NBA fines Ted Leonsis $100,000 for salary cap comments

Caps and Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has been fined $100,000 by the NBA for his comments about potential changes to the league's salary cap, which he said he expected to soon become like the NHL's hard cap structure. From the Wizards Insider:

At a breakfast with local business leaders at George Mason University on Wednesday, Leonsis said that he expects the NBA to soon have a salary cap structure similar to the NHL, according to an AP report.
"In a salary cap era -- and soon a hard salary cap in the NBA like it's in the NHL -- if everyone can pay the same amount to the same amount of players, its the small nuanced differences that matter," said Leonsis, who also owns the NHL's Capitals.
The comments come at a sensitive time, with the next NBA collective bargaining agreement set to expire on June 30, 2011 and the threat of a lockout looming over this season. The NBA and the players' union had what they called a "cordial and constructive" three-hour meeting last week, hoping to avoid a work stoppage.

This isn't the first time Leonsis has spoken publicly about his desire for the NBA to move to the NHL's model, as Michael Lee notes over at Wizards Insider. In May, Leonsis said the NHL was "stronger than the NBA, clearly because it has a CBA in place that protect owners from taking stupid pills."

By Lindsay Applebaum  | September 29, 2010; 8:16 PM ET
Categories:  Ted Leonsis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's lineup: Caps at Bruins
Next: Capitals 4, Bruins 1

Comments

i couldn't care less as long as it doesn't have any bearing on how he spends money on caps hockey

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 29, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 29, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the NBA Ted.

Great follow through by AGord. 3-0 Caps.

Posted by: Justafan | September 29, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

CI's an NBA post? Pass it through to Bullet STH - not Caps.

Posted by: cougcap | September 29, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

What is up with the Hendricks Campbell fight in first period. Retribution from Ovie boarding last night? Did Hendricks whoop him? Pray tell!

Posted by: AADCDERM | September 29, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

MJ backsrtom and fehr looks real good tonight i hope mj makes team

Posted by: patljr7 | September 29, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I think it's Matty P to start the season, and MJ to get some seasoning in Hershey.

Good to see a great PK effort on that 8 minutes in the 2nd.

Posted by: Justafan | September 29, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Final in Boston: Caps-4, Bruins-1

Posted by: JMinVA | September 29, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

@AADCDERM

It would not surprise me if Hendricks was giving retribution for Campbell's boarding of Ovi.

With all the incidents involving Campbell, it's no wonder I'm dubbing Ovi and Hendricks as honorary member of the MacDonald Clan (as they were the Scottish clan that opposed the Campbells.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 29, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Here's a message from Mark Cuban,

You've got a long way to go to catch me but you're off to a fine start Ted!!

Posted by: joek443 | September 29, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I missed the fight, but I hope that Campbell received that which he so richly deserved.

Posted by: zmega | September 29, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad somebody took it to Campbell, 'bout time. And, his dad's a jackass. Not his fault I realize, but a jackass he doth remain.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | September 29, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Not really caps news is it???? nooooooo.... Don't really care about the wizards

Posted by: rarcr | September 29, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Not really caps news is it???? nooooooo.... Don't really care about the wizards

Posted by: rarcr | September 29, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Matt Hendricks Sends a Message

on Japersrink.com

Posted by: MReilly9 | September 29, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I like that Boston a playoff team from last year playing most of their regulars got beat by only one of our top 7 scorers from last season and our AHL goalies.

I did notice Carlson still had at least one play I saw him out of the zone before the puck. It was even worse because it was on a PK. He was lucky that Backstrom was able to cover and keep them from getting a great chance from it.

There were two times early in the third including the one goal where Boston got at least 3 shots off from right in front of the net. Still have to work on that. Still a strong game for a team mostly made up of 3/4 liners and AHL players against a team mostly made up of NHL players from last years playoff team.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 29, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Get em Ted. Kill LeQuits dream of playing for a dynasty.

Posted by: Dirtbag59 | September 29, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't care how mamy goals Hendricks scores, I want him on the team over Flash. Caps led the NHL by how many goals last year? Take away the 20-30 by Flash and put back say 10 by Hendricks. I'd say the message Hendricks send is worth the difference.

Plus even easier to afford AGordon.

Cap space now if I remember counting Alzner bonus is like $3M. That's with full roster of 23. Put Hendricks for Flash and it's $5M. At some point you can get a really good D man with that money, especially if you move Erskine in that deal.

Just renewed NHL Network ($5/month for Sports Tier Package, so I don't keep it in the summer) and the have now Canucks/Sharks with BMo playing for Canucks on tryout contract. BMo is worth $700K or so if he can put up 40 pts like last year.

Kings, Sharks and Canucks could be teams I now watch a lot. They are in my time zone and all three are top-10 in hockey.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 29, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Who is the Doug Murray booster here? cstanton? Didn't look to good on that Canucks goal. Played neither man nor puck and very possibly blocked Nitti's view. I can't see Nitti giving up one through 5-hole so easily unless there was line-of-sight blockage.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 29, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Douglas Murray booster would be me.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | September 29, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Caps!! I mean Bullets

Posted by: jensilate | September 29, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

If Hendricks makes the opening roster, which he very well may, I think it will be in place of either Steckel or BGordon because I think a center (either MP, MJ, or Eakin) will make the roster and that AGordon will make the roster(his inability to go to the AHL without having to pass through waivers weighs significantly).

One thing to remember though, Steckel and BGordon both have 1-way contracts. Hendricks is a two-way deal. If the coach and GM think Hendricks is relatively equal to either of those two the Caps will likely send Hendricks down because it saves them money(a few hundred thousand dollars). Don't think that is insignificant when you are talking about the 23rd man on the roster.

Note: I'm not saying what should or should not be, just what I think will actually happen.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 29, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

sgm: Only problem is Hendricks would have to pass through waivers. I assume he's being paid near $500K. If you would really and truly rather have him on team than say Steckel (easy call at this point), who do you think is easier to get through waivers?

We're all worried as he!! that AGordo would get snatched. And we think Jimi would get snatched. But Jimi was there for every team and best he could do was tryout contract with Caps.

Doesn't this make it seem Steckel is way overpaid at $1.1M?

Bottom line: for a player to make more than min, he has to bring something to the table. Guys like Asham are making min or near min and they bring something. What does Steckel bring?

I like it. A guy runs Ovechkin. The next game, Hendricks fights him (I couldn't watch; apparently this is what happened) on first shift. Makes the other player think. OTOH, w/o Hendricks, we have to ask WWSD (what would Steckel do?).

Not a bracelet that inspires fear.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 30, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Hendricks quality play on the PK could help distinguish him though.

One thing to consider though. While Hendricks is playing very well this preseason, it is only the preseason. It sort of reminds me when fans of NFL teams get all excited about undrafted free agents during the preseason and talk about how great they are going to be, then those players do nothing wants the real season starts.

Remember, Hendricks was a free agent the entire season and all 30 teams passed on him. There had to be a reason for that. So while I do like how he is playing, I do have some concerns if he can do the same throughout the entire regular season. I mean, if he was such a sure thing you would think one of the 30 teams would've signed him at some point during the summer.

Hopefully teams just overlooked him and the Caps are getting a quality 4th liner and penalty killer.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 30, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Sweet. Ted Leonsis is awesome. Now if only he could buy the Nationals and turn that whole mess around. I bet he'd give the MLB a piece of his mind about a salary cap. Would be nice so a certain team can't buy their way to the postseason every single year. Yuck the Fankees.

Posted by: futbolclif | September 30, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

If the Caps send Steckel down and keep Hendricks then the Caps pay $1.6M overall. If the Caps keep Steckel up and send Hendricks down then the Caps spend about $1.2M overall. A pretty good sized difference.

I really think Hendricks will pass through waivers. If you are one of the 29 other teams, you are thinking "did Hendricks show us anything in those preseason games that we didn't already know of him?" My guess is probably no since it would be tough to put that much weight into 3 preseason games and not his regular season last year. If those teams didn't sign him to a contract earlier I would be surprised if Hendricks preseason output would cause another team to cut a player and claim Hendricks(I think if they claim him Hendricks has to be on the NHL roster for a minimum amount of time).

I am in no way saying that Hendricks will definitely not be picked up. It definitely could happen, but I would think it is more likely than not that Hendricks would pass through waivers without being claimed.

The difference with AGordon and Steckel is that other teams never had a chance to freely acquire either of those, so knowledge of other teams interest in them is lower. It wouldn't surprise me to see a team grab Steckel off of waivers. A decent team looking for a 4th line center with size. He does have good attributes and maybe another team will think they can bring back the 2009 playoffs Steckel.

AGordon, with his low salary, I think he is also a possiblity. A team like Edmonton, the Islanders, the Panthers or Thrashers, etc.(lesser salary teams looking for cheaper players) could be teams that may pick him up.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 30, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

New thread

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 30, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Just shows again how Teddy's bloated ego and big mouth get him and his teams in trouble.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 30, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse