Posted at 1:27 PM ET, 12/15/2010

Leonsis: Caps 'working hard; staying together; and trying to get healthy'

By Katie Carrera

Earlier this afternoon on his blog, Ted's Take, Capitals owner Ted Leonsis said that the Capitals are "working hard; staying together; and trying to get healthy" while remaining positive about breaking their six-game losing streak.

He also thanked fans who have sent emails with opinions regarding the team's current struggles and possible options for change for calmly expressing their discontent and questions about the team.

Here's an excerpt from the post:

I saw Alex Ovechkin last night at the Wizards game. He was with his dad. He was upbeat, calm and quite focused and serious. He is the leader and captain of the team. I am hopeful the players take their cue from their captain.
I would like to thank so many fans for their words of advice and wisdom and support during the last 48 hours or so. Even the fans that have strong opinions regarding change have been straightforward, honest and not cursing in email. Thank you again.

Head here to check out the full entry, where Leonsis has included some of the questions and comments sent to him in recent days.

By Katie Carrera  | December 15, 2010; 1:27 PM ET
Categories:  Ted Leonsis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: HBO's '24/7' catches Caps at a low point
Next: Tonight's lineup: Ducks at Caps

Comments

Broken record from Ted.

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"calmly expressing their discontent and questions about the team."

well that excludes just about all of the posters on here :)

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Some of the emails he mentioned were ridiculous, on the level of...Ted: we love you and the Caps. We will buy anything you put up for sale in the pro shop. We're worried about the losing streak, but in our hearts know that you and all your staff are working hard to fix things, just like when you got rid of the rat turds in the hot dogs! Thanks for everything, I'm an idiot! Geez, I'd have rather he said "no comment".

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 15, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I remember trying to post a comment to Ted's Blog after the first round exit last year that mysteriously never appeared. It was a carefully thought out and crafted comment with nary a curse in it too.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 15, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Anyway, the beatings will continue until morale improves.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 15, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Ted to Caps Fans:

I want your money and will tell you anything you want to hear inorder for you to give it all to me ....... so ..... what do you want me to tell you today.

Just wondering how long before the Wiz fans start to hear the recordings too

Posted by: bqts | December 15, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow, all y'all are a buncha cynics.

Posted by: irockthered | December 15, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Ted to Caps Fans:

Just wondering how long before the Wiz fans start to hear the recordings too

Posted by: bqts |

Ted was the first owner to come out and really be honest with fans...we r trading away pur stars and rebuilding, we will suck for a while...please stick with us.

That is one gutsy move that few have emulated. Be mad, but the fact that some of you can't give any credit to ANYONE involved with the caps tells me how childish you are!

I mean I hate Hitler, but I can admit he was nice to his dogs!

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I was just thinking...things are pretty crappy right now...but at least we're not the Devils!

Think on that!

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I mean I hate Hitler, but I can admit he was nice to his dogs!

Posted by: capscoach

I heard he took over his mom's cancer treatment and forced the doctor to use a barbaric method to cure her breast cancer. Involved the use of acid.

Read the last thread btw, you're outta line with one of your comments...

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

at least we're not the devils huh? that thought should keep my chestnuts warm this winter.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@ capscoach

I will give lots of credit to him and I agree with you on his honesty, not in question PRIOR to Abe passing. From that point his focus changed, step back and look at it. It has been so much PR spin .... punch list ..... building america's hockey capital ...... I want a winter classic .... in the past 9 months all that has come from the top is making sure they get our dollar.

The prime example of this was and is the fact the made Ovie the "C". It was about selling jeserys not making the right choice for a leader.

As for me being childish ........ yeah I am, if having hopes and dreams of the cup in DC then I am a child

Posted by: bqts | December 15, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one terrified of tonight’s game? I only wish for 3 goals for the Caps and no more than 4 for the Ducks. Oh, also that the Ameritel owner realize that his kids are not cute anymore.

Posted by: guer_j | December 15, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

It sounds somewhat like a thank you for condolences after a death in the family.

Posted by: tw46 | December 15, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

What owner doesnt want the people's money??? Every owner is driven by that. The good one's are driven by the combination of money and the desire to win.

Posted by: ThePat | December 15, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@ ThePat

Point taken

Posted by: bqts | December 15, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

The winning begets more money plus the goodwill of the local populace.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 15, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one terrified of tonight’s game?
------------

I'm guessing GM and BB would in your boat as well.

I'm lookin fwd to it. You know when there's this level of scrutiny on the team, at the very least you're gonna get a rare good effort. Hopefully across the board. And when you add in guys like Beags and AGordo, it can only help the overall team work ethic.

I wish every game the Caps played had this degree of scrutiny and intensity potential. Their biggest enemy is complacency and he seems to be a frequent visitor.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Ted's a philanthropic person, maybe not like Bill Gates & Warren Buffet, but in his own way. He deserves credit for that.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 15, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

on a psychological level - i find it amazing that so many keep coming back for more disappointment/frustration/heartbreak

i've felt all of these things being a fan of the caps - but life is too short - i just can't carry it around for more than a few hours

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 15, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@ FloridaCapsFan & capscoach

I get it and have never questioned any of your points but you miss what I am saying

Ted lost his focus/direction, call it what ever you want when Abe died.

IMO thats all nothing more

Posted by: bqts | December 15, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Lets sign Brian Rolston off of waivers. he's old ,I mean a veteran then lets get Glen Hanlon to coach this team he's a great defensive coach..if they keep this losing streak going hopefully they can shake all these bandwagon fans off and give them time to go watch their other favorite teams like the Lakers or Heat and the Steelers or Patiots and the Yankees.

Posted by: heathdog1119 | December 15, 2010 10:31 AM

@heathdog1119:

Never heard of the "Patiots" before...what league do they play in? Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

On a more serious note:

If does indeed turn out that BB must go, I really, really don't think Glen Hanlon is the answer. Frankly, if I were going to bring back any past Caps Coach (ignoring his current real-life commitments), it would be Ron Wilson. He got a team all the way to the SC final without the offensive firepower that the current team has.

And before y'all flame me or call me an idiot (I'm talking to you, cstanton1) for saying that, keep in mind that Bondra is one of my favorite all-time Caps; I just about wept when he was dealt to Ottawa in the Great Fire Sale of 2004.

But as far as big-time goal scoring was concerned, we had Bondra with 52 regular season goals, and Oates with 58 RS helpers, and...well, that was really just about it--no one else on the team was even close. No one but Bonzai even broke the 20-goal plateau and only 5 other players even made it to/past the 10-goal mark that year.

Again: Ron Wilson made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Final with only ONE (1) player scoring over 20 goals and only 5 others scoring 10 or more through 82 games!!!.

Say what you will about grit, defense, team toughness, etc.--I won't dispute whether or not these things matter: I agree that they do. But the last time I checked, you have to score more goals than the opposition to win a hockey game, so leading such an offensively-challenged group (by today's standards) as far as Wilson did in 1998-99 was indeed remarkable.

Yes, I, too am in a foul humor over this losing skid. But to read some of the posts here, you'd think that the Caps were doomed to never score another goal or win another game. Forever. PUH-LEEEZE!!!.

Let's be honest when it comes to the current roster: while the goals haven't been coming of late, believe me: they will come again!

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 15, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking this is a big game tonight. After all the scrutiny (here, plus the article about teams using the Habs play), if we lose tonight playing horribly, the rest of the week could be pretty interesting.

On a side note, got my Winter Classic tix. Is everyone in the same section? 118 here.

Don't post often, but read daily. Welcome back cstanton1, I look forward to your take on things. Makes me think about things in a way i wouldn't have thought before.

Posted by: OviFan08 | December 15, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

but life is too short - i just can't carry it around for more than a few hours

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

obviously you lack the commitment to pure despair that the rest of us do. Work on that.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I find it interesting that the losing streak occurred right after Flash was traded(the Caps won the St. Louis game, but from then on out).

Then the Caps play became significantly worse once Schulz got injured and was unable to play.

It very well could be a coincidence, and there are always many factors that play into the outcome of games(i.e. Green missing a few games, and pick whatever you want for having an influence).

But if the Caps would have went on a similar losing streak after Erskine, Hendricks, or whomever departed for a reason(injury, trade, demotion, etc.), I think there would be many posters pointing to the lack of that person as the reason for losing. But I haven't seen anyone even mention that losing Flash may have had a negative effect on the team.

I'm not saying losing Flash is the cause, but the timing of the results are enough to at least think about the effect of losing Flash had on the team. Maybe it was a coincidence, but maybe Flash did more for the Caps than people realized.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 15, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE.....Flash stinks!!! If this team is that fragile, they are in heaps of trouble.

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 2:39 PM

i'll get on that - right after i can resolve my issues over losing 'flash'
hahahaha

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 15, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doughless

Maybe, but he does have 2G and 5A in his 6 games in Colorado and his team is on a 3 game winning streak.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 15, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

No one points to the Flash trade, because they have been playing poorly for about 15 games. The exception being that game against TB right after Thanksgiving when they played up to the level they are capable.

Posted by: ThePat | December 15, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

Maybe, but they were winning. Ideally you want to play great and win. But if you are not playing well, you want to play at least good enough to win(which they did before Flash left).

Now the Caps play has appeared to drop to a much lower level than before the Flash trade as they are playing poor and getting smashed. So they are playing much worse than they were when they were not playing so well.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 15, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rhino40

Ditto!!!!!!!!

You just can not say it better.

Thanks, Rhino.

Posted by: goldenpack | December 15, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

ThePat: Yes, the game they had Ovi on RW.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 15, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

their record in the last 13 games is 4-9. Before Flash got traded their were to 5-0 shutouts against us. So sorry I dont agree with you.

Flash is playing well for Colorado right now in part because he is playing LW. Which is what he needs to be successful. He knew he wasnt a C and his play got worse bc he came to that realization here. A fresh start has done him good.

Posted by: ThePat | December 15, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

sgm3 - I agree with your point. Flash seemed to be a scapegoat for many this season. Many chimed in for the stereotypical D-man. Funny how it has turned out so far. No wins here, but Flash is racking up the points fairly well in Colorado. I am sure that we will soon be out of this funk, Hannah will prove valuable, the offense will start firing on all cylinders and the deal will look like a good one. One further note on Flash - with all of the line combos we see BB try, it might have been fun to see Flash skate on the top line in place of Semin for a stint. I think his skill-set would have been a nice compliment up there and with Semin on the other top line, the goal scoring wealth would have still been intact.

Posted by: gonchpup | December 15, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Man, you all lead me to drink.

And for that, I thank you. =)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 15, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I read the Brooks Laich article in ESPN and wow this guy is such a team player: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/2558/brooks-laich-caps-coaches-a-dream-team

I wish he were captain, not OV. OV is an awesome superstar, but that is not necessarily the making of a responsible team captain.

As for tonight, I hope the Caps put together a solid team effort. If not, another nail in BigBaby's coffin.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | December 15, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

One other thing, the way Atlanta is playing defense first, gritty, hard-working style, they will overtake the Caps for first in the Southeast, UNLESS the Caps learn to play tough-nosed, smashmouth, playoff style hockey. The flu be damned, this team plays pond hockey when they encounter adversity. Buckle-down and play a defense first system. If BigBaby won't install such a system and discipline his players to play it, then find a coach who will.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | December 15, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"their record in the last 13 games is 4-9."

Absolutely, but it was 4-3 until the Flash trade. Not very good, but much better than it is now.

I'm with gonchpup, I expect things to turn around and be fine and I was, and am, fine with the trade the Caps made. However, you can't just completely disregard the play of the two teams after the trade was made and say the trade had no impact in how the teams have played. If the opposite happened you would probably be screaming how the Caps going 6-0 was proof of how bad of an impact Flash had on the Caps.

How much impact? Well, that is usually pretty tough to figure out.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 15, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I just wish Brooks Laich would start to produce. If this guy didn't have his personality and articles like this written about him, then maybe people would actually realize his inconsistency. He's on the same level as guys as Fleishman or Fehr when it comes to disappearing for weeks at a time.

Posted by: chrisclarksucks | December 15, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

and what comment was out of line oh dearest one?

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@chrisclarksucks

I think the difference you have between Laich and Flash or Fehr, is that Laich plays with heart. Even if he's not getting the results in goals/assists, he's fighting in the corners and trying to win pucks.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | December 15, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

No I wouldnt because I didnt think that trade would have an immediate impact on the team. A lot more than the trade has happened as well. No Green, no Schultz, kind of makes a big difference.

I've also been in the camp that the team needed a 2C much more than it needed a D. And I still think that, MP is no answer. The team will start to win games again but to be truly competitive over a 7 game series they need a 2C desperately.

Posted by: ThePat | December 15, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrisclarksucks

Agree. I like Laich, but I think he is very overrated as a player. It's not that he is bad or anything(I think he is a very good 3rd line player, and an average 2nd liner) but he is overrated.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 15, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

There's a lot of things that I question about this team, but Ted's commitment to winning a cup is not one of them.

We have a very good example of an owner in this town who only cares about money above all else, including fan experience and winning championships. Ted is nothing like this this owner.

I don't think Ted is beholden to GMGM or BB, If he determines that one or both of these people cannot get us there, he will have no problem getting rid of them. He might take longer to come to this realization than I personally will like, but I have no doubts it's something he will do if he has to.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

If you think Laich is a "very good 3rd line player, and an average 2nd liner" then how is he overrated. I think most people would describe him exactly the same way.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | December 15, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@SGM - I'm not mentioning the Flash trade as a reason for the slump because there isn't just 1 reason. For the very small part that the trade contributes, I would say most of it is Hannan getting used to BB's system while everybody is playing like pooh. So ya got a guy trying to learn a new system and he gets confused because others aren't doing their part and on and on. I'm not that surprised either that he's gotten off to a good start. Remember he's in his contract yr and he's trying to impress his new coach so he can get more playing time, so he can get more points, so he can sign a bigger contract in the off season blah blah blah. I'll bet that he'll come down to earth a bit and be a solid player for the Avs but he's not gonna keep this pace for the remainder of the season.

There are several things that all went down at the same time. The trade, JS getting hurt (can't believe I'm thinking JS missing could be part of the problem), several players getting sick, rookies playing because they have to not because they've earned it so to say, MG getting hurt etc etc etc. To me it looks like BB lost the team but who knows maybe it is the flu & injuries? The good thing about that is it won't take long to figure out if that is the big reason. If we get all the regulars back and we still can't hit the ocean from the beach then it narrows the problem down a lil more don't ya think?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | December 15, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I disagree so much about Laich as overrated. The guy has heart and that is a quality a captain must have. He is also a leader, which is clear from his remarks. OV is a kid, who is not that responsible in his play and he does not seem like a team leader. He is a once in a lifetime hockey superstar, but a team leader, meh. Laich really has to earn his goals and would have more goals on a second line with a good center. As it is, he is best suited as a shut-down, 2 way winger. I just wish the Caps would form a legit 3rd line, not an almost 2nd line.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | December 15, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@sgm - and that's just in the last 2 weeks. I'm not pretending there weren't problems before that. We've had problems scoring ever since game 5 last yr in the playoffs.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | December 15, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"I disagree so much about Laich as overrated. The guy has heart and that is a quality a captain must have. He is also a leader, which is clear from his remarks. "

---

This statement used to be accurate, but Brooksie is a different player these days, it's weird.

Alex, on the other hand, is getting into fights with the Rags trying to get his team fired up down 4-0, to the extent of signaling to the bench "Come on Guys, Wake up." His team responds by pouting and giving up a shortie.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

@VTDuffman

Now, we don't see what he's doing in the locker room, that's a given, but it just doesn't seem like OV is "C" quality. I'm not saying that as a knock against OV, I think he's an amazing player and I couldn't imagine the Caps without him, but I think giving him the "C" was a mistake.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | December 15, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VarlyisNarly

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that many Caps fans considered Laich a good to very good 2nd line player(hence the projection of a $3.6M/yr salary many people had him at).

Posted by: sgm3 | December 15, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

I agree 100% about the need for a legit 2C. I mean, if there is one thing that might explain why all the wingers are slumping, maybe it's the constant line shuffling because the Caps are trying to find a capable 2C. I know it's a chicken or the egg type proposition, but I think the stability with the lines played a big part in the 14 game winning streak last season.

Posted by: cainoo7x | December 15, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Hey, maybe you're right about that. I'm not sure what everyone thinks about Brooksie, but I do think he is a vital part of this team whether it be on the 2nd or even on the 3rd line.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | December 15, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"I think it's too little too late for OV as the captain when you're talking about his scrap last week. Why does it take until the 6th straight loss for him to try to fire up his team?

I also disagree about Brooksie. He's a stand up guy that works his ass off every shift on both ends of the ice, and he is a role model off the ice as well. I think he's the appropriate guy for the job."

---

We'll have to agree to disagree, then.

IMHO, Alex is one of the few people on the team who obviously care, work their butt off every game, and have in this slump. There is not one time during the skid I have questioned his commitment or effort.

I can't say the same for most players on this team, Laich included. At some point he started reading his own press clippings and became a wishy-washy, headcase softie like the rest of the team.

I would have agreed with you on Laich this time last year. He's a different player this year, though.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Kono and Halpern spent time on the 3rd line as a shut-down unit -- both deserved a C in my book. Laich should be the leader of a shut-down 3rd line and the team captain. Hunter was at his best as a 3rd line center and as a captain. OV is a tremendous player, but a C -- not so much.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | December 15, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

GO DUCKS, get BB and GMGM fired! Your right Flash must have been the key to the Caps success. He was so important he was often a healthy scratch. I guess his cheering from the press box was the key. Hannan must be the worst d-man ever (based on the last 6 games). Based on 6 games, Flash is a 27G-68A-95Pt guy, yea right. I knew that Satan played in the NHL but, where does this dude Hilter play? If he is a 2C, is he available in a trade? Please let's keep the blog on hockey or at least sports references.

Posted by: chriscaps | December 15, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208 |

@pokerface1201

I completely agree with you that there are many factors that play into the losing streak.

I was only pointing out that the Flash trade coincided with the losing streak and because of the timing of both it has to be seriously considered if the trade had a negative effect on the team.

If the results went the comlete opposite way, and all the negative factors you said didn't happen, and lets say the Caps went 6-0. Many posters on here would cite Flash's absence as the reason for the Caps success. However, they would ignore the absence of all the negative factors you cited.

I'm not saying the Flash trade is the cause or the root of the problem, but judging by the results right now I think it has to be considered that the trade may have had negative effect as of now instead of a positive one.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 15, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

lessons we can learn from Hunter the Punter Smith
Smith said. "And we all know that even if the truth is hard or hurts, it's better to tell the truth. So I didn't do it for personal reasons at all. It's a moral responsibility.

exhibit A: Boudreau's self-denial

Opponents "can look at individuals and say, 'This is his tendency or that tendency and we can stop him,' " Boudreau said Tuesday. But he said the real problem facing his team is one of bad luck. "Right now we are snakebit," he said, citing the three goalposts hit by the Capitals on one shift during the Rangers game Sunday night.

exhibit B: a little closer to the truth

Green said. "It takes time. We're adjusting and evolving into what we feel is going to make us better for the playoffs. . . . We have been together for so long, we have played a certain way for so long and it's time for us to change, but it's not going to happen overnight.

exhibit C: and the "snakebitten" excuse gets tossed right out the window.

forward Matt Bradley said.

"But no matter what system we play, we can't turn the puck over like we have been, you can't take long shifts, play as an individual rather than the group. We have to get back to playing solid all the way through and not making those kinds of mistakes."

So folks...its obvious Boudreau does not think there is any type of systemic or philosophical change that needs to occur. Is he lying? or just in denial? It matters not, since he's just plain wrong. For my money, he's lying to himself at least. And therefore not living up to his moral responsibilities.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chriscaps

It was just an example to make a point....relax. Last I checked you did not head up the CI blog police.

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh, also that the Ameritel owner realize that his kids are not cute anymore.

Posted by: guer_j | December 15, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

now that's FUNNY!!

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 15, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------

ah yes. That's what this team needed all along. To hold onto yet another finesse player who faded when the going got tough.
Only GM, BB, and a certain fan would think the answer to this team's woes is adding a one-dimensional skill player to the lineup. case in point, the trade for Mr Corvo. The 'top target' in last yr's deadline shuffle!

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 4:15 PM

hockey has moral responsibilities?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 15, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I was just appointed to the head of the CI blog police. I'm just not sure if the new Congress will confirm me!
I really think we have BB on the ropes. Just a few more loses and he's out. I just don't think BB the NHL coach that will take the Caps to the Cup.

Posted by: chriscaps | December 15, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

BB really made the "snakebit" comment?

We were down 4-0 already and hit like three posts back-to-back-to-back on same shift. Best that would do for you is 4-1.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 15, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | December 15, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back I think. Anyway, the losing skid started right after BB declared Erskine a lame-duck. The message sent to the team was hard-work, unfailing dedication, and perseverence mean nothing to the team. Knowing their spots and playing time were secure, the golden/chosen ones responded in kind

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 15, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

BB really made the "snakebit" comment?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 15, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------
I guess we aren't snakebit if we ruin the shutout?????? Ah ha grasshoppa!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | December 15, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Boudreau's latest favorite bird call is that of the fat-bellied nitwit.

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

CAW CAW!!!!

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

@Tom - with us being in a 6 game slide I'm sure you have something really good lined up for tonight in the adult beverage section! What kind of drink would bring us luck in a sea of red so we can break this losing streak? I'd like to share this said drink in the hopes that it gets us off the schnide!

Side note: I'd still like to be conscious after the game. :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | December 15, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps |

Erskine has played in almost every game this year. I do not think he was ever labeled a lame duck. He has had an opportunity to be on the ice a lot more with Schulz and then Green being out. So far, the team results have not been good(I'm not blaming the team results on Erskine, but the results are what they are).

In regards to Flash, people can take the results however they want them, but the Caps record, as of now, with Flash is signifcantly better than without. It is a small sample size and is likely to change, but as of now, it is what is.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 15, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I think it's telling that Colorado has managed to successfully integrate a soft, finesse player into their system in such a short time. It's still early, but what does that say about the Caps? Maybe the Avs have a Captain who is on ice for every optional skate ;-)

Posted by: ablake70 | December 15, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

sorry, but this whole thread on Flash trade being the reason for the losing streak is beyond ridiculous. anybody here could make a silly claim about Green changing his stick being the cause and they could be right. sgm3, definitely doesn't have anything to do with team flu, OV being ice cold, Semin being ice cold, BB's crappy coaching, etc, etc.,etc......

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

That Pierre Lebrun article is, um, interesting.

'Lay off the coach, Brooks Laich says.

The Washington Capitals forward was fired up in talking to ESPN.com'

Can we get someone to ask him why he wasn't fired up after his Captain fought in NY on Saturday night?

Posted by: Fletch22 | December 15, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

The team was winning some games and making do until the Hannan trade, at which point BB showed his true colors and demoted the closest thing we have to a "heart and soul" guy on the backline (a 4-year Cap and the only one overachieving, at that) in favor of someone who HAD YET TO PLAY A GAME for the team.

We managed to win an ugly game in St. Louis (w/our "toughest" lineup that we can assemble), and then came Dallas. ****55 not backing up Ovi after he stood up to Burish (for nearly ending Majo's career, our prized rookie no less) and had Ott pawing at him....instead of coming together as a team, the moment demonstrated that we IN FACT play as a group of individuals.

It's been a downward spiral ever since, and neither Flash or ****55's absence has anything to do with it or could've prevented it.

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 15, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

since our lineup will exclude a couple of players who aren't gritty with guys who are, combined with the heightened urgency of the situation, i expect a much better across-the-board effort in the coming games.

now when our guys get healthy and we go back to our regularly scheduled lineup, and the complacency sets back in, i expect the Caps to revert to their buttery soft play.

@capscoach - referring to your comment about how anyone (i.e fan) not employed by the nhl is automatically more clueless about how to improve the Caps compared to our esteemed and honorable GM and coach.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

read Katie's article today - all very good reasons we are losing. We are not surprising anyone this year and have to match other team's will; whom seem to get up to play us. Not Flash being traded. Everyone calm down - it's December - panic in April.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 15, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I do not think he was ever labeled a lame duck.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 15, 2010 4:40 PM

these are vermontcaps words - but he has the gist of it right.

from an entry on 12/2

In his game debut with the Capitals, Hannan will be paired with John Erskine. Boudreau also discussed how he envisions the defense shaking out in the event that all of Washington's defensemen are healthy at the same time -- something that is by no means a guarantee this year.

"It's tough because you think you've got [Jeff] Schultz and [Mike] Green together and [Karl] Alzner and [John] Carlson and it would be a natural fit for Poti and Hannan, but Erskine's played very well," Boudreau said. "It will probably be Poti and Hannan when all is set and good, but we don't know right now because every game somebody seems to be getting hurt."

@vermontcaps:
remember - you said you've got your word out about erskine and you're moving past that now.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 15, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

panic in April.

Posted by: lylewimbledon

April is too late, more like panic in Feburary or March. What is with this optimism? Where is the lyle of CHOKING DOGS!?

Posted by: LloydChristmas | December 15, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doughless

Yes, there are often more than one reason why things happen. But to just disregard the Flash trade as a possible cause of the slide is wrong.

Especially when it comes from people who would be posting that the trade was the cause of the Caps going 6-0 after the trade(if that happened) instead of anything to do with team being healthy, OV being on fire, Semin being on fire, BB's great coaching, etc, etc.,etc(if all of this happened).

Again, I am not saying the Flash trade is the main cause of the slide, but you cannot ignore the team record before the trade compared to the team record after the trade and not think it has had some effect and then call yourself unbiased. It would at least take a person to delve much deeper into the possible causes the Flash trade had. Maybe the results would be that the trade didn't haven't much signifcance. But to just dismiss the impact of the trade without truly evaluating it is wrong.

It is refusing to look at the results because the results are not supporting your previous held views on what would happen.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 15, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

pokerface: Problem is games start at 4 pm PST so by time I get home I watch on DVR. I would normally go red wine w/home game but mrstominsocal1 doesn't get home often to cook the dinner until 6:15 our time. This means often when I finally eat (watching DVR) the game is actually over.

I would say though cook a steak w/red wine is the best you can do for home game. Steak should be medium so you can see RED blood. Baked potato and peas has worked in past as sides. Plus it's my favorite meal anyway.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 15, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure I'll get laughed at for this, but it is 100% legit.

I was at the game in Chicago last year when Ovi nailed Campbell.

YES....an adult wearing a capitals jersey.

Inbetween 2nd and 3rd periods, I was in line at the urinal next to Knuble's father-in-law. He mentioned then how confusing and how out of sync the guys thought BB's line-up shuffling was...always jugging the scratches.

That was at a time when they were cruising, leading the NHL. Nobody outside of the small number of people realized how even within the team..."something didnt feel right".

Now we've had the playoff collapse...and nothing from BB to win the players confidence or to suggest he's leading them to a "better" place as a hockey team.

The players are UTTERLY DONE with BB. They were rolling their eyes at him last March, as the top points team in all of hockey...what do you think they are doing now??????

Posted by: capitalsfan47802 | December 15, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

i don't see any tru evaluation on this silly Flash is why Caps are losing claim. end of convo.....CAW CAW!!

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fletch22

he was infected with the e_Poti virus?

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Caps defense in ****55’s absence (3 games and counting):

Erskine (3gp) 0g 0a 0pts even 12hits 3blks 6shots

Carlson (3gp) 0g 0a 0pts -3 0hits 4blks 3shots

Alzner (3gp) 0g 1a 1pt -3 6hits 4blks 7shots

Poti (3gp) 0g 0a 0pts -5 0hits 3blks 4shots

Hannan (3gp) 0g 0a 0pts -6 5hits 2blks 2shots

Fahey (2gp) 0g 0a 0pts even 1hit 1blk 2shots

Green (1gp) 0g 0a 0pts -1 7hits 3blks 4shots

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 15, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Erskine has plainly been the best D-man this season.

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------

I think you're onto something here... I always said that Flash was the glue that was holding this team together!!!

Posted by: joek443 | December 15, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

@Llyod
lol...Tis the season. I am reasonable...not going to panic over December games that really don't mean much. If this team cannot make the playoffs, then there are bigger issues at hand. But they will make the playoffs...those games matter. December games are entertainment, and upsetting that they are losing, but I have perspective.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 15, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

I'm sorry vermontcaps, I think you are really reaching for "events" that happened that you think have a huge impact on the team that are probably considered insignificant inside the lockeroom. Every once in a while an event like the one you stated may have a big effect. But most of the time those sort of things are irrelevant and have litle effect on the team.

It will be interesting to see 24/7 tonight as we should all get a closer view of what is actually going on inside the Caps lockeroom and how much plays like those impact the team for a long period of time.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 15, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

leave poti alone. he is not the problem. keep your focus on bb.

Posted by: pkme | December 15, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1

first off...I don't think (maybe i'm wrong) I said clueless.

2nd...I of COURSE was not reffering to you oh great leader!

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

off to the Phone Booth to hear the fat bellied nitwit....CAW CAW!

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

first off...I don't think (maybe i'm wrong) I said clueless.

2nd...I of COURSE was not reffering to you oh great leader!

Posted by: capscoach

well why didn't you just say so! You can be in charge of the women.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443

i think you're confusing him with something else that's sticky.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

i think you're confusing him with something else that's sticky.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 5:21 PM

an enigma reference - nice

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 15, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"these are vermontcaps words - but he has the gist of it right."

Its this type of accountability that makes capn kirk the unquestioned purveyor of truth on this here blog. Bravo.

now, do you think your irrational love for Flash is a genetic issue or are you a victim of your environment?

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

ANOTHER SIGN FROM THE HOCKEY GODS THAT THE TEAM IS DOOMED:

I'm going to the game in Boston this Sat. and I've been thinking of getting a jersery combining my two teams (I'm married to the Caps, but I see the Bruins on the side); I've got the logo designed, but haven't decided on a team name. Now, thanks to a vision, it's sadly all too clear: "CapRuins"

Caps fans, this is no slump...

BB MUST GO!!

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 15, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

just want to say, if BB does get fired and gets replaced with another typical McPhee coach, I reserve the right to keep ranting and raving.

I don't wanna hear "damn some of you caps fans are NEVER happy! you get your wish and you're still ranting!"

oh man, that will drive me absolutely into the nut house.

and ftr, i expect a good hardfought game tonight. I predict the Caps will land 28+ registered hits. Otherwise known as a normal night for some teams...

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 5:24 PM

i'm a fan of every player on the caps (except for when they had jagr) - i root for them all to do well - even though that doesn't happen all that often nowadays.
there is always another player that is better than what we have (except @ 1st line LW) but since i'm not Ted or GMGM, i'll root for whoever gets a jersey.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 15, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

argh your optimism in the face of blinding logic sickens me to my very core.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Vermont Caps.....

do you really not think this is a slump???

is this who we are????

Posted by: capitalsfan47802 | December 15, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

argh your optimism in the face of blinding logic sickens me to my very core.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 5:40 PM

optimism really isn't it.
i choose not to be angry or bitter over things that i do not control.
like your 'very core' - i'm not bothered by its 'sicking' because there is nothing i can do to change it.
i'm not into being an armchair gm - i don't have that level of knowledge - although i can see the many shortcomings of this team.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 15, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

You have a core?

I thought you were gaseous.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 15, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Do you guys know of a free live internet stream of HBO, i don't want to actually pay for HBO, but want to watch 24/7

Posted by: gringo184 | December 15, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Capt: It's not an "armchair GM" to say we lack a legit #2C for instance.

It's no different than watching baseball and saying, "The Yankees have better starters than us." Usually you can just look at the stats to see that.

To say right after the June draft, as some might, "We should have picked Smith instead of Jones," now that would be armchair GM. Or to say which coach to replace BB. To say though BB isn't getting it done is just plain being Capt Obvious.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 15, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

penalty on capt_kirk_in_az for improper use of "armchair GM"
no posting for 2 minutes

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 15, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | December 15, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

"Wow, all y'all are a buncha cynics."

I'm a 'realist' which is often confused by those who having no clue of the subject matter they are discussing...

How many coaches do you know that have lost playoff series after having them well in hand? Not only that, giving up commanding series leads and losing game 7(s) at home? Add in the teams he lost to
didn't have 1/2 the talent BB had at his disposal. See a pattern here or is it easier to drink that tasty, sugar filled beverage and call us cynics?

Posted by: FLDave | December 15, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

"I tell you what. Winning teams stay together. Losing teams don't," Laich said.

Really? Anyone remember last season's Stanley Cup winners? How many then-Blackhawks are still in Chicago?

Posted by: pirate1 | December 15, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

DISCLAIMER: THE BELOW POST IS NOT DIRECTED AT A SPECIFIC POSTER. PLEASE READ IT CAREFULLY AND COMPLETELY BEFORE RESPONDING...

I have taken some time to think about some of the posts I have seen lately, and I am sorry that it has taken me so long to say these things:

I have seen some people on this board actually say that they hope the losing skid continues, so as to speed the departure/firing of the Coach, the General Manager, or both.

You don't like GMGM or agree with anything he does? So be it.

You don't like BB? So be it.

I DON'T CARE how much you hate the Coach, the GM, or both of them. You voice support for your team no matter what, and--even more important--you always, always, ALWAYS root for your team to WIN, no matter what.

This at the very core of what it means to be a fan of your team.

There is a fine (but unmistakable) line between statements like:

"Drastic changes must be made to this team if it is to have success,"

and

"I hope the team loses more games so that it can be rid of a Player/Coach/General Manager I dislike."

I know that it is not mathematically possible for the Caps to win every single game--#311, I may even (on occasion) feel that they might deserve to lose a particular game. That said, I will never, ever, EVER root for them to lose.

As for anyone on this board who does root for the Caps to lose, I say unto them:

Shame on you. How dare you call yourself a fan of this team?!?!...and don't even try to justify it by saying things like:

"But I'm a Season Ticket Holder, which gives me the right..."

or

"I have been following this team since 1974, so I know what I'm talking about..."

or

"It's nothing personal: [insert name] is a nice guy but he needs to go..."

or

"some adversity is good for the team..."

Spare me. We all know that last statement is true. But every NHL team is going to lose some games anyway, without their supposed "fans" rooting for their defeat. I don't care about any qualifiers or weasel-words one might use: You never root for your team to lose. There is no excuse for it and you shouldn't do it. Not ever. Anyone who calls themselves a fan of this team and then roots for them to lose--even a single game--is worse than a troll.

BOTTOM LINE: Whether one's beverage of choice be KoolAid® or Goat's Blood™; whether they are a fan since 1974 or, shall we say, a more recent convert to the Faith; whether a long-time Full-Season Ticket Holder or a person who can barely afford to watch the games on TV, it matters not: Anyone who roots for the Washington Capitals to lose--EVER, should keep it to themselves or go to some other team's blog...because they surely don't belong here!

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 15, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Again I believe we have the players right now to skate around the ice kissing the Cup. I just don't think we have a commander qualified to lead them into battle. This commander is incapable of adjusting his strategy, convincing his troops to fight harder and finish off the enemy while they are beaten and retreating. If BB was a general he would have been busted down to a private or dishonorably discharged. Sure he won some meaningless skirmishes, but lost every war he commanded over. *FLDave*
-----------------------------------------
I 100% agree. Losing 3 of 4 game 7's at home isn't good either. We have the right troops but the leader needs to go.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | December 15, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Rhino40

You obviously don't see the bigger picture. I would rather see the team drop 20 games in a row if that's what it takes to make GMGM realize the team is lost under BB rahter than suffer through another post season under BB.

Shame on YOU for not seeing the bigger picture and only caring about winning useless games during the regular season. In additon buying into the fact that this team has magically transformed with the addition of Hannan (I would mention King, but he is never utilized). Take off the rose colored glasses, see the roster (not a team) for what it is. You can do it, I know you can AND still be a loyal fan to core of your soul!

Posted by: FLDave | December 15, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Free Samples are offered for a limited time so when they are posted please take advantage of the offer before it is gone. Look online for "123 Get Samples" where I was able to get healthy product samples.

Posted by: ninaramey16 | December 16, 2010 5:05 AM | Report abuse