The Latest on Laing

Here's Coach Bruce Boudreau's reaction to Quintin Laing suffering a torn spleen:

"He said: 'Geez, my abs are hurting'," Boudreau said. "And [head athletic trainer Greg Smith] said: 'That's not your abs.' I have no idea if he's having surgery or not having surgery. But Smitty said it's a three- to four-month recovery period, at least."

Laing, who was playing in his first game with Washington this season, is in intensive care right now, Boudreau said.

"I feel sick about it because he's been waiting all year to get recalled," Boudreau added. "He loved it here. The fans in Washington loved the way he played. He gets in there and that line scores a goal for the first time in a long time. As soon as he blocked that shot, you said, 'Wow, he's back.' So it's a really tough break for him."

Boudreau said he did not know exactly how Laing was injured. He also said the team may not have to recall a player for Saturday's game if Donald Brashear is able to return from a sprained knee.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 20, 2009; 11:08 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Green Update
Next: Boudreau: 'I Don't Expect It to Happen Again'

Comments

the poor guy.

Posted by: jamebow | March 20, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

We love you Quintin!

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | March 20, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I've never heard of anyone tearing a spleen!

how the heck do you tear a spleen?

Posted by: FrankM73 | March 20, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

i know avery ruptured his spleen in the playoffs last year and he finished the game with it then collapsed afterwards

Posted by: _stevo | March 20, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Glad Smitty knew it was a more serious injury than Laing thought and he got the treatment he needed. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Posted by: cbs75 | March 20, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Intensive care :(

Our prayers with him, get well soon Laing.

Posted by: mauree | March 20, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

yes, best wishes to Laing and his family right now. How completely awful. I was looking forward tow atching him play when the Caps come home.

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 20, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Reposting from previous:

Re: Laing
Best wishes to Quintin for a quick recovery.

Friend of mine suffered a torn spleen in a car accident. Ended up having it removed, but luckily a spleen is one of those things you can live without. She came through it just fine and suffered no ill effects long term.

Posted by: tess2201 | March 20, 2009 11:07 AM

Posted by: tess2201 | March 20, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for keeping us updated to the minute, Tarik. Please pass on our concern and best wishes for Quintin.

Posted by: capsf4n | March 20, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Damn! I was so happy to have Quintin back for the stretch run. He adds grit and enthusiasm that has been missing from the team for some time. I hope he has a speedy recovery!

Posted by: firehorse | March 20, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I ruptured my spleen from hockey a few years back. It is not a pain that you've really experienced before. It is more nagging than painful. I bled into my belly and fainted on the drive home (miraculously on a small road at that point and put the car in park just before). The 2nd time I blacked out was right at the ER entrance when my friends took me. I have a 6" vertical scar down my belly and it was a long few months recovery from surgery because of the abdominal pain (apparently every little movement involves the ab muscles) ;)

Posted by: rh71 | March 20, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Can we send cards or something? I think we would all love to let Lainger know how much he means to us.

Posted by: _jordan | March 20, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Wow, thats crazy, here's to hoping we get to give him a shot when he get's back to 100% next season.

Posted by: superpaqman | March 20, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Jordan -

He'll probably end up recovering in Hershey. If you'd like to send him a card I'm sure the club would see that he gets it - that's what they do with fan mail. You can send it to

Quintin Laing
c/o Hershey Bears Hockey Club
550 W. Hersheypark Drive
Hershey, PA 17033

Posted by: OverTheBoards | March 20, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Get well Quintin!!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | March 20, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

yeah, I was going to say you could send it to the Capitals' offices at Kettler, they'd probably make sure a card reached Laing. But if he'll be going back to hershey (because his fmaily is there, right?), the Bears fan club is probably a better bet.

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 20, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts and prayers to Quintin for a speedy recovery. Be well-you will be missed!

Posted by: Terptwin | March 20, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

He still gets him name on the Cup if we win, right?

Posted by: oldtimehockey | March 20, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Dangit. I was really looking forward to seeing the guy play. Get well soon, Quentin. This is a bummer.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 20, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Forsberg tore his spleen a while back too - had it removed.

Get well QL.

Posted by: cupcrzy | March 20, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Good grief! Just when we get some momentum going heading into the stretch. Adding insult to (his) injury, he won't even be able to finish either season. I can't imagine how frustrated he must feel. My thoughts and prayers are with you Lainger!

Posted by: AmyS1 | March 20, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

hope all goes well,look forward 2 seeing u back on the ice! Get Well soon QL....

Posted by: TracyMD1 | March 20, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

You're in our thoughts..i'll say a prayer for you now for a full recovery.

Posted by: marklee15 | March 20, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Dang it, I was really looking forward to the intesity this guy brings to the Caps. That and I love his fang teeth! :)

GET WELL SOON Q! :)

Posted by: mikesgirl1 | March 20, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm really saddened to hear of Laing's injury. From a personal standpoint, that's a terrible thing to have happen to you. As far as his career is concerned, he, of ALL people, had earned a much better break than this. It's been my contention all along, that BB made a serious tacticle mistake by not including Laing on last season's playoff team. Not that I believe ( Even for one second ) that he intended to rectify his mistake THIS time around ----- because I don't. Sometimes life just isn't fair. God's speed Quinton. Get well soon.

Posted by: Puckguru | March 20, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

@Puckguru:

You remotely sounded like you were human with that comment. And then you ruined it with your comments about Bruce Boudreau. Were you considered for the coaching position and didn't get it? Just wondering. *snicker*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 20, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse