The Day Before Deadline Day

Caps GM George McPhee will spend the next 36 hours in the "war room" at the club's office in downtown, working the phones, conferring with his scouts and ordering take-out. He confirmed yesterday that he'll make at least one deal. But that's all he would say.

When I pressed McPhee for more details, he smiled and jokingly offered me a seat at the conference table, saying, "You want to come?"

Unfortunately, none of us will be among the seven or eight guys in that room. But that doesn't mean we can't have fun discussing what they could, should and shouldn't do.

If you read my game story in this morning's Post, you already know that the leading candidates to be dealt are pending unrestricted free agents Dainius Zubrus, Richard Zednik and Jamie Heward. Zubrus and Zednik have discussed signing extensions with the Caps, but as of late yesterday, neither was close to doing so, fueling speculation that both may have played their final game in Washington. In fact, I was told that the Caps haven't even spoken to Zubrus's agent for "a few days."

That leaves precious little time to hammer out a deal to keep Zubrus. Even Zubrus said "it's a good possibility" that yesterday's 3-2 loss to the Devils was his last game as a member of the Caps. I've got less inside scoop on Zednik, but I plan to catch up with his agent this afternoon.

Heward is most likely going to be dealt. And unless there is a major (and unexpected) breakthrough in the contract talks between the Caps and Zubrus and Zednik, it sounds like they, too, are gonners.

Zubrus, obviously, will command the best return if he's dealt. But we're still talking about a high draft pick (perhaps a first-rounder) and maybe a mid-level NHL player or prospect. Zednik and Heward will probably fetch draft picks. I can see the Caps getting a third or fourth for Zednik, and a fourth of fifth for Heward, depending on how desperate the other club is.

During my conversation with McPhee, he cautioned against reading too much into defenseman Steve Eminger and forward Ben Clymer being scratched the past two weeks. He said it doesn't "necessarily" mean they are being shopped to other teams.

"We're putting the players on the ice who are playing their best hockey right now," McPhee said. "From time to time, people have to sit out."

Thoughts?

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 26, 2007; 9:04 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fleischmann Recalled
Next: Update on Zubrus and Zednik

Comments

Bye Zubrus! With the way first round picks are being tossed around this year GMGM should get us at least one more, or a decent roster player.

Tarik: What are Zubrus' demands? Do you think they are reasonable?

Posted by: Graham | February 26, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, what do you make of Semin being sat done for the final 10 minutes yesterday. Is he in the doghouse? Too much hogging, not enough passing? He made a wonderful goal in NJ on Saturday.

Posted by: kenhockey | February 26, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I feel as though I'm the only Caps fan who isn't happy that Zubrus might be traded. And let's hope that McPhee remembers that this year's draft class is, by and large, subpar.

Posted by: Shari | February 26, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Graham--Zubrus is looking for five years. The Caps are offering three. Money, as I understand it, is less of a sticking point than term. I'd offer three years at $11.5 million. that sounds about right to me,

Ken--yeah, Semin is in the doghouse. He's playing like it's pond-hockey out there, with no passing and little defense. Hanlon has wanted to bench him before, but it was hard to do when they were "contending" for a playoff spot. Now that they are out of it, it's much easier to sit him.

Posted by: Tarik | February 26, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I know Zubrus hasn't had the most productive season of his career, but losing him for draft picks isn't worth it. He's a leader, and trading someone like him for more youth is flat out stupid. I'm tired of hearing the "rebuilding" excuse. If they're going to trade these guys, get something decent for it. If they lose Zubrus and Zednik, we'd better see GMGM making some signings this offseason. Enough is enough. Start spending money, bring in at least one major free agent this summer, and I'm sure most fans will be content with losing Zubrus and/or Zednik, but if we lose them without doing anything this offseason, I'm going to question the management.

Posted by: Brendan | February 26, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

If the Caps don't acquire someone major in the offseason, is it safe to say that this rebuilding year accomplished NOTHING?

Posted by: James | February 26, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Three at $11.5M even after the Darcy Tucker deal? Seems high.

Posted by: TLGDC | February 26, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

yay. more picks and prospects. i'm so bored of this crap.

let's just dress ovechkin and the enitre hershey team and call it a day.

Posted by: jambow | February 26, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Semin should not have been benched. He is more talented than half the people on the Caps' roster combined!

Posted by: Upper | February 26, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Prospects and draft picks... Been there, done that. but I guess not all of us can learn from our mistakes. Imagine losing Zubrus for a prospect... What a joke! And this year's draft will be as insignificant as this team's improvement this season.

Posted by: Finn | February 26, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

While a good scorer, Semin seems to have a habit of going solo with the puck, and not always looking for the open man. His regular infractions don't help the team's efforts either. They bench the younger guys all the time for the same infractions Semin repeats regularly - and hopefully he'll begin to get the message.

He is a valuable player and has alot of talent, skill and speed. He just needs to understand the team concept a little better.

Posted by: jon | February 26, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"I know Zubrus hasn't had the most productive season of his career, but losing him for draft picks isn't worth it."

Where do people get stuff like this? With 19 games to go, Zubrus is three goals and two assists short of career highs in both categories. Actually, this IS the most productive season of his career.

If all they're doing is arguing over three or five years, just compromise on four, sign the damn deal, and get it over with. Trading him over a year or two for a first rounder in a subpar draft class plus a prospect is the height of stupidity. Mind you, this is the Caps we're talking about. Caps management has been an oxymoron for years now.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Get rid of Zubrus and Zednik. Caps couldn't make the playoffs with them in the first place and with no guarantees they'll sign this offseason why bother risking it? GM isn't stupid. Trade them. Plain and simple.

sidenote: If GM actually gave Zubrus 11.5 million over 3 years, he should be the one to go.

Posted by: Yuri | February 26, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Good scorers is what this team needs. Bench Semin, and who do you have scoring goals? You bench a 30+ goals a season scorer and play Beech or Gordon, or Sutherby or other Bears, with all due respect? What the hell is that? Then you trade your #1 center. Regardless of whether he would be a 3rd line center. He is #1 on this Caps team. Replace him with a prospect? Where is this 'rebuilding' headed? Oh yea, Semin doesn't play enough defence or pass the puck. If I were Semin and was playing on the 2nd or 3rd line I wouldn't pass it to anyone either! Because they will screw it up! Everyone else plays dump and chase but Semin and Ovechkin. If this is Hanlon's vision of hockey, then he should coach the Bears... Oh, wait, he already does!!! Now all other teams will have less to worry about. Play your best guys against Ovechkin and that's it! Because Semin is not there! Why bother covering Sutherbys', Gordon's and the likes... 99 times out of 100 they won't score! Do the Caps have this leverage to bench their 2nd best player? I guess there's something wrong with me then.

Posted by: Finn | February 26, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

If they want to sign Zubrus as a winger, I'd be ok with that. However, Zubrus is NOT a top line center!! Signing him to a 5 year deal and going on as we have is just another example of this club always settling.

The caps have one of the best players in the game right now - I feel like we went out and got a sports car and put cheap spare tires on it!! I hope management gets serious and thinks about this team as a whole package.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to know who McPhee thinks is going to be available this offseason at around $3.5M to replace Zubrus. Unless the plan is to go after a significant upgrade at center, I just don't see any logic in letting him go. (But given their unwillingness to get Chara this year I have a hard time believing that.)

Posted by: zamboni | February 26, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

dont worry shari i too am disgusted with the thought of trading zubrus. It seems as though everyone (management, media, fans) have spent the last two weeks or so trying to convince themselves that zubrus isnt as good or as valuable as he really is. unfortunately it looks like it may have worked.

Posted by: ovemin | February 26, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

He will not tell you the gory details.

Eminger will be gone within the next 27 hours. He's currently in a packaged deal that has been set on the table with Zubrus to a team in the Western Conference.

Posted by: GMGM is no fool | February 26, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,
I know this isn't related to this post but...we know so much about Ovechkin and what makes him tick (his upbringing, parents etc)but what about Semin? It's such a mystery. What kind of background and upbringing does he come from? I'd love to see an in depth analysis and interviews of people who really know him to see if it sheds light on his massive skills but un-teamlike qualities. Thanks.

Posted by: OnIce | February 26, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

signing zubrus to be ovechkins left right wing and bringing in brier or gomez is the way to go. that would allow you to have young backstrom with clark and semin next year. the owner made 2 huge errors in signing Jagr and hiring that idiot cassidy which put this team in a permanent hole. a team like the flyers and penguins will rebuild and be competetive long before the caps. look at the consistancy of the lightning. They signed their three top tier players. The Caps are a mess and are a side show in DC sports.

Posted by: agp | February 26, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

They can always trade Zubrus and resign him this summer. His comment that he may have played his last game as a Cap is just negotiation posturing. Based on the statement that he is still looking for a 5 year deal for around $4 million per year suggests he hasn't compromised, so why not trade him now and hopefully get a bonafide young scoring forward prospect who can consistently pass the puck and then seek to resign Zubrus in the summer - it's not like he is offering them a discount to sign him now.

Posted by: Monty | February 26, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Who, pray tell,is Semin supposed to pass to? The rest of the team took shooting lessons from Esa Tikkanen!! As for trading Zubris we're already 2 Centers short why not make it 3!?

Posted by: eric, baltimore | February 26, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

2 eric, baltimore
Your post and my post go hand in hand! Unfortunatelly, a lot of people just don't see it (don't want to see it?).

Posted by: Finn | February 26, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

So McPhee and Leonsis are prepared to let their number 3 scorer Zubrus go? If the last 3 years are any indication of whats to come, they wont be getting anyone decent in return. Also, benching Semin smells all too much like a trade is in the works for him as well. Draft picks alone are not going to make this team a contender, you need to be prepared to spend some money, which Leonsis is not going to do. He will, however, sell off the little talent that he has and hope for another Rookie of the Year that he can pay under the rookie salary cap. We need an owner that runs a hockey team, not one that runs the team like a business in receivership.

Posted by: Digitalman08 | February 26, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Even though it is not my money, I would not pay Zubrus the same money Heatley, Datsyuk, and Brindamore are making, no way! I would trade Zubrus for any one of those players and not give it a second thought. The only reason Zubrus is having a career year is because, OV has bounced 5 goals in off his fat butt. He should be a 2nd line wing some place where not so much is expected of him. First line center? He can't win faceoffs, can't pass, can't set up OV (half the time acts like he is alone on the ice)and can't score unless he has an open net (and doesn't always score then). Zubrus has been playing on a line all year where 3 defenders (some times 4) have covered OV and two players have covered the other 4 players, he should be in contention for the Art Ross. Trade him fast if someone wants him.

Posted by: Cheapseats Bob | February 26, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they benched Semin to prevent him from getting more goals than Ovechkin this season. If that happened, maybe they wouldn't get the nationally televised Crosby Penguins and Ovechkin Capitals games next year.

Posted by: Digitalman08 | February 26, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I would hate to see Zubie go, but I'm not sure he is gonna get a 5 year deal anywhere in the cap era. I think GMGM is rite not give-in. 3 years at 10.5 -11 mil seams good to me, maybe a club option for a fourth

I would bet trading Heward is more about helping him get his name on the cup b4 he retires and less about getting a return for him

Semin- The more I watch him play LIVE the less I like him. He's got a rocket snap shot, but I counted two dives and a slew foot on Sun, and that's not considering his "Pond Hockey" play as someone eloquently put it. I'm starting to see why he gets no respect on the ice; I fear it will only get worse for him as his rep as a "dirty" player spreads around the league. As a Hockey fan this is more disturbing to me than his laziness.

Posted by: LIVINIT | February 26, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Onice:

All I know about Semin's upbringing is that he was born in Krasnoyarsk. It's a Siberian city in Middle of Nowhere Oblast. Yes, Alexander Semin is from Asia, actually very close to the border with China.

Take a map of Russia, fold it the hot dog way, and Krasnoyarsk is about right where the crease is -- almost the dead center of Russia east-to-west, in southern Siberia. Fewer than a million people live there and it is/was a hub on the Trans-Siberian Railroad. It's an industrial city and is most famous for UFO sightings.

So all I really know about Semin is that he's from a small remote city way the hell in the middle of nowhere. He kind of acts like it sometimes.

Posted by: STVLTVS | February 26, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and it doesn't necessarily mean anything at all that his is a Russian family in Siberia, but it could be that he's from a line of prisoners or exiles. That would be pretty cool...

Posted by: STVLTVS | February 26, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Last week on a TSN broadcast of the Caps/Montreal game on the CenterIce packagen the analysts were talking about the Caps making a run for Pavel Datsyuk this summer (he will be a UFA). Backstrom and Datsyuk, not a bad 1-2 pair down the middle......Plus a Russain center can help Alex & Alex with thier "game" on and off the ice. GMGM should save $3.5 on Zubrus, and go get Datsyuk this summer.

Posted by: Genotype 55 | February 26, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

i agree with the other post. the biggest recent mistakes for this team have been created by the owner himself. the Jagr signing set this team back financially as ted is still paying for Jagr even while he is in a blue and red uni. Cassidy. the guy sketched out his notes on cocktail napkins. You see where cassidy is right now. running a zamboni in saskatchuwon. realistically, the management has demostrated no committment to long term success. they got lucky with the ovechkin draft.

Posted by: Thebigmistake | February 26, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Hi, Thebigmistake. Actually I'm not in Saskatchewan, but Ontario, where I'm guiding the Kingston Frontenacs to a pretty good season in the OHL, good for 6th of 10 in the East, or 13th of 20 in the whole league. I guess I'm pretty good at the junior level even if I was a miserable team-destroying failure piece of crap in the pros. In the end that was a good thing since I landed the team Ovechkin and finally shed off the old stagnant generation.

Posted by: Bruce Cassidy | February 26, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"Then you trade your #1 center. Regardless of whether he would be a 3rd line center. He is #1 on this Caps team. Replace him with a prospect? Where is this 'rebuilding' headed?"

Hopefully it's headed for an offseason full of interesting UFA's and the Caps well under the salary cap with money to spend. Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but if Zubrus' agent is going to be hard-nosed over all this then I don't see him re-signing in the offseason. Might as well get something for him. I'm sad to see him go, but I'm willing to give GMGM the benefit of the doubt on this one. If he doesn't sign a real 1st line center this summer to replace him though, then it'll be time to dust off the ol' torch and pitchfork and have a nice old fashioned castle storming.

I'll be happy to drive Zednik to whatever town takes him. Heward can ride in the trunk.

As for Semin, he needs an attitude re-adjustment because his sloppy penalties and selfish play are costing the team regardless of his goal scoring abilities. It's not like they need him for a playoff run anyway. Better now than later. It's been irking me for weeks... nice to see Hanlon feels the same way. Now if only he thought the same way that I do about that trap he plays...

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 26, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Cassidy was the biggest mistake - he completely distroyed all joy for the game for all the players. The inside scoop was that NO ONE liked the guy. The players found it very tough to play for him - Jagr included. (not excusing Jagr).

Datsyuk sounds great, i don't like to get my hopes up. Zubie just doesnt seem like the missing link right now.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, thanks for answering my question!

If they do trade Zubrus it will open the door for good free agent signings this summer. Then we can all judge how committed they are to producing a winning team. If the flyers do better than the caps next year something wil be horribly wrong.

As far as free agent signings go, I cannot stress this enough NO DATSYUK! The caps want to do some damage in the playoffs not fold in the first round. Genotype, go look up Datsyuk's playoff performance stats

Posted by: Graham | February 26, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Datsyuk and Ovechkin played together on a Championship winning team in Russia during the lockout. They understand each other. Maybe Datsyuk-Ovechkin is a winning combination.

Posted by: Finn | February 26, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Datsyuk may win champioships in Russia where he doesn't have to avoid the big hit... but where does his game go when the going gets tough? He disappears like Gonchar when the hits start rolling. I wouldn't want play like that to spread on this team. Keep him in detroit, the NHL version of the Braves

Posted by: Graham | February 26, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I am surprised that I think only one person acknowledged that we can trade Zubrus AND re-sign him over the summer.

He isn't a top line center, but a decent RW. Get someone like Datsyuk add Backstrom and sign a top pairing defensman/PP QB and we are a playoff team.

It makes sense to trade our impending FAs and then make a run at the (for the right price) over the summer.

And Hanlon was right to sit Semin. He needs an attitude adjustment.

Tarik did you hear that Clark said on the radio this morning (Elliot DC101)? He said that 90% of the team tries hard. Do you think that Clark's comment was a direct swipe at Semin?

Posted by: dtwilliamson | February 26, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Finally! Semin will be a VERY good player, but he needs to remember that there are other players on the ice. It doesn't matter what their skill level is; if the other team knows that you are just going to skate end to end, why cover someone else. Hopefully he learns his lesson fast, and doesn't pout and quit playing hard.

As for trades, all the caps are going to get are prospects. What playoff team is going to trade a player of any value to a team going nowhere for 2nd and 3rd line players? And we certainly don't need anymore draft picks in this talent-dry draft.

Posted by: Lee | February 26, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Datsyuk won a Championship in Russia when a bunch of NHLers were playing there during the lockout. Even Lecavalier and Richards were there and lost, Khabibulin, Osgood and a bunch of others.

Taking a swipe at Semin? What's weird is that 90% of the team tries hard but pond-hockey playing Semin with not much ice time still scores more that anyone else but his buddy Ovechkin. There goes the trying hard vs. talent comparison. That just tells you what Semin can do if he really is not trying his best. As for Clark and the other 90%... Well... You can try hard enough to substitute for talent.

Posted by: Finn | February 26, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I hate to see Zubrus leave, because I think that even a rebuilding team needs veteran perspective. Unfortunately, this situation is probably reality under the new cap system. The NHL is going to get like the NFL, where only a few key veteran players are considered worth the cost of re-signing, and the entire team makeup turns over every three years are so. Even if the Caps are ever ffectively "rebuilt," cap pressures will start tearing them apart as soon as they get there.

The other huge question in my mind is the difference between frugal and cheap. Long time Cap fans have had way too much experience with the latter. For most of the 80s and 90s, the Caps were always competitive but never good enough to challenge the league's elite. Usually the need seemed to be for one or two key players, but an outstanding GM couldn't overcome ownership's reluctance or inability to spend the necessary bucks to fill those holes. When Leonsis came in, we thought that problem was over, but the Jagr debacle and the subsequent "thrift" program have revived those doubts. We appreciate that it is important to spend wisely, does ownership understand that you only get what you pay for??

Posted by: hsn | February 26, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Playoff stats? When was the last time the Caps were in the playoffs? Let's just get there! And then start worrying about going deep. Jeez!

Posted by: DatsyukFan | February 26, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

What gives people the impression that GMGM has the ability to convince any free agent to join the Caps? Getting draft picks for players isn't going to help either because the Caps draft record to date has been terrible. Until the Caps make better use of their draft picks there is no way they are going to sell UFA on the hope that this team is improving and destined to be a contender.

Posted by: Hockey1919 | February 26, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Livinit: I couldnt agree with you more. I thought for a while that his shift-skipping problem was over and he was growing up. Instead, he takes bad penalties and plays passable hockey. I love his hard shot but he needs to be more of a team player and stop relying on just himself to win games. And, as Tarik proved, he speaks English. Why not talk to the reporters a little then? I pay a bunch of money to see him play, can he at least give Tarik a quote?

Posted by: LB | February 26, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

And speaking of Cassidy:

Five members of the Ontario Hockey League's Kingston Frontenacs, including head coach Bruce Cassidy, were suspended indefinitely Thursday by the league for their roles in a brawl with the Belleville Bulls.

Cassidy, defencemen Peter Stevens and Justin Wallingford and forwards Kyle Bochek and Bobby Bolt earned suspensions pending a league hearing Saturday. The five are ineligible for Kingston's game Friday night against the Owen Sound Attack.

The four players each picked up instigator penalties, fighting majors and automatic game misconducts with 51 seconds left in Belleville's 5-1 win over Kingston. The fights stemmed from an incident moments before, when Frontenacs rookie forward Nathan Moon charged into Bulls defenceman Matt Pelech, who then fought Moon.

No Bulls player has been suspended as a result of the brawl.

Posted by: LB | February 26, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

What happened to all the "here's what I would do" stuff i was expecting?!

Ok, here is what I would do: I'd tell Zubie that I want him on the team and that I like what he does. He may not be a prolific scorer, but he has gotten better, plays good defense and is physical and he has good leadership qualities and generally comes off as an intelligent guy. So, Zubie, We need to stack up a little. I'm going to trade you and get something, you get a chance to make a run at a cup, maybe talk a few other guys to come to the Caps, and then in the off season we'll work out a nice deal. You want 5, we're happy with 4 but frankly, you're worth 5 but there is not going to be a "no trade clause". Those are crap and handicap us too much. So, we'll trade you to a contender that is offering the most. Who knows, maybe you'll like the team so much you won't want to come back, but that will break Ovie's heart and we don't want that. Deal? Lets not say that to the press because then other teams may renegotiate if they think you might be only a rental. We're not going to Bondra you, Zubie, promise. THis will work for all of us.

Zed, baby, we'll send you to a contender as well. We're more than happy to get back together in the off season since you play your ass off when you're in the game. You can't score much this year but rather than be frustrated you let it all hang out. We like that. We're gonna get a pick for you. I know, picks are a gamble, but hey, so are you. Ha. Anyway, in the offseason we'll talk again because the guys like you and our right side is a little weak. Deal? Cool. Don't tell Tarik what we're up to. I don;t want a bunch of knowitall posters bugging me about it on his blog.

Heward, thank you. We're glad we gave you a shot, you're a class act. We hope you get a ring on your finger this year. You've fille din nicely and were never the embarassment that many fans expected you to be. We'll do our best to get you onto a team with good hope that needs reliable depth on the blueline. Again, you've come through in spades and we appreciate what you did with the little we have. Thanks for not making us look stupid. Thanks for being a stand up guy.

I'll take any job you wnat to give me GMGM.

; )

Posted by: Kerplunk | February 26, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

DatsyukFan, getting to the playoffs means nothing if your first line center disappears and gets your team swept. No thanks

Posted by: Graham | February 26, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"I don't know where the goals are going to come from. The team is trying very hard. Chris Clark said so. Ovie is the only we have left who can score. We're not flops, we're just working hard"

Posted by: Hanlon after benching Semin | February 26, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"So, Zubie, We need to stack up a little. I'm going to trade you and get something, you get a chance to make a run at a cup, maybe talk a few other guys to come to the Caps, and then in the off season we'll work out a nice deal....So, we'll trade you to a contender that is offering the most. ... Deal? Lets not say that to the press because then other teams may renegotiate if they think you might be only a rental."

I believe that would be considered TAMPERING, and is strictly prohibitted by the NHL. You cannot tell a player who no longer belongs on your club (or about to be traded) that you will sign him over the summer.

Posted by: SpendSomeMoney | February 26, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

2Graham
Just GET to the playoffs! Look at us! We're 14th, trading our only player who resembles something of a center on this AHL team, benching a 30+ goal scorer... How will we ever make the playoffs?!

Posted by: Finn | February 26, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Since were making a deals, can McPhee be thrown in - ugh. Not a fan of our GM.

Posted by: ugh | February 26, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Both are being dealt in a package deal to a western conference team.

Right now, GMGM is deciding which package he likes better and thats the end of that.

It's all up to GMGM pulling the trigger right now.

The teams are:
Vancouver
Minnesota

However, rumors are circulating that Anaheim and Montreal are looknig into Zubrus (not Eminger). If they offer a sweet enough deal for GMGM to reconsider the two offers on the table from Vancouver and Minnesota then he will pull the deal.

Best of luck.

Posted by: Last game for Zubrus and Eminger | February 26, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

TSN: Zubrus to Buffalo for a 1st and player