Posted at 1:28 PM ET, 03/ 7/2011

Capitals vs. Lightning: no love lost between teams

By Katie Carrera

This is the final meeting of the regular season between the Capitals and Lightning in what should be an intense and probably entertaining game in which one of the two clubs will take an edge in the fight for first place in the Southeast Division.

Over the course of the first five games in this season series there's been a noticeable up-tick in physicality, chippiness and just the general distaste that Washington and Tampa Bay have for each other. It's to be expected when two teams are doing well and both pursue the same goals, but when asked about the crescendo of emotion in these games Coach Bruce Boudreau went as far as to call it hate.

"Quite frankly, I think in the beginning we didn't know what to expect the first couple games," Boudreau said, "and then once they took the lead off of us and they beat us 1-0 [on Jan. 4] and they beat us 3-0 [Jan. 12], [we] sort of started saying: 'Hey we don't like these guys.'

"We don't like the way they dive every two seconds and they lead the league in power play attempts because they've got guys like [Steve] Downie -- even though he might not be playing tonight -- who if I was a referee I would never make a call on him ever because he dives every two seconds," Boudreau continued. "[Steven] Stamkos, dives every two seconds. You start to get a hatred on for guys like that. So, it will be interesting."

Lightning Coach Guy Boucher declined to respond to Boudreau's comments.

"I'm not going to try to get an edge off ice," Boucher said. "I'm not going to try to do that, I'm going to let the guys play and I believe that our players and their players, they fight with everything they've got. I have more respect for the players than just to say their players or our players dive or whatever."

Downie is expected to miss tonight's game.

By Katie Carrera  | March 7, 2011; 1:28 PM ET
Categories:  Tampa Bay Lightning
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Notes from the Capitals' morning skate in Tampa
Next: Open thread: Capitals at Lightning

Comments

Why would you call out players (by name no less) right before playing them? Makes no sense what so ever.

Posted by: Moose33 | March 7, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Moose: I agree. I believe once again Boudreau has his foot in his mouth.

And it's not like we haven't seen a certain Caps star take a suspicious tumble now and then.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | March 7, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Not saying I agree with it - but its an attempt to work the refs (same with comments last night).

Posted by: hook99 | March 7, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes Bruce is a sh@thead

Posted by: Steve_R | March 7, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

maybe he's just trying to get in stamkos' head - might save them from a PK or two

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Stamkos hasn't scored against them all year I don't think and now BB wants to give the #2 point producer in the league extra incentive? Yeah, that is real smart!

Posted by: PhilR | March 7, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Capn: I don't know, that was a textbook slash. He really gave the stick a hard whack. I thought it was more a brain fart than unlucky.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | March 7, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
Coming from a Ref's perspective, I hate this call and have always hated this call. That being said when you look at the alternatives (I won't go into all of them) it's the only way you can call it. We've had "committee's" over stuff exactly like this.

The bottom line is the call is made if the stick is broke and it's black & white. Yes sometimes it's "missed" or the ref doesn't call it on very "slight" occassions but for the most part it is called IF the stick breaks.

It's flawed on so many levels. Guarantee you if you took 10 random players from either team and Wideman slashes all 10 of them only 1 stick breaks. I don't have a problem with THIS call, I have a problem with the "trip" they called on Erskine. He never touched him. The player (forget who right now) say Erskine coming and dove over top. So you make that call then a stick gets broke and we're down 2.

I could talk all day about this rule but it is what it is. It was unfortunate but it happens. We got 2 points and the point FLA got is a nonfactor.

Capt: to answer your question, no, there's nothing a player can do to "help" get his stick broke. It's such an instantanious type of thing you more prepare for the slash then trying to break your own stick.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 7, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 7, 2011 2:13 PM

thanks - i also thought it might be counter productive to break your own stick - if no call is made, then you've kind of screwed yourself

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Bruce is a moron. Yea, he's probably just trying to work the refs here. If they're looking extra carefully at Stamkos tonight that could mean two minutes with their most dangerous scorer in the box. But c'mon Bruce, this isnt the playoffs. I think this just further shows BB's hubris here -- win a few games in a row, got a new veteran 2C that he loves, and now he starts to get cocky again. Same cockiness that sends his team home early every spring.

Posted by: CalleJoFan | March 7, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

If it works to get into the other team's heads and make them extra cautious about taking a less manly stumble on the ice knowing that their little tricks are evident, then I say why not? Calling someone a sh@thead because well, you don't agree with what he said or did, that just makes you a dingleberry. What will you call him tomorrow if they win though? A genius? Let's let it play out and see what happens. Call him a dingleberry tomorrow if it doesn't work. If the Capitals win, whether it's a direct or indirect result of Boudreau's comment, let's leave it. I don't think he deserves to be called a doodoohead because you don't like him calling them out on something he has adequate reason to believe they do on a semi-regular basis. Let's settle this on the ice, Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 7, 2011 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 7, 2011 2:13 PM

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Also, if you only weaken it, it can lead to one of the broken stick whiff shots that are so costly on powerplays.

Posted by: chatton | March 7, 2011 2:24 PM | Report abuse

No disagreement that Downie and Stamkos are divers, my question is, should this really be brought up just before we play them? Maybe BB should also mention that Guy Boucher looks like a reject from the Sopranos and Tampa is a humid swamp with flying palmetto bugs, gators and illiterate people? How about the smell of the St. Pete Forum?

Posted by: guruvinny | March 7, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

If Bruce never said this and Stamkos dove and got a GWg on the PP you'd all question Bruce for nto having the "guts" to call out players for diving, or calling out the refs for falling for it.

It's not like either team needs the bulletin board material for this game.

Posted by: GFisher1 | March 7, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I like that BB brought this up. It sort of calls out the refs to look for it and it also might cause Stamkos and other Lightning players not to dive as frequently.

I guess it could help motivate Stamkos, but I'm guessing he will be very motivated for this game no matter what BB said.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 7, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

No mater what Bruce does, the haters will come out. Hell if we win a cup and he is the coach, there will be those that will say we did not do it the right way or with the right players. I am still not sure where all the contempt from Bruce comes from.

Posted by: jbears1 | March 7, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse

He's working the refs. Last night 7-1 in power plays against us. Our guys fight through fouls and try to score anyway- other teams imitate soccer players. He's just trying to maybe get coincidentals or even a power play when they do lose an edge.

Posted by: genericrepub | March 7, 2011 2:37 PM | Report abuse

So if BB is everything you guys are saying he is, what does that make Bylsma? And every other coach in every other sport?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 7, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Not a hater, but I think this quote could backfire.

Right up there with Ron Wilson's "We'll give 'em all seven games in Pittsburgh and we'll beat them anyway." stooopid.

Posted by: justbrewit | March 7, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

BB is attempting to work the refs, nothing wrong with that. I would bet Tampa can get ramped up for one of the most important games of the year against a rival regardless of statements from the Caps coach.

Posted by: chriscaps | March 7, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I saw this on Twitter a couple of hours ago.
I had no idea the gap between PPs and PKs for us was so huge.

emcerlain Eric McErlain RT by SkyKerstein
Overall, #Caps only have 219 Power Play opportunities on the season, 25th overall in the #NHL: http://yfrog.com/h8ckyxgj

Posted by: wocoliz | March 7, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Bruce is pissed that we haven't been getting our fair share of calls in general all season long.

He mentioned this after last nights game in which FLA had six PP's to our one PP.

I hope we get our fair share tonight. I would love to see the PP finally ignite on a night like this!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | March 7, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Here are tonight's Rooting Instructions (Monday March 7):

WAS (82 points) @ TBL (81 points): They're Baaaaack....They're back in the saddle again! Caps can not only cement first place in the division, but also gain ground on BOS and PHI for the Eastern Conference lead--with a win in regulation tonight Go CAPS!!!!.
CBJ (69) @ STL (65): Another Western tilt with few--if any--playoff implications. Yeah, sure, "Umberger is the key to playoff success". But first you have to make the playoffs. How do ya like us now, R.J.? Go Jackets.
DAL (77) @ LAK (76): A Kings win allows them to swap places with 6th-seed DAL. Go Kings.

If the current status quo holds through the end of the regular season, Caps face MTL.

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 7, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

This is an obvious attempt to get into heads, Tampa's and the refs'.

It's probably clumsy and not artful but I liken it to Namath's guarantee: if you put the words out there, it had better pay off and make you the hero. Otherwise, you're a doof.

Posted by: playahatah | March 7, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Screw Tampa Bay...3rd world country of a sports town.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 7, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbears1 | March 7, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------
I've always said that when we win the Cup, people on here will complain about the parade route.

As far as the comtempt for BB? I can say that I think he should've been fired earlier but it's too late now. Maybe he can regain the team (would be the 1st time I ever saw it but hey). I felt he lost them a long long time ago but it's obvious that he has this yr to do what he can. GMGM has filled the holes and this team should have success in the playoffs.

That being said, people here think now that he's an idiot etc. which simply isn't true. It's kinda like that Gfriend you had back in the day and when things started to go bad & you knew you were leaving all of sudden everything she did just made you want to throw up or slap her (gesture not serious). Well that's whats happened here. Everybody wants BB gone so everything he does/says is just the absolute worst thing ever.

As a side note there are some of us that can separate the 2. He's a good coach and a good person, it just appeared that he lost the team which is why I wanted a new coach. Not everything he does is the worst thing a coach could ever do or say. Altho the bird calls? Really?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 7, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

Thank's Rhino, I will follow your lead ...

... and once again I will rock the white with Riesling 2007 Bockenau/Nahe ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | March 7, 2011 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Screw Tampa Bay...3rd world country of a sports town.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 7, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Careful what you say. I'm a DC guy, but right now we could be one of the worst sports cities in terms of winning.

The last 10 years - DC one REGULAR SEASON NHL championship

Tampa - NHL champion, NFL champion, World Series runner up.

Posted by: MattBradley10 | March 7, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

He stated the obvious. Downie speaks for himself on the ice anyways. Comment probably came out of frustration since we don't have many opportunities to work on the pp if we don't get calls. Sure its no good this season but not ideal to always have to kill rather than meld. I think I call overreaction to his statement. Go caps!

Posted by: BKBK | March 7, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Ron Wilson did the exact same thing to Loserville in 1998 before the Conference Finals. Crazy Ron called them "a chicken {BLEEP} team" because they dived all over the place too.

Now granted, that comment wasn't for public consumption (he was overheard talking to the players in the huddle at practice) but Crazy Ron didn't back down one bit from it and it drove Loserville nuts.

If the Caps really don't like Tampa, just like they really don't like Pittsburgh, methinks we have little to worry about tonight because the guys will come to play and there won't be much if anything Tampa can do about it.

Posted by: CapsNut | March 7, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

... and once again I will rock the white with Riesling 2007 Bockenau/Nahe ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | March 7, 2011 2:57 PM

@FCKoeln1:

What, no Gewürztraminer or Liebfraumilch? After all, Victory is supposed to taste sweet, with a little spice :)

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 7, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

BB is saying this in an effort to get the refs to even up calls. The good refs will completely ignore this or won't even know it was said. If BB wants more PP's for our guys, tell him to work harder in the corners and be quicker to the puck and win the little battles. If they do those things more frequently we will get more PP's. Teams that work harder and are more aggressive always get the calls.

Posted by: ThePat | March 7, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I can't see Stamkos needing some BS as an incentive to play better, heck the guy is a great player because he gives his best every time he is on the ice, anyone who buys into that crap buys into a player claim of given 110% effort - hell, when someone says he is giving 110% (or anything above 100%) what he is saying is that he has is being slacking and now is willing to give a better effort - of course, he probably wont, great players don't play that game.
BB is a smart coach. He hasn't been getting the calls from the refs, his statement is meant to put a little extra pressure on the zebras.

Posted by: hock1 | March 7, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Show me where I said it was a bad thing.

Posted by: joek443

Here's your original post:
Let's examine this 4-game winning streak, shall we?

2 wins over NYI the third WORST team in the league, a win over the Blues the 8th worst team and a win over Florida the 5th worst team.

All one goal games and two went to OT.

Posted by: joek443

When I read that my impression is the poster is saying that it isn't much of a win streak because they're barely beating some of the worst teams in the league. It's the old "but who have they beaten" cliche. So, if that isn't what you meant what did you mean? Why point out that the teams were 3rd, 8th, and 5th worst in the league. Why was worst in all caps?

The teams in question have 25, 28, and 26 wins. Since they are some of the WORST teams in the league at least some of those wins had to come against quality teams. The bottom line is they are NHL teams capable of beating good NHL teams on any given night. The Caps won games they should have won.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | March 7, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I think the biggest question of all is, are we better now then we were last yr. Here are the differences in rosters.

Last yr:
Walker, Corvo, Belanger, B Morrison, S Morrison, Flash, Steckel, Theo

This yr:
Hannan, Wideman, Arnott, Johansson, Alzner, Perreault, Sturm

I would say our D is much improved. You swap out S Morrison & Corvo for Hannan & Wideman.

Our O "appears" to be figuring it out. Arnott was a huge addition at the 2C spot and has already made a huge impact in his 1st game as TEB said. He's good on the dot and a good big physical presence in the middle of the ice.

Since our D is really improved, if our "O" doesn't disappear for 3 games we just might find some success this spring.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 7, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Again we have haters. BB is smart as a CAT. Have some balls and say what you want to get in peoples heads. It is not Bulletin Board Material. Just some crap talk. I love it. DIVERS DIVERS DIVERS!!!!

Posted by: ballgame21 | March 7, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

oh man, when I saw the name of this link, I was afraid to click it. Yup, not what I wanted to read right now...Now Hartnell, HE dives...

Posted by: padre123 | March 7, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

pokerface1208:
add hendricks to the 'this yr' list also

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

How, once more is calling out the #2 point getter in the league by name who hasn't scored on you all season smart??? Really, somebody really needs to explain this to me, I have no problem with him calling Downie out but why light any sort of fire under Stamkos when he has been quiet against them all year????

Posted by: PhilR | March 7, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

This is gamesmanship & frustration. Tampa draws a lot of penalties so whine it up now and get the refs thinking a bit.

Posted by: jimc93 | March 7, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Also, what evidence is there that BB had lost the team. Good Coaches have losing streaks. The Players like playing for this guy. What the Hell did he lose.

Crazy Non Hockey folks in DC.

Posted by: ballgame21 | March 7, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

stamkos had a goal and an assist back in nov in a caps 6-3 win. BB didn't say anything about how the caps have shut him down - i'm sure stamkos knows he's struggled against the caps since then. hopefully he's more worried about diving now, than he is about scoring. i know i'd rather him think about something else other than lighting up the scoreboard on the caps.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

Do you really think that Stamkos needs to have any sort of fire lit under him for this game? Everything I read of Stamkos has shown that he will be giving a full effort this and is completely ready for it. A person is only able to give a 100% effort, if Stamkos is already doing that then no comments by anyone can increase that.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 7, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I understand the idea of getting in the refs head and if it works, great, but he addressed the discrepancy in PP opportunities in his post game interview last night. He could have put it a more genealized way with this most recent quote without signaling out specific players.

I don't hate BB, so this is not to pile on. This is just my view on pre-game posturing.

Whatever, I'll take a win.

Posted by: Moose33 | March 7, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Crazy Non Hockey folks in DC.

Posted by: ballgame21 | March 7, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------
I can't speak for anybody else but here is my reasoning anyway. This is very hard to explain typing but let me try this. If there are a ton of things happening that are "unexplainable" and the team plays as "uninspired" as they had then I say the coach has lost the team. When the coach is yelling at the top of his lungs, swearing, calling players out individually etc and there is ZERO response, then I say the coach has lost the team. When you have unexplainable things like:

1. Our PP goes from setting single season records to being in the bottom 5 in the league
2. OV goes from scoring 55, 60+ goals to 35
3. NB is wayyy off his pace
4. Offense collectively can't score
5. Etc
6. Etc
7. Etc

If I'm wrong I have no problem admitting it but I've seen a lot of things in this game and it looked to me for a long long time that BB lost the team. Teams that are just struggling still try hard and give great efforts. We weren't.

All you have to do is go about 4 hours north to see what happens when a team responds to a coach. I still don't think it's gonna happen but IF the NJ Devils make the playoffs, there's not a team in either conference that would want to play them.

Yes I've already had the disasterous thought of us facing them in the 1st round and well......

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 7, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what impact if any BB's comments will have on the game. My question is are they going to use the "rope a dope" strategy again or are they going to go with something else?

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | March 7, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Martin St Louis..

Stop him, win game. The guy just loves playing us. Need to change that.

Posted by: tslats | March 7, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

ThePat nailed it @3:02 PM.

Nothing more needs to be said on this subject.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 7, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Tell me if this story sounds familiar, we won't score in the 1st. Tampa at the end of 1 up 1-0. We exchange goals in the 2nd so we go into the 3rd down 1 (2-1). We tie it up, go to OT and lose in the SO. We're now tied in points for 1st place in the SE.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 7, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Moose: I agree with you again. I don't think there are too many GOOD times for a coach to single out players on the other team. If anything, Boudreau could have said something like maybe Boucher is getting his guys to dive and it's working because look at the powerplay imbalance. Make it then coach vs coach. It's just like in the NFL a coach never talks to the otehr team's players (or shouldn't). All that does is to INCITE.

See, Boucher could have come back with something like comparing Ovechkin to Greg Louganis but he didn't.

My opinion (hey, I'm not in the game) is that if Boudreau truly has issues with the refs, he goes to McPhee who then phones HQ in New York and lodges a complaint. Either that or in-game talk to the ref, quietly, between periods. Many times we see coach work the ref in game, quietly, and you get make-up calls.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | March 7, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

and lose in the SO.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 7, 2011 3:40 PM

it's a little early to be drinking goats blood :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Do we even want power plays? Ours is virtually unwatchable.

Posted by: underpants2 | March 7, 2011 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Yea, if you want to start singling out floppers, don't forget 28 and 8. Both have done more than their share of flopping and whining.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 7, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------

Just because it works for Phil Jackson, doesn't mean it's gonna work for the coach who has lost 3 outta 4 playoff series that he's been in.

Posted by: joek443 | March 7, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Also you don't play mind games like this with the refs and opposing players before you get to the playoffs, just shows BB still has a lot to learn.

Posted by: joek443 | March 7, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Ovie dives on a few occassions but nowhere near as much as others like Stamkos. Ovie usually just tries to plow through interferences and hooks.

-------------

Also, I wonder how many games Tampa plays at home facing a team that is coming off playing Florida the night before. It seems to happen a lot? (when Tampa plays Chicago on Wednesday, Chicago will be playing in Florida on Tuesday)

Is it more than other teams have at home facing a team coming on the back end of a back-to-back road set? I know it goes both ways with Tampa sometimes getting the first home game in the back-to-back sets, but it does seem to happen a lot for the Florida trips.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 7, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

What thePat said.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | March 7, 2011 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@Capt:

LOL! It's after noon already so I'm not a "goatbloodaholic".

I only said we'd lose b/c we're aren't the best in OT or SO's.

Honestly, I'd like to think we're gonna put up a good effort tonight. I think the new guys have injected some "life" into this team. I have to be cautiously optimistic though, there were many times I thought we were ready to turn the corner and didn't. Tonight is a statement game to me and it has nothing to do with the standings.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 7, 2011 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"I can't speak for anybody else but here is my reasoning anyway...... "

He hasn't lost the team. If he had lost the team their problems would have to do with the team doing poorly because they aren't doing what the system is asking them to do. You would see the players reverting to firewagon hockey on occasion. The Caps are running the system like it's being taught but the problem is that the new system sucks. It creates zero scoring opportunities and zero odd man rushes.

The problem with the team is not that they aren't listening to BB. The problem is that BB and co. and have instituting a system that is horrible. The system is so overboard on the defensive game that it makes every single game a coin flip.

Posted by: ouvan59 | March 7, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | March 7, 2011 3:53 PM

so the refs only ignore coaches that have poor playoff records?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443

Just because BB lost 3 out of 4 playoff series does not mean it won't work for him either.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 7, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

And let's not forget, calling a player a "diver" is a disparaging remark. It's like if Showalter on teh Orioles said our infielders could take more time against certain players because "they don't run out ground balls." Or if Harbaugh on the Ravens said we'd run at a certain cornerback because he "doesn't really like to tackle."

There's got to be a better way.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | March 7, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

so the refs only ignore coaches that have poor playoff records?
---------------------------

well let's see, wouldn't you take whining from Phil Jackson more seriously than from Erik Spoelstra or the Van Gundy brothers???

Posted by: joek443 | March 7, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I think the new guys have injected some "life" into this team.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 7, 2011 3:57 PM

true - although they are worse in SO than OT - good thing there aren't any of those in the playoffs.
i agree - and i hope it is not just 'short term'

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1 | March 7, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Maybe joek443 believes the refs think like him so they will think, since BB has such a poor playoff record, he can be ignored.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | March 7, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

---------------sgm3------------------

Sounds like you've never competed before, sgm, as there's a HUGE difference between effort and motivation. (cstanton really does have you pegged, eh?) When superior effort combines with intense desire, watch out! I guess you wouldn't know though, sgm, because you only watch the Caps where it's one of the other but rarely both. The Caps deserve better than BB.

BOLTS = LOSERS

Posted by: vermontcaps | March 7, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

sgm3,

Sorry but I have to disagree with you....Every athlete has that little extra gear that they put in for such occasions as this IMO. Why are the Caps/Pens or Flyers/Pens games always so competitive? Because of the rivalry and that brings that gear out in players. I think it is simliar when a player is called out...look what happened to the Jets when they called out Tom Brady in the regular season on Sunday Night Football. They left the field embarassed and Brady left proving himself, this is the same situation IMHO and hope it doesn't come back to bite us cause the guy has done very little against the Caps all year.

Posted by: PhilR | March 7, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

For the newbies on the team. Wideman has a -1 plus/minus rating against Tampa (4 games) this year and Arnott is a +1 with a goal in 3 games.

As far as BB's comments, we could do without them. Don't mind his comments after last night's game, it was a little whiny, but the penalty call numbers are a somewhat tilted. ThePat is right "If BB wants more PP's for our guys, tell him to work harder in the corners and be quicker to the puck and win the little battles."

Than again, our PP is a waste of two minutes in which we could be scoring 5-on-5. Gods knows we can score with the man advantage.

Posted by: ttenner | March 7, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I think Bruce had been overexposed to Hadeed carpet cleaner before talking.

Posted by: theAnswerIs42 | March 7, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I think Bruce had been overexposed to Hadeed carpet cleaner before talking.

Posted by: theAnswerIs42 | March 7, 2011 4:16 PM

I thought it was something in the ketchup.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 7, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

That stuff can mess up your bird calls you know?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 7, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Correction to previous post, should say "Gods knows we can't score with the man advantage."

Posted by: ttenner | March 7, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Coaches who resort to calling out other teams players are usually considered classless. BB needs to act a little more...maybe a lot more...like a professional. Shut up and beat the team on the ice. If these comments backfire, he'll look like a real loser.

Posted by: vahockeyfan | March 7, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

BOLTS = LOSERS

Posted by: vermontcaps

Ahh vermontcaps, but I was saying that with such a big game looming late in the year between the Caps and the Lightning, that not only would Stamkos be giving his great effort he would be doing so with a much greater desire to win than on most other game nights. Hence, his desire and effort would have been increased for this game regardless of any quote BB said.

-------

@PhilR

See above. I do agree that sometimes certain happenings can get players more motivated for games. But I don't buy this for playoff games and such as almost all players are motivated regardless of bulletin board material. If this was a normal regular season game against Ottawa, and BB called out their stars then I would say that would have greater effect because those stars may not have been pumped up otherwise. Considering the importance of this regular season game and the decent amount of hype it is getting in the media, I think Stamkos and the others are already pumped up to play this game and that the small comment BB made will do nothing.

I do remember the Brady game, but I don't think he had more success in that game because of the comments that were made. I think it may have led the Pats to run up the score more.

IMO, the hype factor made by comments is greatly exaggerated by the media because it gives the talking heads more to talk about leading up to the game, and then they use revisionist histroy to describe what happen.

(i.e., Lets assume the game tonight is evenly played. If Tampa wins tonight in that evenly played game by 1 goal the story will be how BB got Stamkos and Tampa pumped up and it cost them the game. If the exact same game was pretty much played as above, but the Caps win by 1 goal due to them getting a bounce instead of Tampa, then it will be written how BB used the words to get inside Tampa's heads and the officials.)

I think that there is so much talk and these rich professional athletes hear so much, that the effect of statements is greatly overblown by the media just to give them something to talk about in their stories and on their shows.

This applies to all sports.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 7, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | March 7, 2011 4:03 PM

if they do - they shouldn't be reffing in the league

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember Bylsma's comments on Neuvirth's goaltending abilities during HBO's 24/7?

Neuvirth responded with back-to-back shutouts. All the players know the importance of tonight's game, don't need to stoke the fire.

Posted by: ttenner | March 7, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

There's got to be a better way.
----------------

Well-put, and great analogies - but the 'code' is so big in hockey, I almost think what BB did was worse, you're disparaging the other players' honor.

I've defended BB in the past few years, but this struck me as kind of bush league, to be honest.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | March 7, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ttenner | March 7, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

The difference is that BB just said that they dive. So if they did what Neuvy did and make sure that what was pointed out wasn't a weakness then that means that those two would not dive tonight which will probably take away one PP for TB. He wasn't saying they aren't good players just that they tend to dive a bit. If he had said they are not good or over rated then you can talk about bulitin boards and that stuff this was nothing more then trying to take away a PP for TB. Coaches and players did the same thing to Crosby for years and sometimes he played well in that game and sometimes he didn't, it had no effect on how well he played. This is getting way overblown. It is like the Heat coach saying some of his players were crying after a loss. Listening to sports radio today you would think the Heat players were little babys when all he was saying was that they were upset after the loss.

Posted by: icehammer97 | March 7, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

if that comment were made about ovi by TB's coach, do you really think he would have to use it as motivation?

could it make a difference - maybe.
but any player that needs bulletin board material - isn't ready to play on any given night anyway. that doesn't sound like an elite players preparation/attitude to me.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Maybe because BB said the thing about players diving - they will go out of their way not to dive and that means right there they are acting out of their comfort zone.

The "great" Scotty Bowman would do stuff like this and half might be to get officials to be a little slower to blow the whistle while part might be to get in the opponents head.

Either way - TB already has lots on their plate with the 4 game losing streak, Stamkos slump, bad goaltending lately so its just piling on.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | March 7, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

i don't really get the BB hating.....last year the team raced through the season out scoring everybody...it was fun to watch. however they won by outscoring teams. there wasn't much defense played. then came the playoffs and mtl clogged up center ice and had a hot goalie. it shut down the dynamite offense and the caps weren't ready to play that type of game. this year they install a new defense first system. the race horse caps bucked. it's not BB losing the team, it's the team not being allowed to play the brand of hockey they had been used too. you could see them chafing at the bit. like race horses in the gate right before the race starts. it has been fun watching the evolution of this team, from out of control racers, to under control pacers. we all know this caps team has firepower, now we know they can win a close game too. it's what they are going to see in the playoffs. i think this year they will be more ready for it. that is what a coaches job is. to prepare. he learned last year and he corrected this year. if you checked his win-loss record, it's pretty high for active coaches.

Posted by: joerutgens72 | March 7, 2011 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Maybe BB should just be quiet. I'm sorry to say this, but Ovechkin has been known to "act" before. I mean BB's team had to go to OT last night to beat a depleted Panther team. Now his damn "Cup Holder" commercial is running again. If I was him, I'd send back some of the money and beg them to stop running that ad. Shut up, keep your team motivated, and try to ride into the playoffs on a high note.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | March 7, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse

not sure why BB would make such pointed comments before the game but kudos to Katie for getting the quotes.

As for tonight: I was thoroughly impressed with tha Caps last time they played the Bolts. I had been extremely critical of BB prior to that game, but afterwards I felt as if BB had out-coached Boucher and I felt it was probably the Caps' best game all year.

I expect to see a lot of dump-ins and four corners by the Caps tonight.

Posted by: PSD1 | March 7, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"The numbers don't lie from the last 4 games...Caps PP ops=6 ; Opposition PP ops=17. Those have been four very close games where no team overly dominated the other."
Posted by: jimc93 | March 7, 2011 3:16 PM

Has it occurred to you that the Caps might just be taking some dumb penalties, led by the chairman of the dumb penalty club, AS28?
Erskine slides to take away a pass, but there was no reason for him to lift his stick in the guy's skates as he arrives. Wideman is off balance, but he could have done a better job of controlling his stick as he spun around. If one of those two things doesn't happen, there is probably no OT last night.
Caps need to stay out of the box. That's all.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | March 7, 2011 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Can't understand why BB would try to get under Stamkos' skin. Besides one PP goal in D.C. in a game the Caps won 6-3, he hasn't scored or been a big factor in any games. Downie is an agitator who seems to get under the skin of a number of the Caps so glad he's out tonight. I don't see giving a team that has lost a 6 point lead while have an 11-game homestand as being too smart. If the Caps get shut down tonight, thank BB for opening his big mouth.

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 7, 2011 5:07 PM | Report abuse

If the Caps get shut down tonight, thank BB for opening his big mouth.

Posted by: wizfan89

That's writing a revisionist history. Like I mentioned above, if the Caps lose then it is BB's fault, if the Caps win then BB will get the credit.

Well, what happens if the comment has no effect on the game whatsoever? If Tampa wins, BB will still get the blame because people have already decided where blame will be assigned before actually watching to see what events occur. If the Caps win, BB will be given unnecessary credit(not on this board, but in general).

Posted by: sgm3 | March 7, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Stick & stones gals.
If you think words will beat a team or give them extra incentives.

You've never laced them up.
Fraidy cats. Baloney that you gals thing like a bunch of never was.

BB has done more right that all of you put together.

Posted by: Rocc00 | March 7, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Stick & stones gals.
If you think words will beat a team or give them extra incentives.

You've never laced them up.
Fraidy cats. Baloney that you gals thing like a bunch of never was.

BB has done more right that all of you put together.

Posted by: Rocc00 | March 7, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I can thnak all the wimpy Caps fans to act like a bunch of cowards before a big game.

Come big or lose big.
Man up gals.

Posted by: Rocc00 | March 7, 2011 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Caps fans want their team to be tough & gritty.
Apparently, the same doesn't apply to the same shaking Caps fans.

Can't wait to see the paw licking before & during the playoffs.

Posted by: Rocc00 | March 7, 2011 5:34 PM | Report abuse

...if you checked his win-loss record, it's pretty high for active coaches.

Posted by: joerutgens72 | March 7, 2011 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Boudreau has the highest winning percentage in NHL history for ANY coach that has been behind the bench for 250+ games.

He is +101 Wins over losses in regular season.

He either gets the credit or is lucky to have the job but something has worked since late 2007 when he arrived.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | March 7, 2011 5:42 PM | Report abuse

...if the net of BB's comments is to shut down the acting on both teams for just one game--then advantage CAPS. So we'll just have to wait and see.

Posted by: oddjob1 | March 7, 2011 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Lead us to the promised land internet tough guy Rocc00!

Posted by: theAnswerIs42 | March 7, 2011 6:07 PM | Report abuse

don't feed the trolls people!

Posted by: FrankM73 | March 7, 2011 6:26 PM | Report abuse

@ Wiley: You apparently haven't watched the Capitals much less #28 since 2009. Quit hitting the rewind button on that vhs tape you have of the one game your mom recorded for you where #28 incurred one dumb penalty and then use that as your only basis for making that moronic comment that he's leading the team in dumb penalties. He's improved. Unlike you, Alexander Semin learns from his mistakes.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 7, 2011 7:17 PM | Report abuse

BTW, is anyone else ticked off that after we trade Steckel to the Devils, for some stupid reason, the Pittsburgh Gazette somehow or other convinced him the words "I'm sorry" needed to be said? I think that was degrading to have him utter that unnecessary apology. I would have Stecks straight out flip them the bird and flat out state, "Next time, try looking where you're skating, Crosby." Or "There's more where that came from." I hate that they did that to him. If there's any justice, I hope there's a way we can snag him back.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 7, 2011 7:22 PM | Report abuse

"No mater what Bruce does, the haters will come out. Hell if we win a cup and he is the coach..."

I'll worry about that when it happens. Until then...

Posted by: pga6 | March 7, 2011 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Many of these posts are from pansies. This isn't golf, it's hockey. You have to love a guy like Boudreau. If his interview doesn't get his own players riled up than they don't deserve to put on the uniform. Go get 'em Brucie!

Posted by: bobilly2 | March 7, 2011 8:30 PM | Report abuse

The Great 28!

Posted by: DCSPORTSFANATIC | March 7, 2011 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Phil Jackson does this almost every year before the playoffs. Remember when he announced to the world that Steve Nash carries the ball all the time? Was he worried about Nash reading what he said? Of course not. He was addressing his message to the officials, and he was hoping that when reporters asked Nash about his comments, maybe Nash wouldn't turn the ball over so much and thereby lose some of his amazing control on the dribble.

Maybe Boudreau is doing the same thing — addressing the officials and trying to subconsciously make the Lightning stop diving so much.

Posted by: DC2Dallas | March 7, 2011 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Hulk Holtby!

Posted by: DCSPORTSFANATIC | March 7, 2011 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Folks, this is our team for the remainder of the year. Let's support them all the way and enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts!

Lets go CAPS!!!

Posted by: DCSPORTSFANATIC | March 7, 2011 10:02 PM | Report abuse

THAT is what i'm talkin' about.....

Posted by: joerutgens72 | March 7, 2011 10:08 PM | Report abuse