Open thread: Capitals vs. Lightning

By Lindsay Applebaum

The Washington Capitals (11-4-0) look for their sixth straight win as they host Steven Stamkos and the revamped Tampa Bay Lightning (8-4-2), who figure to pose more of a challenge in the Southeast Division than in seasons past. Chat about the game in the comments below, or join the conversation on Twitter with beat writer Katie Carrera (@kcarrera). See your tweets here by using #caps.

Faceoff: 7 p.m., Verizon Center; TV: CSN, NHLN; Radio: 820, 1500 AM.

Click here for a live game summary.

By Lindsay Applebaum  | November 11, 2010; 6:55 PM ET
Categories:  Tampa Bay Lightning
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's lineup: Lightning at Caps
Next: Alexander Semin's second hat trick of the year propels Caps past Lightning

Comments

I am still waiting for Ovie to have one of "those" games!

I can't think of a better game for him to WOW us again.

WE HAVE TO STAY OUT OF THE BOX!

If I see that kid score that patented one timer from the top of the left circle I am going to have a fit.

THIS IS A STATEMENT GAME! We MUST assert our dominance of this division!

GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I have a question to ask next time there's one of those video chats!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY, PAST AND PRESENT!!!

GOD BLESS THE USA!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Man that looked like a goal

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

neuvy should be thanking the crossbar

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

NEUVY!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

He clearly had his posts and crossbar blessed before the game.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I am moderately pissed now

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey they let the first goal in... imagine that.

Posted by: jdove80 | November 11, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

guess we get to see if the new pk does what it should against a good pp

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Is that woman behind BB related to him?

just askin'

K-Bus just earned his way on the top line again and made a stupid Boo Boo

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

semin is awesome on the pk

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Semin looked offsides on the pk rush

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

that was stupid

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

WTF
MR
CARLSON!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

St. Louis is THEE scary small guy of recent years.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

POTI is back!!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back Mr. Poti!

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 11, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

huh
did somebody score?
i see people posting, so we MUST HAVE DONE GOOD!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

awesome stick control by knuble

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

the boys are buzzing

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 11, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

holy cow somebody scored again and i missed it.

dammit

go caps

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

nice - more pk time and no gordo

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

holy cow somebody scored again and i missed it.

dammit

go caps

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 8:18 PM

keep doing what your doing - it's working

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

bradley no bloody

cool

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

the bradley fighting vehicle

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Hate seeing guys start fights over clean hits. Been to common the last few seasons.

Posted by: jdove80 | November 11, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I HAVE to look at the numbers!!!

I just have not heard certain names or seen certain jerseys!!

WHERE IS THE ....ONE?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Not so great first period
Awesome second period!
Keep it up Caps!

Posted by: ksaul79 | November 11, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

caps are out hitting tb 22-12
alzner and flash with 2 and steckel has 4 - maybe the first day on the job for the official scorer?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jdove80 | November 11, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I think the instagating rule needs to be enforced more on plays like that and I also think it should be changed to either a double minor or a 5 minute major. Give a team a 5 minute PK for a guy starting a fight for a clean hit and you will see a lot less of it in the game.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 11, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

How about we finally get a call stripes?

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 11, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

any chance they'll call 4 penalties on tb to even this up a bit?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

About time.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 11, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

15:43 first PP

SEMIN!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Semin!

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 11, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

semin is a beast!!
that one penalty - 3 to go

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Let's stay out of the box now guys and play solid D.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 11, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

semin is amazing.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

What a rocket! Semin wants a new contract

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 11, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

How was the not a call on Tampa that started that play?

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 11, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

o 2 tha v

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Nice answer back after they should have tied it.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 11, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

well - this game proves that Semin is an albatross around this team's neck - NOT!!

Posted by: ebolean1 | November 11, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

We simply must keep him, and he is telling us why.

btw, ovie agrees

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 11, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

3 goals, 5 points, someone had a good night.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 11, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

6 goals and only one PP oportunity! Impressive! Go Semin!! Ov needs to start out muscling the opposition like Semin has been. We got out shot, but I don't feel like we were outplayed.

Posted by: capscoach | November 11, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Semin is a brilliant player. Not only does he score goals, he also sets up plays and helps out on the PK. He's an essential cog for a team vying for its 1st ever Stanley Cup. Well done, Alex!

Posted by: Terptwin | November 11, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Boston, Philly, Rangers, and Tampa - that's a nice run.

How about Chimera putting pressure on the d with his speed? Flash skated hard too, though not much to show for it.

Posted by: zmega | November 11, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Is there going to be enough cap space to sign Semin? OV and Backs's contracts take up a big chunk of that space...

Part of me wants Semin to stay long term, but part of me has watched him have countless brain cramps & take plenty of stupid penalties...

Question for all is this:

If the Caps are one shut down D-man away from making a serious run at the Cup this spring, should GMGM pull the trigger on a trade?

Posted by: TimDz | November 11, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Semin can be resigned if he is willing to take a bit of a hometown discount. We have him for $6m now and have cap space to spare. Now we have several guys we need to resign so Semin will have to come back for around $5.5 or less. The key issue will be not after this season but after next when we have to talk to Green. He will still be an RFA but will be due to make more than the $5.2m he is making now. If we do resign Semin for more than one year we might have an issue when talking to Green.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 11, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

POSTGAME THOUGHTS:
Welcome back Tom Poti - nice goal although you had a few gaffes - meh - thank goodness it didn't come back to haunt you.

Alexander Semin - you're a beast - keep it up.

Good to see Ovi get one in the net again.

A sleepy turned gritty hard working effort.

Refs - can f*** off. One penalty on the Lightning all night? Spare me that crap.

Boston - check. Philly - check. Rangers - check. Lightning - check.

Any doom and gloomers or anal analysts out there care to find something wrong with this team right now? Sure there are strengths and weaknesses but right now this team is taking care of business. Better yet - just keep your traps shut. Shhhh.

On to Buffalo - time to take out the Sabres. Does Ryan Miller make his return? It could be interesting.

It's been a two point night.

ICE BREAKERS GOAL SHAKERS.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | November 11, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

The Caps will keep Semin. They will make the room. However Green is not the problem. Remember we have all young goalies which are all good value at this point and have low end contracts. that is where the problem is long term. Semin is becoming one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL for almost two years aside from his offensive upside. He is like a Hossa.

Posted by: pkme | November 11, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

the bradley fighting vehicle

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 8:27 PM

That's my line! BTW, I said it to my daughter when he was being ushered to the box!

Yes, plenty of cap space for Semin at 6.2 and Laich at 3.75. And this was with Varly at 2.75, which as of now he's unlikely to hit. BTW, I'll post next year's cap sheet Monday so you can see.

Hey, we got kinda lucky with the posts. Ane Neuvy's rebound control was atrocious. Other than that, thanks to Ted Leonsis for buying that herd of goats for Knuble.

Oh, and Semin, he's never been this complete of a player. I worry though, a little, with a long term deal (see: Kovalchuk, Ilya). Then again, the Caps are Semin's comfort zone. He knows it and McPhee knows it. Could they sign him ten years, $65M to match remaining ten years on Ovi deal? That thought isn't absurd.

Nobody on earth thought of backie ten years until nostrathomas posted repeatedly for nine months he'd sign 11/6.5 ea to match Ovi. And it happened. Now Sasha looks happier and more productive than I've ever seen him. Go fot it. Ten years, $65M. Then next year sign Green (his deal has an extra year to go) for nine years at about $6.5-7.0M/season. Ovi, Backie, Semin, Green. The Four Musketeers. Together. Forever. I'm just so sappy.

As it is written, so it shall be.

nostrathomas

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 11, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

my guess is that they would sign semin for five years. How about all those clowns that have said for years to trade Semin and Green. They just have not watched enough hockey in their lifetime to know elite talent or all the little and big things Semin and Green do for the Caps.

Posted by: pkme | November 11, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

ice: Here is a prediction you can take to the bank. Semin will never, ever, ever, ever (really) sign another contract, not at least for ten years, for under $6M. Never. He's way too good for 5.5, and we'll be lucky if we can snare him in at under $7M. He's really playing better than Gaborik, and that figure is 7.5.

WE can fir them in because Varly won't get much of a raise, Alzner will actually go down to around $1M, Carlson might get about 1.1 unless he catches on fire, Laich will get his 3.75 and Flash will be gone and replaced by next up from Hershey. Bradley might stay at 1.1, Gordo will be gone and Erskine, if he comes back, will be at same figure. Meanwhile, NHL is doing OK so cap should have a 2% or so increase for an extra $1.2M to $60.6M.

If Caps can sign Semin, Green and Laich long-term, they will allbe bargains in five years with new TV deal.

BTW, I forgot to include Knuble contract ends so you get 2.8 from him and even if he comes back it will be 1.5 or less. Plenty of space! There might even be room for a shutdown D man!

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 11, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 11, 2010 11:09 PM

yes it is (you could have used it yourself if you weren't MIA during the game). every time he fights - it's what i think of. he didn't bleed this time either

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

@Tom. I know Semin can get much, MUCH more if he were to go after money in the open market just like Gabby did in NY. However, with the whole Kovy saga in NJ I get the feeling there are some teams that would not be willing to give too much to one player. Also I would not discount how much Semin likes being on a team with Ovechkin and all of the other Russians (while only Varly is here now Kuznetsov should be here in a year or two as well as Galiev as another possible Russian and Dmitri Orlov
as another possibility). Semin has shown he is happier playing with Ovechkin and could take a bit of a pay cut to stay with his friends. He will have to decide what is more important happiness or money. If he chooses happiness he could be back at less than $6m if he chooses money he will be gone.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 12, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

@Jonathan
@tominsocal

Green AND Brooks "I can't sleep at night, because I didn't block Halak's line of site" Laich have shown little in the playoffs. They're not bargains, because we've watched great regular season hockey all through the 80's. It's time to win a cUp.

I like Mike Green, but he was horrific against the Habs. The olympic whine-fest made it even worse.

These three guys needed to kick some tail against the Habs. They never would have beaten the Flyers, because that fan base demands playoff hovkey, unlike us.

I'm not sure these guys are playing well enough considering the magnitude of the up 3-1 implosion. We're still talkin' Tampa, early, and the regular season.

We'll find a way to turn an average NHL goalie into Roy again this post season.

Sorry Tom, I've moved to the darkside !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 12, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Capt: MIA? I wasn't missing! I swear to God I know where I was!

Anyway, I have a two-story house. I say this because I had one of those in Bel Air, MD but then I had a rancher thing (there were almost no two-story in Orlando) in FL. This cheap-a$$ computer from medieval times (early 00s) is in the upstairs, master bedroom. The 58" HD TV is downstairs in the family room. I cannot watch there and do computer simultaneously. The new house has an added 50" HD TV in the MB (it was my father's day present, so I could watch western channel w/o bothering others), but I usually opt for the 58" downstairs for that family affair thing.

BTW, my oldest daughter turns 30 soon and she is going through NHL catalogue for caps hoodie and other stuff she wants for her birthday. You can imagine how happy that makes me since it was my dad who got me interested in hockey in Detroit and now I passed it along and my daughters love it too. Sorry if I get teary eyed anyone wants to make fun you can stuff an Easton up through your body and out your mouth.

Anyway, bottom line, I pretty much don't mulit-plex and watch hockey while computering. Add to that like today with games starting at 4 pm PST we often start them late on replay so if using computer I'd be seeing results before watching. Today for instance we watched 1st period and then ran out to pick up daughter's car from shop and then rushed home to FF to start of 2nd. We finally "caught up" at the start of the third.

What's really funny with this replay thing is Caps were losing 1-0 and we get back from picking up car from shop and we are now watching tape delay and I pop open red wine, 2005 Souverain cab, in advance of ribeyes for dinner (mrstominsocal1 was not yet home) and even though on tape delay I pour a splash of wine and hold up glass and tell daughter Caps can score now and even though delay that's exactly when Poti scored.

And so I tell her, "You know, the Caps really didn't score, but since I opened the wine, it changed history, and it gave them the goal, and no one will ever know that I should get the credit."

I really don't think any of you people realize how much I contribute to this organization. As a for instance mrstominsocal1 came home and cooked those ribeyes and snatched up the rest of that Ch Souverain Alexander Valley (wow! didn't even make ALEXANDER Valley distinction) leaving me sans wine after the steak had been eaten. I therefore untwisted a 2009 Anakena sauvignon blanc (high rec) and have been sipping ever since as a preliminary prep for rock the white at Buffalo. Additionally for those interested I will be going to the beach in Santa Barbara Saturday and watching delay at night but drinking Tecate at the beach to further "rock the white." For those further interested this is More Mesa Beach in Santa Barbara and those nasty bathing suit thingys are "optional." Yes, you can exercise your option to "be free."

There's a time to wear a Caps jersey and a time to not. He-he.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 12, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Hunterforcoach: It's OK, really.

You see, you have Dark Siders like yourself and then there's the Kool Aid drinkers. Opposites...who keep the universe iin balance.

I was, I believe, given a very, very special gift by, well, whatever deity you happen to believe in. A most special gift. And why do I say that? Because whereas you and most people develop a conviction and hold to that, I have a deep-rooted desire to try and please everyone by seeing their points of view and, therefore, avoid concluding until I have "heard from all sides."

Most people insist on trying to force their POV on others, or even calling those who don't agree "stupid." Here's my thing, I'm sharing a secret, maybe it's the wine, but I have always believed that everyone is right, to SOME extent, and it's just a matter of matching up how much you are right with how much the other guy is right. None of us have been given a mandate from God to proclaim like Moses with the two stone tablets, and therefore it is incumbent on each of us to try and reason with others to understand their point of view.

My name is tominsocal1 and I approve that message.

No, seriously, whatever people post here, unless they are trolls, they are either correct in absolute terms to some extent or else whatever it is, the topic of their speculation, it cannot be proven (ex: is Kovalchuk worth the money?) until way out in the future.

Sorry if I listened to too much John Lennon in the 70s. Imagine though if we all just tried.

The bottom line, Huntsy, is your point of view is from one side of the spectrum. Proof though is not in tomorrow's pudding but far off into the future. Are you right? Wrong? Hey, who can predict the future?

nostrathomas

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 12, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

"We're talkin' the regular season here. Where were all the net crashing goals by Semin in the playoffs the past three years ? Sasha cares more about a contract than a cUp. Bad news. Guy swallowed his stick against Habs."

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 12, 2010 12:15 AM

since when is it semin's role to crash the net?
you might as well ask:
why isn't ovi winning faceoffs?
why doesn't fehr go down to block shots on the pk?
how come schultz never scores in a shoot out?

"I've moved to the darkside !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

when were you not on the darkside?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 12, 2010 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 12, 2010 12:15 AM

Obviously, you did not watch the playoffs or you don’t understand the game very well. Contrary to popular BS, last year Semin was one of, if not, the best player the Caps had in the playoffs; just because his shots didn’t go in the net didn’t mean the guy was not playing his heart out or not playing well at all. The guy was all over the ice which is more than can be said for a lot of the other super-stars - AND HE DID NOT HAVE A CONSTANT SET OF LINE MATES DURING THE WHOLE YEAR. Notice what happens when he plays with guys of the same caliber (OV, Backs) as him, even if they don’t play together much of the time, now imagine what he would be like if he had a constant line with great players like him. The guy, as some people say it, is a beast and one of the best players in the NHL. I have said it before and I would say it again: This guy is playing with a big handicap - a constant rotation of line mates.

Posted by: hock1 | November 12, 2010 1:39 AM | Report abuse

Capt: The Dark Side isn't necessarily bad.

It just "is."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 12, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse

Hunts is so far on the Dark Side that if he takes a couple more steps it will be light again...but thy are valid points, this team is very talented, now they have to take their games a notch or two higher for the playffs

Posted by: boomer44 | November 12, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse