Team USA makes a statement in win over Norway

(Getty Images)

From the AP:

The U.S. men's hockey team won its second straight game with a solid 6-1 win against overmatched Norway on Thursday.
Phil Kessel, Chris Drury scored first-period goals, top-line forward Patrick Kane added one in the second, and Brian Rafalski found the net twice in the closing minutes to give the Americans the blowout win they were looking for.
Norway got a short-handed goal from Marius Holtet in the second period, but has been outscored 14-1 in these Olympics.
Ryan Miller, the designated U.S. starter for every game, needed to make only 10 saves to earn his second victory.
Ryan Malone also scored in the third period for the United States, who recorded 39 shots on goal. A win Sunday against Canada will clinch Group A for the Americans.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 18, 2010; 5:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Russia practices, Swedes and Czechs open with wins
Next: Sidney Crosby's shootout goal saves a nation

Comments

U-S-A!!! U-S-A!!!

Posted by: zyvo23 | February 18, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

A win Sunday against Canada will clinch Group A for the Americans.
-----
(Watch out for flying pigs on Sunday)

Posted by: weetabixjihad | February 18, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Sunday night agaynst the Canadians should be something.

Posted by: broud0 | February 18, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

A win 'WILL' happen

I've got it on good authority there's a cold front headed towards Hell as we speak..

@weetabixjihad
So who is your flying pig source?

Posted by: austinsteve | February 18, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

@weetabixjihad

Time for a three peat (after 18-u Games and the Under 20 World Juniors).

And where do we expect to see this storm of flying pigs?

@austinsteve

And, of course, you're assuming that Hell is a cold place. Dante actually described a cold area in Hell.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 18, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Not much of a statement, really, by the Americans.

Anyway, Canadians are on now, and I really like the retro jerseys. 2 observations:

1) Isn't it nice the way Cindy's lips match the red in the jerseys?

2) I never thought about it much, but why in God's name did an entire country pick a leaf as its symbol? Really and truly. I understand colors and animals and stuff but a leaf? OK, so they have maple trees. Big whoop, we have them too. What if US picked a pine cone as a symbol? And what if Mexico picked an agave branch? And what if Holland picked a Dutch Elm branch? And if Switzerland picked a hunk o' swiss cheese and England picked a slab of london broil? Our national symbol is the eagle. Pretty cool, eh? If you Canadians had a do-over, would you "do the right thing" and at least pick a moose or something?

Also, Roenick keeps picking at Milbury. Right now Jeremy Roenick is like my favorite person on earth who isn't female, in my family or part of the Caps organization. You go, JR.

Someone should tell Milbury to go and rake leaves or something. Rotten player; rotten coach; rotten GM; rotten announcer; and probably a rotten human. Memo to NBC: Can Milbury and hire JR.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 18, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

USA! CRUSH MILBURY! USA! USA!

Posted by: mjwies11 | February 18, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

If anyone is interested, or cares or is wondering, I will soon transition to tominca1. Yes, I have accepted the offer and will be moving cross country. After 52 years on the East Coast, it's off to the Left Coast. And while I did this for a fistfull of dollars, once you subtract the extra taxes I'll be lucky to get a few dollars more.

Needless to say I'll only be making 20% of what Steckel is hauling in this year. He's a 4th liner while I'm a first line cost estimator. Unfortunately you can't get 20,000 people to fill an arena to watch me select a starting performance, a learning curve and a non-touch support factor after analyzing manufacturing performance data. And let's not even start on LOE support, Procurement factors like NPA and ECN and, of course, the ever-popular software LOC growth.

And even if you get people interested in such stuff (believe me, it really IS exciting) NBC would hire Milbury or some other twit and he'd say Canadians were better estimators.

Life is just so unfair that I wonder why we even try :).

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 18, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1: After 51 years on the east coast, this summer I will become, well I'll still be uncatim, but I will be a Caps fan in Sharks territory. And I'll still hate milbury, the phlyers, & jagr.

Posted by: uncatim | February 18, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Swiss scored! And a PP! I might start yodeling!

At least, I might have a Ricola even though I'm not sick.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 18, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

uncatim: By God, we'll be neighbors! Well, not that close, I'll be just north of Kings territory, but within range of Kings and Ducks when Caps come around.

Good luck uncatim if you can afford it there. I had an opportunity for Sunnyvale but deemed it just too expensive. Palmdale is high but not so bad. Housing that's 300 here is only like 350 there with the drop in prices. Now's the time! San Jose though is sky high. Moving from DC to outer LA is probably break even. In you case, if you can do it, congrats! Check out Fremont for place to go. We went through and they had a really nice area near the San Jose Mission. It was so nice I could have pulled my car into someone's driveway at random and asked if I could live there as the gardener. Or the accountant.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 18, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Swiss have tied the Canadians! I am jumping up and down waving a pack of Ricola cough drops! Do you believe in miracles!?

uncatim: Have you been out there? If you are south of San Jose, Santa Cruz is like the coolest place you can imagine. They have this huge amusement park right on the Pacific and all kinds of nice neighborhoods that hang over the cliffs that drop to the beach. Further south even is Monterey, which is perfect for vacation all summer due to moderate temperatures, laid back style and small-town environment. Then again, SF just up the coast which is my favorite big city and then not much further to Napa and Sonoma need I say more except I fill their pockets with profit each night at dinner (right now: w/roasted chicken, St Clement Napa chardonnay).

Down the coast even further Big Sur like the coolest hiking and then you can take PCH to Hearst Castle all the way to San Luis Obispo and the Paso Robles wine region.

No work tomorrow if Swiss beat Canada I'm popping open a second bottle and it'll be party all night until the sun comes up.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 18, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1: I'll be in Sharks territory but actually pretty far from San Jose, I'm moving to Chico. I don't know how I'll get tickets when the Caps come to San Jose, but somehow I will.

Posted by: uncatim | February 18, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I've never been there but I am going to Chico next month. I am going to be with my girlfriend, whose brother (& old high school buddy of mine)lives in Santa Cruz. My niece's boyfriend is currently in San Jose, but plans to move back to LA this summer. My niece took him to his first hockey game when the Caps were in San Jose, she wore her Ovechkin jersey.

Go Switzerland!

Posted by: uncatim | February 18, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I found Jarlsberg Swiss cheese in fridge and I'm now eating!!!!

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 18, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Come on Swiss! Hold on!

Posted by: capscoach | February 18, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Milbury, the Canadians are tied with the Swiss. Where is golden boy Crosby?

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 18, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

The Canada/Switz game definitely has the feel of that 1980 game. The Swiss are overmatched but are playing their hearts out and the goaltending has been great.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 18, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

It feels strange rooting for Marleau to score.

Posted by: uncatim | February 18, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

BTW, thank God NBC is showing women's snowboard halfpipe so I don't need to change channels.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 18, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Crosby with a bloody nose. Yes!

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 18, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

If the Swiss can somehow manage to pull this out, then I can't wait 'til Milbury's postgame analysis.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 18, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Have you noticed how the Canadians have so much offense they don't need Mike Green?

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 18, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Milbury, Burnside and Cherry can all get dengue fever and I would laugh uncontrollably.

Posted by: JSchon | February 18, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I really hope the Swiss pull an upset with Canada. My predictions are Russia gold, Sweden silver, and USA bronze. Canada does not look awesome.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 18, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Jonas Hiller!!

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 18, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

HILLER IS FRICKIN' RIDICULOUS!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 18, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Hiller should feel right at home playing against so many of the Sharks, it's last year's playoffs all over again

Posted by: joek443 | February 18, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Hiller is unconscious. I guess you can see why Giguere was expendable.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 18, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

re: Marleau. I'm a moron.

Posted by: uncatim | February 18, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Canada PP in the final minutes -- shocker

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 18, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Dan boyle on the right point with the game on the line power play instead of Mike Green? BWAH HAH HAH!

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 18, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

U.S. wins the group.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 18, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Great closeup of Crosby's nostrils.

I needed to see that like I need to see inside my neighbor's trash can.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 18, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh forgot that Canada won a game.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 18, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

ccCapsfan: That's funny!

Posted by: uncatim | February 18, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

my memory is hazy, but the Swiss beat Canada in '06, did they not?

Posted by: The_Spear | February 18, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe this is going to a shootout!! This is an embaressment for Canada even if they pull out the win! I am soooooo Happy!!!

Posted by: capscoach | February 18, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capscoach | February 18, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Question: How much hair dye does Babcock use?

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 18, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

i like marty - but i hope he fails here

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 18, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

It really is an embarrassment. I'm so stoked. At least they will not get the three points for this game, regardless.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 18, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

He uses more dye than Nylander!

Posted by: uncatim | February 18, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Crosby: STUFFED

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 18, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Overtime = Cheese

Posted by: underpants2 | February 18, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

@The_Spear

Yeah Canada lost to Switzerland 2-0 in 2006. I remember getting up at 7 am, watching that, and feeling miserable (I am Canadian).

One thing to notice, the Canadian PP was 1 for 7 tonight. Nobody can tell me they couldn't use Mike Green, especially in place of Boyle, who was AWFUL tonight.

Posted by: Aldred15 | February 18, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Team USA,

Time to beat Canada on Saturday and be top dogs of the group (and get a nice seeding position for the next portion of the Olympics.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 18, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

This sucks. I can just see how this will play out in the studio:

Milbury: Once again, this proves that Crosby is far better than Ovechkin.
Roenick: You're more full of crap than my grandmother when her colostemy backed up.
Milbury: So not only does Crosby have one more Cup than Ovechkin, but he has one more Olympic, shootout game winner.

JR: Yeah, well, that's only because Crosby played like dung and let the Swiss hang in there.

Milbury: If you don't shut up, Roenick, I'm going to hit you over the head with my shoe.

JR: You know, Milbury, you suck as an announcer even worse than you sucked as a player and you sucked as a player even worse than as a GM.

Emrick: OK, we've got Sidney live!

JR says Crosby is best player in world, arguably?

All credibility for JR is now gone. Obviously the head of NBC told him he'd better shape up or he'd be on next plane for Saskatoon and would be replaced by Jay Leno in booth. The coverage will only get worse. I doubt I can drink enough to tolerate it.

Babcock is an idiot, Yzerman is brain-dead and Milbury is a clown. Let's go anyone but canada.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 18, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

you Crosby haters would probably enjoy life more if you actually acknowledged that Sid was a solid player, but that's too much to ask of people of your intelligence

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 18, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

The game is on Sunday. I suppose that is the only day of the year that I will be cheering for an opposite team as everyone else on here. You guys can call me names if you want.

Posted by: Aldred15 | February 18, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone watch Pronger play? Pronger made Methuselah look like a kid. And here Yzerman who took more shots to the head than Gerald R. Ford thought Pronger was a better choice to pick than Mike Green.

Memo to Steve Yzerman: I've seen that blank look on your face on TV. Your neck size is bigger than the number of active brain cells you still have in your head. Retire quickly before you look REALLY stupid.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 18, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I just think Crosby is an over rated player. I also think he's a cocky a-hole. People say the same about OV, but at least he has personality (i.e. breakaway competition last year with the hat and glasses, etc.). Crosby is a snob and he, in my eyes, will never be of Gretzky/Lemiux/Howe stature. What Semin said about him 1 or 2 year(s) ago was DEAD-ON.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 18, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

maybe Semin was right about Crosby but it was said by the wrong messenger... what's Semin ever done in big games, especially in the playoffs?

Posted by: joek443 | February 18, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Aldred15: I'd never in a million years call you names for rooting for your team. No one here would call you names for rooting for you team; if they did, I'd call them names.

Now, if you said Crosby was better than Ovechkin, I'd call you a quack hockey fan. And, if you ever had any decent thing to say about Milbury, I'd ask how much you were being paid.

to puckheaded1: Crosby is a great player, but he's a spoiled brat. I'd ask you to understand that but it might too much for someone of Mike Milbury's intelligence. If you ask me to list the best players in the NHL, I'd make Crosby #2. If you ask me to name the best people playing in the NHL, I put Crosby near the bottom.

I enjoy life plenty fine, how bout you?

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 18, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

The people who are still obsessing over Crosby vs. Ovechkin are missing some great Olympic games. Ovechkin fans are so insecure with themselves and their favorite player it's hilarious.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | February 19, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jumpy66 | February 19, 2010 9:20 AM

Insecure.....hahahahaha

Posted by: Chase4 | February 19, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Screw the Russians and Canadians. GO USA!

Posted by: Jumpy66 | February 19, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@Jumpy66:

It's clear from your blogname what team you root for.

I know it must bore you to death over at the Pens' blogs--nothing to do over there but talk about How Great Crosby Is, blah, blah, blah.

Nevertheless, I think you should go back there.

I think you should go now.

And just in case you think past results are a guarantee of future performance, think again:

Le festivale du Mario c'est finis! Vive le Jesu Rouge! Mort aux Penguines!

Rough Translation: "MarioFest is long over! Long live the Red Jesus! Death to the Penguins!"

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 19, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for the Americans. Clearly, beyond blaspheming Christianity, you can't read. My favorite players in the tournament have been Ryan Malone and the Czech's Jaromir Jagr. Speaking of Jagr AND Pens' blogs, there's an interesting tidbit on Jagr saying he wants to return to the NHL. He's looked like one of the better players in the tournament:

Posted by: Jumpy66 | February 20, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse