Team USA has Canada's fans seething red

(Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

Canadian fans hoping to see the United States lose to Finland were reduced to stunned silence as the Americans rolled to a 6-1 victory and advanced to Sunday's gold medal game. Columnist Tracee Hamilton writes:

VANCOUVER, B.C. -- The Canadians have been a happy folk for much of the past two weeks. They wear their flags like capes and their red maple leaf jerseys like government mandates and their hearts on their sleeves, especially where hockey is concerned. They turned out Friday for the men's semifinal between the United States and Finland -- not in droves, but in respectable numbers for a game in which Canada was not involved. And these were not fans who arrived early to the Canada-Slovakia game; the arena is completely emptied between games.
Nope, these were folks who had tickets and a dream -- a dream of seeing the United States lose to Finland. And my, were they unhappy for much of the day, until Antii Miettinen ruined Team USA's shutout with 5 minutes 14 seconds to play. Then Canada Hockey Place erupted.

Click here to read the rest.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 26, 2010; 8:52 PM ET
 | Tags: Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spirited rout of Finland lands USA in Olympic hockey gold medal game
Next: Varlamov, Sloan and Laing assigned to Hershey

Comments

Go USA! (except Orpik)

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 26, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

@LloydChristmas

I agree with you. Go USA.

I'll admit that rooting for Orpik is like rooting for the guys who used to harass my elder daughter back when she was in school.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

We could say that the US hockey team had kipper snack for lunch.

Okay, that's a bad joke.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I ever saw a goalie pull himself outta the game unless he was injured till this afternoon

Posted by: joek443 | February 26, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | February 26, 2010 9:29 PM

Richard Nixon once pulled himself out of the White House. Similar? No?

"Spiro, you go in. They're beating me like a flea-infested rug."

I have donned my in-person autographed Bondra jersey for the game. I will root for Mother Slovakia.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 26, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

@TomInFla

This is one of these times we wish that the Czechs and Slovaks were still united. What an awesome hockey team that would be.

Ah well! A union between those two nations wasn't meant to be.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Well I just posted a long piece essentially saying that the bad PR moment will blow over before I realized we had a new piece. Let's get Ovi and the boys home. BB should text them that practice is on Sat. Ha. But seriously if nothing happened to Kane which was car more serious then we are just paying listening to scorned media. Doesn't matter because Ovi has my "hart".

More newsworthy though is the US team. What a statement game. I actually have hope that they can win gold. How fabulous would that be! And let's remember that that cheap punk Kane (just kidding on the punk) is on that team.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 26, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Rats Canada is up by 2. Been traveling so haven't been able to watch the games.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 26, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

The bias towards Canada is so very annoying. I really hope the US pwns them on Sunday. It is probably not likely to happen, but if it did, I'd be so happy.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 26, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

@dfe1 (from previous thread),

Don't worry. I'm not trying to vilify Ovi before getting the facts straight.

I was merely reporting that Edward Fraser of The Hockey News was calling for Ovi to get suspended. Fraser's call, in my humble opinion, is totally outrageous.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75, oh, I didn't mean you were trying to vilify him--I meant Fraser. Thanks for the heads up on the article (or should I say fiction.)

Posted by: dfe1 | February 26, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

@dfe1

Fiction is a good word for it. (Fraser's article)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

See you Sunday, Canada! Exciting comeback from Slovakia really made it a good game.

USA USA USA!!!

Posted by: dc33 | February 26, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Finland pulled a Russia today. Amazing collapse by a team / goalie that has only allowed 4 goals in the entire tournament prior to this game.

Mad props to the Slovaks for almost making Canada, its arrogant fans and dumbass TV pundits almost eat crow. They were given zero respect before the game and during it. Millbury said they have almost no chance, JR disagreed saying that they have NO CHANCE. After the 2nd period CNBC was promoting the final as Canada vs. USA. It was a foregone conclusion. Yet, the Slovaks made Canada run around in their own zone and Demitra came within the width of a cross bar to tying the game.

Puck Daddy gave Luongo the 3rd star today. I would disagree. If anything, he has looked very shaky in every game so far and if I were Canadian I'd be very nervous before the final. Roberto has been barely tested, but when that's happened he's been far from impenetrable. The Germans scored against him, the Russians scored 3 even though they barely entered the Canadian zone and he was a very lucky boy to escape with a win today (Demitra actually had 2 100% chances).

Posted by: ranndino | February 27, 2010 2:16 AM | Report abuse

GO USA !!!!! RUSSIA WITH YOU GUYS,PLEASE BEAT CANADA :)) !!!!1

Posted by: ErwinoffRussia | February 27, 2010 3:26 AM | Report abuse

No, blame Canada
Blame Canada
We need to form a full assault
It’s Canada’s fault!
Well, blame Canada
Blame Canada
It seems that everything’s gone wrong
Since Canada came along
Blame Canada
Blame Canada
They’re not even a real country anyway

Posted by: ErwinoffRussia | February 27, 2010 3:41 AM | Report abuse

With their beady eyes and flapping heads.

Thanks Erwin, I feel like it's probably the entire world VS Canada on Sunday. GO USA (except Orpik)!

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 27, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Wonder how Mike Green feels about this final.

Canada just barely survived the last 5 minutes against Slovakia. Several times I thought they had it tied.

Posted by: rjma1 | February 27, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

@dfe1 (from previous thread),

Don't worry. I'm not trying to vilify Ovi before getting the facts straight.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 26, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

This guy is calling for Ovi to be suspended, so I'd like to read how many games he was calling for Patrick Kane to be suspended after his cab incident?

Posted by: cainoo7x | February 27, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Ovi will still be in Vancouver through the weekend. It appears he'll be carrying the flag for the closing ceremonies.

(Alex, stay out of trouble, please.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 27, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

rumour buzz around Thomas vokoun to caps for Theo + Pick + Marcus Johnson. Is vokoun a top 5 goalie in the NHL. thoughts?

Posted by: samb99 | February 27, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

@ranndino just for your information Milbury and JR are your American tv pundits not Canadian....guess I prefer to be an arrogant Canadian than an uninformed American.,,,PS why dont you go try and take a picture of OV and get your head smacked so you can start thinking straight

Posted by: wendel2 | February 27, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: samb99

I heard it was John Carlson or Marcus Johansson. Once Carlson's name in the picture, I want that rumor to be shot down. You cannot trade Carlson, even if it's for a goalie like Vokoun, who I'd love to have on our team.

wendel: why are you so rude? Everytime I read your comments you come off as such a jerk. Are you just always in a bad mood?

Posted by: rachel216 | February 27, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@samb99
I don't think that the Caps will be trading Marcus Johansson. I see him as the Caps #2 center in a few years and he is an extremely talented player.

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 27, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@rachel....rude is calling an entire nation arrogant...I am in a great mood awaiting tommorrow's game but will not let some bimbo call out all Canadian ( as the majotiry of Caps and Bears are Canucks) and blane Canada for JR and Millbury who aren't doing game broadcasts in Canada....If that makes you think I am a jerk so be it..Its ok for you to call me a jerk but I cant tell randinno what i think of her....keep using that double standard girlie

Posted by: wendel2 | February 27, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Wendel, why are so many Canadians leaving their country, moving to the US, and marrying Americans to obtain US citizenship? Are you one of those?

Posted by: zmega | February 27, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

@wendel2

Rachel didn't call you a jerk she said you come off as a jerk when you comment. Therefore, that is not a double standard. Please do not be uninformed when you comment.

Also, did you reallly use the term "bimbo"? Did we go back in time or something?

Posted by: sgm3 | February 27, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega

-------------------------------------------

Sorta like Pittsburgh people moving to DC. :)

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 27, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@zmegma...no I am not married to an American....as for moving to the US I guess it would have to do with jobs like 31 out of the 48 players in the Caps system who are Canadian..guess there aren't enough qualified Americans so they bring in Canucks who are better...not sure how many of them are married to Americans or why but dont think they are becoming Yanks unless it is for the money ...certainly isnt for the medical coverage or quality of education or social programs but if you want to be sure check the UN human development index of countries that lists nations for desirability and see who ranks higher between the US and Canada

Posted by: wendel2 | February 27, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3 you are so concerned about splitting hairs that u missed my point do u need it explained to u again?

Posted by: wendel2 | February 27, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Wendel, the Canadian system has certain advantages, to be sure. And if you have observed U.S. media, we have more than our share of knuckleheads. I am embarrassed by Milbury, and I hope you are embarrassed by Cherry. I love the Maritime Provinces and have considered trying to find a way to relocate to Nova Scotia for the warm half of the year. I may be able to do my consulting work by internet/phone, etc., from there. Do you think I would have a problem there wearing an Ovechkin jersey?

Posted by: zmega | February 27, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Canada has a population of barely over 30 million, about a tenth of ours... apples and oranges

Posted by: joek443 | February 27, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I suppose the Doofus Brigade can accept foreigners, no? Hey, we've got Don Cherry in there. And Crosby and Pronger.

Private First Class wendel2: Congratulations, you've been drafted! Report to the supply dept. You'll need a rifle, boots and a Don Cherry approved beret. Start marching, soldier!

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 27, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Well, I tried to be nice to him, but it seems he has scurried off.

Posted by: zmega | February 27, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Don Cherry is great he calls out anything he doesnt like so u fools hate him cause he has an opinion...wait til he comments on OV and the camera girl....
@zmega in Canada there are lots of OV fans and jeseys ....wear what u want...but you will have to pass a written exam to immigrate to Canada which is why so many Americans dont qualify

Posted by: wendel2 | February 27, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

LOL I'm sure millions of Americans are lining up to move to Canada... unlike Canadians who would never move down here, right?

Posted by: joek443 | February 27, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I thought this was Capitals insider not Olympic Analysis. The trade deadline is coming up with the Capitals possibly making a move and nothing from the "Insider"..

Posted by: alanb1 | February 27, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

gee I wonder what is the ratio of Americans who move up to Canada every year compared to Canadians who move down here...

Posted by: joek443 | February 27, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Wendel, I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it is clear now that you are a tool.

Posted by: zmega | February 27, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, PVC wendel2 was assigned to 2nd Battalion, the Trolls.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 27, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

That was PFC, not PVC. And, since zmega has dubbed him a tool, and I mistakenly called him PVC, we'll assign him to the plumber's unit.

wendel2: Here comes the Sarge, the latrines are backed up, I think you'll need the plunger. And there's the lieutenant, he's angry. Ten-hut!

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 27, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

JoeK, do you give the Americans much of a chance tomorrow?

Posted by: zmega | February 27, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

hey zmegma where is the love? Coming to DC for a week and to see four Caps games...maybe we can get together at the game for a beer and get OV to take a picture with us?

Posted by: wendel2 | February 27, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

hey tomflint I am not suprised by your military references...probably were an rotc
graduate who served in nam too eh

Posted by: wendel2 | February 27, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@joek way more Canadians move to the states to do jobs that American cant do like run businesses and play hockey for the Caps....we dont need as many Americans to fill jobs like Walmart greeters and trailer park supervisors since our population is smaller and less in need of specific American skills that you display

Posted by: wendel2 | February 27, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I stand by my assessment.

Posted by: zmega | February 27, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@zmeema the Americans have a great chance tommorrow especially if Miller continues to play lights out....they have played great and earned a lot of respect in Canada for their play...

Posted by: wendel2 | February 27, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

@ wendel2

yeah you guys certainly do a great job running businesses like CTS Corp who sold millions of faulty gas pedals to Toyota... fine job indeed

Posted by: joek443 | February 27, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Wendel needs to shut the F up and move back to Canada.

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | February 27, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

hey joke CTS was started in 1896 in Chicago
by Americans who later designed the Corvair...and your point is? Toyota is not a Canadian owned or run company either or GM or Chrysler some other stellar US businesses

Hey dannyboydufus I am in Canada the internet isn't a American only item u moron
How is the connection speed in your trailer?
.........news flash.........
This just in!!! OV will take the pictures of the closing ceremonies with commentary by Mike Milbury JR and George Bush

Posted by: wendel2 | February 27, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

wendel2: I was never in the military. I did however watch "Combat!" all the time as a kid.

Seriously, what are you trying to accomplish? Your notes are completely troll-like, meant only to incite. What is the purpose?

I lived in Detroit, we knew Canadians, my daughter lives there now, it's a fine place with fine people. And I don't hold it against you that your country produced Crosby. We've got his type too, they were those smart-a$$y jocks in school.

The vast majority of posters and posts on this blog are civil. And here you are, it's like you walked into a church service just to take a fart and then giggle and run out. Sure, like any people in a place of worship, we have some blind faith. But you must too - in something.

Look, we have something in common - we love hockey. How bout we get together and make fun of basketball fans or something. Or baseball fans. a 3 1/2 hr game with like five minutes of action.

wendel2, I know there's hope for you. Can you give me a sign? (No, not the finger.)

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 27, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

the faulty pedals were made in CANADA

Posted by: joek443 | February 27, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I work for Toyota and it's their own stupidity that they went CHEAP and started using products made in second rate countries like Canada instead of sticking with Denso parts.

Posted by: joek443 | February 27, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

JoeK, I have done some work for Toyota, and Denso as well. I wish Mr. Toyoda well in turning things around. It seems to me that some in their management have used GM as a role model, which was an unfortunate choice. Even with their current problems, many of the vehicles are still top in their class for quality, and overall they are still among the best.

Posted by: zmega | February 27, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Milbury, I did not see him on the air yesterday. But then, I fell asleep after the 1st period of Canada's win.

Was he on and what did he say?

So Ovechkin is staying behind to carry the flag? He's a very patriotic young man and I imagine that must be a huge honor for him. Might take away some of that sting from the loss.

Am I wrong or is hockey the only sport in either Olympics to make such a fine transition from the professional league to the Games? Every other sport is either a professional sport or an Olympic sport. Basketball almost makes it but not quite, or maybe I just don't like basketball.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 27, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Jesus, guys, everyone here, Canadians and Americans, had ancestors and relatives fighting side by side in Normandy. Fighting and dying for each other to preserve our freedom so we could...snipe at each other?

The only reason I'm anti-Canadian in the Games is because Yzerman pulled that stunt on Mike Green. What idiot but Yzerman would leave off the world's best offensive defenseman in a squad of 8 d-men. Criminy, Green could've ridden the bench except for PP.

Anyway, it's a little deep in here bashing other countries due to brake parts. Isn't there an Autozone blog for that?

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 27, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1
I am a Canadian who lives in Canada and is a Cap fan.I will fly 4000 miles next week to visit family in DC and go to 4 Caps games. I have family that play for the Caps and I think OV is great but as a fan comment when he does something wrong like shoving the camera....I never used the word hate which is used so often by bloggers on this site...i get vilified because I state my opinion and thats fine by me....but hating Crosby or ignoring Ov's indescretions are not for me...i have met BB several times and he is awesome but I am allowed to second guess him and have talked hockey with him.....if people what to call me a troll because they dont what i say fine Don Cherry does it and thats great but he doesnt say he HATES people either he just hates what they have done and that is a key difference

Posted by: wendel2 | February 27, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@ zmega

I think it will probably get worse before it gets back to normal. I heard some news last week that some guy serving time for vehicle manslaughter is now claiming that he lost control of his 96 camry because of unintended accel. which resulted in the death of 3 people.

forget the fact that in 96 there was no electronic throttle linkage, it had a throttle cable which means there's no way the car can keep going unless you have your foot on the gas pedal.

Posted by: joek443 | February 27, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

High visibility recall situations tend to bring out all sorts claims, legitimate or not.

Posted by: zmega | February 27, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

wendel, well, I guess you can't say which Cap is your relative, it's a privacy thing, but it has me curious.

If you read what I wrote last night, I am giving Ovi the benefit of doubt on the camera thing. I would do the same if it were Crosby or any celebrity. When I have met celebrities, I have been extremely curteous as they are doing ME the favor. I would never think to shove a camera in anyone's face. I go to a CO beach so you can bet cameras in public are a BIG issue. There are laws and there is common curtesy. If I am walking along and anyone puts a camera in my face, close enough to reach, I will push it away. At the beach, anyone even caught taking surreptitious pictures, they are told to do the right thing and erase them.

You have to walk in someone's shoes (or their bare feet) sometimes to understand.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 27, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

4000 miles? You must be coming from the Yukon or something ("White Fang" by Jack London, great novel. I should really read it again.)

How did someone so far away, being Canadian, come to root for the Caps?

Oh, you have a relative. Now I'm going to try and guess. Fehr, Laich, BMo or ShaMo. Or maybe Erskine. BTW, you are lucky to have met BB like that, he seems like a really regular guy.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 27, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I enjoyed meeting Boudreau on several occasions. I couldn't go to his original book signing day but one day after a Caps practice I had him sign my copy of "Gabby" and he ended up personalizing his autograph for me.

He said he only include the stories fit for family consumption. (I forget his exact words but that was the implication.) And then my husband & I ended up at one of the black jack tables at Caps Casino night where Bruce was the "guest" dealer. We got a real kick out of him.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 27, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

We could have President Dumba** call them stupid like he called the police stupid.

Posted by: zcxnissan | February 27, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse