Steckel talks about another poor start

Capitals center David Steckel was among the few players who spoke to the media following tonight's 5-4 overtime loss to Ottawa. He talked about another uninspired start to a game and how it has become a trend lately.

Washington has given up the first goal in three straight games, and not coincidentally, all have been losses. Although they picked up a point in two of those games, the Capitals have not won since March 24 against Pittsburgh, 4-3, in a shootout. Washington's last victory in regulation was March 20 against Tampa Bay, 3-1.

Here's what Steckel had to say about another slow start:

By Gene Wang  |  March 30, 2010; 10:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Backstrom on tripping penalty
Next: Time for Caps to be concerned?

Comments

What happened to Carlson?

Somehow I didn't even notice that he only played 9 minutes. I stepped away from the TV in between both periods.

I guess that's why Green had to log so much ice time.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 30, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

BB said Carlson had an upper body "bang" but could be back Thursday.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 30, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, I didn't think anybody was still in the last thread.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 30, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

is it me or do these guys look annoyed at answering the slow start question? maybe it's the booing? either way, not the reaction i'd like to see.

Posted by: thickman22 | March 30, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

They look confused, frustrated and dejected after losing a hockey game and continuing their trend of sloppy play and poor starts. I don't think they're too worried about the booing. I think that's a bigger issue with the fans and media than the players.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 30, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

H. Sedin with 2 points already tonight, and it's only the end of the 1st period. I have a feeling if Ovi doesn't start getting his act together, he's not gonna win any individual awards this year.

But I should add that Ovi was at least flying around there tonight and probably should have had another point if Knuble hadn't of flubbed the layup.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 30, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Here's an idea. Stop talking about a bad habit and do something about it. It's like listening to somebody who's trying to quit smoking and keeps saying, "this stuff is gonna kill me. I have to stop." The only difference, smoking is much harder to quit than getting up for a first period and playing 60 minutes.

Posted by: blanknerc | March 30, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Another point for Sedin. He's up at least 3 on our guy.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 30, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the way he's going he'll get 5 points tonight.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 30, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

hey...I may be late to the game on mentioning this:

Q: With the PK so obviously broken (with CAL and OTT both bottom dwellers going lights out vs us (1 for 3 and 3 for 4 me thinks)...is there no talk of change of personnel either in players or coaching? Just asking...again shame on me for not asking before April 1.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | March 30, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

BTW...when I mean coaching I only mean switching Deano with someone else to take the gig

Posted by: ralCapsFan | March 30, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

I agree with getting another coach's idea in there for the PK 'cause something is not working. Either that or change up the personnel completely.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 31, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Although, I wasn't in attendance, I think the reason why the fans were booing, is because they know that CAPS weren't playing to their potential! They better turn it around fast before the playoffs. No repeat of last year please!!!

Posted by: backstromfan | March 31, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone was booing tonight.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 31, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse