Posted at 2:26 PM ET, 01/12/2011

Capitals look to get moving on power play

By Katie Carrera

Coach Bruce Boudreau let his frustration with the Capitals' inability to create much of anything on the power play lately known after Washington's 4-3 overtime loss to Florida last night. This morning at St. Pete Times Forum, players said they took a long look at the unit's recent work and discussed what needs to be done to get it back on track.

While personnel changes have been made and players aligned in different ways over the past several weeks, the problems on the power play persist. Defenseman Mike Green said it's on the players to take ownership and fix their play on the man advantage.

Boudreau "can put anybody out there; it's just a matter of the guys that are on the ice getting the job done, including myself, Alex [Ovechkin], Nick [Backstrom]," Green said. "We haven't really exceeded expectations, per se, like we have in the past on the power play. ...We've addressed that, especially here today, and it's just a matter of us taking responsibility and doing it."

Much like Boudreau said earlier, it's not necessarily one element that has knocked the power play out of sync but rather that nothing is working as it should. Among things mentioned by the players: entrances into the offensive zone, keeping plays simple, communicating with the rest of the players on the ice and taking better care to execute when presented with an opportunity. The largest emphasis, though, is on the Capitals to get back to creating a power play that is in constant motion.

"As a penalty killer, I know when the power play that's on the ice is moving their bodies and snapping the puck around quick, you find yourself out of position and all of a sudden they have a chance," Brooks Laich said. "I think as players on the power play we've been guilty of standing around too much, moving the puck around the outside and not attacking seams, attacking nets or really putting pressure on the defenders.

"We want to move the puck quick then move your body, move to a position where they can't just stand and cover you. And eventually end up with a 2-on-1, then make the right decision and get a good look at the net."

Said Eric Fehr: "I think our entries have been better, which is positive, but once we get in the zone we're all just standing still making passes. We're not making the penalty killers move at all. So I think that's going to be important for us to get things turned around, is to get moving so that we can get lost out there and find open areas."

Heading into tonight's contest, Tampa Bay has also struggled on the power play, going 1-for-17 in its last five games. If this meeting has all the trappings of the one last week, either team's success or failure on the power play could tip the scales. Now's as good a time as any for the Capitals to start regaining their confidence in the power play.

By Katie Carrera  | January 12, 2011; 2:26 PM ET
Categories:  Power play, Tampa Bay Lightning
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Martin St. Louis: Lightning's matchup against Capitals 'like a playoff game'
Next: Open thread: Capitals at Lightning

Comments

Sit the entire first team and try someone else.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 12, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Fisher is signed through 2012-2013 so that could pose a problem. He is making $4.2M.

Posted by: sgm3

I somehow got the impression he had only one more year. That additional year is not ideal, since we have to hope that the young guys will be fully ready to roll by 2012-13. Maybe Ottawa would take Poti?

Posted by: zmega | January 12, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Lots of talk about moving feet and postiong etc. We aren't talking Rocket science - if it is a lack of effort we know where to ask why such a lack of effort is not punished with less ice time.

Posted by: Redwolf1 | January 12, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Positioning Duh!!!

Posted by: Redwolf1 | January 12, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega

Highly doubtful. Unless they do it in a move to get a less expensive defenseman for the next few years(they would need to get rid of a few D-men to need this).

Also, for all those recommending trading Semin. No team out of playoff position will make a trade for Semin unless they sign him to an extension beforehand. Semin has no value to the teams about to miss the playoffs as no one knows where he will sign next year.

Because of his tenuous contract sitation, the only teams Semin would have value for are those looking to do somethin in the playoffs, and his return would be lower because of his contract situation. And usually those teams are unwilling to give up a top center at the trade deadline.

Anything is possible, but it is highly unlikely Semin will be traded.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

For those of you (Soaringcaps) that continue to bash OV for not skating in the morning "optional" practices think about this. Anybody that is familiar with this team and hockey and how it works on a daily basis there is zero concern about OV and others not skating. The funny part is, Katie & Co just put it on the blog to ruffle your feathers and guess what? You fall for it every time. Why don't you go on other teams blogs and see how many times their players that skate 20-30+ minutes a game skate in "optional" practices. It's not an OV thing, or a DC thing or a Caps thing, it's a hockey thing.

I'm sure people will still b!tch about it though as there has to be something to complain about right? I can't believe there isn't rebellion over Erskine getting scratched again. Sheesh!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 12, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Yes, BB is in charge and it is his responsibility, but like the players say it is their responsibility too. The bottom line is they (the players) have to execute.

I don't think BB tells them to yeah go ahead and continue to make those high risk passes sooner or later one of them will get through. Or don't go to the front of the net it's rough there and you might get hurt. Or keep standing around guys it's easier for the camera operators to get a good shot of you than when you're moving. :)

To some extent BB has tried other players. They didn't look any better than the other guys.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | January 12, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

From previous:

capscoach,

Yes, I can honestly tell you that I was not one of the guys bashing Fehr as I love the guys game. I would challenge you to go back and do your own research, he is one player I do not bash as I think he is being used incorrectly on as a 3rd liner when he is at least 2nd line talent.

Posted by: PhilR | January 12, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

all I know is if you don't shoot; you rarely score. Bodies in front of the net - shoot the puck...gobble up rebounds. That's how you score in the playoffs - learn to sacrifice now.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 12, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I agree very difficult, given scenario, to trade Semin. Unless it were like Semin and Perreault for say a soon-to-be UFA center and a prospect wing. Nothing wrong at all if he leaves after the season. As ThePat points out, that just gives you money to pay some other UFA, just like if it were a trade.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 12, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I would personally like to see Beagle and Hendricks getting a shot on the PP, those two guys are both sparkplugs.

Posted by: PhilR | January 12, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

The PP struggles start right off the bat - in the faceoff circle. Noticed that in Florida Laich was taking most power-play face-offs - at least he's a 50-50 guy. Seems like we spend the first 30 seconds of every PP trying to get the puck. After that, all the first-line guys not named Ovechkin are getting tired...

Posted by: wawgt | January 12, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Anything is possible, but it is highly unlikely Semin will be traded.

Posted by: sgm3

LA, SJ, STL, NSH, ANH, NYR, MIN would all be interested. Doesn't necessarily have to be a center in return. That could be a separate deal.

Posted by: underpants2 | January 12, 2011 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1

All true, but what pending UFA centers are out there?

Richards was the guy, but he won't be traded now. There's Arnott and Tim Connolly, but you wouldn't have to give up Semin to get either of those(and wouldn't want to).

IMO, the only way you could get a reasonably fair return on Semin is to trade him for picks and prospects, but that would be sort of like giving up on the season. Those picks and prosepcts can't be peddled for a top center at the trade deadline because teams in playoff contention will not trade a top center for picks and prospects at the deadline.

Semin will almost definitely be here through this year. Afterwards, who knows.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

trading Semin will not be a problem at all - GMGM will have a million offers for him with LA first in line.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 12, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty simple. Caps PP has been outworked.

When they finally outwork the other team's pk, win some puck battles, play with urgency (e.g. after a shot get the puck back to the net rather than letting goalie and pk reset), and park their ass in front (hey, if your going to stand around, at least do it in the right place!) they will eventually score.

Until then, they'll look like over-paid, under-interested, lazy, prima donnas.

Posted by: dml1077 | January 12, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

my post probably came out more as an acusation than a quetion...but I meant it as a question.

Fehr has been looking better lately. Still think Backstrom has looked way worse than Ovie though...yet ovie gets all the bashing :) well along with BB

Posted by: capscoach | January 12, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

i would think, on the PP, if you put 2 guys right at the crease and 1 other within 10 feet - the d would have to counter with 2 guys to cover them - any shot from the point would have a higher percentage of being screened and give you 3 sticks to go after a loose puck.
having 2 up top, one on the wall, one behind the net and the other between the circles doesn't seem to be doing much.
i'm not so sure it is the personnel on the ice as it is there positioning and movement - which would dictate how/where/when the d must respond.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 12, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: underpants2 | January 12, 2011 3:13 PM

I could only see LA giving the Caps a good deal for Semin. The rest of the teams either have enough offense (at least on paper), budget teams, out of the playoffs, or are the Rangers :-).

I would only trade Semin if the Caps were getting a UFA 1C/2C in return. Trading Semin just to get him off the team wouldn't be a good move. I'd rather let him walk at the end of the season.

Posted by: ablake70 | January 12, 2011 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Unless something HUGE changes, Semin will not be traded. Trust me if there is any word out there and I hear about it I'll let you know. I'm told that GMGM & 28 both want to work out a new deal and a trade isn't even being thought of now beyond the customary "we listen to everything to see if it makes sense".

On a side note, Semin should beg to stay here as he'd have Kuzzy as his center for the next decade. I bet Kuzzy comes over next yr. Yes I know he's under contract with the KHL but he has an out that would allow him to come here next yr without too much difficulty.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 12, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

In Andrew Gordon's last 48 AHL games including last year's playoffs he has scored 17 power play goals. Boudreau should invite Andrew back to Kettler for a day's instruction when the boys are back in town on "How to score a power play goal in 5 Easy Steps". LOL!

Posted by: dull | January 12, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@ PhilR and ThePat (for your Semin statements)

I hope you both wake up in the middle of the night and really really have to pee, so you rush off to the toilet. Upon returning you are in such a state of bliss that you arent paying attention and you stub your big toe on the bed post.

Ahhh, sweet revenge. =)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 12, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I think people are way overrating the ease in trading Semin and the amount of return. There's the whole "enigmatic" factor, the inconsistency, the lingering injuries. And I would throw in the Kovalchuk fiasco with the Devils, as well. I think he is worth more to the Caps than anyone else would pay.

Posted by: zmega | January 12, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: underpants2 |

Teams are HIGHLY unlikely to give up an equivalently talented player who is signed beyond this year for a player likely to leave in free agency. Unless the trading team is just looking to unload the traded player's salary.

And again, what centers are availabe? Arnott, yes. Connolly, maybe. Fisher, possibly. Who else?

It is possible that the Caps could acquire Fisher for picks and prospects(as long as one of those was close to making the NHL or was Neuvy or Varly but that won't happen).

I could see LA wanting Semin, but only for picks and prospects in return. Maybe a decent current NHL player, but not one of the cornerstone guys. The Kings are looking to improve to make a run at the SC. Trading away a cornerstone guy near the deadline is usually not the best way to do it. Semin would be a possible rental for them(again, who knows where he will sign).

Once you need to piece together two or three big deals to make trading Semin work, it basically means it is very unlikely the trade will happen. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface

Kuznetsov probably won't be a C in the NHL, imo he is a winger at this level. To me thats more the reason we don't need Semin. I like Semin, I just think at some point a team and player need to go in different directions. The day will come where the Caps have to do the same with Ovi and Backstrom as well, granted it will be 6 or more years from now. I just think the time has come with Semin. We have depth at wing in the organization and wingers are much easier to find/draft than Centers. Just my opinion.

Since I voiced it, he will probably sign a 3 year deal tomorrow.

Posted by: ThePat | January 12, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

zmega: It is a very good point you made that Kovalchuk alone has diminished the value of Russian wingers by maybe 10%. They are now seen by some maybe as an offense only group that struggles to fit in.

I pointed it out the other day that superstar Russian forwards never had to learn the whole game at the 17-19 age level because they were so good, they got by on skill. Even a Canadian superstar like Crosby had some of the same failings coming out of Jr.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 12, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I think he is worth more to the Caps than anyone else would pay.

Posted by: zmega |

I agree 100% Which is why I think he remains with the Caps. My guess now(again this could change depending on his performance the rest of the season and playoffs) is that he signs a 2 year $12.5M deal. It could be just 2 year $12M, but I think he will get a slight(not saying it is deserving, just that he will get it).

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I think he is worth more to the Caps than anyone else would pay.

Posted by: zmega |

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 3:43 PM

I think this is more wishful thinking than reality. At least 20 other teams would love to have a guy like Semin and some would Nylander a few players to get him. He's going to be a much sought after free agent if he hits the market.

Posted by: ablake70 | January 12, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Semin will not be back next year, but we will keep him through the playoffs...he is worth more to our potential cup win, then a few draft picks or a young prospect.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 12, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Also, I wouldn't mind if GMGM brought in a veteran 2C with a few years left on his contract. Unless the Caps plan to go into full rebuild mode, I'd leave the young guys in the KHL/AHL for a few more years.

Posted by: ablake70 | January 12, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70

There may be a few teams that go after him, but others won't because either 1) Semin doesn't want to go there or 2) They don't have the cap room to spend $7M on an enigmatic Semin.

I could see the Kings possible going after Semin and I could see Semin being okay with going to the Kings, but they need to re-sign Doughty. Not really sure who else would be a fit both ways by a team having the cap space and money to give the Semin.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

@ablake

im with you on leaving them there. We have a lot of young players this year. No need to bring in 2 or 3 ever year. Space it out a year and let them develop.

Posted by: ThePat | January 12, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70 |

I'd also be fine bringing in a veteran #2C signed through next year. However, those types of players are usually not traded around the deadline for picks and prospects as the teams that have them want to keep them around for next year.

Those types of players usually take more of a straight hockey player trade, an NHL player for an NHL player.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

McLobo - I have explained this a few times in the past (as have other people posting here), but will explain again because this is such an annoying criticism.

1. The guys sitting are the players receiving the most ice time. They are getting the most wear and tear out there.

2. Knuble regularly skips optionals and he is a well-respected NHL vet, which implies that this is an accepted and understood practice around the league.

3. Ovie and Knuble play extremely physical games and Green is regularly targeted by opposing forecheckers. The impact on their bodies is significant. Ovie regularly is in the top 30 in hits leaguewide (Crosby isn't even a top hitter on his team). Also for comparison purposes, NFL players regularly don't practice in pads until Wednesdays (some don't even get out of bed until Tuesday) during the mid-to-late stages of the season and they only play 16 games. Granted those games are more physical, but consider the physical toll the three aforementioned players take during the course of an 82 game season and playoffs and you might better understand why some players make optional practices optional.

4. If it isn't an issue with any of the players or coaches on the Caps, it shouldn't be an issue with you or any fans. The guys on that team know the effort that their teammates put in on a daily basis. You and I can only guess. If someone were cutting corners, a veteran guy like Knuble would say something to him (perhaps while they are both skipping optional practices they can have that important talk).

Someone else made a good point about how Ovie is at the rink, but is just not on the ice.

Optional means optional. Please leave it alone gang and discuss something more provocative.

Posted by: Cherno | January 12, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 4:10 PM

Teams are going to go after a guy with his talent. Most of the Semin talk is just speculation because we don't know what he wants or what teams would give to get him. He could surprise everyone and sign a 2 year, $8 million dollar deal with Detroit because he really wants to play with that team. Or a team who many think wouldn't be in the running could sign him to a Hossa like deal or give him a NMC. We don't know.

Teams are not going to take themselves out of the running because analysts and bloggers said that Semin wants $7 million + per year. I'd say at least 20 teams will call his agent.

Posted by: ablake70 | January 12, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SA-Town | January 12, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------
I betcha a bottle of Captain he's on our opening roster next year. :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 12, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

------------

With the breakup of the old 'CCCP' teams coached by the likes of Tikhonov, this is unfortunately true - where even the most-skilled forwards [and especially centers: Fedorov, Larionov, even guys like Zhamnov] played a great all-around game [out of necessity, or they didn't play]. Feds won the scoring title and Selke in the same year, unheard of prior to that.

I wonder if maybe changing back with the young generation though? Kuznetzov looked pretty good in his own zone to me, granted I was more focused on him when he had the puck...

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 12, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70

I agree with 20 teams calling his agent, but that has little substance. I'm talking about team willing to give up good money to sign Semin, think at least $6M/yr and at least 3 years(that isn't an absurd contract for a UFA).

Which teams would do that? Of course if he is willing to take the minimum every team would sign him.

You start getting a feel for what the Caps need to give Semin by understanding what everyone else would likely give.

I'm curious, how many teams, given those teams current salary cap situation, would sign Semin to, at least, a 3 yr. $18M contract. You need to take everything into effect for this too.

Then, of those teams who would Semin realistically sign with. Yes, it is speculation, we do not know what is going on in his head. I'm asking what you think and what your detalied reasoning is behind that thinking.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I saw Pierre Lebrun noted that Arnott could probably be had for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. That will be a possibity, but closer to the trade deadline as the Caps ability to acquire large salaries increases.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

sgm3

My reasoning is that I don't know what he wants. He hasn't said anything other than the obligatory "I want to stay in DC".

Despite what some believe, $6 million for an UFA Semin is a steal. I could see the teams underpants listed, as well as the Sens, Hurricanes, and Flames making that deal.

Posted by: ablake70 | January 12, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

People on here are going to throw rocks at me for saying this, but if Backstrom and Ovie don't get their offense consistently going by the end of February, what do you think of the Caps going out and trading for Zubie? He's still in good shape, and he knows Ovie very well. He was great on our power play. Depth is one issue, I understand, but he's the best I can think of as far as RW's the Caps may be able to try and get that first line going.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | January 12, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Arnott controls his situation!

He has a NMC (No Movement Clause) so he'd have to ok his trade to any team...

his cap hit is 4.5 for the rest of the year!

i think a 3rd for him would be worth it!

Posted by: FrankM73 | January 12, 2011 5:00 PM | Report abuse

arnott's a big body, no more. A shell of his former self.

i would pass. If he was part of much more player movement than ok, but if we get him he'll end up being our "big" move. I don't care how much playoff experience he has in his past, on the ice he's not a formidable player anymore. And he lacks the fire of a Billy Guerin type.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 12, 2011 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

--------------------------------------

Well Fisher is only 30, not 35... who on this team or in the farm system is gonna be better than him at both ends of the ice in two years??

Posted by: joek443 | January 12, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1:
vermontcaps and hunterforcoach will be thrilled to see you are alive and well.
welcome back - again

as far as 'big' moves go - there is this guy in col that has 19 pts in his last 19 games - if he could only play center... - we'd be set :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 12, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

If the Caps make a deal with NJ, I think it's for Zubrus who had good chemistry with Ovie when he played here. He also would be an asset on our power play and as a 2nd line center. I don't know how many years Zubrus has left on his deal, but Arnott is an old 36 with a big contract,

I can't see the Caps completely shaking up the locker room by trading Semin at this point. Chances are that he'll come out of his slump and have a big second half. People keep talking about who will pay him big $$$'s in the NHL, but very little mention of the KHL where his of interest in speaking English isn't an issue. It's probably going to come down to the security of playing with the Caps at a hometown discount or going back to Russia to play for big money.

Posted by: wizfan89 | January 12, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hockeynightincanada
-------------

Wait, which Zubie are you talking about, Zubrus? Can he still play? I know he's strong as a horse, but does he have much left? NJ's a mess, maybe cut him slack, I could maybe see it; everybody's hammering Kovie but I think it goes deeper than than that.

When you mentioned 'Zubie' I initially thought you meant Sergei Zubov - talk about a dude who could run a PP! Back in the day, of course.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 12, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Zubrus has a ridiculous salary. I'd put more money down on the fact that he'd be waived vs traded. I don't see many GM's paying his salary for his production.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 12, 2011 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70

Carolina has a self-imposed spending limit, so no. Calgary and Ottawa are in salary cap he11 right now and are trying to shed salary, not take it on. Also, I don't think there is a chance Semin would ever go to Calgary. He would get killed there by the media and it's in the middle of nowhere.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse

@captkirk

Does Col = Columbus? :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 12, 2011 6:04 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Zubrus is that he has 2 more years left on his contract after this one.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

@captkirk

I never got a chance to compliment you on your zing....very good

Can't say I'm all too excited about tonight's game. I suppose we'll see #4 in another 10 days as he's been demoted to spot duty again. He'll look out of sync again when next he plays, and then he'll be gone for the year. Absent any injury, he might get 15 more games. Yup, I saw this movie last year.

After last night's emotionless game, I hope and expect to see some passion and intensity tonight. Besides Hendricks, who else might bring it tonight?

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 12, 2011 6:14 PM | Report abuse

sgm3

It's called moving pieces to making room. I didn't know about the Hurricanes spending cap, but I have heard that Calgary is trying to move aging vets like Regher, Ignila, and some say Kipper.

Also, unless you know Semin personally, you can't say what he will or will not do. Most didn't believe Kovy would resign with Devils until he did.

Posted by: ablake70 | January 12, 2011 6:16 PM | Report abuse

@captkirk

Does Col = Columbus? :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 12, 2011 6:04 PM

no that would be cbj - i was talking about a certain wing on the avs. hahaha

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 12, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

@captkirk

I never got a chance to compliment you on your zing....very good

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 12, 2011 6:14 PM

thanks - it was (and always is) just some good natured ribbing

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 12, 2011 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I know buddy, I was kidding. :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 12, 2011 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70

No, I am speculating based on knowledge of the situation. Just like you are.

Unless you know the GMs of those other organizations, you do not know for certain that any of those teams will bid on Semin, you are also speculating.

I'm not saying there is NO chance, but am playing the percentages. I highly doubt that Semin will sign with most of the teams you mentioned. I will take the Caps and KHL and give you the field and would glady take that bet.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 6:40 PM | Report abuse

sgm3

I wouldn't be shocked with any outcome for him. Where I disagree is the belief his Visa is stamped "Must stay with Ovi to play in the NHL". A relatively young, uber talented player will have many options in the NHL. Old as dirt Kovalev got a 2 year, $10 million contract.

Posted by: ablake70 | January 12, 2011 7:13 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

LA will probably not be a trading partner with us this year. In a blog site on hockey rumors, the report is that LA is in the market for a 2C but not one with a long term contract since they expect Schenn to take over that role in the long run. Gee, that sounds like the boat we're in -- waiting for Johansson or Kuznetsov to take over.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 12, 2011 7:31 PM | Report abuse