Team A Looks to Eliminate Team C

Alex Ovechkin, Viktor Kozlov and the rest of Team A (0-0) can end Team C's dream of hoisting the Gaetan Duchesne Cup in a few moments. As usual, I'll post updates during and after the game right here. Team C lost, 3-1, to Team B yesterday.

A little news to pass along: Nicklas Backstrom won't suit up for Team A, but his sprained right ankle continues to improve. He skated this morning with Team B and, for the first time since suffering the injury last week, participated in all the drills. He told me afterward that he no longer is worried about the injury lingering.

Update:At the end of the first period, Team C is ahead 1-0 on a goal by Michael Nylander (from Chris Clark and Tomas Fleischmann). Speaking of Clark, one could make the argument that he was the was best forward on the ice.

Mike Green had another beautiful end-to-end rush, but this time he kept the puck and attempted to slip the puck past Michael Neuvirth, who stuffed him. Neuvirth made a number of impressive saves, including a two-on-none stop of Francois Bouchard, who was fed the puck by Mathieu Perrault.

Ovechkin, meantime, had a couple of opportunities but Brent Johnson was solid in Team C's net.

Update:Since someone asked about the actual trophy, I've got the lowdown: it has been purchased and is expected to be delivered via overnight mail, I'm told by sources. It's a silver cup on top of a wood base and will be about a foot long. It's scheduled to be engraved early tomorrow morning and at Kettler in time for the champions to hoist it.

Update:It's 1-1 after 50 minutes. Team A pulled even with a goal by Viktor Kozlov, who beat Daren Machesney with a wrist shot from in tight. Also, Jay Beagle and Kyle Wilson dropped their gloves, but no punches were thrown.

Quintin Laing, by the way, continues to do his job well. While killing a penalty for Team A, he dropped down to block a blistering one-timer from Ovechkin. Ouch.

Update:Team C was eliminated moments ago, 3-2, in a shootout.

Chris Bourque put Team A ahead 2-1 midway through the third, but Clark beat Varlamov with a laser of a wrist shot to force the game to the shootout. Kozlov and Ovechkin each beat Machesney in penalty shots, while Varlamov turned aside Nylander and Clark to secure the win.

Update:The championship game (Team B vs. A) will be tomorrow at noon.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 22, 2008; 12:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 1 of the Gaetan Duchesne Cup (Updated)
Next: Clark's Charitable Endeavor

Comments

As explained from the last thread, I'm here live. Anyone else here that wants to say hi, I'm the young dude with the laptop in the stands.

Teams are just now getting on the ice. BLue is on the away bench, white on home. Ovie and team A are in blue.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

From what I've seen, Backstrom isn't out there right now. He may not be skating the scrimmage.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Tarik and corndog

Posted by: CP | September 22, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

CapsCorndog -

I want a play-by-play :)

Posted by: TJ | September 22, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Go Team A! So Tarik, has BB come up with an actual Gaetan Duchesne Cup? If so, is it paper or plastic?

Will we be seeing any pink accessories during camp?

Good news about Backis!

Posted by: Jill | September 22, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

is green out there?? hows he doing?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I know some people may not like Joe B's commentating fashion and such, but you can't knock the man's passion for the game and the Caps. I see him standing by the class near Team A's net.

Just passed Tarik, was being thanked by a couple of fans. I'd like to reiterate those remarks, thanks for all your amazing coverage of the Caps. We have it good as fans.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Who doesn't like Joe B??? How could you not?

Posted by: Jill | September 22, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@ Anon
Green is out there for Team C (like he was yesterday) and the teams are just warming up right now, so I can't comment on that just yet.

@ TJ

I'll try but I'm not sure I can do that much. =P

Pretty good turn out for a Monday.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Puck is about to drop, Neuvirth starting for A and Johnny in net for C. First line for A is Ovie-Aucoin-Kozlov with Poti-Schultz on D.

C has Laing, Maxwell and Steckel with Mo and Green on D.

On a random side note, this particular commenter knows the referee.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

How tall is Joe B? He always looks like he's standing on a stack of phone books when he's next to Craig L on tv.

Posted by: Steve R | September 22, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Fleischmann needs to learn to stay on his feet. Team C has had most of the chances thus far, with Neuvirth making two relatively routine stops.

Perreault had the best chance so far with a good move on Helmer and a shot that was blockered away by Neuvirth. A iced it afterwards.

Good passing play with Bouchard and Perreault, Perreault set up the pinching Mestery in front, but Neuvirth made the stop.

Pinizotto had a break away after a whiff on the point by I think Mestery, Johnson stopped it with the pad.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R

Joe B is a short dude.

First REAL hit of the scrimmage by Beagle, nothing to write home about.

Nylander just took a shot, Neuvirth gloved it, and the faceoff was won by Nylander.

Neuvirth with another glvoe save this time on Amadio from the point.

Clark just had a wide open net and missed, Neuvirth just getting a pad on it, but the play developed again behind the net and Nylander beat Neuvirth to the glove.

1-0 C

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Great updates Corndog, keep 'em coming!

Does anyone know if the preseason game will be on TV on Wed? Or streamed online?

Posted by: 8b4Ovie | September 22, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

8b4Ovie - I think its going to be streamed, no TV.

Posted by: TJ | September 22, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the play-by-play - keep it coming!

Posted by: Vlad | September 22, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

C has pretty much dictated the play thus far. The only exception was when OVie was out there.

Johnny just made a nice pad save point blank on Broda in front. The line for A is Osala Broda and Bradley, the have good energy out there.

Green just made a beautiful move going end to end and Neuvirth came up with the save. He looks good out there so far (Neuvirth) despite being beat by Nyles.

Green took another shot from the point this time, and Neuvirth was screened but made the stick save. Ovie and Green collide.

C has definitely had the vast majority of puck possession I'd say, and it's sticking in A's end for the most part. Nylander is going hard, and doing a great job. I'd say he's ready for this season, no doubt about it.

Pokulok looks big out there, and has made some good reads for A so far.

Godfrey let one of his slappers fly, but Johnson made the easy save, Johnny looks composed, but hasn't been tested too toughly yet.

Ovie just took his first shot, but Johnson made the blocker save, Team A is starting to ramp up the pressure more.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Joe B. is tiny... I followed him out of the press box one day. I'm 6'3" and I think he came up to like my chest.

Posted by: Murshawursha | September 22, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Any word on Pokulok?

Is he healthy?

Is he participating?

Can he at least make the Bears this season?

Or is he done with the Caps for good? That would be kind of a big deal.. he was the first-round pick in 2005..

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | September 22, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks CCD, great coverage, not sure this is work appropriate, but what the hey. XM Radio and Caps play by play.

For all of you guys focused on the Caps Ice girls, check out the Tampa website. They have a video of a photo shoot with the Tampa ice girls. Warm weather and beaches have certain advantages!

Posted by: Bob | September 22, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Flash does look like he packed on some muscle, and he's going hard too, to the front and working the boards some. First penalty. Beagle heads to the box, didn't catch the call.

Nylander Clark Flash with Lepisto and Green on the PP for C

For some reason Clark took the offensive zone faceoff.

Two good chances, Neuvirth makes some decent stops.

Second Unit on the PP is Perreualt, Bouchard and Mink with Lepisto and Green still on the points.

Perreault and Bouchard seem to always know where each other are. They're starting too looking like each other even.

Penalty is over, Beagle goes to the bench for Aucoin, and it's 5 on 5.

Nylander made a great pass to the point for the shot, Neuvirth came up with the stop.

Hadn't seen much of Alzner, but I just saw him.

Kozlov just went end to end for a pass to Sloan that was stopped by Johnson

On the other side Maxwell with a golden opportunity that Neuvirth robbed with the glove. Got some applause from the crowd and an "OH!" from me.

Bourque just took a shot that was gloved by Johnny. A bit of showmanship with the save, but it wasn't a particularly difficult one. The Bourque line had good energy as well, he was out there with Beagle and Joudrey.

Schultz had his Papa Panzer half slap shot blocked, not much on it.

Osala took a good shot that Johnson saved, and then stopped the rebound try by Broda too, good stuff from Johhny thus far.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I am the guy on the bench with laptop.

LIVE!

Now watch me to introduce a half slap shot to team C. I will report (with some delay) when I'll score.

Papa 'Führer of Caps D' Schultz

Posted by: Papa 'Panzer' Schultz | September 22, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

@Oneal

As stated in a comment, he's out there and looking pretty well composed too.

Comcast Sportsynet is out here with a Camera, but im not going to make much of that.

Saw GMGM walking around earlier too. Can see Tarik and Joe B watching from the balcony, not sure who the other media types are. Back to hockey.

A has been guilty of icing quite a few times, while C hasn't at all. Lepsito has looked good from the point. Alzner failed on a pinch and got caught up, but a forward got back and Johnny made a rather routine stop.

Great save by Neuvirth on a rush from Perreault and Bouchard. I shuld just start calling them the hockey hair twins. Or the twins for short.

The first period is over, the teams are clearing the ice.

After the first, Team C is up 1-0 off of Nylander's goal.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey, why nobody comes to introduce themselves to me, Corey M.?

I am doing a terrific job and Tarik must feel the heat.

Posted by: Corey Masisak proxy | September 22, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@Corndog,

What's your read on Osala?

Posted by: Jordan | September 22, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

My logic is faulted.

Being a hockey player, I thought I'd be fine with the cold of the stands. However, being a skinny white guy, I am ill affected by the cold, and should have brought a jacket. Damn my machismo!

Anyways, the Zam (really the Olympia Ice resurfacing machine is out there) and there's a break in the action. The next period is 20 minutes running i think.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

hahaha.. yeah, I had to go to the car and get a jacket yesterday at the scrimmage. I love that they're making the ice super hard, though. It's NEVER that cold or hard when I play there for pickup.

Posted by: Jordan | September 22, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

@ Jordan

Osala was looking pretty huge out there, and was defintely working hard. He looked good, and made a few plays to the net. He's definitely working hard, but I'd say that Perreault and Bouchard have been the best of the upcoming (probable) Hershey class in terms of skaters.

I'll keep an eye on him though, I didn't see any mistakes, anyways.

A few players that stood out to me:

The twins: Great chemistry, had multiple chances, and nearly finished one.

Nylander: Tenacious out there, pressed on the forecheck, and didn't let up. Also scored a pretty goal.

Pokulok: Stayed in position well, made a well timed pinch and has looked in general, like a first round pick.

No one has looked bad thus far, but if someone falls flat on their face (Flash tripped on the blue line, but has otherwise looked good) I'll be sure to mercilessly single them out.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov in net now for team A and Macheshny is in for Team C.

Play hasn't started yet, but the players are taking a stretch.

More in a second.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Machesney is the spelling, oops. Never had it right.

Also, I like that Kettler has a few of the old Verizon center signs here, "Proud to be a Caps Fan" "Rock the Red" and "Welcome Back Caps" are all on the wall behind the stands.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

CCD you rock! this is some great commentary, and is much needed after a long summer. Keep the updates coming.

On another note, when does the team start making decisions on when to send players down to Hershey?

Posted by: Leeguru | September 22, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@CapsCorndog

Good reporting! But remember:

A. Good is not good enough

B. The future is now

With that in mind, keep going, we're all listening.

Posted by: Dave King | September 22, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Thank I appreciate the blog all year round

Posted by: Steve | September 22, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Tarik for the update on the Cup, I really like that the team actually went out and had a cup made for this. I hope it turns into a good tradition for training camps in the future.

Flash-Nylander-Clark with Green and Lepisto out to start for C

Bradley-Broda with Poti and Schultz for A, whom apparently DID have a penalty called on the, I omitted that from my post thinking it wasn't called.

Ovie actually hopped out for a round on the PK. Penalty was to Joudrey, and is now over.

Aucoin looks small out there.

Kozlov just scored on Machesney, he has been impressive out there. The play started with Kozlov skating it in and dishing it to Ovechkin who was stopped, The rebound was taken and Kozlov beat Machesney to the glove side. 1-1.

Beagle in the box for A, not sure what went down, was in my blind spot. I know gloves were off though.

Bourque is working with Andrew Gordon on the PK, good pressure on the clears, and kept it out. Lacroix also looks good on the PK, which is aggressive out there.

Team A needs to stay out of the box.

Pokulok just had a good pinch he sent wide.

The twins had another chance off the rush, Varloamov made the stop...

Schultz is looking good on D, I don't think the detractors will hate on him much this season

Team C's first penalty Amadio, Interference.

Osala-Aucoin-Kozlov
Poti-Ovechkin on the PP for A

Laing-Steckel
Mo-Alzner on the PK

Osala just had a good shot stopped by Mac. Osala has created some quality chances for himself and his line mates. And he just whiffed on a chace.

5 on 3 coming for A. Steckel taking the call.

Beagle Bourque and A Gordon with Poti and Ovie on the points. Bourque just shanked a good pass from Ovie on the slapper. Laing (of course) laid down to block an Ovie slapper after that chance.

Like Tarik mentioned, Clark has looked good out there.

Great feed to Bourque, missed it high, he needs to bury one. A. Gordon took a shot and Cheese froze it.

The level of play has definitely ramped up now. DOvgan just took a booming slap shot that cuffed Cheese on the glove side. He froze it though after.

Osala just got ROBBED by cheese on the doorstep. Amadio with an easy wrister from the point, the first real test on Varlamov.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to interupt the play by play, but a good article from NY times about goings on around the league

Posted by: Rich C | September 22, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

My laptop has just enough juice to finish the second, so for the 3rd I'm just gonna pack it up and watch. I'll try and report back after the game though for an update.

Green just foiled a possible breakaway by Aucoin. I don't see Aucoin making the team this year, I don't think he was expected to, but he's out classed by these players. Cheese likes to play the puck, and isn't bad at it, though he got himself into a spot of trouble with Lacroix on the PK.

Beagle had a great forecheck that nearly paid off when he fed Kozlov in front.

Alzner just smoked one from the point, went wide though. He definitely knows his positioning out there, but him and Mo on a line play arguably the most boring defense in the world. Not that I'd be complaining as long as they get the job done. Which the are.

Good save through traffic by Varlamov on Mestery from the point.

Second period is over:

1-1 after two.

Nylander in the first

Kozlov in the second.

I dont think they're going to Zam. So I may be able to get some 3rd period action in before the laptoptron dies.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

SO happy to have Clarkie back. I think people really forget what a difference-maker he is.

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | September 22, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov and Cheese both stay in the net for their respective teams.

The puck has been dropped.

Osala just hit Mink pretty hard, as mentioned before, the big guy has looked good out there.

The third period actually has clock stoppages, and here is the first, Offsides on team A.

Bad break out by A almost gets them scored on, Mink sent it wide on Varlamov.

Sorry mates, my battery is spent, Hope you enjoyed! Go Caps!

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Standing O for CCD!

Posted by: Leeguru | September 22, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Joe B and Locher are great, been the sound of Capitals for me since I started watching. My only complaint is that Joe's career advancement may take hime away from us - Versus used him for a lot of games last year. He's a top flight play-by-play man in his own right!

Posted by: TheCapitalist | September 22, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO What will I do at work with no play by play?

Oh yeah... sorry boss lol.

Posted by: MetalCap | September 22, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Corndog! We all owe you a beer.

Glad to hear the Finns are doing well! And Kozlov!

Posted by: Jordan | September 22, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Ahh! CCD has been a lifeline, a pipeline. damn this archaic battery technology!

Posted by: oo7 | September 22, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh, its over. huh. Wonder how long I've missed that?

Posted by: oo7 | September 22, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

1) Of course Kozlov is gonna excel, nothing real is on the line! ; )

Posted by: Fauxrumors | September 22, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Metalcap,
Thanks for making me chuckle. I'm sure the guy I was talking to from a certain swanky DC hotel now thinks I'm crazy.

I'll be rooting for Team B tomorrow!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | September 22, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Caps corndog! You made my day. Thanks Tarik for providing the venue to get the latest news!!! Washington Post rules.

Posted by: Kanada | September 22, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks a bunch, but good is not good enough. Next time bring a spare battery, please.

Posted by: Dave King | September 22, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

It's official, Fauxrumours wins the internets.

Posted by: Section 117 | September 22, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the running commentary CornDog.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 22, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Tarik(or anyone else who was at both "games") since u have seen both teams .....who do u think will win the cup tomorrow?

Posted by: lateforwork | September 22, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Of course my team will win it.

Achtung, the celebration parade will be at the parking lost North of Kessler. NHL network will show the celebration live. Gary Bettman and Bill Daily will be in attendance.

Papa 'Führer' Schultz (D-Washington DC)

Posted by: Papa 'Panzer' Schultz | September 22, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave King | September 22, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@ everyone

Thanks for the feedback on the commentary, Sorry about the battery, I'm surprised my last post went through, since my laptop actually died while posting.

If the final game is at the same time, I'll be right back there tomorrow live blogging it again, and this time I'll either bring my charger, or not set up until the Caps are on the ice ready to go.

@ Jordan

I'm only 20, it'd technically be illegal to buy me a beer. But I wouldn't tell if you all did!

So, Tarik already summed up the last period and the shootout.

Ovie's shot in the shoot out was sick, beat Cheese cleanly. Bourque's goal was set up wonderfully by Beagle, and Clark's goal was a great shot.

The Clark-Nylander-Flash line was the best one out there, though Flash didn't stand out to me too much.

Green rushed the puck 3 or 4 times today, and looked good doing it. Hopefully he remembers to get back more in the season. Alzner sounds like a leader out there, I could hear him barking some directions while getting back on the backcheck.

It was really fun to watch, not the route that the rookie game was, but that's OK because the Flyers weren't the ones getting the beat down.

Hopefully I'll be able to do that again tomorrow.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

is the A vs B game tomorrow at 11 or 12?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I thought I heard Joe B doing play by play Saturday for a football game... please don't leave us Joe!

Posted by: rh71 | September 22, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

GOOO KOZLOV!!!!!

Posted by: SlavaKM | September 22, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the play-by-play CCD! Let us know when you're 21 and we'll buy you a beer then.
I think Joe B does a little of everything. I'm pretty sure he calls some local lacrosse games every now and then. I know a lot of out of market people don't like him, but I've come to dislike pretty much anybody else calling games.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | September 22, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

really happy to see Clark and Nylander playing well -- that bodes a happy future for the Caps methinks

Posted by: JIM | September 22, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

According to his CSN page, JoeB does Major League Lacrosse play-by-play as well as Mountain West Conference college football. Actually, it looks like he does almost everything!

Posted by: tallbear | September 22, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks CapsCorndog..

Maybe Pokulok can make the long climb back.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | September 22, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@ Oneal

I certainly hope so, he's had a tough, tough route so far.

I shall be there tomorrow, doing the same thing. Thanks Tarik for confirming the time.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Great job, CCD! You'll be one very drunk man when you turn 21... :)

Posted by: Greg S. | September 22, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Joe B is definetly better than smokin Al Koken doing the play by play

Posted by: stevo | September 22, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Which begs the question, what is Al Koken smokin?

Posted by: JIM | September 22, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if the caps will be making overnite trips while on the road playing pre-season? or just in and out?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

According to the training camp schedule they have morning skates scheduled for the mornings of the away pre-seasons games at Kettler. I dont know if its a typo or if they are just going for the evening.

Posted by: Tim | September 22, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Here are TSN's fantasy picks for next year -- they do not have much love for the Caps. All the Caps listed will go down seriously in points according to their predictions. JT is not even listed in the top 30 goalies while Mike Smith of Tampa is. So no love from north of the border boys and girls:

Posted by: JIM | September 22, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

TSN's predictions has me wondering what they are smoking???

Posted by: JIM | September 22, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Do ESPN and TSN not talk with each other? How are they so far apart in their predictions?

Posted by: Steve R | September 22, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

JT is listed as 25. Who cares about predictions?

Posted by: Leeguru | September 22, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Who is the twins?

Posted by: Dan L | September 22, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Bouchard and perrault

Posted by: fashi13 | September 22, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks

Posted by: Dan L | September 22, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm just saying, same parent company, how could they read the tea leaves so differently?

Posted by: Steve R | September 22, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

ESPN is focused on Football, TSN is focused on Canada. Caps don't rate. Even when we win the cup, it won't be good enough.

Posted by: Leeguru | September 22, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

TSN is as Canada-centric as you can get. According to the Canadian media, OV only did well because Crosby was hurt. If the great Cindy had not gotten hurt, he would have scored 100 goals and 500 points and this year he is a lock to win the cup all by himself. They hate the SouthEast in spite of the fact that we have showed up at so many Cup finals. They are full of crap!

Posted by: Bob | September 22, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Leeguru for picking up JT at 25. I must have missed him up in the stratosphere. I agree that the Canadian press will give no love to the Caps. They always cover the Leafs, no matter how horrible. Will Sudin make any difference on that team -- NO! But TSN seems to have an article nearly daily. They don't even cover other Canadian teams as much. They seem to love Pissburgh due to Sid the Kid being a Canadian, but hate OV for being a Russian.

Posted by: JIM | September 22, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

They hate the South East simply because we are a long way from Canada. It seems to be a combination of envy and inferiority complex, don't know why, I love Canada personally. Had a great time in PEI this summer.

Posted by: bob | September 22, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Or could it be that the caps just aren't as good as everyone in the DC area thinks they are?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Semin will get a lot more than 56 points if healthy, and whoever is centering his line be it Fedorov or Nylander will benefit as well. Regardless of which even strength line he is on, Nylander will rack up some PP points and I think finishes with more than TSN is projecting.

If Kozlov is on OV's line, he should be able to get more than the 46 points they're projecting simply by showing up.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 22, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

No problem! We for sure won't be as bad as Toronto or Edmonton, as rude as Montreal, as angst ridden as Ottawa or as cold as Calgary. So perhaps we end up something like Vancouver, I'm OK with that. Reasonable team with great fans!

Posted by: Bob | September 22, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Theodore picking up any wins for "COLORADO" as they have him listed. That should tell you about what they are doing.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | September 22, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

JT sucks.
Will never regain past form, just looking for a few bucks.

Posted by: Fish | September 22, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Fish, appreciate the heads up.

Hey everybody, Fish says Theo sucks, guess we need to go with plan 'C'.

Posted by: Steve R | September 22, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Fantasy buffs: No problem. Let them underrate the Caps and see who's crying when the season's over. Sometimes it's good to be underestimated.

Posted by: this space for rent | September 22, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

The southeast conference has better weather, and our spirit teams/chicks are more scantily clad in the winter time than the candian teams. It's pure jealousy.

on another note, i keep running in to people wearing caps shirts, and after talking to them they said they picked up the fever last season BY GOING TO A GAME! It's what any hockey fan tells you: go to a game and you're hooked!

Go Caps!

Posted by: Leeguru | September 22, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I know everyone has high hopes for this season an sure, they MIGHT make it past the 1st round of the playoffs this year but then again, just because the team clicked for a few months doesnt mean that lightning in a bottle is going to happen again.

We have to remember there are 29 other teams out there that have the same goal and that is the Stanley Cup. For all purposes, the caps have generally the same team from last year. The one real difference is that BB is starting the season.

How many times in your years of being a fan of the NHL, or any sport for that matter have you seen a team running on all cylinders one season but then fizzle out the next?

Just because BB is the coach of the year and AO is the MVP does not guarantee a championship. Just ask Bill Barber how being coach of the year treated him the next season.

In an 82 game season there is going to be ups and downs...there will be a guaranteed losing streak that lasts a bit too long. Then we will see who the real fans are.

Hopefully the booth doesnt empty out like years past

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Don't try and inject reality during the preseason!

Posted by: Leeguru | September 22, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

hot discuss~
By the way,I strongly suggest a hot club((__"www.interracialchatting.com"__))which is a dating service for whites and blacks to find their interracial love,maybe you can find your girl on it.

Posted by: mark | September 22, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

By the way,I strongly suggest a hot club ((__"www.interracialchatting.com"__))which is a dating service for whites and blacks to find their interracial love,maybe you can find your girl on it.

Posted by: leema | September 22, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Man all of the negative ninnies have come out this preseason. Who knows what this year will bring. Maybe Jose has the year of his life or maybe he doesn't, but at least give him the benefit of the doubt until we start to play.

I am sure everyone picked Philadelphia to go to the conference finals last after the god awful season they had before.

We have essentially the same team we had last year. They all know each other and there tendencies. And now we have added basically two free agent guys (Nylander and Clark) without signing any contracts.

No body thought the Red Sox would beat the Yankees when they got down 3 games to 0. How was a team of nobodies, rejects and "idiots" supposed to win against the mighty Yankees. Yet they won the last four games and then the next four to win the world series.

So if that team of red can win the first world series in 86 years then so can our team of red bring home the stanley cup.

Have some faith. I know I do because I have witnessed the most amazing come back in baseball history and I love both these teams of red!!!!!

Posted by: Erin | September 22, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse