Tallon: Byfuglien's Name 'Never Mentioned'

Should the Caps and 'Hawks ever complete the long rumored Michael Nylander-back-to-Chicago trade, Dustin Byfuglien won't be part of the deal, according to 'Hawks GM Dale Tallon via the Daily Herald.

"His name was never mentioned," GM Dale Tallon told the Daily Herald on Friday. "I have no idea how this started."
To get Nylander, who would bring with a $4.87 million cap hit, Tallon needs to shave about $4 million off his present payroll. Moving Sopel somewhere would account for $2.5 million.

Check out Tim Sassone's blog here.

Come back a little later for an update on the Caps from the Shark Tank.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 22, 2008; 12:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Green Feeling 'A Lot Better'
Next: Green Not Skating

Comments

I find that blog post interesting in that it states that Nylander's No Movement Clause doesn't kick in until after this season. I know on the Caps Message Boards, his no movement clause has been brought up numerous times, and if this is true.. Nylander to "X" team will be the next rumors swirling around.

Posted by: Don-Ald | November 22, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I still think it's going to be Sopel and Barker for Nylander. That would be a great trade for the Caps.

Posted by: apva2 | November 22, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Ah, muchas gracias, Sombrero. Las cervezas tardan un tiempo largo para dejarme. Lo pensé todo el abrazo.

Posted by: oo7 | November 22, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

From what I've seen of Sopel I gotta say I'm really not interested. He's really overpaid, he's a -7 on the season, only has 9 shots through 17 games, and longs barely 14 minutes a game. Byfuglien interests me mostly because of his size and versatility, and if we did a straight up deal we'd free up a lot of space, but since the Hawks couldn't do that and stay under the cap even if they wanted to I say bag it and let them ride their overpaid goalies, and unrounded offense.

Posted by: dcfury | November 22, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I think it's all just a rumor and nothing is going to happen

Posted by: Leeguru | November 22, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I will be so angry if the Caps trade Nylander for another sub-par Dman.

Why don't we offer to pay 1/3 of his salary, too -- AND get absolutely nothing in return?

Posted by: notfadeaway | November 22, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

notfadeaway

I will be so angry if the Caps trade Nylander for another sub-par Dman.

I'm fine with that...if GMGM can find a way to get rid of Nyls and get the team 3 million under the cap by just paying 1/3 of Nyls salary...that'd be one of his all time greatest moves in my eyes.

Think about that 3 million would allow more call ups or room to maneuver come later this season.

Posted by: Yoshietree | November 22, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

notfadeaway:

Pay 1/3 or his salary? Hell no, we don't need to do that. if the right deal presents itself we should take it, but no point in making a move that big this early in the season. Our only real weak point is defense and we can put Fedorov back there once he's all healed up. There is absolutely no need to make a rash move, especially given the fact that we just stopped paying Jagr to play for another team. If someone comes along with a nice player, draft pick, or both that will fit into our system and save us some cap space we should take it, but there's always a market for a guy like Nylander so why do something stupid now when he's value is lower then it might be this time next month?

Posted by: dcfury | November 22, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

All the talk about paying portions of Nyles' salary is moot -- the new CBA doesn't allow for that. If we get Barker in a deal, it will be an absolute steal. That said, I'm not sure I see that happening. All we can do is wait and see.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | November 22, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru

You say: "I think it's all just a rumor and nothing is going to happen."

Tallon says: ""His name was never mentioned."

Mentioned in what, Tallon?

Negotiations are underway.

A move is going to happen because both Tallon and Gabby want Nyls to move. Me too.

Only not for Sopel.

Posted by: large23220 | November 22, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

funny that Sopel & Byfuglien did not dress tonight for Chicago vs. Leafs.??

Also - how great is it that his name has "fugli" in it.

Posted by: Jaymagz | November 22, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse