Status of Morrisonn unclear

You know it's the playoffs when the coach says one thing and his players say something else regarding a suspected injury.

Anyway, that's what's going on with Shaone Morrisonn. The defenseman did not practice yesterday, and although he returned for this morning's pre-game skate, it's unclear whether he'll suit up tonight at Centre Bell. That's because both of the usual scratches -- Tyler Sloan and John Erskine -- came off the ice early and have been told to be ready.

Asked if Morrisonn and Joe Corvo, the other defenseman who skipped Tuesday's practice will play, Boudreau said, "As far as I know."

Meantime, Morrisonn, who missed the third period of Game 3, told me he'll be a game-time decision. Corvo is believed to ready to go tonight.

As for the rest of the lineup, Boudreau said the forwards will remain unchanged, so that means Quintin laing, Scott Walker and David Steckel will be out again.

Semyon Varlamov will start in goal and face Carey Price, who replaces Jaroslav Halak in Montreal's net.

The word here at Centre Bell is that Habs defenseman Jaroslav Spacek will be a game-time decision. If he can't play, that's really good news for Alex Ovechkin.

I'll have more from the morning skate in a bit.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 21, 2010; 12:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps looking to power up for Game 4
Next: Post-morning skate update

Comments

Would be too bad to lose Morrisonn. He's been pretty solid so far. Corvo, not so much. Apparently Montreal is saying Spacek will be a gametime decision as well. He hasn't been on the ice since game 3. That would be a huge loss to their blueline.

Posted by: Stu_c | April 21, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

""As far as I know, we don't have any injured defensemen," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "

What is it to "know" something? BB is sounding like a lawyer who does not want to admit anything but who also does not want to tell a direct lie.

Posted by: phillyreader | April 21, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: phillyreader | April 21, 2010 12:47 PM |

As far as I can remember under the GMGM era, we've have taken the Belichick persona when it comes to injuries.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 21, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Expect an Erskine sighting tonight.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 21, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@Stu_c

What are you disappointed about in Corvo?

That he has been on the ice for all of 1 goal the entire series? (where more blame could go to ShaMo for getting beat and the terrible line change)

That he scored one of the two goals in game 1 and had the primary assist on Backstrom's huge first goal in game 2?

That he perfomred well on the PP last game holding pucks in at the blue line?

That he hasn't really made a bad pinch the entire series that led to a great scoring chance?

He's not a great defenseman by any means but he is playing his role very well so far and he doesn't drop his stick every 5 minutes either.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rocc00

Probably no reason not to.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 21, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3 : I have to agree with you. Other than the terrible play he made on the game winnerin Game 1, in the words of the immortal Dennis Green, "he is who would thought he was."

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 21, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I would rather skate with 5 d-men than have erskine in this series acting as a pylon for the fast MTL skaters

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 21, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Hold on to your stick tonight, Big John!

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 21, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"he is who we thought he was" - sorry about the typo.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 21, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Agreed completely. I was down on Corvo during the regular season after the trade. But since the playoffs started, he's looked pretty solid. Certainly, he's looked stronger than he did in lead up to the postseason.

Posted by: CDon | April 21, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I like how Corvo can make a clean exit pass out of the zone.
I think he hasn't been as aggressive in his own zone in the playoffs as in the regular season.
But overall, he's been steady if albeit a little star struck by the moment.
I thought he looked like an outsider in the mob after Backie's 2nd game winner.

But ppl see what they want to see (new favorite saying).

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 21, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Sloan might be a better fit in this series instead of Erskine if one of them is needed tonight. Go up 3-1 and Bears finish their deal tonight, could bring Alzner up for game 5 and give Morrisonn an extra game's rest if all the cards line up like they should tonight

Posted by: BBDwrestling | April 21, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

If Spacek plays, you dump the puck on his side of the ice a couple times and have Ovi crush him against the boards. Problem solved.

Posted by: zmega | April 21, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter who is on D tonight, caps win 6-3

Posted by: _stevo | April 21, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

A Jaroslav-less Habs team tonight, eh?

Posted by: JillC | April 21, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

If Corvo can be even half as good as he was last year, I'll gladly take it. So far, he has. In all fairness, the matchup against the Habs is a good one for him.

I think BB/GM were hoping he'd be good enough to play second pair minutes - but that's a spot next to Poti, which they tried, and it just doesn't work. Still don't think he brought us that much more than Pothier to justify the trade, but you can't win them all.

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 21, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I also agree with sgm3. The only bad pinch I remember was the diving play he made in game three but the play was stopped at our blue line by a great backcheck by Semin.

I think the biggest problem for Corvo is everyone wanted a Pronger type D-man. A big strong guy who would pound the snot out of guys like Sutton. Well I have been watching the Pens/Sens series and Sutton has be beat time and time again by Crosby and co. The biggest one that comes to mind is when Crosby was in the corner and he went right around Sutton to get to the front of the net and score in game two. Corvo has not been making those mistakes but since he isn't want we as fans wanted he came in with a strike against him and when he had a little bit of a struggle adjusting to our system he got jumped on.

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 21, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I ragged on Corvo a little bit after game 1. However, I agree that he has been pretty solid the last two games. I also ragged on Poti and he has really stepped up.

Posted by: thomas20 | April 21, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I just think there are too many people on this board who will crucify one player for a particular mistake (Green, Corvo, Semin) but not even criticize if the exact same mistake came from another player.

The best example of this is the Habs goal in game 3. After seeing the replay and then reading the montreal website that breaks down every goal, it was apparent that goal was scored due to the pylon nature of the Caps on the ice at the time.

The player closest to Plekanec who should have bodied Plekanec after his first shot to not allow him to such an easy rebound was Carlson. Little or nothing was said about that, and fairly so because it was one mistake by the young defenseman and overall he has been playing great in the series. Everything about him has been great.

But if that was either Corvo or Green under the exact same circumstances people like cstanton1 would have spent hours on here ripping on him for being "soft" and "not a crease clearing defender".

Sorry for the vent.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 21, 2010 1:13 PM

agree 100%. Sutton may be big and physical, and even skates okay... but the game is much more than that, especially against Crosbys and Malkins... I don't think he reads the game well at all. He just does not seem to be the sharpest pencil in the box. Come to think of it, that pencil may never have seen a sharpener in his life!

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 21, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 21, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

CLEARLY, A NEW FAN TO THE SPORT OF HOCKEY AND THE WASHINGTON CAPS....CAN YOU TELL ME TEAM THAT DOESN'T HAVE A LARGE, LUMBERING, SLOW D-MAN? I GUARANTEE A WIN TONIGHT IF BIG JOHN'S IN THE LINEUP.....GO CAPS

Posted by: vermontcaps | April 21, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer97

I agree completely. People wanted a big, shut down defenseman and the Caps didn't get that. In their anger they forget to ask the most important question after a trade "is the team better now than before the trade?"

I have always liked Pothier but he had turned into more of a #7 defender this year. It's a shame because of all the injuries he had to suffer through. But Corvo, IMO, is definitely an upgrade over Pothier. And while not a defensive defenseman, he still was an upgrade over what the Caps already had and therefore an imporvement.

To figure out if the value given up was okay will ride a lot on how Osala turns out. That will take a couple of years to figure out.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

""As far as I know, we don't have any injured defensemen,"

"Injured" and "hurt" are entirely different.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | April 21, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Sutton has definitely looked slow. He has taken a lot of penalites too. Sutton can't stick with Crosby even though he is significantly bigger.

Also, Ottawa, without Kovalev and Michalek, sucks. I wrote this a few days ago and cstanton1 came on saying how good Ottawa was and how they would likely beat the Caps if they them because of their big defenseman and grinding players like Neil.

He forgot that Ottawa's offense is horrible. The only reason they had goals last night is that two came on a 5 on 3. Ottawa generates almost no scoring chances 5 on 5.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

We have depth. I would rather take Sloan or Erskine at 100% then Morrison at 80%

Posted by: SA-Town | April 21, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@ vermontcaps: STOP SHOUTING! None of us are deaf, dumb, and blind here (unless you're a Pens fan). I'll take Erskine too though, since I'd rather have their entire team bruised and battered and who better to issue some punishment but Erskine. Nice!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 21, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Here is an interesting quote from Green that is on NHL.com right now.

"I was maybe a little nervous the first two games and once we got the win there that releases everything and lets you play," Green said. "I'm back to feeling good."

sgm3, I think part of the reason why there was no talk about the bad goal in game three is because there was so much good stuff to talk about. I would bet that if the Habs had come back to win that game or even make it close everyone would have been a lot more critical. Just like we are giving praise to many of the Caps and not many have talked about Bradley and his goal late in the game because it didn't matter much. Maybe if it was Corvo there would have been some critizism but I think the main reason why there wasn't is because of the big win.

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 21, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Last night was my first time watching Sutton in detail because of all the bubbaloo about how we missed out on him during the trade deadline.

Yes, he can pack a wallop, IF there is a wall standing between you & him.
In space, the pinz entered the zone unimpeded by Sutton.

I was not impressed. I've seen Erskine do better.

Btw - I am sooo impressed with the depth GMGM has built on this team that we can sit here today & even talk about moving able bodies in & out of the lineup!

I remember when we couldn't even sub another D-man in a couple of years ago cause there were no options!

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 21, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

BB's "as far as I know" thing sounds too much like Bill Clinton for me.

rmcazz: please explain diff btw. "injured" and "hurt" Thanks.

Posted by: jerseygirl15 | April 21, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

The Pens have looked good but let's face it the Sens have absolutely no offense left. First Kovalev (Sens 5th leading scorer) blew his ACL the last week of the season and Michalek (Sens 3rd leading scorer) blew his ACL in game one. Even though the Pens are up they should be concerned that they have given up 11 goals in 4 games up to a team that is in disarray due to the injuries.

Just think how easy this series would become if the Canadiens were to lose the services of Cammelari (3rd leading scorer) and Kostitsyn (7th leading scorer). Although they are a relatively low scoring team they have all of their players back from injury. I don't wish them any injuries though because the Capitals have been fortunate and I do not want to anger the hockey gods and bring bad luck onto our Caps.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 21, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer97

I agree. I don't think there should've been talk for all the reasons you mentioned. But if it was Corvo who did that same play there would've been endless talk about it. That's the only thing I think is wrong. I just think you have use the same standard to judge if a play is good or bad no matter who the player is.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Corvo has definitely been better in the playoffs than during the regular season. My issue with him is that he still makes risky plays in his own end. They haven't come back to burn him yet, but there have been enough of them for it to be a concern. There are a lot of times where he should just dump the puck out but instead circles back towards the corner and passes the puck around behind his net to a waiting Montreal winger.

He hasn't missed a pinch badly yet but there have been a couple betwen the Caps blueline and centre that he's jumped up to block a pass and barely clipped the puck. Luckily he's got enough of it to disrupt the play, but it's far too risky to be doing that unless it's a pass on the ice during playoffs. He's also not playing very physical (only player on the team who hasn't recorded a single hit yet), which isn't his style, but against Montreal's small forwards Morrisonn is doing a better job of wearing them down and blocking them out. Corvo is doing alright with stick-checks, but it's risky. It's good that he's got speed to keep up with Montreal's forwards. But I still think he's playing far too risky a style of defence and has been really lucky so far that it hasn't hurt the team. He was getting worked early last game when Montreal was cycling but Varlamov came up big.

Posted by: Stu_c | April 21, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I can understand completely why Green was nervous. He didn't perform well last year in the playoffs and he wants to make a good impression. There is no way he doesn't care when things don't go well when he's on the ice. He was extremely pissed at himself for letting the Canadiens score the 5th goal in game 2. You could see it on his face and he fired the puck down the ice. Green has critics everywhere he turns so he will be nervous. Don't tell me that a professional does not get nervous before an important meeting with a client even though they are paid experts in the field.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 21, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Both Carter and Gagne out for Game 5 of that series with right-foot injuries. Both are day-to-day. Could change the pace and tone of that series.

Posted by: saintex | April 21, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

@jerseygirl15

The difference between injured and hurt is severity.

I think that Corvo was hurt in the last game (or maybe he had an equipment malfunction), but he can play through the pain. ShaMo clutched his shoulder and after that he didn't return to the game. It seemed far more serious at the time.

But we won't really know who's in and who's out until they hit the ice tonight.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | April 21, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Ottawa's weak goal-tending has been a major factor. Elliott had a decent run the second half of the regular season, but the house of cards has fully collapsed now. I'd be shocked if they don't bring in a FA goalie in the off-season.

Posted by: zmega | April 21, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Stu_c I really don't like the hits stat because it is very misleading when it comes to how physical a player is. When Ovechkin has the puck and a guy goes to hit him and Ovechkin puts him on his backside does the guy falling get the hit or Ovechkin. Here is a prime example of what I mean by the stat can be misleading. Of the Red Wings who have played more then one game this playoffs Thomas Holmstrom has the least hits with one. Anyone who has seen him play knows how physical he is especially in front of the net. And yet looking at the hits stat he is the least physical person on the team. Right now in the playoffs Helm with Detroit is tied for the most hits. He is not a real physical player he just makes a lot of contact yet he is leading the playoffs right now. I agree Corvo isn't incredibly physical but neither is Nick Lidstrom but I think everyone here would take him on our team. And I am not saying Corvo is anywhere near Lidstrom I just am also a Detroit fan so I know their players as well as I know the Caps and he was the best compairson of playing style.

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 21, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

Thanks for the clarification, but it does seem like splitting hairs to me. It would come across better if he just said "none of your business. You'll find out at game time".

Your last comment is refreshing. All this speculation and you're so right..we won't know until we know!

Posted by: jerseygirl15 | April 21, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1:

I think most pro athletes get nervous in crucial situations. But is not a valid excuse for lack of performance. Until Green learns how play while feeling the nerves, he will br known as a gagger. BB is trying to help him overcome this problem with positive verbal comments. Like someone mentioned above, if he is nervous now, wait until he faces Crosby and Malkin for the Conference Finals.

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | April 21, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I'm asking from the Caps tonight and for every game in the playoffs...

Please continue to play a TEAM game. Please don't start believing the hype of how good we are because we've won a couple of games. Please don't get complacent. Please continue to work hard for 60 minutes at both ends of the rink. And please, let's get a power play goal and get that monkey off our backs.

Just don't stop working, keep shooting, keep driving to the net and keep the crease clear for our goalie.

We do these things and we can't be beat.

Posted by: natresgroup | April 21, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

@fanhock1

I agree completely. The last few games I thought Green's mistakes were because of tentative play due to nervousness and not because of a lack of effort or skill.

People get nervous, some more than others. It's one reason I think the addition of Carlson will help out Green tremendously because Carlson will become the face of the Caps D and Green will have less pressure as the Caps #2 defenseman.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Erskine! Erskine! Erskine!

Posted by: EricinReston | April 21, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega

I agree that people have been failing to mention how awful Ottawa's goaltending has been. You might see Theo between the pipes in Ottawa next year. He may not be Ryan Miller, but he's better than what they have.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 21, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

If the Caps advance to the Eastern Conference Finals, regardless of who they play, Green will be fine. The expectations on him, and the team, are so high this season I believe a lot of them were nervous, he was just one that came out and admitted it. I believe every pro athlete is nervous for every game, playoffs or not, until they take or give a hit. Just like most goaltenders admit they like to face shots very early in game so they can get into the game. Heck, I am not even playing tonight and I'm nervous.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 21, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 21, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

sorry, didn't realize i was typing in all caps (that said, i didn't know that typing in all caps meant i was shoutinig...being older, i'm not up to speed on computer protocols)

Posted by: vermontcaps | April 21, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Spacek being out would be huge. He's not glamorous but he is a terrific d-man. And that first outlet pass is always right on the tape. JR and others are all over Semin - who prior to the last three games has been better than a PPG player in the playoffs, very rare - but you gotta give MTL's D credit; they are all very solid they can all pass and skate [well, Hal Gill notwithstanding but he's a house].

Posted by: Timbo_1 | April 21, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

every player gets nervous in big games, well maybe everyone except Joe Montana who was cool and calm enough to point out John Candy in the stands to his lineman Harris Barton while they were in the huddle before the game-winning drive against the Bengals at the SB in Miami.

the thing is some players can perform just fine while they're nervous and under pressure and some can't. If Green plays like he did last year in the playoffs then you have to wonder if he can be a big time playoff performer.

Posted by: joek443 | April 21, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443

I don't want to give Green a total pass on what happened last year but let's not forget that he was playing with pretty significant injuries. He is healthy this year. This will be the year to fairly judge his play.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 21, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I think Green is just a guy who gets rattled by pressure. I think Carlson taking over the position as the Caps top D man and the pressures of it will loosen the pressure on Green.

I'm not intending to be critical of Green, I have liked his effort so far. But his ability to deal with pressure is just a trait just like being tall or short.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"...I just think people should be critical of players when they make errors, but you have to make sure to be critical of every player for mistakes instead of just blowing off on a precious few..."

Posted by: sgm3

I agree with what you're saying, but at the same token rookies or younger players are often given the benefit of the doubt. For me such is the case with the Carlson play you mention. BTW, you didn't mention the step up in the neutral zone in the game before that which led to a two-on-one breakaway that wasn't particularly well-played by Green. And there were a couple of failed clears. And... I'm not bashing and don't tend to bash my team's players. But, from time to time I will point out some issues just to show I am paying attention. :)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | April 21, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Montreal !

Posted by: stephenwhelton | April 21, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@sgm - how can you fault Carlson for that play, it was a PP goal! MTL has a great PP, only ours is better. But, if you do really do want to scapegoat for a goal we let up on the PK, the top of the box has got to clamp down on Plekanec and not let him waltz through the middle all alone - now, who could that be?

But that's a good point about Green, I hadn't thought about the pressure aspect. His D has gotten way sounder in his own end, it seems. But right now, I think our best shutdown pair has is Poti-Carlson, all things considered.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | April 21, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

@Timbo_1

Plekanec took a shot then skated by Carlson to right in front of Varly for an easy rebound. At that point it was Carlson's responsibility to get a body on Plekanec.

Were others also to blame for letting Plekanec get to that position? Absolutely, but if Carlson doesn't make his mistake the goal isn't scored. The last mistake made that leads to a goal is always considered the worst.

Again, this isn't meant to bash Carlson in any way. He made one mistake. Every player is going to make mistakes throughout every series in the NHL. Otherwise a team would never let in a goal. Carlson has been playing great overall and is getting better with each game he plays.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

@BetterOffWithFedorov

I agree that rookies and young player's should and do get longer leashes when evaluating how talented they are or how good of a player they are. Mistakes are to be expected from young players and most will learn from them.

However, in the playoffs the only evaluation being used for the Caps this year is what are the players producing today. Due to the Caps expectations as Cup contenders, the evaluation of "it will be a good learning experience" is being not used at the present time.

In the offseason I think when looking back at how a player played you absolutely have to take into account his age and experience to determine their value for next year. But in looking to see who should play in certain situations next game you should only look at what they are doing now, no matter the reason for their mistakes.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

@If he was nervous for games one and two against an 8 seed I really don't want to see him in the finals.

I would LOVE to see him in the Finals!!!!!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 21, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

@ vermontcaps: I should apologize. I was raised to have a little more respect for others and I sorta' slipped. I did agree with you on Erskine, since I can appreciate the wonders of a few well-timed, legal body checks into the boards Erskine and our able-bodied gigantic players can issue, weakening whatever player is dumb enough to try to mix it up with us. The bumps and bruises we give the Canadiens, the less effective they'll be in later periods and later games. Goo, Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 21, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

@sgm - well, it was a rebound - but after a one-timer off a great feed - but again, it was right through the middle. The box can't just collapse like that - if we're calling out names here, then let's at least be fair. That one was at least as much on Laich, as Carlson [Varly was obviously blameless]. But again, there's a reason we need to stay out of the box against these guys.

@LeftCoast - hey I love Erskine too, he works his tail off every single shift, plays hard but clean, and by all accounts is a great teammate. If he were a half-step quicker, by all means I'd want him out there - but against some of those quick little MTL forwards? Yikes.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | April 21, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse