Posted at 10:07 AM ET, 01/11/2011

Capitals owner Ted Leonsis on the decisions to do HBO's '24/7'

By Lindsay Applebaum

We'll have much more later today on the live sports event featuring Washington's pro sports owners, but for now, here's Ted Leonsis talking about the exposure his Capitals got from being on HBO's "24/7" documentary series (courtesy of the neighboring Bog):

"We're in a league," he said. "And the thing about the league is sometimes you have to think of a collective. And hockey is desperate to build its audience and reach a bigger audience. And HBO came calling. We had to think long and hard about it, because there are things in sports that a fan doesn't see. I had never heard Bruce Boudreau curse. There's a new app that's being developed, it's pretty funny, I got to see it: you can take Biblical passages or Shakespeare, and put it through the Bruce Boudreau translator, and it comes out changed.
"We did [24/7] for the league. And I'm happy we did. It was very hard. They follow you everywhere, and HBO are fantastic story tellers, and I think it was epic television. And we all learned a lot, and it was great. And now we've probably set an expectation: if anybody else plays in the Winter Classic, they'll need to do it. I don't think I'd do it in the playoffs, though. I just don't think the pressure of always knowing that everything you're doing is being filmed, it's a tough way to live."

Dan Steinberg has some one-liners and other notes from the event. The video will be available online later.

By Lindsay Applebaum  | January 11, 2011; 10:07 AM ET
Categories:  Ted Leonsis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals' goalies 'learning how to respond' during first full NHL seasons
Next: Capitals' Alex Ovechkin, Mike Green named to NHL All-Star Game roster

Comments

"and HBO are fantastic story tellers..."

Didn't we have a discussion last week about this weird singular/plural thing? Is Ted making himself British?

Look, I grew up in Baltimore. Sorry.

HBO IS a fantastic story teller.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 11, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Someone give up the link to that app!

Posted by: sandyflee | January 11, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Pens lost last night to BOS! We need a few more wins to help gather more momentum. Plus a few goals over this stretch from Backie, Ovie, and Semin would be a huge plus.

Let's see how it plays out.

Posted by: Devo2 | January 11, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@tom -As minor as that may seem, it annoys me too.

Aren't they done talking about 24/7? I think I've had enough. Has it reached Brett Favre status yet?

Posted by: jwash4472 | January 11, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I NEED that app STAT!!

Posted by: j3rockstar | January 11, 2011 11:16 AM | Report abuse

In the next installment of Star Trek, Kirk and Spock attempt to communicate with aliens using the Bruce Boudreau Translator.

Spock: "Captain, did the alien really just say that about your mother?"

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 11, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I loved it and it really shows how incredibly hard the team works, how un-glamouous it is- how they are so tightly bonded. It's one of the best sports specials I have seen. I just regret it was only a few episodes.

Posted by: poppysue85 | January 11, 2011 12:13 PM | Report abuse

People from B-more should not hate HBO, they should hate Patterson Park...now go clean it up.

Posted by: sdtxyz | January 11, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Bmore is my home town also . Only thing I ever got there was Herpies and a Wire lol

Now Lets Rock the Red 3-0 this week boys lets see whatca been holding back !

New carrollton,Md