Team Officials React to the Kolzig News

It's my understanding that the Caps and Olie Kolzig have not spoken, and because of that, team officials are only comfortable issuing statements about the goaltender for now.

From Caps' PR:

George McPhee: "Olie has been great for the Washington Capitals, and the Capitals were great for Olie. He has been a great leader and ambassador for the club. Olie can still play, and if he decides to continue to play, we wish him the very best."

Ted Leonsis: "I've always admired Olie Kolzig, first as a fan and then as an owner. When I got to know him on a personal level, I was even more impressed. He is a charitable person and a great man, and I genuinely appreciate all he has done for this organization and this region. If he decides to continue his career with another team, I will respect that decision, and he will be missed. In my mind, however, he always will be a Washington Capital."

Bruce Boudreau: "From the first day I met him through my year-end meeting with Olie, I was struck by his class. He always was respectful and a true professional in every sense of the word. He treated me like Scotty Bowman, and I couldn't ask for anything else."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 9, 2008; 3:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: End of an Era (Updated)
Next: Coburn's Injury Completely Preventable

Comments

Posted by: Anonymous | May 9, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Nice comments by the brass, especially Leonsis.

Posted by: Joe B | May 9, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

This is getting a tad bizarre. They need to have a freakin' conversation already.

Posted by: NoCountryForCapsFans | May 9, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

yeah its getting a little bizarre. they need to deal with it and move on. this is getting old. we got a lot to do before next year to continue making the playoffs and becoming a contender. no disrespect or anything. i wish olaf the best. he was awesome and is a great dude. but its over time to proceed.

Posted by: Jake | May 9, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I love Olie and will miss him to death, but unless he's talking about being a back-up what cup contender will really seek out his services?

Posted by: DC FURY | May 9, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@DC Fury
I agreee he said he wants to start for a contender but i dont see that happening. i feel bad like he doesnt realize he is no longer starting material, he is back up now. i will miss him too.

Posted by: Jake | May 9, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@Jake
Yeah i could see the Kings giving him a job, or maybe he could sign with the Sens and try his luck beating out Gerber for the starting job, but other than that retirement should be his goal.

Posted by: DC FURY | May 9, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

reposting

Olie was the man for a long time here, he was the player that inspired me to play goalie, and my favorite one at that. That being said, he obviously lost a step or two this season, not playing like he used to, letting up more soft goals than in years past. The team in front of him was better too.

To say he deserved better... maybe so he's done a lot for this franchise but we were in a MUST win situation and literally every game mattered. If we start Olie in one of those last games after the 5-0 Chicago shllacking (which I do not blame on Olie at all, the team was awful that night) and he loses, we're out. Simple as that. Instead BB made his firm choice, stuck with Huet and he played great and won out. There's no way we could ever find out what would happen if Olie played down the stretch.

After game 4 I felt a bit of tugging towards wanting Olie to start, but there's no guarantee he'd even take us to the game 7 Huet did. I'm proud of the season the Caps had, and Olie was indeed a big part of it.

At however suggested Hanlon would never have done this to Olie... consider this: If Hanlon was still here, the Caps would NEVER have made the playoffs and we'd be complaining a hell of a lot more about how poorly the team performed rather than how poorly they (allegedly) treated a player on the team. I don't think we'll ever get the full story, and both sides have blame for sure.

I support the CAPS first and players second. I was sad when Bonzai left, and I'm sad Olie had to go, but both were given opportunity to pursue championships elsewhere. Olie will one day have his number in the rafters and deservedly so. I will be there to chant "O-lie" one last time with everyone else.

Huet may not be the future but he's the best available bridge for the gap, and being in his prime now means he's got a lot to give us and may take us further than Olie ever did, will people still complain then? Probably.

I'll never understand "fans" like wendel and chief that comlpain no matter how the team plays. Hopefully next season they'll be shut up by the Caps performance.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | May 9, 2008 3:55 PM

Posted by: CapsCorndog | May 9, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure I am in the minority on this... but does anyone get the sense that this orchastrated PR campaign by Olie is total BULL SH*T.

I mean why now? What decsion have the Caps made? We havent signed anyone... there is still time... they may have not talked to anyone yet on an official level. I mean take a month off... go on vacation... I really question the timing and its sincerity... I really do.

Posted by: Bye Bye | May 9, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Chief,

"You're 100% wrong, here's why.
Kolzig's biggest strength ? Stealing a game. While he bailed the Caps out on a regular basis in the past and not so much over the past two seasons, it was still in the cards for him to steal one in the Post Season"

Wait... You are basing this on what? A gut feeling that Olie would morph into the Olie of old?

Posted by: Steve R | May 9, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I have always respected Olie, but I feel that he handled this very poorly. He should have talked to Ted and George before spilling his guts to Tarik (no offense meant, Tarik, you were just doing your job as a reporter).

Posted by: tess | May 9, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Al Koken said on 980 that GMGM is out of the country so they probably won't have a discussion for at least a week. It should be George and Ted and Olie. Bruce has no ties to Olie .

Posted by: dave | May 9, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@Bye Bye
I believe Tarik has written more than once during the season that Olie wasn't offered an extension. So he probably has been thinking that he wasn't in their future plans for awhile now.

Posted by: tallbear | May 9, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if Washington Post Live is streamed from washingtonpost.com, in addition to being shown on CSN? I thought they did at one point and I'd like to see the Olie interview today. I haven't been able to find a link on the website.

Posted by: TS | May 9, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

right, no extension offer. PLUS, while the free agent signing period doesn't strat until July 1, once the season is over, if it were me, I'd be inclined to view the situation as "ok, I no longer have ties to this team. I am not under contract for services." So perhaps part of what Olie is thinking is, I am not an employee of the Capitals organization any longer, and if I want to give Tarik (the best beat writer in hockey, btw!) the scoop of his career, what business is it of GMGM, Ted, and the rest?

would it have been nice for Olie to give Caps management a heads up that he has no intentions of returning? Yeah. Is it perhaps understandable that Olie considers himself (apparently) no longer in the employ of the Caps and therefore doesn't have to tell management is thoughts? Yeah.

Posted by: Birdie | May 9, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

hey corndogs
Get it right I complain about some decisions, not all the time. If u r too dumb to tell the difference keep saying idiot things. I flew 4000 miles this year to watch and cheer for the Caps. And on this blog i can speak my ming. If u want to be a lamd ass kisser so be it

Posted by: wendel | May 9, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

@wendel

pot calling the kettle black?

you kissed Laing's ass all year refusing to acknowledge he's nothing more than an AHL player with a lot of heart.

I don't blindly follow every decision the management makes, and I apologize for calling you out for complaining, but I certainly see more of that from you than most other posters. Everyone speaks their mind on the blog that's what makes it so great.

Posted by: capscorndog | May 9, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

@ Birdie

according to Mike Vogel Olie actually IS an employee of the Caps until July 1.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | May 9, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Steve R.

Step away from the keyboard for a minute!

You just responded to Chief who does what, HATE anything in the Caps management. He doesn't care about Olie one wit. Or any other player for that matter. All he cares about is bashing GMGM and Ted whenever the chance presents itself. Today's "news" is just that. An opportunity.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 9, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

so corn dog what is your point
I supported Laing and other Caps i thought were deserving

Is that ass kissing?

I also voiced opinions on players and issues i didnt support.

You have a problem with that fine.

I think Laing has a spot with the Caps and his 2 year contract may suggest others do as well. We will see.

ps your lips seem to be pretty close to Mr. Kolzigs derriere

Posted by: wendel | May 9, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@wendel

I explicitly stated that I thought Kolzig's play significantly declined since the beginning of the season. I supported the Huet trade, because it was a hell of a steal. I thought Kolzig was classy up until the end of the season, where he showed some signs of being a pouter. It's a tought position, but I think the millions he made will be enough to make it all better.

I'm definitely a Laing fan also, but I just can't see fitting him on the team next year we have too much talent up front.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | May 9, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Greg S,

Good points. I think I'll go spell "Fedorov" a couple of times to keep busy & to keep from replying to that nimrod.

Posted by: Steve R | May 9, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Caps Corndog, thanks for clarifying that. I wasn't sure. Even if he is technically employed by the Caps until July 1 (or June 31, however you want to look at it), I guess one could look at the situation and go "If he speaks to the press, what are they gonna do, dock my pay?"

Posted by: Birdie | May 9, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I first met Olie back in 1996 when we both got are mask painted by the same guy(Mike Myers). He's one of the nicest person I ever met. Olie remembered my name after not seeing me for more then 2 years.

Posted by: OliefanfromBeanTown | May 9, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

@ Birdie

Exactly, no real repercussions, plus with his fan favorite status, the management would be hard pressed to punish him anyways. A suspension would look bad for them, and would be meaningless. I don't like the way he went out, but like I said it seems like both sides are to blame. Though Olie not returning George's call is a bit childish.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | May 9, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

something like that :-)

He treated me like Scotty Bowman, and I couldn't ask for anything else.

Ouch. What that means? I know a lot of players hated Bowman and he had very weird relationship with the players.

Posted by: King Huet | May 9, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

mike Vogel:

Years ago, my kids did a photo shoot with Kolzig for a "Reading is Cool" community event. Those pictures of Olie and my kids are still on the mantle here in our palatial estate in Baltimore. Hell, Olie played in Baltimore before he went on to establish himself as an excellent NHL goaltender. He's always been a first-class guy from my standpoint, and that point was driven home again today when he agreed to meet with me later on the middle of today's maelstrom of activity. I'll have more on caps.com later, after I get back from our meeting.

There is certainly a sense of sadness and a sense of getting older that accompanies today's news, at least for me. But there is also a sense of appreciation and good fortune. Kolzig's rise was not that probable. It was a story of perseverance and belief. And to me, that's why we are where we are today. Kolzig believes he can still play in the NHL, and he is now setting out to prove that.

Like many others, I wish him the best and I won't be betting against him.

World Championship:
Belarus shocked Russia by jumping out to an early 2-0 first period lead on goals from Andrei Mikhalev and Dmitry Dudik.

Maxim Afinogenov sparked the Russian comeback with a second period goal while Alexander Ovechkin tied the game 2-2 on a blistering wrist shot early in the third that caught the top corner of the net.

Posted by: King Huet | May 9, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

King, I think what Bruce was going for was that Olie treated him like Bruce was the best in the game.

Who knows what's going happen from here. I doubt anyone will know much of anything till after the playoffs are done and everyone can start taking a hard look at their lineups for 2008/9.

I'm not sure if either side has handled this very well. Who knows what difference it could have made to have everyone taling earlier, but everyoen was so wraped up in the playoff race that I doubt it was on top of anyone's mind including Olie's.

Posted by: EricS | May 9, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Steve R.

Nah. You have Fedorov down. Now, Alex still hasn't made his submission yet... :\

@ Everyone else on both sides...

Let's keep this real, folks.

There is no ONE player on a TEAM that wins all the games. There were times when Olie stood on his head, but the team didn't win. There were times when AO didn't score (January, for instance), but the team still managed to win.

Players will come and go. Hopefully, they exit with class on their part, and by ownership's as well. It would have been nice to have Olie play in game 7 at home as a last jesture. Would that have been a realistic option? Struggling for our lives to keep in the SCP?

If it was the last game(s) where the outcome was meaningless, sure, let him play. That wasn't the case.

Olie IS an employee of the Caps until 6/30/08. He really shouldn't have gone to Tarik with his exit announcement. Closing that door now doesn't serve him at all. Go through the UFA process first. See if anyone out there wants him. THEN make the announcement as a FA.

There were no flies on the wall when Olie talked to GMGM or BB. We don't know what was said, how it was said, what the body language was saying.... I would hope that GMGM would have the decency to talk to Olie, but for whatever reason, he's decided to talk to no one yet about next year's contracts - at least as far as we know. Why Olie feels slighted by this, I don't know. Why GMGM isn't talking now to U/RFA's is a mystery, too. The noises management is making sounds like a future number retirement to me.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 9, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

it is unbelieveable that so many Caps "fans" have so little heart when it comes to this whole discussion. If you watched the snippet from the Comcast interview at 5pm you can see what this all means to Olie. The guy is obviously emotional about the prospect of not finishing his career with the Caps. Sure hockey is a business, but there is the human side too. Why is that so hard for some who have been commenting today to figure out??

Posted by: doughless | May 9, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

First, to another comment earlier today. I am Bob, I do not post as anyone else. I've had season tickets someplace for 40 years so I do know something about hockey.

Second, and it has nothing to do with Olie, who you all know I like and admire. Huet lost in the first round of the playoffs. He lost to a better goalie, Biron. He was awful in games 2,3,& 4. He was bad in game one. He played better in 5, 6, & 7, deserved better in 7, but at the end of the day he lost and there is no reason to think he will not lose next year in the same first round. That is after all why we got him for a second round pick. The Habs thought Price would be better in the playoffs and he was better, a round better, and younger, and still learning. Huet is there at the top of his game, this is all we will ever get, again that is why the Habs traded him to us for a second round pick. We did not get Pat Roy, we got Chris Huet and it is what it is. If someone has a sensible reason why I'm wrong I'll listen, but I have a hard time believing we will ever contend for the cup with Huet, let alone win it. The Habs traded him to us and were still playing when the Caps left for home. Again I am Bob from 413, no one else.

Posted by: Bob | May 9, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

@ Bob

re: Huet. Amen. That is feeling exactly.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | May 9, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Bob

How a player plays in their first SC playoff series is mostly a learning experience. They will make tons of mistakes. Hopefully they learn from them. For the players in front of him, this was most of their first series. As I mentioned in an earlier post, teams win and lose, not individuals.

Is Huet the solution to getting the cup here? I rather doubt it. I see him more as a bridge to allow the goalies in development get their feet wet in the NHL. They will be the ones to win the cup. I do expect to be contenders with Huet in net, and possibly steal one (a cup) when no one is looking.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 9, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Just like all the shut-ins that want to call for GMGM's head. You never look at whats ahead and who you're going to replace him with.

RIGHT NOW, Olie is gone and we don't have a true #1 under contract. That should be the focus, not what night are we going to raise #37 to the rafters.

Posted by: caphcky | May 9, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey Bob, firstly the Habs barely scraped through the first round against the Bruins blowing a series lead and going seven games. They won one game against the Flyers in the second round and price looked awfully suspect glove side on all the eventual goals from the flyers. Not sure if you have read the press in Montreal but Gainey and his faith in Price haven't quite convinced the fans. Your right, he lost but just about everyone in hockey thought and still thinks getting Huet for a second rounder was a great deal by GMGM. BTW is Johnson better than Kolzig a s a backup to Huet or someone else?

Posted by: Kiltman | May 9, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

OliefanfromBeanTown

Where is Mike these days ??
I knew him pretty well from playing with him. I hope he's doing ok.

Posted by: Old Guy | May 9, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

HI CAPHCKY!!!!

Posted by: CapsCorndog | May 9, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Those comments are "Warm & Fuzzy"
Makes me want to puke.

Hey MIDGET, after you sign Huey, make sure to bring back Doig & Henry to help him out.

Posted by: Chief | May 9, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Vogel's piece was 1,000 times more sincere than the company lines fed to us by McPhee & Leonsis.

Posted by: #37 | May 9, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I have been reading and watching all of the happenings today, and am still trying to process it all.

I think that when all of the dust settles that both sides will wish they had handled things better. Should Caps management have talked with Olie, looked him in the eye, and been more open with what they were thinking? I think so.

Should Olie have approached Caps management when they did not, and he was feeling slighted, ignored, mistreated? I think so. After all, I think Olie is one of four possibly five Caps players that has the standing with the organization or in the NHL to go to management with such an issue.

I think a lot of the phone call, nametag, statements to press issues could have been avoided if both parties had communicated better and sooner.

Bottom line is that I hope that in the next few months that wounds can heal a little and everyone will be able to move on. I wish Olie nothing but the best. No matter what, he will always be a Cap in my book.

Posted by: Kim | May 9, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
In reading the Team Officials Reactions, my immediate reaction

gmgm- CLASSLESS, Still trying to hold on and in HUGH survival mode

TED-CLASSEY, not sure what is going on but as a good owner is relying on the so called professionals he has to run the team. He is probably figuring out he has the wrong people in place.

BB- CLASSEY knows what is going on, doesn't realize the power he has right now.

Hey George,
Olie's tenure with the Capitals is almost double of yours. What gives you the right to say the Capitals have been great to Olie?
Hockey is a hard sport, the ice is hard, the puck is hard, the sticks are hard and the hits are hard. It shouldn't be run by a SOFT MIDGET BACKSTABBING PIGEON.
As a wise man like Chief would say, Hey MIDGET, go back to shuffling papers, sharpening pencils and getting coffee for the REAL GM!

Posted by: someone else who knows | May 9, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
Just curious, any reaction from the Ostrich, Dick (the Lesser) Patrick?

Posted by: someone else who knows | May 9, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

someone else = CLASSY
chief = CLASSIER

nothing classier than calling people names.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | May 9, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
What is Dave Prior's response to Olie's decision?

Posted by: Docpuck | May 9, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
What is Dave Prior's response to Olie's decision?

Posted by: Docpuck | May 9, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Capfan,
Don't even bother trying to reason with posters like Chief and Someonelse who knows. Anyone who thinks that this team is on the way down just is not seeing things clearly. I'm not sure why they and others like them continue to post here when they so obviously hate the team. Quite frankly, I'm not sure why you would even bother responding to their posts. It only encourages them.

Go Caps.

Posted by: Section 407 | May 9, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

FWIW: I think people are making too much of this supposed skirmish between Olie and management. Olie didn't pout, didn't complain, didn't try to steal the limelight back. If he would have granted any interviews during the last month of the season, he would had been honest - as always. And then he would have been viewed as a complainer, and someone who wanted to distract the team.

I'm not saying that most of you won't agree with that. It's just that I think we in DC are making too much of this. Just think of all the stuff that goes on in other hockey towns. Ours is pretty professional - and that's a good thing.

Posted by: Dezlboy | May 9, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I spend my families money on season tickets to see wins, not to massage Olaf Kolzig's bruised ego. Good riddance. There are plenty of options between the pipes for the couple of years before one of the kids in the system come up.

For all the class that Kolzig is alleged to have had, he could have avoided all of this by just going quietly. The only reason to whine about the obvious is to cause harm to the organization. Are the Caps to apologize for all those millions of dollars that they paid him. With the economy being what it is, I am not going to shed any tears for the man that is going to "sit by the pool with a six pack", if he doesn't get signed.

That statement pretty well clouded his legacy for me.

Posted by: Caps 423 | May 9, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Commence spin machine now.

Posted by: The Great One | May 9, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

My cousin plays for the team, players are always worried about GM, for one reason or another.
I don't know if that's good or bad.
I know it's not like that in San Jose.

Posted by: Mo | May 9, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

My morning began with a cup of coffee and Tarik's article on Kolzig, and my day ended with my ten-year-old son getting Kolzig and Halpern's autograph in a Bethesda restaurant. I knew it was an awkward time to ask for an autograph, but I wanted to say goodbye (not literally) to the face of the Caps over the past decade, and I wanted my son to remember him too. I made my peace, and now I want to focus on the future and bringing the Cup to DC in the next 2-5 years!

Posted by: TJ2 | May 9, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

This is just great!

We have "Chief", "Someone else who knows", "Puckguru" and now "The Great One".

Who annointed you guys your "titles"?

Posted by: Greg S. the Phenominal One | May 9, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

i think GMGM's comments, particularly the "and washington has been good for olie" reveals an awful lot about him as a manager. as tarik said on washington post live, he needs to work on his people skills. i expect a lot more from the person who put him the awkward situation to begin with. if people think olie's classless, then GMGM is just downright rude.

Posted by: alex | May 9, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Neither Olie nor Caps management have anything to be proud of about how this whole situtation was handled, and quite frankly I don't have any sympathy for any of them.

As of now I'm more concerned with the off-season and how McPhee's going to get himself out of this mess he's gotten himself into. He's going to have to severely overpay to sign Huet and probably for a longer term than is smart, Mike Green still hasn't gotten a new deal, the defense is basically held together with spit and bailing wire (I really hope Alzner's the real deal), he's going to have to deal with getting back Clark, Nylander, and maybe Pothier, and try to get Fedorov to come back here for a lot less money.

I hope Ted's feeling generous.

Posted by: zamboni | May 10, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

I've hammered Olie for losing steps all year, but to hit him now is complete BS. He waited 'til 2 weeks after the Caps were eliminated to make his statements. He's not going to hurt the team now, and it's not like any of this is a surprise. Good luck.

Huet is an upgrade in goal. He got beaten up in the playoffs, but he got us a lot further than Olie and BJ could have gotten us. On top of that, we got him for practically nothing. Hopefully we sign him as a bridge to Machesney, Neuvirth, and/or Varlamov. Yes, I said Machesney, because he had a hell of a year in Hershey this year. He's still young and could potentially play himself into a job in the NHL.

GMGM doesn't owe Olie any more than he gave him. His comments are dead on. Olie's been great, but the Caps did a lot for him. Does $6M ring a bell? It's not like there was any charity. As far as I'm concerned, GMGM is the best GM in town. The Nats and Wiz aren't as well prepared as the Caps, and the Redskins will always suck with the Danny playing big boy with My Cousin Vinny. The only thing he's missing is a D-man. His drafts have been good lately, and his trades even better.

Good by and good luck to Olie. Thank beer for GMGM, because we could have ended up with Dave Nonis or John Ferguson Jr.

GO CAPS!

Posted by: 121 | May 10, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

if ppl think some of their dearly departed & beloved players were the reason we didn't win all those big games...they are correct. There is a reason they are still not with us - the job was incomplete.

Anyhow. best wishes to Olie. Class all the way.

Posted by: Victor | May 10, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Kolzig is Under Contract. Not 'with', not 'above' , but under. He's paid a ton of money to skate or sit or show up at meetings when the team asks him to. I'm sorry he got his feelings hurt, but in the NHL waiting till you're called and then doing your job, is your damn job. Yeesh.

Posted by: call me Eminger... | May 10, 2008 1:55 AM | Report abuse

It is obvious Olie is just unhappy that the team is moving up to contention without him. His tearful comments were genuine but he himself even said you do not alter a winning streak. So what did he expect the team to do?

Olie needed to put the team first, and he forgot that. He has been a DC icon from the beginning but his departure tone is unfortunately clouding his legacy.

Hopefully he comes to terms sooner than later so we can all stand and cheer when #37 goes to the rafters at VC.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | May 10, 2008 6:24 AM | Report abuse

The reason why management didnt talk to Olie during/after the season about staying with the Caps, is because they didnt want him back as a #1. Olie knew it, GMGM knew it. This was inevitably going to be the outcome giving the ingredients.

Olie wants to be a #1 somewhere, good luck.

Oh, BTW, look at the goalies in the final 4 teams? Turco, Osgood, Biron and Fluery... Not exactly your Vezina candidates. Between the 4 of them they have 0, Vezinas, and 1 nomination?

We dont need a friggin Brodeur to win the Cup. What we need is a team that doesnt play scared and a team that doesnt make dumb mistakes... (Are you reading this Schultz + Jurcina) Good enough goal-tending can do the job if you have the other pieces there. Huet is fine.

Laing doesn't sniff 5 games with the Caps next year.

The team is not in disarray. We certainly have a very sound foundation and plenty of money to keep the team intact. I am not worried about a thing. GMGM, go spend TL's cash will you!!!

Posted by: JSchon | May 10, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I ran into Craig Laughlin (!) at Reagan National Airport on Thursday morning at the old A-terminal (Northwest Airlines). If I'd known about the big Kolzig news upcoming, I think I would've asked him about his thoughts on it. I should've at least asked for his autograph, but I was just as a loss for words when I saw "Locker." :)

As for Olie, I really am hoping he retires, and that maybe opening game next season will be a celebration of his Capitals career. I don't want it to be like when Mark Moseley finished his career with the Cleveland Browns, or Art Monk with the NY Jets etc.

Posted by: Geo | May 10, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

With Olie's burnt bridges behind him - is there any possible way management would want to contract with him now after yesterday's media blitz on his part? - the Caps have to sign a starter in goal. We know all about Huet. We could do a lot worse.

We need to keep in mind that this is a contract for a short period of time. I'm thinking 3-4 years. Just time enough for our kiddies in hockey's kindergarten to grow up. By that time, Huet's (or whatever goalie GMGM finds) will have his sun setting.

Requirements for this goalie is to have a 3 years or more experience in the NHL. SC Playoff experience is mandatory. Pay range around 3.5 to 5.5M. Must be able to steal a few games in particular down the stretch.

Also on the shopping list are some experienced tough as nails D-men who can pummel guys that crowd said goalie and try to block his view of the puck. They should be tough in corners and behind the net. Punishing attackers when they try to make runs at our goalie. At the same time, they need to be smart with the puck, good passers, one pass and out of the D-zone and spend less than 80 in PIMs. Willing to sacrifice the body to block pucks.

We offer an awesome offence, great accomodations and work environment, and we're rockin' the red!

Posted by: Greg S. | May 10, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I've just spent my morning catching up on the comments. First and foremost, thank you Ollie. You gave some great memories. I wish you well with whatever your future holds.

I am with the group that thinks he should have spoken to someone on the team before the media. Whatever, it happened, time to move on. It does not diminish my feelings towards him. Hockey, like all sports, is a business. The fans are the only ones allowed to let emotions get in the middle of things.

As for those (we know who they are) huddled in the basement of the science building thinking the team is moving in the wrong direction, take a look back. Let us split the Ted era into two five year periods. The first period had ted spending a lot of money on splashy free agents (Jagr), and not doing much to move the team forward. I think we can all agree that the SC run was with David Poile's group, so Ted and GMGM had very little to do with it. Ted got burned, and let it be known he wasn't spending any money. He wanted a long term winner. Since the destruction of the team in 2003 -2004, all we have asked for as fans is forward progress. AN improvement over last season. Does anyone disagree that the team has not improved? Bad desicions were made (Bruce Cassidy is number one in my book) but that will happen. As a FAN of the TEAM, I just want to see improvement over the previous year. Next year, I expect the 2nd round, and I expect more points.

That's my 2 cents. There's more, but let us start with that.

Posted by: Leeguru | May 10, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I knew it was clubhouse trouble from the minute Huet came.

Fine Im over it, and ready for next year. Sign me a goalie (Huet), and a stay home D man, and lets get it rolling for 08-09.

Posted by: SA-Town | May 10, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

@SATown

Calling this clubhouse trouble might be a bit of a stretch. I really think its only one guy with the issue.

None of the current players have any history with Olie except Brent. If anything, the team has become more of a team during the play-off push and play-off run. I think the locker room is just fine.

Posted by: JSchon | May 10, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Who is avail on the D side for a ufa signing? Plus, bring in a new player, who goes away? 4? He's ufa, isn't he? Poti, Juice and Pothier (is he ok long term?) are under contract for next year. RFA's are Green, Mo, Buzzard and Emmy. I think those are the D rfa's anyway.

Posted by: Steve R | May 10, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Pothier will ever lace them up again. We can't take that chance. Assume that he won't play.

Juice has been marginal at best. Schultz's half slap shot is half a$$ed at best and he won't touch anyone. Cooties or something. I would bring in 2 D and make Juice and Schultz fight it out between them and the AHL'ers coming up.

Now WHO to bring in is another question - and I don't have a suggestion. At least not yet.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 10, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

@leeguru
Your post is full of the twisted thinking that marks the sensible/Fan. Next thing you'll be babbling about how 'tons of GMs would swap for GMGM's cap/roster/farm/picks combo.' Pure dumb luck, you bandwagon kool-aid looneytunes delusional-type person! And 'better each year than the last' is no way to build a hockey team!! Get a (really expensive, short-lived) grip!!

@ all caps fans,
Eminger fills more Caps needs better than Erskine does. Discuss.

Posted by: redlineblue | May 10, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I loved Olie and will miss him, but his frustration got the better of him and he made it known through the media. At the same time GM is a very strange person to come across. There is a reason that Doc Walker of Sportstalk 980 refers to McPhee as the, "Grim Reeper". GM just comes around as being very cold. So it is not a surprise of how he has handled this Kolzig situation. what is strange is how Caps stars of the past have been handled the same way, which is the likes of Hunter, Langway, Gartner, Beaupre, etc.

Anyways Caps have to sign Huet and Johnson will be the backup. As for Kolzig, I think he might have a chance to be the #1 in Ottawa, as they want to write off Emery and Gerber is inconsistent.

Posted by: Simmons33 | May 10, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@JSCHLONG
WE WILL SEE ABOUT THAT AND ONCE AGAIN YOU WILL BE WRONG.

Posted by: wendel | May 10, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

re: the defense

I agree, proceed as if Pothier is done.

Mo and Green will both be back, I am not concerned in the least. I imagine the D will look something like this

Mo/Green
-top pairing, Mo has been criticized for being soft in the past, after these playoffs, can he be criticized again?

Poti/Schultz
-Poti hasn't lived up to his contract, but I still see him as a better than average D. Schultz takes a lot of heat on this board (maybe deservedly). I think we should forget about his play in the playoffs, he shouldn't have been playing. Look more towards the way he played the second half of the year, and I think we can have something to get a bit excited about. Is he ever going to use his size like Pronger, No, but I still think he can be a very serviceable 2nd pairing guy.

Alzner/???
-I know some are convinced he won't make the big squad next year. I am convinced otherwise. He is ready for the jump. Who skates with him? Options
Pothier
-if able to lace up next year, no doubt he is the best option
Jurcina
-I sure hope not, I think the team realized how much of a liability he is towards the end of the season and the playoffs. He might have a boomer from the point, but it is useless when he can never use it because it takes 2 hours to wind up.
Erskine
-I know many aren't fans of Erskine, but I'd hope he is still on the roster come next year. Tough and knows his limits. Again, I'd prefer him being the 7th D and not playing every day
Eminger
-I'm still not sold they will give him the qualifying offer. An RFA, (and surprisingly the longest tenured CAPS player now that Kolzig is gone). Never grew into his potential. I see them cutting ties with him. Played well in the playoffs, but still not sure he will be back.

Now for the prospects:
Godfrey
-still see him as AT LEAST 1-2 years away from having a shot. An Al Iafrate like slap shot, but can he play defense?
Seabrook
-I'll be honest, I don't know much about him, but many scouts seem to like him.
Finley
-Can the 6'7" Caps first rounder make it? Watching his games at North Dakota, I don't see him making it in the NHL even a few years from now. He is just too slow

Posted by: reekie | May 10, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

by the way, I didn't include Lepisto, completely forgot about him. Not that it matters, I don't think he is an NHL player nor will he be. Good at setting people up in the offensive zone, but with all the rules against clutching and grabbing, his dumb penalties really showed. He isn't good enough to be anything more than an injury call up

Posted by: reekie | May 10, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@wendel

You are a riot. I merely point out that Laing is a healthy scratch at best type player and you actually take the time to use upper case lettering and proofread you comment...

How long did that you to do? All afternoon? Bravo wendel, bravo.

Posted by: JSchon | May 10, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

I agree...one guy..The rest of the team is gellin, and good to go.

I guess this is the final pass of the torch.

Posted by: SA-Town | May 10, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Like I said...I don't know yet who's available and likely to be buyable on D yet. I"ll have to look at it tonight. Right now, I"m in the midst of a plumbing and tiling issue. :)

Posted by: Greg S. | May 10, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Russia and Sweden is getting a bit chippy to say the least. OV has spent more time in the box than in the offensive zone, I think. Both teams have had somebody ejected already. Sweden up 1-0, end of the 1st.
Greenie is playing well for Canada, 1 goal and 2 assists so far. Canada blowing Germany away, 10-0, 3rd period.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 10, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

hopefully Olie will look around and realize the options are limited. the Caps look to go further next year and could use a limited b/u goalie. pick the spots. he's rightfully upset, front office is in a no win situ. cool off and both sides come to your SENSES. Where would they be if Witt had stayed?

Posted by: devans | May 10, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

All I'll say about Mr. Kolzig, The Spoiled Crybaby, is that I'm overjoyed that he's finally gone. Period!
What I'm focusing on is the 2008 -9 season. It's become EXTREMELY OBVIOUS to Puckguru that the Cap's # 1 priority ( Besides signing Huet )is becoming a hell - of - a lot tougher. That's the reason we lost to Philly. Too many cream puffs. My definition of a "Cream puff" is one who's unwilling to meet fire with fire. One who allows his goaltender to be run over REPEATEDLY, and does absolutely NOTHING about it. One who'd rather talk than fight. Unfortunately, we had far too many such players. And the Flyers took full advantage. I still have visions of Shaun Morrisson DOING NOTHING after Christobal was run over time, after time. Same goes for Eric Fehr, although I wasn't surprised by his lack of willingness to "Throw down" after watching his cowardly behavior during Hershey's successful Calder Cup run. He's a real wusp when the going gets tough. In that same regard, I was quite disappointed by Jurcina's unwillingness to "Engage." Obviously, it's not the size of the dog in the fight that counts. My boy, Sasha certainly proved that.
What we need is a few less ( To use Mike Vogel's favorite phrase ) "Good guys," and a couple of more hard - assed M E N! That was Montreal's problem. A team full of sissies. Ottawa's too. Hockey is truly a man's game. The weak and timid stand no chance of succeeding. So, let's take a serious look at Osala Osaka and Lil' Borque. Neither is a "Shrinking violet" as are far too many on the Caps as they are currently constituted.
And, of course, I've saved the best for last. I truly pray to The Man Upstairs, that gmgm rids my team of the ultimate LOSER / Coward, Victor Kozlov. Just the mere thought of him makes me want to puke. Same goes for Tom Poti. Geezz. What expensive WASTES they both were. Of course, I said all of this THE DAY GEORGE SIGNED THEM, ONLY TO BE LAMBASTED BY A HERD OF UNINFORMED MORONS. Well,, I WAS RIGHT AGAIN!! As usual.
Acquire some grit, George. If you do THAT, you might win a Cup. BB seems to have the magic touch. So, we're cool there. But, PLEASE!! No more wimps. PLEASE!!!!!!!

Posted by: Puckguru | May 10, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Puckguru | May 10, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Was Olie's media crying tour a one day thing or will it continue throughout the summer? The guy was a very good goalie but he was clearly overpaid and overpampered the past few years..................

Posted by: Jim | May 10, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

@ Puckguru

I agree with you to a point, but I think you go too far. I was just as angry that Mo watched people just beat up on Huet, but I think we know the reason why now. Broken jaw/dislocated collar bone. To me the biggest culprit in the whole thing was Brashear. His job is to make sure that is unacceptable. Perfect opportunity to set a tone when the Caps were down 4-1 and he was on for the last shift. Does he have to drop the gloves? no. But peeling away and chasing after the puck, as if scoring a goal and making it 4-2 makes a difference in the last shift. BB put him out there for a reason, but he failed to do ANYTHING. That final shift for Brash was an embarrassment for a "tough guy". Either way, no more criticism should be put on Huet for being pushed around, its the Caps job to prevent that, and they failed miserably in that regard. Don't know what you were watching with Fehr though, he played pretty tough. Just because you are 6'4" 220 doesn't mean you have to be a "hitter". He is a skilled powerful forward. He stood his ground in front of the net every time, and worked hard in the corners.

On another note, the new ESPN magazine has an article about toughness in the playoffs. Also it lists the 5 biggest wimps in the NHL. The Caps had two distinguished members. Kozlov and Semin. Can't argue with Kozlov. Semin played pretty tough in the playoffs though, but it was still annoying to watch him look like he was on the verge of tears 10 minutes after getting high sticked. I agree, both have earned their reputations as cupcakes. How pathetic is that, 2 of the 5 softest guys in the NHL. It came from interviewing players, coaches, and front office.

Posted by: reekie | May 10, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

@reekie
Absolutley right on. Brashear is a waste of $1million plus. Kozlov was horrible in the playoffs.....will he ever score? Flash is not going to help the caps so we better keep gutsy guys like Laich AND GET GUYS WHO CAN PLAY WITH GRIT AND PROTECT OUR SCORERS AND GOALIE

Posted by: wendel | May 10, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

@reekie

Posted by: wendel | May 10, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

@reekie

Posted by: wendel | May 10, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Locker on NHL Network.

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 10, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Mark:
Did you get the seats?

All:
I have been reading posts for two days ... I have not responded because it is just the same ol' same ol' (reminds me of when Olie was playing, and later when Huet was playing ... what are people going to do when Olie is not around to love/hate?). But it continues, so I might as well heap on.

I am sorry to see Olie go. I was hoping he would either have a monster comeback or at least ride it out as the #2 guy until he reached 40. I am so sorry to see it end like this. Should he have talked to the Caps before Tarik? Well, we really can't answer that - we have not skated in his boots ... it sounds like a very complicated situation. Regardless, I was impressed by how he handled the end of the season and the post-season. He did not whine to the media, he did not pount on the bench. He cheered his team on - even Huet. I watched him closely at those games - he was really there for ALL of those guys, with a big smile on his face, every night. Commendable, indeed. Am I surprised that he is leaving? Not really. He has been dropping hints since before he hit 300 (including that night). But I am still disappointed. Frankly, I would even go as far as to say anyone who is not disappointed, is not a 'real' Caps fan.

RE: D men, everything that I have heard is that Pothier is not coming back. Juice was great last season but lukewarm most of this season. Mo proved to be a warrior, and Green is an offensive beast. Eminger performed when we needed him most (despite rusting in the press box most of the season), and Erskine is a bulldog ... sometimes you just need a bulldog. Schultz and Lepisto are green (not in the good 'Mike Green' sense), but they have potential ... who knows if they will break through in 08/09. Regardless, we clearly have a D need. Will Alzner be ready? Hard to say. He could spend the year in Hershey, or could take home Calder hardware! Only time will tell. Nonetheless, I hope they pick up a solid stay-at-home D man in the off-season. Surely they will do that ... won't they?!?

Posted by: Boo! | May 10, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

the guy Yonkman -was supposed to be- was mobile and nasty. 'Injured and jittery' aint a palatable substitute.
I wonder who Schultz will be next year: the Hanlon's Heroes version, bewildered Schu-u-ultz? Or the Boudreau's Boys version, in possession or position very most of the time? Which Schultz do you see showing up in the fall?

Posted by: redlineblue | May 11, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Boo-Right now I'm still in 409.I was out of town for acouple days and didn't get a chance to call. I'm actually a little bitter.I called last tuesday about another matter,left a message but never got a return call.That may seem small but I AM the customer.
Totally agree with you about 37.What else can anyone say? Situations like this happen everyday in the workplace.
Was impressed with how BB handled it coming down the stretch. He always put the team first.It had to be difficult for him,being a rookie coach,but wasn't afraid to step on anyone's toes,including Kolzigs'.
Hey Boo enjoy the rest of the weekend.If you have any shortys,Happy Mothers Day!

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 11, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Laughable, that's what this franchise is.

Oh, now defense needs to be addressed.
How about ever since TINORDI went down ??

Midget is absolutely disgraceful & so is AZAMAT for allowing this

Posted by: Chief | May 11, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

What Kolzig lost this season wasn't the ability to play at a high level, but the ability to play at that level on a consistent basis. He would have spectacular games and then follow it up with a bummer. That is just the sign of losing focus and age if you ask me. He was a great Capital, and should be remembered as that. He was very close to getting the Caps their first Cup.
If someone picks him up I wish him the best of luck.

Posted by: capfan1 | May 11, 2008 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Wendel and reekie

It takes two to have a fight. Could it possibly be that Brash couldn't find someone to play with? What would Philly gain from fighting? Did he get the green light from Coach B? Maybe he was kept on a short leash because of his rep, and the need not to go short handed near the end of a playoff game?

It's up to the guys on the ice to stick up for their mates out there at the time.

I thought it interesting that there were only about 5 goalie interference calls in all of the first round (all games). There were a boat load in the second round. Now they're back to not calling it, presumeably due to the lack of need.

So my question back to you. Is it the ref's responsibility to protect the goalie? Is it the D's? The enforcer's? I'd argue that it's the Ref's first, second the D, then an enforcer, but only if the ref isn't calling the infractions.

It can be costly for the team to have an enforcer sent to the locker room early. A 5 minute major, and a 2 minute minor is a 5-3 PP. A game misconduct and it's a fine and possible suspension.

How many fights have there been this SC run? None. Came close a few times the other night in the Pens/Philly game, though.

Having said this, there are ways to get the point across. First off, not allowing the opposition to run your goalie. Box out the other team and not let them get in close. Watch how Detroit does it (my pic for the SC winner).

Posted by: Greg S. | May 11, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

I love Olie for all he did with the Capitals, but there is a disconnect in his interviews.

On Sportstalk 980, Kolzig said that he waited a few weeks to make his decision because of the need to make a dispassionate choice.

During the exclusive interview on Comcast Sportsnet, he said he made the decision midway through the playoffs.

Posted by: Jill S | May 11, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

I JUST LOVE HIM ON AND OFF THE Ice. I think the most upseting thing is he is moving back to washington St. And wount be any part of the team. I think I could deal with it better knowing he was still around.

Posted by: kim | May 11, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

@ Greg S

Read my post again, I said Brashear didn't have to drop the gloves on that last shift, obviously nobody on Philly is going to drop them that late with the game in hand. What I was saying is that it was an embarrassment for him to go out and look like a tap dancer on that final shift. He turned away when he had several chances to finish hits. My point is this, what does it matter if you get a 2 minute or 4 minute penalty for coming up high on somebody in the last 1:15? It doesn't, so go do it, and if you do get in a fight, so be it. I'll tell you this much, BB didn't put him on the ice to score on that shift.

Obviously it is the ref's and defensemans job to protect the goalie, but when that isn't happening, it is on the tough guys. Go run their goalie, do something, go run a player and then chirp off to the Philly bench that running your goalie will come at a price. Brashear isn't on the team for the goals buddy.

Posted by: reekie | May 11, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Jill:
If you watch the interview that is on the play list just after that interview (from 5/2), he says he has not made a decision yet in that, as well. However, it could be that he made a decision during the playoffs, but did not want it to be final until he had some time to really think about it and some time for everything to really set in. He probably just did not want to be hasty, but over time felt his initial decision was the right decision. Regardless, he was emotional in that last interview - clearly this has not been easy for him. What got me was that he talked about his "crying session" and the fact that if communication had been different, he might have come back in a lesser role next season. Wow - that's gonna leave a mark. I suppose there is a chance that they could kiss and make up, but the chances of that happening are about the same as Jagr getting the Conn Smyth this year; possible, but not likely.

Mark:
Bummer! Hopefully they are still available and you can get it all sorted out tomorrow. RE: shortys, just the furry four-legged variety, but thanks anyway! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | May 11, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

reekie

True enough. Every player should finish off their checks.

Of course, you could have lost him for the next game, or the series if he was ejected. I'm not sure what 4-1 situation you're talking about though. None of the games ended up 4-1. You have to admit, though, that was a pretty goal he scored, and a really nice assist, too.

Chief

I, for one, have been chirpy about the Cap's lack of quality D-men since before the beginning of the season. In the FWIW column.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 11, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

@ Greg S
Sorry, you are right, it wasn't 4-1, I just remembered it being a 3 goal deficit. Final score was 6-3. It was nice goal he had, but he's still not on the team to do that. Obviously I'll take any goals he can chip in, but he has a more important role on the team.

Posted by: reekie | May 11, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@ Reekie,
My friend, you DO REALIZE that you've essentially contradicted yourself, don't you? First you say that Brashear was the "Biggest culprit" in not protecting Huet. Then you say, "It's the Caps' ( Plural ) job to prevent that, and they failed miserably in that regard." Now, which one is it? Brashear's job? Or, the entire team's? I believe the answer is obviously the latter. It's totally ludicrous to expect one man to do an entire team's fighting for them. LUDICROUS! The mere fact that you would even concoct such a twisted"Logic," I find to be patently absurd. Brashear ALWAYS does his job. His mere presence deters.
To use S. Morrison's broken jaw as an excuse is equally weak. I can just hear the conversation between Huet and Morrison. "I WOULD do MY JOB and stand up for you, but you see, I've got this slight problem, Christobal." The fact of the matter is that in Morrison's ENTIRE CAREER WITH WASH., HE'S YET TO PORTRAY HIMSELF AS A MAN. NOT ONCE IN 4 YEARS!! I think that speaks volumes about his lack of fortitude. I recall a game a couple of years ago, where the sissy was down on his knees holding his mouth, frantically looking for the teeth HE THOUGHT had been knocked out by an opponent who simply jabbed him in his grille one time. No, there is no toughness in Shaun Morrison. Never has been.
And, the same is true of Eric Fehr. Yes, he competes along the boards adaquetly. That's not my point. The fact that he (Literally) puts his arm in front of his face ( He did it TWICE in the Philly series )and looks as though he's about to assume the "Fetal position" is my beef with him. Yes, he IS 6' 4" 215 lbs. He might as well be St. Louis" size, for all the good it's doing him. And, yes I WAS IN HERSHEY, PA. ( During their final Calder Cup series in "07 ) and watched in disbelief as Miss Fehr allowed his opponent to literally bash his face into the ice REPEATEDLY, while he, AGAIN covered up like a big B' otch. I don't think it was any coinincidence that B. Boudreau benched him for the next TWO games.
What I find to be completely inconsistent, is that the architect of this team, one Mr. George McPhee, had the courage of two lions throughout his playing days in the NHL. And, he was a tiny little guy. Again, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of THE FIGHT IN THE DOG!! That's why it blows my mind to see this team full of so many wimps, George has put together. Here's a guy who'd fight ANYBODY. He was never concerned with losing a chicklet. I've never been a fan of George the GM, but one thing's indisputable, HE WAS A FRIGGIN MAN ON THAT ICE. Hell, I recall the time ( Since he's become the GM ) he had the balls to go into the OTHER TEAM'S LOCKER ROOM after a game, and punch someone in the face. Remember THAT? I think George's problem is that he's become enamored with "Skill," at the expense of having grit. I kept thinking how good it would have been for Brian Sutherby to have been with us during the Philly series. But, oh well.
And, this constant criticism of Sasha Semin borders on being absolutely insane. It seems as though no matter how well he plays, ( And he was our MVP of the Philly series )there're always a hord of numbskulls more than happy to find fault with his slightes mistake. It just makes no sense. And, to those surprised by his "Physical" play in the Philly series, I can only say that OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVEN'T REALLY BEEN WATCHING THE GAMES THESE LAST FEW YEARS. Never ONCE has Sasha Semin taken a backwards step when confronted by an opponent. He's pushed, He's shoved. And, yes, he's thrown punches too. Puckguru has NEVER had a question regarding HIS courage. Some of you people need to open your eyes, before you open your mouths next time. You'd certainly sound a lot less foolish.
Here's hoping for Sasha, and OV, and Brashear & Co. to be hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup about a year from now. There's still a lot of work to be done to improve our roster, but at least they're now headed in the right direction. If only gmgm would dispence with his penchant for the NOT - SO - BRIGHT July, Free Agent signings. That would shorten the process immeasureably. Peace to all... I'm out!

Posted by: Puckguru | May 11, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I think the team will learn to regret not having played him just one game in the playoff series. Not that we would have gone any further, but it would've been better.

Vezina trophy winner in goal or not, the team was not going to make the playoffs prior to this year. But he stayed and basically wasted 3 years of his career, investing in the team. Finally they get it together and the team says "we don't need you on the ice anymore." Like freakin' Moses in the desert.

I'm sure he's thinking WTF!

It sounds like a lot of us hope if he still wants to play that a strong team will give him a chance (realistically, to play back-up) and that he still has a year or two in the tank. His stats did seem to indicate he played much better rested this year.

Posted by: austinsteve | May 11, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@ Puckguru....Oh boy where do I start. Not sure how much of a contradiction that is. Obviously everybody on the team has a job to protect the goalie, but a heavy load falls on an enforcer's shoulders. Re: MO, not everybody plays like Scott Stevens, hate to break it to you. He takes the body, plays solid defense. Would I like to see him get a bit more physical, sure, but not everybody has the god given skill to just line people up every shift. Yes its a skill, not just how hard you work. Fehr didn't back down once in front of the net, I saw him in more scrums in front than any other player on the Caps.

Re GMGM: He is too enamored with skill?? Okay, lets bring back the Glen Hanlon coached team that was known around the league as the "hardest working" team in the league and one of the toughest to play against. That went really well, right? You need a mix. Not everybody has Semin's skill, and not everybody has Laich's grit. Otherwise, their name would be Alex Ovechkin. Not too many of those guys in the NHL.

Re Semin: I was merely pointing out the fact that ESPN the magazine listed him and Kozlov as 2 of the 5 softest players in the NHL. This was from interviewing players, coaches, and front office. Sorry they didn't get to get your word on Semin, give ESPN a call, they'll be sure to redact the article. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of "the other Alex", but I can't say that I hugely disagree. Remember when he had to be carried off right after coming back from his ankle injury from being slashed in the ankle. What was funny was that it was the other ankle than the one he had injured, and it was a one handed love tap. I agree he played tough as nails in the playoffs, but I can't fault ESPN for naming him in that article.

Posted by: reekie | May 11, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

By the way, for those of you who don't remember, the "ankle incident" was earlier in the year when Semin returned from his sprained ankle. Locker and Joe B were like "oh and he got one right in his ankle....oh wait thats not his injured one...." It was a one handed love tap to the ankle that crumpled Semin to the ice. Can't remember who it was against.

Posted by: reekie | May 11, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I find it humorous that everyone can't seem to grasp that it's the same MIDGET today as 8 years ago.
Semin is also the same guy as 5 years ago, meaning both MIDGET & Semin are NEVER going to be winners.
MIDGET, was paid to do whatever it took in the old days, which meant fight or go home, he may have thrown a few punches that landed, but given the Era he was playing in, he was a LOSER.

Aside from the Hobey, which I believe in those days meant essentialy NOTHING as it relates to NHL caliber, the MIDGET was a loser.
The Hobey today is entirely different as college hockey is a force.
Semin was extended a contract ONLY because of OV, YES, Semin is very skilled, does that mean he's bigger than the team ? Obviously not, so wait a while and you will all see the Usual (Flight missing) punk we all know.
Semin could care less about Washington, NHL, and the Stanley Cup.
Good luck BB, hope you don't get the CANCER that spreads so fast in DC.

Posted by: Chief | May 11, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

OK. If we're all going to be really stupid, here's where we lost the series and why the guys are playing golf and not playing for the Eastern Conference Champions.

It's all Alex's fault. Every last bit of it. Here we have the "MVP" of the NHL and he barely registered shots on net in some games. Some of them were, what, 2 or 3 low quality shots? That's an MVP? He should be in the AHL with that!

And who in their right mind would PASS instead of taking a quality shot in the closing minutes of game 7 where the score is tied?

And what the heck was Semin doing in the early games? Skating around worried that someone was going to blow on him and he'd crumble like a house of cards! What a waste of money! He should have been pushing into the center and shooting instead of trying to dazzle everyone with stick work.

When WILL Backstrom learn to SHOOT??? Where was the playoff dominant Fedorov? Where were Green's goals? Why did Schultz dress when he was injured? Where were...

This is an idiotic argument we're having. You can't blame 7+ HOURS of game time on one skater in the closing 1:20 of one game. It took a team to lose the series - including the coaching staff. There's sufficient blame to go around.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 11, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Chief: Semin could care less about Washington, NHL, and the Stanley Cup.

Wow here we go again with Chief's arrogance. Sometimes I wonder just what's going on in your mind.

Yeah if he's so "careless" about everything, why was it that he stepped his game up to another level during the postseason to clearly become our series MVP? Ovie had his moments for sure and finished the series great, but Semin played tough as nails all series, and when he scored cheered like a 6 year old's first goal. Why do all of this just for nothing or just for money? Funny.

Posted by: SoMDcapsfan | May 11, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@ Greg S.

I completely agree. This team was not ready for playoff intensity early in the series and just could not muster the energy to overcome their mistakes. The team definately LOST the series, not any individual.

I can't wait for next year and its only May. With the right pieces, a quality goalie (Huet) and a top notch D-man, the Caps will be well on their way back to the NHL postseason. Kudo's to all fans who've stayed with our nations capitals through the painful rebuild. It's all going to be worth in over the next 1 to 5 years!

C - A - P - S CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Posted by: SoMDcapsfan | May 11, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Puck Guru. Look at what you wrote. I guess playing with a dislocated collar bone and broken jaw is "failure to prove yourself as a man." I bet you wouldn't go sit behind your desk at work with those injuries, let alone play a hockey game.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 11, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

What's idiotic is having to question so many issues.
Montreal, Rangers, Flyers and MOST post season teams that have lost have nowhere near the outstanding problems that Washington has.
Of course there are 1 or 2 issues, but nothing nearly as obvious or as glaring as the Caps.
Then again, Be patient, keep believing, and of course "Rock the Red" woohoo

Posted by: Chief | May 11, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

What's idiotic is having to question so many issues.
Then again, Be patient, keep believing, and of course "Rock the Red" woohoo

Posted by: Chief | May 11, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Chief:

Please inform us of the problems the Capitals are facing using actual facts and not clueless thoughts. Minus a starting goalie (as of now) and maybe a top notch D-man what is wrong with the organization. Humor us.

If I can remember correctly, the Caps turned their year around right around Thanksgiving break, posting one of the best records in the league. IN THE LEAGUE! I believe we did that with a young core of defense and without clark or nylander. Yep Caps are in a lot of trouble for the future with a bunch of young guys who, by the way, won't ever get better I guess. If you can remember right, our top 4 guys back in the late '90s were together for a long time and molded together to become an elite group of defenders. All of which were not exactly "stars" by NHL standards. (Talking about Johansson, Gonchar, Reekie, and Witt). This is exactly what our core group is doing.

A successful franchise is NOT built over night moron. GMGM and Ted are doing a superb job rebuilding this team.

When it comes to our playoff run, all I have seen is that younger players have a tendancy in ALL sports to fold under the pressure of the playoffs. Even though the postseason did not turn out the way fans wanted, it was still a remarkable run for the Caps. Oh and the Caps are substantially under the cap when it comes to $$$ so like I said please enlighten us on "all the problems" our organization is having.

Oh and if you can't stand the way our team is run then go please by all means go route for cindy crysby and the pens, who by the way will see their team face a number of dilemmas when it comes to payroll.

Posted by: SoMDcapsfan | May 11, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Chief,
With all due respect, I sincerely believe you're missing a screw ot two. Now, please don't go and take it personally. I don't know you. And, likewise, you wouldn't know me from a can of paint. As a matter of fact I've been on YOUR SIDE more often than not. But, lately you seem to have gone off the deep end. There simply doesn't appear to be any "Point" to your criticisms. You appear to be extremely frustrated about something. And, I doubt very seriously if it has the slightest thing to do with hockey.
But, you're still my pal, if for no other reason than you're a Caps fan. I'm on YOUR side, Chief. Try chillin for a moment. You'll feel much better. Trust me.

Posted by: Puckguru | May 11, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I hate the pens and crosby.But even if crosby was my best friend,I would tell him to shave that dirt under his lip.He just looks ridiculous. Save the beard growing to the big boys.

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 11, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

mark,
I agree. My thirteen year old cousin has more impressive facial hair.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 11, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

chief, even puckguru thinks your're nuts. thats saying something.

i think its great that chief can have insight into a players thoughts and mind. for example, semin doesnt care about washington, nhl or stanley cup. that would be great info except we all know the fact is semin could stay in russia and make just as much dough playing in the russian super league or whatever its called, be closer to home and never have to learn english. but those are just facts, chief knows whats in semins heart.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | May 11, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

JMU- From the looks of a lot of the players this year,the playoff beard is turning into the playoff gotee. Not a lot of full beards being grown.

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 11, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

@ Cap Fan 1

AMEN! I totally agree with you there. Chief is nuts.

Posted by: SoMDcapsfan | May 11, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Quick question. What sort of solid and relieable stay at home defensemen could be available this July? Other than Brian Campbell.

Posted by: SoMDcapsfan | May 11, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Brian Campbell isn't what most people call a stay at home defenseman. Sorry for the mess up.

Posted by: SoMDcapsfan | May 11, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

that is the list of unrestricted FA defense.

To me Mike Commodore sticks out. Seems like the type we could use. Maybe you disagree, but I just remember him playing pretty tough while with Carolina.

Posted by: reekie | May 11, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

A few UFA D men (S@H or otherwise):

Adam Foote
Mark Streit
Michal Rozsival
Brian Campbell
Wade Redden

This is just a sampling of the many that may be available. I am not endorsing them, just putting them out there for discussion (since they are so different - in style, age, $$, etc.). So ... discuss :-)

Posted by: Boo! | May 11, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

reekie:
I think Commodore would be described as a S@H guy and I like what I have seen of his play, but his +/- is -7 for 07/08. That surprised me - maybe I have not seen him play enough? Regardless, do you think he would be looking for a move?

Posted by: Boo! | May 11, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I think he'd fit the bill. Again, I've said all along I think Alzner makes the squad, but still could add one vet. I'm not a fan of Jurcina, and like Erskine, but as a 7th D, but adding Commodore could make him expendable. All I know is that Commodore is a monster at about 6'5" 235, he isn't going to add much offensively, but he could be the tough stay at home we need. Not to mention, he knows the SE Division after a few years with Carolina. I don't watch enough of the other teams to really have seen him play though outside of the games against the Caps though. But I'm a fan, still young, tough, not gonna cost an absurd amount of money. He's my choice, but I'm not the GM.

Posted by: reekie | May 11, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

So away from all the fighting, did anyone see the "goal" the fins had in the game against the US today? How that wasn't overturned is crazy. You can check out the game highlights on TSN.ca

Posted by: Mike | May 11, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

reekie:
I would agree with all of that, and I hope that Juice goes - he just didn't perform this season, and he had ample opportunity. I have not seen Alzner play much, but everything that I have read is that he is all that and then some (plus he gives an entertaining interview ;-)). I look forward to seeing how he does in the NHL - hopefully this year!

Posted by: Boo! | May 11, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Cap Fan 1,
My initial reaction after reading your Not - So - Subtle Diss of me, was to simply ignore it. You know. Not dignify it by even responding. But, the more I thought about it, the funnier it became, and the more I laughed ----- as I'm doing right now. So, I guess I want to thank you, dude. I enjoy a good laugh, even when it's about Puckguru. Peace. Hahahaha....

Posted by: Puckguru | May 11, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

My point is simple.

What's with accepting the same MIDGET/IDIOT to attempt a rebuild when that individual destroyed the team ??

At this point, given the latest handling of Kolzig, the writing on the wall is crystal clear that he's still an IDIOT.

no Signed/Starting goalie & no defense since Tinordi went down, Under the watch of the MIDGET.
What else needs to be argued, the assembling of a team is NOT to be had by the MIDGET.
Losing and drafting ?? Absolutely.
Final assembly (free agents) after you reap the rewards for being a LOSER ?? NO WAY.
Please explain who has a screw loose ?
Those that "keep believing" or those that do not tolerate losing ??

Posted by: Chief | May 12, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Chief has been polluting this board with insults for quite some time now. All his comments are useless and stripped of their initial entertaining value. I believe this is a disturbed individual, who should seek professional help - and possibly some medications.

Posted by: mauree | May 12, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

When you're looking at U/RFA's, be careful of the NHLCAP.COM webpage. They apparently use two databases and they don't have the same people in them.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 12, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

@ reekie

Thanks for the link. And I agree with your point on Commodore and Alzner. Commodore is a rugged defenseman that you can rely on in all situations. Including the PK which wasn't the hottest in the league by any means. Jurcina needs to go. Was I the only one that was nervous as hell when he touches the puck? Just ask Sammy Kapanen how great of a defender he is. As for Alzner, I haven't seen him play very often but if he was the WHL MVP then he's gotta be pretty good. Is he more of the stay-at-home type or the offensive type like greenie?

@ Boo!

Rozsival would also fit our into our system. Even though I doubt NYR will let him go. He can play in all situations as well and is very reliable. As for streit, he's more of a PP producer which we don't really need and isn't exactly an amazing defender as he plays wing as well. Campbell would be awesome to have but way to much $$$ and the same goes for Redden.

Posted by: SoMDcapsfan | May 12, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Chief:

You never answered my question above! How is our organization in shambles after this year's run? And how is it any worse than the rest of the NHL? Please like I said use facts that actually make sense. All your statements sound like complete B.S.

Posted by: SoMDcapsfan | May 12, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

My understanding is that Alzner is a stay at home guy. It would be great to pair him with a "teacher" - like the Caps did for 18 yr. old Scott Stevens by pairing him with Brian Engblom. I hope Alzner starts next season but we need a big splash UFA signing on D - Commodore or Foote would be great, the latter must have played quite a bit with Fedorov on the Blue Jackets...

Posted by: tokyo fan | May 12, 2008 1:27 AM | Report abuse

guru, it wasn't supposed to be a subtle diss, but you keep laughing there by yourself. i do agree with your assessment of our pal chief, so we got some common ground after all.

but chief is right, gmgm destroyed the team since 2003. i mean, if i didn't know better i'd think he did it as part of some organized strategy to build through the draft and manage salaries in the era of the salary cap.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | May 12, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

First, I love the fact we are intense about our team in May, when we arent even playing anymore. This, is healthy.

My 3 cents...

Jurcina, OUT. Hardest slapshot on the team, never saw it applied in a game. One of the biggest guys on the team, never played big.

Poti, OUT. Trade him and his ridiculous salary. I can't believe we're still on the hook with him for $14M. I'm not sure who would want him, but find somebody.

Schultz, IN. But feed him raw meat in a cage with a Mountain Lion. The boy was playing well prior to the post-season, but was either playing hurt or playing scared, either way, both are inexcusable.

Erskine, I DONT KNOW. Big dude who can't pass to save his life. Every outlet pass was icing or a turnover.

Mo, IN. He should also spend some time in a cage with a wild cat eating nothing but road kill.

Eminger, IN. If he wants to stay, he can play for me.

Green, Eminger, Schultz, Morrisonn, IN.
Jurcina, Erskine, OUT.

FIX. Trade Poti, NOW. Make a play on a UFA, there are plenty out there that you can have for less than $3.5M, who can do more. Bring up Alzner and let him learn, he can't be any worse than how Schultz looked in the beginning of last season.

Green, Morrisonn
UFA, Alzner
Eminger, Schultz

Erskine, Lepisto, Clymer...

There have been a ton of good points brought up by a lot of people here. My feeling with the grit or lack of grit situation is simple. Had we lost to Philly 4-1 and not 4-3, I would be screaming that this team needs more chutzpah.

So I'm not sold on the fact that we arent tough enough to win, not yet.

Semin definitely showed me he does have some fire in his belly, even Backstrom looked like an non-euro too. I don't think we have to worry about being bullied around, right now. Ask me again Dec 15th.

Posted by: JSchon | May 12, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

My 3 cents...

Eminger, IN. If he wants to stay, he can play for me.

Green, Eminger, Schultz, Morrisonn, IN.
Jurcina, Erskine, OUT.

Green, Morrisonn
UFA, Alzner
Eminger, Schultz

Erskine, Lepisto, Clymer...

So I'm not sold on the fact that we arent tough enough to win, not yet.

Posted by: JSchon | May 12, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

My 3 cents...

Eminger, IN. If he wants to stay, he can play for me.

Green, Eminger, Schultz, Morrisonn, IN.
Jurcina, Erskine, OUT.

Green, Morrisonn
UFA, Alzner
Eminger, Schultz

Erskine, Lepisto, Clymer...

So I'm not sold on the fact that we arent tough enough to win, not yet.

Posted by: JSchon | May 12, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

My 3 cents...

Eminger, IN. If he wants to stay, he can play for me.

Green, Eminger, Schultz, Morrisonn, IN.
Jurcina, Erskine, OUT.

Green, Morrisonn
UFA, Alzner
Eminger, Schultz

Erskine, Lepisto, Clymer...

So I'm not sold on the fact that we arent tough enough to win, not yet.

Posted by: JSchon | May 12, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

GMGM should be fired and someone brought in who can talk to players -- Kolzig is a class act and he deserves better -- he should not be put in the position to leave -- you talk with him and figure out how to retire him as a cap be it as a back-up or whatever -- at least talk to him -- if you can't talk to player's ecspecially one of Olie's stature which everyone looks into --- what is to say he doesn't talk to green or ovie one year and tick them off -- this is our organiztion let's not ruin the great chemistry we created this year!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Let me make this clear. IN NO WAY do I consider Chief to be a "Nut case." Far from it. What he is, is a guy whose lost patience with management's never - ending "Spins." He's a guy that wants to win NOW! He's sick and tired of all of this "In the future" crap. And, most of all, he's completely fed up with McPhee's blatant incompetence --------- and the fans willingness to buy his sorry excuses for same. Yes,I feel Chief's pain. I feel it, because I concur with him on each of the points I've just enunciated.
George McPhee's ten ( 10 ) years as GM have been a disaster. His draft record is an abysmal joke. His July Free Agent signings have been an abomination. Most recently ( July 2007 ) Kozlov, Poti, and Nyls. Geez! What a collosal waste!! And, please don't any of you morons out there point to OV, or Backstrom as "Shrewd" picks. Please don't insult everyone's intelligence. With the lone exception of Matt Pettinger, NOT ONE OF George's 2nd rd. picks has done a damned thing. NOT ONE!! And, I won't even bother to list the 1st. round bust during his tenure. I'd most assuredly get "Writer's cramp" long before I'd finished.
What some of you people fail to understand, is that I've been a Caps fan since their inception in 1974. Hell, I'm sure a large percentage of you weren't even BORN YET. So, please try and understand. I'M FRIGGIN FED UP WITH LOSING!! AND, I'M EVEN MORE SICK AND TIRED OF ALL THE VARIOUS "SPINS" TO EXPLAIN AWAY THE INCOMPETENCE. Enough's enough!! If you think I'm overjoyed because they sqeeked into the playoffs on the very last day, then you simply don't get it. Fact is, THAT WAS THE WORST THING THAT COULD POSSIBLY HAVE HAPPENED TO THIS FRANCHISE. WHY? Because that idiot McPhee won't get fired, as he should have SEVERAL YEARS AGO. THAT'S WHY!! Obviously, Ted Leonsis must be drinking the "Funny water" because he hasn't seen through the rouse EITHER. And, HE'S THE OWNER OF THE TEAM!
So, yes I feel Chief's ( And others ) frustration and pain. And, as I've stated before, HELL NO, I will not contribute another dime to this franchise until gmgm is G O N E. And, that's a fact. I'll have to be satisfied listening and watching on Comcast Cable. Which leaves me with that cackling idiot Craig Laughlin, and his wusp sidekick, Joe Beninatti. Jesus! Woe is me.

Posted by: Puckguru | May 12, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

As far as Ollie is concerned. He had an opportunity to talk with management. It was called a season ending exit interview. He choose to skip it. No team is ready to discuss the following year the day after the season ends. I will give him credit in one sense, it was wise to wait and talk, but clearly both sides did not talk prior to his pronoucment. What no one on this board knows is wheather either side tried to contact the other one, until then it was all Ollie choice as far as I can tell. Other than Hasek and Brodeaur very few is any goalies play past 37 or 38. Dont ask me why, but Roy, Cujo and most very good ones lose about at that age. Can anyone name another goalie other than above who played well after 38?

Posted by: Rich c | May 12, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

puckguru you know your stuff -- and Rich C look at the facts management last told Olie he was there goalie -- yeah Huet was a great pick-up but you need to show class and talk to Olie about a reduced role or a shared role Vanbiesbrook-Richter type of combo could have been sweet!!!! McPhee publicly apologize to Kolzig and fix this or better yet Ted find a new GM!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Puckguru on almost everything. I think I might be a little more optimistic at the current team as him but he brings up very good points, now if Chief could that...

Me, what I'm most sick of is the free pass a lot of fans give this team.

I had CapsFan73 try to convince me that winning the Wales Conference and winning the Patrick Division meant something. Last time I checked they mean squat. No one remembers that crap. All professional teams should be playing for the Cup. I understand rebuilding, retooling and refining, but there comes a point when its time to win... I could care less how many Patricks, Southeast Diviision banners we have hanging from the rafters, you know why they are there? Because you wouldnt know that Washington DC was on the map when it comes to hockey unless they were there.

That said, GMGM can redeem his respect with a Cup in the next 3 years. This team is young, its learning and its good, not great, yet. If PG doesnt want to spend another dime on the team until GMGM is out, so be it. I might be right there with him in 3 years.

Posted by: JSchon | May 12, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Just read some of the posts, and noting our current situation on D, would anyone be up to sign Orpik away from the Pens, if we could get him fairly reasonably, he seems pretty solid and willing to throw the body around, he isn't quite the teacher we need for Alzner, but might work well with Emmy.

Posted by: AP | May 12, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit - as exciting as it was for the Caps to make the play-off's, it did mean McPhail bought himself additional time. When you consider his track record with the Caps, nobody can argue it's a good thing.

Also - while Bruce Boudreau turned this team around in a half season, who's to say he's the answer long term? I just don't get the "we've signed him up for the long term". Sure - Boudreau did a great job taking over from Hanlon, but is he the long term guy?? I don't know, how does Leonsis?

I'm a little bit suprised actually. It's the perfect time to let McPhail go - the team made the play-off's, some draft picks panned out, team is ready to begin to go to the next level, now it's time to cut the cord, get someone in here who knows what they're doing, and McPhail can catch on with some other team that needs to rebuild - Leafs?

It's too bad b/c the Caps are on the verge of something big...but the right person needs to be guiding the ship to get it to the proper destination. Until McPhail is gone, it's going to be lots of "almost/could haves/we were so close".

I think the best example is the Ron Wilson firing - he's a false prophet. He knows systems, and is very knowledgeable of the game - no question, but he's not the guy who can lead a team to the Cup.

Posted by: Jaymagz | May 12, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Its hard to watch the face of the franchise leave. But you have to look at the big picture. Olie yes WAS a great goalie for a long time. But over the years he was letting in easy goals. To say that he wasn't special is a crime, but I think he lost a stride or 6. Overall we did the right thing by bringing in Huet. I do think that Olie could've helped us in the Playoff's maybe in one of the overtimes, and been a very good reserve.

I wish him the best to where ever his career takes him, I hope that if he still plays that he goes to a contender (western conference hopefully) like Detroit, SJ, Colorado, and wins a much deserved Cup.

Over all the caps did the right thing. We hopefully resign Huet to a multi year deal, so we can bring up and develop our young studs in the system.

NEXT YEAR WILL BE THE YEAR OF THE CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WILL ALWAYS WEAR MY KOLZIG JERSEY WITH PRIDE.

Posted by: pstylee | May 13, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse