The Latest On Semin And A Teddy Roosevelt Sighting

Here's the latest from KCI:

*As you have probably read by now, Alexander Semin is questionable for tomorrow's game with an undisclosed injury. If he can't suit up, the Caps will have to make a call-up today because Viktor Kozlov (groin) is "very questionable," according to Coach Bruce Boudreau.

*Mike Green can tie a record for consecutive games with a goal by a defensemen at MSG. The only defenseman to have pulled that off is Mike O'Connell (Boston, 1983-84).

*The Caps can sweep the Rangers for the first time in franchise history with a win.

*New York has lost five in a row and has scored only six goals in the losing streak. "Help" may, however, be on the way. Sean Avery was assigned to the Hartford Wolfpack today, which is the first step in his road back to the NHL.

"You know they are going to start winning," Boudreau said of the NYR. "They are too good a hockey not to start winning. We just hope it's on the weekend."

*It's still looking like Michal Neuvirth - the subject of tomorrow's story in The Post - will get his first NHL start this weekend, perhaps in Tampa. It also might be his last start for a while.

The Caps have only one more set of back-to-back games and the plan is to ride Jose Theodore down the stretch.

*Doesn't look like Staffan Kronwall will play tomorrow, but it's possible - if not likely - that he gets into a game over the weekend.

"The six [defensemen] that played against Florida did a heck of a job, so it would be tough taking them out of the lineup," Boudreau said. "I think he'll be ready if we chose to use him" on the weekend.

The Caps now have eight healthy defensemen and Boudreau isn't sure how that's going to shake out - yet.

"Some guys like to know, 'Okay, I'm playing, I don't have to worry about it,'" he said. "And some guys don't like the pressure of, 'Uh-oh, I better play good or I won't be playing.'"

*Someone asked earlier if this is the father son-trip. Yes, it is. I believe some of the Dads are already here, but the rest of them will be joining the group in Tampa.

*George Washington and Teddy Roosevelt, the oversized racing presidential mascots from Nationals Park, are on the ice right now here at Kettler. People are taking pictures. Don't ask. And, no, I'm not asking, either.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 10, 2009; 1:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Semin A "Maybe" For Tomorrow
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

...Oh dear. They're missing Abe Lincoln, aren't they? I thought they had three racing mascots last time I went to a Nats game...

That's not good about Semin... even more not good about Kozlov.

I'm not sure I'd call Sean Avery "help," though... ... ...

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

"George Washington and Teddy Roosevelt, the oversized racing presidential mascots from Nationals Park, are on the ice right now here at Kettler."

Can they be signed to two-way contracts?

Posted by: Section117 | February 10, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

The Nats are going to start playing on ice? Surely it couldn't hurt.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 10, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Abe has a lower body injury and is day-today.

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | February 10, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

irockthered, you forgot about Tommy Jefferson. And Teddy, like Giroux and Fehr, can't finish.

Posted by: koalatek | February 10, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Should we look into taking a collection so that we can hire the top ice engineers in the world?

$25 to the cause? Who's in?

Posted by: SA-Town | February 10, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I thought Abe had a head injury...

Posted by: Greg S. | February 10, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

How did Neuvirth look up in Hershey?? Any news on Varlamov yet??

Posted by: dcox50 | February 10, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

From the last thread:

gr8one and OldFan,

Whats wrong with calling this crowd out every once in a while for railing on players when they have no idea what might be slowing them down? OldFan you list Clark on your tough list-- this crowd has been dumping on Clark all season for his weak play, then we find out he's been dpoing it all wiht only one hand all season, and we praise his toughness...

Semin's an elite player, and other teams go after him... we have no idea if his back is completely whacked form that crosscheck-- he couldn't even stand after it. he was on fire before his groin pull (VC ice?) then comes back and continues that pace until the Blues/crosscheck... then falls off. This group has no idea what the full story is...

I'd say 'blanket, unverifiable statements' is the norm here...

Posted by: capsfan7 | February 10, 2009 1:44 PM

I agreed with the general thrust of his argument; Its a little silly for people to question the toughness of an athlete, especially contemporary athletes when you consider the injury policies most clubs have (policies of non-disclosure.) Because of that, any criticism leveled is usually done so from a position of ignorance, but what I labeled foolish was his inclusion of every poster on this board in his ad hominem rant. He doesnt know oldfan or myself, or any of the other posters for that matter. So his blanket statement was foolish, and he deserves the opprobrium he'll likely receive.

Secondly, the post is itself contradictory. You excoriate a few posters for making statements about a player's perceived lack of heart, and then turn around and level the same charge against your fellow Caps fans. Both claims are equally foolish when you consider that neither can be substantiated, and if you are going to give a couple of posters grief, you deserve a similar amount for an almost identical transgression. Not a good post IMO.

Posted by: thegr8one | February 10, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

How funny and ironic to hear mention of Sean Avery and the mascots in the same post... Sure you didn't mix up who is getting signed by the Rangers and who is dancing around looking like a clown on the ice?

Posted by: Roose | February 10, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Re: Semin's Toughness Factor (from previous thread)... Since we don't have any data on why he's out (other than "upper body injury"), statements like he's whining about a hangnail are probably out of line. I'm not going to question why he's out, or say that he's a wuss for being out, when I don't know what's going on. I guarantee you he's tougher than I am!

Of course, if he doesn't play, we might miss out on seeing him stripped down to his skivvies again, if Marc Staal tries something stupid, but I'd just as soon not have Semin playing hurt... amusing fights notwithstanding, it's just not smart, with playoffs around the corner, to risk it.

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

If we need to make a call-up, make a call-up. Better that than rushing Kozlov back, need him though we do. I like the idea of calling up Bourque, tacking him on Steckel's left wing, and moving Flash to the second line.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 10, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@Roose - Actually, Avery is just playing for the Rangers' AHL affiliate; he's still under contract to the Stars, according to the article...

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@koalatek - JEFFERSON! That's who I left out! I couldn't remember if it was Jeff or Abe running around in an oversized head racing around the bases... :-p

I'd also like to see either Bourque or Giroux called up... we won't know, though, probably, until tomorrow... The Bears play the Hamilton Bulldogs tomorrow night in Hershey, though, so maybe something will be announced this afternoon...

@dcox50 Re: Neuvirth - From the write-up on Hershey's website: Michal Neuvirth made 25 saves, as he suffered his third loss of the season in goal. The BEARS went 1-for-3 on the power play and out-shot the Pirates 39-28.

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

brought from last...Tarik beat me....

My two little pennies.

Maybe we could agree that Semin is injury prone. He's missed a lot of games in his career: a rudimentary pull on his career numbers show that the Caps have played 300 games in the 3+ seasons since he's been here and he's missed 72 games so far. That works out to be about 1 in 4 games missed. I think Semin is one of those players that may always be a bit nicked up and miss games. I can't make any judgement on his toughness because I'm a big baby when I stub my toe. He's immensely talented but missing a quarter of a team's games could become a problem when management looks at contracts, salary caps, etc.

As far as tickets go: I'm STH and I've sold about a dozen games this year. (I've missed six and for the others I had two seats elsewhere since I had a friend in town.) I, personally, don't sell my ticket for face value or higher. I sell it for what I paid as a season ticket holder and I've met some some great fans who were very happy to get to a game at a reasonable price. Having said that, I don't sell my spare concert tickets for more than I paid, either. If you want to make some additional money on tickets, have at it, it's a free market. I'm not a huge fan of advertising "face value" as some kind of benefit in pricing - it rings hollow to me and probably to most fans.

Opinions, we all have 'em.

Posted by: saintex | February 10, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

SA-Town

That's not funny, that's sick (but funny)

Posted by: NJNJ | February 10, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Great, folks are irked with capsfan7, so now when I post I'll get blamed for his stuff.

-- capsfan77 --

Posted by: capsfan77 | February 10, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@saintex - Actually, Semin having missed roughly a quarter of the games he was under contract for may turn out to be one of those weird blessings in disguise. He won't be able to command the salary that his skill would otherwise merit, and we'll be able to keep him. I don't mind him being banged up from time to time, under those circumstances....

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, that came out badly.

What I was alluding to was Abe Palin the one responsible for the bad ice.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 10, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S. - Abe Pollin, Abe Lincoln... who can tell? ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm an out of towner so I'm usually happy going to as many games as possible but when I buy tix off stubhub or where ever I usually won't pay more unless it's playoff time

Posted by: cappies | February 10, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Abe is responsible for the bad ice? Now, I have heard it all.

Posted by: hock1 | February 10, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Lincoln couldn't fit a helmet over his top hat.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | February 10, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

The problems with the ice will be addressed when control of the VC is taken from Abe Polin by Ted. Until then things are what they are, our BBall team is the east coast Clippers, the food is disgusting at the VC, and the ice sucks. If the BBall players whine about being cold, Abe will turn up the heat, be happy its not 80 degrees in there on BBall days!

Posted by: majiksea | February 10, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

The reason the BBall players are cold in the VC is that they play in their underwear.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 10, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Repost,
Does anyone know if Uncle Ted is having any more family pack nights this year? I would love to take my kids to another game but since we have to get a hotel in DC due to the distance we drive that is the only way we can afford to go.

Posted by: PhilR | February 10, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Family Packs are sked for:

18 Feb vs. Montreal
3 Mar vs. Carolina
1 Apr vs. Isles

I don't know if the packs are soldout or not but you could call the Caps.

Posted by: saintex | February 10, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Due to Semin being injury prone, do you think it is possible we could try to deal him at the deadline? I know he is best buds with the three amigos and it would be very dangerous to mess with that chemistry and friendship they have.

But if a package of him, Morrison and a pick could land us Kovalchuck do you pull the trigger on it?

Posted by: ThePat | February 10, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Not showing them as sold out yet.

Here's the link for family packs:

Posted by: saintex | February 10, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

1) I don't think Ted taking control will necessarily fix the ice. The Hoyas and Wizards are still tenants. The Hoyas always play Sat afternoon. The Caps could have played Sunday but wanted Saturday night. Changing ownership won't fix that.
2) The Caps don't need a call-up if Semin can't play as the could just dress seven d-men. Not ideal, but they've all had three days rest plus now they get two days off before Saturday. I'm sure Ovechkin would happily double-shift.
3) JSchon needs to have a fine for people sniping at each other about prices for selling tickets.
4) I thought there was a fine for bashing Semin, $2800, so the hat needs to be passed. I agree he's injury-prone but I also imagine playing professional hockey is a pretty tough gig. My computer never hits me in the face as I develop cost estimates.
5) I will look for the Cap dads on Sunday. Hope they are accessible.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't trade Semin. Of course, that means nothing. I would be mildly surprised if he were traded, but not stunned. I think he a lot of value to the Caps and the chemistry.

Posted by: saintex | February 10, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@ saintex

I probably wouldn't trade him either, but just wondering other peoples thoughts on hypothetical since its a slow day.

Posted by: ThePat | February 10, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz - True, dat! ROFL!

@ThePat - I wouldn't pull the trigger on that trade.

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat | February 10, 2009 2:58 PM

Nope, based on Kovalchuk's next contract alone.

Posted by: Section117 | February 10, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl

It took me a second look to catch the meaning at the end of your #4. That's funny. I got boarded by my huge monitor while working on some training. I'm DTD. Tough gig.

Posted by: saintex | February 10, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Minor detail, but glancing at my schedule there are two more back-to-backs after this weekend (not one)... Feb 28-Mar 1 and Mar 16-17

Posted by: babaganoosh2 | February 10, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Because hockey is an international sport, Abe and TJ are being replaced with Vladimir Putin and Stephen Harper. Or a bear and a moose...

I actually think it would be way better than stupid fan tricks to have those four race around the ice duing an intermission. Especially if checking is encouraged/expected.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 10, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Saintex, I appreciate the info!! And if any of you season ticket holders have a Fir/Sat/Sun game you want to get rid of three or four tickets let me know!!

Posted by: PhilR | February 10, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

@saintex - You know you're not supposed to put your head down! It wasn't the monitor's fault. Sheesh - everybody blames the huge monitors for everything... ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

@oldtimehockey - Especially if they get chased by Slapshot - with a stick!

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Trading Semin, Mo and a pick for Kovalchuk is an interesting idea, but I doubt Atlanta would bite on that. It's just that I don't think Mo has that much value (due to salary vs performance). Semin's value is in the eye of the beholder, and the injury-prone factor plus the immaturity factor has an effect on that. Maybe if you added an almost-ready-for-NHL player, it might work. Maybe a guy like Osala and a #2 + Semin + Mo. That said, Kovalchuk only has 6 more pts than Semin this year, even with Semin missing time. You'd have to think however Kovalchuk would return to prior form skating on a line with Ovechkin.

I'm not bashing Semin in this note. Also, no fines were listed for speculating on trades. I'm also not advocating trading for Kovalchuk - just speculating. Some people get really, really sensitive at any trade talk. It's called the "Hot Stove," and it's done in fun.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I like some "what ifs". Based on what we know now, and our biased opinions, pick which of the following you'd take as an owner/fan with no salary cap implications and a three-year plan; just player abilities. This DOES not mean I think anyone should be traded, it's purely for fun. No gambling allowed:

Flash for Hossa
Malkin or Datysuk
Green for Lidstrom
Huet for Theodore
Semin for Vanek
Parise for Semin
Nash or Kovalchuk
Crosby or Kessel
Ovechkin or Ovechkin

Keep your hands to yourselves and your eyes on your own papers.

Posted by: saintex | February 10, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

irockthered - our current Slapshot or the crazy one from Dr. Phil?

Posted by: superpaqman | February 10, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@superpaqman - Either/or would be fine with me, but our current one is a blast. :-)

@saintex - Given the choices you list?

- Flash
- Datsuyk (mild preference)
- Green
- Theodore
- Semin
- Semin
- Nash (assuming Rick)
- Kessel (Crosby whines too much!)
- Ovechkin (duh!)

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@IRTR...homer!

Kidding. Yes, it's Rick Nash, not Graham Nash.

Posted by: saintex | February 10, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

You've got Graham Nash and David Crosby listed, but I'm not seeing Stephen Stills or Neil Young. Stills is famous for his hockey song, "Pass to the One You're With," while Young is noted for being critical of Southern franchises.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

@thegr8one:

You're still not nearly as tough as any professional hockey player, save for Crosby.

Posted by: notfadeaway | February 10, 2009 3:04 PM

I dont know. you have to be prety tough to play football at the level that I did. I played 4 games with a separated shoulder! That has to count for something. Also, Ive broken my leg, had two broken noses and a I had a dislocated knee cap.

Ive never played hockey, so I cant tell you which sport is tougher, but I can say that there are far more serious injuries suffered in football than hocket (serious being torn knees, separated shoulders etc.) Ill say this though, Id rather get hit by Ray Lewis than by a puck in the eye.

Posted by: thegr8one | February 10, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@saintex - I like Flash; I always have. He and Green are too cool to trade. As for Nash, the Edmonton Oilers have a prospect named Riley Nash... He's a 19-year-old center from Consort, Alberta.

@tominfl1 - You left off McGuinn and Hillmann... they used to play with Crosby, too, but they ditched him for being a pain. ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Consort, Alberta? A province named after the Queen's consort and a town there named Consort? Brilliant. Canucks.

Posted by: saintex | February 10, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

@waitingsince75

from previous post: I was wrong regarding the "face value", I apologize.

Posted by: mauree | February 10, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

@saintex - Yup! Consort, Alberta. It's about a four-hour drive southeast of Edmonton, and (adding to the amusement value) has a Dowager Avenue through the center of town.

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Semin will rise again and smite his detractors. Lo...

Posted by: capsfan7 | February 10, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Semin will rise again and smite his detractors. Lo...

Posted by: capsfan7 | February 10, 2009 3:49 PM

They shall be smote!!!!!!

Posted by: thegr8one | February 10, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Do you think the former presidents were practicing for a skate on the 18th? Seems appropriate - George's birthday would be a few days earlier.

Posted by: 1Harbour | February 10, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

@thegr8one - Smote, smited, smitten... one of the three, anyway... ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@ getting hit by a puck in the eye

Im sure everybody has seen the nhl commercial with Coburn, got hit in the eye, 88 stitches. Now thats nuts!

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 10, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

@thegr8one - Smote, smited, smitten... one of the three, anyway... ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 4:06 PM

lol. Smote is my favorite past participle! It does for me what Clutterbuck does for Boo!

Posted by: thegr8one | February 10, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

irock: McGuinn said the problem with Crosby is he was always eight miles high.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

saintex

We can't complain. We have New York, New York. At least they "changed it up" a bit.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 10, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

@ getting hit by a puck in the eye

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 10, 2009 4:07 PM

I remember watching that game live and thinking, that guy shouldve worn a visor! Not to make light of the situation, but if I played, Id definitely wear one. A mouthpiece too!

Posted by: thegr8one | February 10, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

@thegr8one - I love the word "smote," LOL! It's such a great word. But I love word play more, and so I use "smitten" as the past participle of choice for "to smite," since it works so well as a double entendre.

And actually, "smit" would be the other past participle, not "smited..." my bad!

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

If you guys dont mind me going off topic here, What's the going rate for season tickets for the nosebleeds?

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 10, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1 - There is that... :-p

Re: visors - I wonder how long it will be before the NHL makes them mandatory equipment? A lot of players wear them now, but not everybody, and it's always seemed to me, with guys out there capable of hitting 100+ mile per hour slapshots, that eye protection ought to be high on these guys' lists of priorities! And it isn't just the puck you have to watch out for... I wouldn't want a hockey stick in the eye, either!

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

season tix for upper corners comes out to about 20 bucks a ticket per game.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | February 10, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Nik Antropov is on his way out of town, according to Toronto Maple Leafs president and general manager Brian Burke. Burke told host Bill Watters on radio station AM 640 in Toronto yesterday he does not think the forward has played well enough this NHL season to warrant a new contract offer. Antropov becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1, but even before Burke made his remarks, it was thought Antropov was one of the Leafs most likely to be moved by the NHL trade deadline on March 4. It is likely Burke will try to trade him rather than get nothing for him when he becomes a free agent. "From my take, at this point, I don't see any reason to put a new contract offer on the table," Burke ..."

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 10, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan

Thanks

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 10, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

@Baildog, from previous thread:

More than once I have heard opposing fans comemnt that VC has some of the best in-game entertainment they have seen. But it seems liek this year, there is way less of it.

I've seen these videos this year, quite a bit. They don't play them every single time, but they do more often than not. Plus they also do the Funny Follies vids and a few other things. I've also been to a couple of other barns this year and would agree that VC's in-game entertainment is top-notch.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 10, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Re: In-game entertainment - The Caps actually took two awards this year from the Information Display and Entertainment Association. Here's the link. We took Best In-Game Feature for "Inked" and Best Show Open for "Rock the Red".

Our in-game entertainment is absolutely the best I've seen thus far. I absolutely LOVE the "Inked" video, and "Unleash the Fury!" is a big favorite as well.

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

@ludeman95 - I paid just under $900 for my seat, and it's been one of the best investments I've ever made. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@ludeman,

season tickets are great. I happen to have a single - no friends! - and so I've been able to sneak a bit lower in the section since I'm and oddball. I'm in row F on the corner the Caps shoot twice and it's about $800. The nice thing is that the Caps do an interest free payment plan and it only hits me up for about $58 a month. They are very good at customer service and if you miss games you can bring your ticket to the next game and trade it in for another game (not the same seat but still a free ticket). There is no better deal in D.C. sports. If you want to be on the sides you'll pay more but I'll tell you that 413 on the corner (cheapest) has a lovely view.

Posted by: saintex | February 10, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Hossa (no guarantees of Flash's upside yet)
Malkin (best young player not named Ovi)
Green (based on age)
Theodore (w/fingers crossed)
Semin
Semin
Kovalchuk (based on nationality)
Crosby or Kessel (Crosby has the edge in talent, but not in heart or personality, so grudgingly Crosby)
Ovechkin AND Ovechkin

Posted by: Baildog | February 10, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Neuvirth looked rusty in his start in Hershey on Sunday evening (although the Bears didn't play superb defense in front of him either). Varlemov hasn't been on the ice for quite sometime now - beginning to look like he's injury prone. I'd like to see Giroux given more of a 'regular' chance in the Caps line-up - this guy can really put the puck in the net and BB certainly is aware of that.

Posted by: hersheybearfan | February 10, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thegr8one | February 10, 2009 3:30 PM"

I've played over 1,000 games of amateur hockey, some in non-checking leagues. I've had both shoulders separated - one in a non-checking league. I've also had cracked ribs.

I also stopped the blade of an opponent's stick 1/2 inch from my the corner of my eye. I started wearing a full face mask shortly after.

There have been pro players who lost an eye playing hockey.

So I think there are serious injuries suffered in hockey.

Posted by: rw-c | February 10, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

By saying "I also stopped the blade of an opponent's stick 1/2 inch from my the corner of my eye" I mean I stopped it with my face --the corner of the blade actually split me open 1/2 inch from my eye.

Posted by: rw-c | February 10, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I thought Abe had a head injury...

Posted by: Greg S. | February 10, 2009 2:13 PM

that's f'n funny

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 10, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

When I played in a rec league, I had a combination visor/cage, and it was annoying. My very first game, I was thinking about taking it off, when someone crosschecked me in front of the crease, and I fell on my face, then looked up just in time to catch a slapshot from the point right between the eyes. Had I not had a visor, would have definitely been at least a broken nose, and I never thought about taking it off again.

If I got paid millions to play, I probably would play without one. If I'm paying to play, no way.

Posted by: Baildog | February 10, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I've been hit with a shot twice. Once was a wrister that hit about an inch under the eye. That took 4 stiches and a lot of ice to lose the shiner. I also took a slapshot directly in the mouth, which took a bunch more stiches and some dental work. Let's just say that the second one created a second "red line" on the ice. (And yes, now I wear a full cage...)

Its a rough sport. I don't doubt that anyone who plays at the NHL level is "tough", but I think the knock on some players (Semin and Kozlov have been some of them) is that they don't always give the best effort, or won't play with a nagging injury, or whatever. I think those kind of criticisms are really hard to prove unless you hear it from the sources in the room. (Think about the universal praise from the players at having Avery gone from Dallas.) I don't have any sense that any of the current Caps, including the Russians, are unwanted in the locker room. Maybe Tarik has heard some complaints here and there, but I doubt we'll ever see them, and that's probably for the best. So, give Semin a pass. I'm going to assume he's hurt, and its not that he's afraid of the fight he has to have with Colton Orr (kidding...)

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 10, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Hossa - one of the best in the league.
Datysuk - best in the league.
green - best offensive power from the blue line.
theo - huet is the most overrated goalie since kolzig.
semin
Parise
Kovalchuk
Crosby
Ovechkin

Posted by: richmondphil | February 10, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I only play in adult leagues, and I wear a metal face cage, but boy am I glad i do. I got hit with an elbow after right in the face juking a D-man . The impact dented my face cage in and split my eye open along my eyebrow. Ended up needing 5 stitches, but I got the bleeding to stop so I could finish the game.

OK I am done patting myself on the back now.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | February 10, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Go SJ Sharks!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 10, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Hi, I am coming to the April 3rd game alone and looking to hopefully hook up with some other fans. Yes I am from Buffalo, and it's the game vs the Sabres. I am a Sabres season ticket holder and honestly I've sold 99% of my tickets to finance this trip! I am a die hard Caps fan. I only missed one pre-season game that wasn't even on radio. Trust me I drive people here nuts! I am flying down and will be in the city April 1st - 4th. Thanks for anyone willing to contact me! hannah@monkeyflips.com

Posted by: hannah8 | February 10, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the answers about the tickets everyone! This year my wife and I purchased the Original 6 pack for Sec. 424 and tix to the two bobblehead games. We just got our tickets to the last game at home in Sec. 104 with the Dewar's Club pregame voucher. This is the second year we've done the Dewar's Club deal. So that's 9 game's I'll be going to this year and that seems like alot, I can't imagine going to 41, that would be amazing!

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 10, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

predictions for tonight's game? I think the Sharks will win.

Posted by: mauree | February 10, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

My first boss once told me "there are no awards for perfect attendance" . Very few NHL teams have won both the President's trophy and the Stanley Cup. Cal Ripken notwithstanding, I'm trusting that Semin is doing what he needs to do, whether severely hurt, moderately hurt, or just needing a break. He was the best on the Caps in the playoffs last year and I expect nothing less this year (Ovi not withstanding).

Posted by: fehrrocks | February 10, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

from previous as well

sasha probably hurt something in the game against the red wings when he hit a rut in the ice, sprawled, and bowled datsyuk down by accident. and may i say, how nice of datsyuk to help semin back up. doubt seriously that you'd see crosby stopping to help an opposition player to his feet. all the semin-bashing that goes on here reminds me of spiteful kids on a playground- pretty childish.

added: fix the effing ice. i'm tired of seeing our guys get hurt because of ruts and potholes!

Posted by: spinner-33 | February 10, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

well this is one hell of a game.

Posted by: mauree | February 10, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Huge game tomorrow. The Caps can hold onto the #2 seed with a win over the NYR. The NJD have the hapless NYI -- almost a giveme.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 10, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Bullseye...Thank You San Jose!

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 10, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Sharks! ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 10, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow, LA Kings are playing really well right now..

Posted by: rachel216 | February 10, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

If the Caps make it to the finals, lets hope that someone knocks the Sharks out in the first 3 rounds because they are easily the best team in the league. 4 goals in the 3rd. The Sharks have finally come of age, and their blue line is solid come playoff time, barring injuries. Scary.

Posted by: oo7 | February 10, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have any pictures of Jose Theodore at the ESPN zone they wanna share. I'm from montreal and a huge Theodore fan.

Posted by: Theo60 | February 10, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Did GMGM trade Nylander for the Running Pres and get ripped off by not getting Abe too?

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | February 10, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

@theo60--

I was not able to attend the event with Theo at ESPN, but if you go to the Washington Caps website, they have clips from the event online. Its number 3 right now on the headline/video part. Hope that helps any.

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | February 10, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

@theo60 - The only shots I have are from my cellphone, and they're not fabulous, but I'm willing to share if you really want them. My e-mail address is irockthered {at} gmail {dot} com - drop me a line! :-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

@all you hockey players - Wow, y'all are nuts! ;-) I wouldn't even consider playing without face protection. Not a snowball's chance in the Phone Booth after a basketball game. :-p My hat's off to all y'all for your scars. I'm suitably impressed.

Now to get my cat to quit kneading my arm while I'm trying to type...! OW! Pointy pitons!

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered

thanks i'll take them. my email is jose_is_hot so i'll email u if u want and u can just respond with the pics.

Posted by: Theo60 | February 11, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

I used to play without a shield or face mask. The Fairfax league requires full face (I hate it), and the Reston at least a shield (better, but still didn't like it).

The plexi keeps fogging up and gets scratched really easily. Makes it difficult to see. I think it's more dangerous with the shield than without it.

Amazingly, with all the hockey I've played, and it's a lot, I still have all my original chicklettes. Came close a bunch of times. Did a flip and landed on my face (marked improvement in looks after that one), teeth through my lips a few times. Most of my injuries were to shoulder and ribs (broke 3 ribs 2 different times, and the greater tuberosity), fingers, and knee caps (that really hurt). Had some pretty good contusions, but that goes with the game. That puck is hard and it hurts like heck when it hits something that isn't padded - or in one case when it went through the pads.

Long story even longer, if I could play in these leagues without any mask, I'd do it.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 11, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

@The_Stanley_Cup

thanks i had watched it. just looking for some extra photos.

Posted by: Theo60 | February 11, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

thegr8one:
Boo is smoted with Clutterbuck's name ... ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 11, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Semin stays on the Capitals. 'nuff said.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 11, 2009 2:01 AM | Report abuse

The Rangers are a really mediocre team. They might not even make the playoffs even after building a points lead from a fast start.

Anybody want Wade Redden now? He is terrible.

Why is Nylander on the top line?

Posted by: JSchon | February 11, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Oh, the Rangers were built to be a defensively minded/responsible team with great goaltending.

Anybody want to trade systems? Rosters?

Posted by: JSchon | February 11, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Wow, somebody woke up on the confrontational side of the bed this morning!!

Posted by: PhilR | February 11, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

...don't need to ask, know, it's President's Day coming up...that was really pretty simple, eh?

Posted by: soloman5000 | February 11, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse