forgotten he was and to some extent still is a kid.

All the Green fans are about to hunt me down for the following ..... but if it wasn't for Schultz Green would NEVER be mentioned in any Norris talk, NEVER EVER. If you watch the games and see how many times Schultz covers Greens ass it is mind blowing that people hold Green in such high regard.

Shout out to Section 115 !!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bqts | November 16, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

@bqts

do u know if the Philly/Montreal game is being shown on any of the channels here?

When I said they were "getting better" I guess I was referring more to them not giving up so many goals.

Posted by: capscoach | November 16, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | November 15, 2010 7:27 PM
---------

Dude, did you even watch the playoffs, or just listen to the TSN propaganda? Carter was lucky to see the ice by the finals, and then certainly never in the middle - he wasn't even on the Flyers' top line [which was the Leino-Briere-Hartnell], and Richards centered the 2nd.

Semin usually plays on the top line of his national team; Carter couldn't even make his. And Russia is stacked toward guys who choose to play in the K.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 16, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Hey Sid, how's that loss of Sergei Gonchar working out for ya - you still thinkin' Letang's a suitable replacement to run that PP, I wonder?

Now I know why BigGame hangs out on Caps' blogs - all the knowledgeable Pens fans [of whom, to be fair, there are more than a few, and were vocally advocating to keep Gonchar in the fold] - told him to get lost.

Hey Sid, let's see how Letang and Goligoski handle the heavy forecheck come playoff time.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 16, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1
@bqts

amazing how when Shultz makes a play he should that he's deemed "smart"...I don't know what to say if you think that "smart play" at the end of the Boston game is evidence of how great Shultz is in his own subtle way. I want, and expect, more from d-men other than they're big, long reach, clogs the passing lanes. Nolan Yonkman could've done that; so I ask again....how is Shultz any different than Steve Eminger?

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 16, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

------------------------

DUDE, were you even paying attention last year? Carter was injured and came back during the playoffs.

And how did team Russia do in the olympics? they were as pathetic as the Caps in the playoffs.

Posted by: joek443 | November 16, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Carter came back Joe - and was not even on the top line, and mostly played wing when he was out there. The Leino-Briere-Hartnell was hands-down their top line in the playoffs.

As for Russia, they have as much talent as anybody - they were badly out-coached. But Carter wasn't even close to making Team Canada!

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 16, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

As for the injury excuse, c'mon - almost everybody's banged up come playoff time; if they can't produce in the playoffs, no excuses. He just couldn't get it done.

I'm sure Semin had a lot of bumps and bruises, as did Ovie, Backs.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 16, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Neil. Although entertaining, once again one of your article doesn't make even a lame attempt to answer the question posed in the title. And, your use of statistics to support what you already think you know is misguided and woefully inadequate. From now on I think I will skip anything with a Greenberg byline.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | November 16, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

But Carter wasn't even close to making Team Canada!
-----------------

There you go again... When Getzlaf was hurt just before the Olympics and there was some question about his availability, Carter was the first alternate.

Posted by: joek443 | November 16, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Carter was closer to making Team Canada than Mike Green ever was.

Posted by: joek443 | November 16, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Semin had a lot of bumps and bruises, as did Ovie, Backs.

--------------------------

You don't wanna compare the durability of Semin's with anyone in the league, you do NOT wanna do there.

Semin misses games when his fingers hurt

Posted by: joek443 | November 16, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

hey Timbo, this is for you!!!!!!!!!

if Semin had this, he would still be out.

Posted by: joek443 | November 16, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse