The Lineup For Buffalo

First look at the ice this morning at KCI and here's who will be facing the Buffalo Sabres for tonight's preseason opener.

Forwards:
Laich-Backstrom-Knuble
Giroux-Morrison-Clark
Bourque-Gustafsson-A. Gordon
Finley-Beagle-Pinizzotto

*Beagle and Gustafsson have since swapped jerseys and line combinations. So you could see either tonight.

Defense (in no particular order):
Pothier, Alzner, Schultz, Carlson, Sloan, Collins

Goaltenders:
Varlamov
Bacashihua

By Katie Carrera  |  September 17, 2009; 10:06 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: Caps' No. 3 Not Too Shabby
Next: Notes From Day 5: Who Gets the 'A?'

Comments

Schultz's latest twitter says he plans on "bangin around some Buffalo players tonight"

hey now

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 17, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Looks good to me...just make sure Semin doesnt sniff the ice in the preseason....we're just one love tap in the back away from LTIR...

I kid Semin...I kid...if you read this, you da man....

Posted by: SA-Town | September 17, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

So great to see a lineup again. Welcome back, hockey.

Posted by: baldinga | September 17, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I am looking at the line up and saying to myself, this would not be a bad team. The CAPS are so deep this season.

Posted by: adhardwick | September 17, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Is this game being broadcast in any way?

Posted by: spacecadetkid | September 17, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Are those the actual lines combos starting or just who is going and an educated guess?

Either way I agree with adhardwick, we are deep this season.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 17, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

To answer rh71 from the previous thread: On the NHL awards day prior to the results coming out the Experts on the NHL Network said that Chara was probably going to win the Norris this season as a lifetime achievement award. They said that Lidstrom had of course won it many times and Green was a candidate for the 1st time and most likely has others in his future.

BTW, Chara was ABUSED in the Carolina series and was not nursing any injuries. The speed was killing him. My point, Chara can't hit what he can't catch. Players in the playoffs started figuring out that all they had to do was dump it and race him to the puck.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 17, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I am going to be honest. I am bored with the Chara vs Green comparison, because there isn't one. They play two totally different types of games. I would rather have Green than Chara if I had to choose. Luckily I don't have to, I am lucky enough to have Greenie on my team.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 17, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

This is the only link I have found to liten to the game so far and it is a Buffalo feed. http://www.wgr550.com/

Posted by: RussC | September 17, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Chara and Green are apples and oranges. If I was asked Chara or Green, I'd say both.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 17, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Those are interesting lines to say the least. I thought BB would keep the lines he had for the intra squad scrimmages. I would think he would want to see how the Ovie, Backstrom Knuble line looks against real competition and the same with the Morrisson line.

Hopefully, Varly will bounce back after the poor performance yesterday.

Posted by: 4capitals | September 17, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

If I could take any two defensemen in hockey for the next three years, I think I'd take Pronger and Green with Phaneuf as back-up.

Pronger and Green would be awesome.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 17, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Kolbe do the preseason games on www.washcaps.com last season?

Posted by: Boo- | September 17, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

So just to confirm...no one is broadcasting this game on tv?!? I know that Saturday's game will be on the NHL network, but I guess tonight is just a listening event.

Posted by: NatyBG | September 17, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I can't find tonight's game broadcast in video anywhere. Also, Saturday's game in on CSN-CH(HD) not NHL Network.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 17, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I know some of you like him and support his cause, but I am still waiting for this club to break the logjam on the blue line and trade Jeff Schultz or Milan Jurcina.

These are average defensemen and poor with the puck in their own zone.

That has not changed in the past 2 years and there is little reason to believe it will change in 2009-2010.

These players are what they are.

I don't see any upside in them any longer.

Schultz is never going to be a player that uses his size to advantage in the corners and will continue to try and be a finesse player even though that is not where his skills lie.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 17, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I think Jurcina is fine. Something's gotta give on the D line, and it'll probably just be injuries.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 17, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the stupid question. I have Comcast HD cable and can't find CSN-CH. Any hints? Would love to watch the game Saturday night.

Posted by: sldyer1 | September 17, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if Comcast Cable offers other city's Comcast Sportsnet Channels or not. Directv provides CSN-CH (Chicago) as part of its expanded sports package. Now once the season starts, unless I have NHL Center Ice those channels broadcasts of the games will be blacked out. The only one that won't in CSN Mid-Atlantic because of regional coverage.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 17, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm impressed if preseason hockey in Chicago can get enough viewers to justify a broadcast. I would certainly watch all Caps preseason hockey games; hopefully the fan base grows enough to attract local TV coverage in the future.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | September 17, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Dump n' Chase says that they are going to stream the audio with Steve Kolbe for tonights game but nothing about video.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 17, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

What is a Bacashihua?

Posted by: lornemyoung | September 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

lornemyoung: He signed with the Bears this year. He was a 1st round pick in 01 by the Stars but has only played a handfull of games in the NHL.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 17, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

IMO it is just owner preference when it comes to broadcasting preseason games. Two years ago when the fan base was at its lowest in years Ted had a couple of preseason games no TV to draw interest (of course that's my opinion). MSG isn't full but the Rangers are having all of their preseason games on the MSG channel. I caught a game two nights in a row on MSG. I might have said this is another thread, but the Caps are on MSG both times they play the Rangers. If you don't have Directv go to a local sports bar because they'll most likely have Directv and they'll probably put the game on one of the TVs for you. There was a watering hole in Northern VA a lot of people on here talked about last season. That might be a good one to visit.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 17, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

That second line surprises me. Giroux and Morrison are both high-speed breakaway guys. I wonder what Gabby's shooting for having them on the same line. Of course I havent seen a whole lot of either one... Speaking of, I actually haven't seen a whole lot of him either, YOW!

Posted by: large23220 | September 17, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Giroux....high speed? Are we watching the same Giroux?

Posted by: perspective6 | September 17, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I like the line up. give plenty of ice to all the guys on the bubble and the new additions. Why even play Ovi or Semin once during the preseason? They should make like LT on the Chargers and give them the preseason off - don't let 'em risk any injuries. (That said, I'm sure Ovi is dying to get out there...)

Posted by: CAP-lanta | September 17, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I liked how Alzner and Carlson played as a pair in the scrimmage, with Carlson more offense-minded and Alzner more responsible, stay-at-home. Varly better step it up, or he could be in a chocolate-colored jersey for the start of the season. Before the camps, I would have said that is impossible, the only question is whether he is 1 or 2. Not so sure now.

Posted by: zmega | September 17, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

you may be able to stream at atdhe.net

Posted by: ejohnsto | September 17, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Anyone having trouble accessing the audio feed? Says "The station is currently full"

Posted by: ralCapsFan | September 17, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse