Theodore Day-to-Day

Goaltender Jose Theodore is day-to-day with back spasms, George McPhee said moments ago. The GM also said he doesn't expect to make a decision on whether to recall a goalie from the minors until tomorrow or Saturday.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 15, 2009; 9:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Top Sharks to Snap Four-Game Skid
Next: Caps 4, Sharks 1

Comments

thats a shame, theodore looked strong tonignt

Posted by: wowkanut | October 15, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Nicky looked good tonight, too. Great on the PK.

Posted by: crooks_c | October 15, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

POSTGAME THOUGHTS:
A solid 60-minute effort and both goalies looked good. Nice to see good work in the defensive zone. Still a couple things to tighten up but not taking away from the great effort and victory.

Aucoin was feisty and all over the place. He deserves to be playing more than Boyd Gordon.

Nice to see Ovie dent the net again.

Nothing more to be said - a solid victory over a fantastic team in the West. Great work.

Time to step and de-claw the Predators on Saturday night.

Ice Breakers Goal Shakers

Posted by: Jonathan6 | October 15, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

1) Thanks to fanohock1 for the ticket to Monday's game. It was a true experience to fly into Reagan and then figure out that whole Metro thing to get to the hotel and then the game. Had dinner at Greene Turtle. Going to a hockey game and being surrounded by Caps fans for 1st time in 14 yrs - priceless.
2) I agree w/fanohock1 - it's shocking to hear fans jumping on Green and Semin. Semin might well get 500 goals in the NHL and Green might well go down as one of the best offensive defensemen of the generation. Patience, they say, is a virtue.
3) Was nice to get back to Baltimore/DC area for first time in 8 yrs. Yes, it is different than Florida. Try 47 degrees leaving DC this afternoon and 80 degrees outside now at 10:20 pm in Orlando.
4) BMo looks better and better each game. Pokerface was right.
5) My bet w/freakinandpeakin. I'm not sure I "lose" on the Aucoin bet. If he gets 40 pts, I think I win.
5A) How did Aucoin come back w/o reverse waivers?
6) Theo was great Monday night and Varly was great in relief tonight.
7) Clark still isn't bringing much.
8) I like Poti. As I've pointed out, he's the best D on the team at PK clearing. Took a stick in the face and came right back out tonight.
9) Hope it doesn't take 8 more yrs to get back up there.
10) See you CapsFan75 when you come down. Anyone else for Jan 12th and 13th in FL?

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 15, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

That was as good of a game as the team has played all season. Theodore was off to a solid start again; the goal was a crazy snipe that he didn't have a chance on. Hopefully he remains the starter when he is able to return (I am assuming that will not be until next week, to be safe). It will also give Varly a relatively easy game (against the Preds) to hopefully rebuild some of his confidence, as Nashville have only scored two goals in their past 3. I think that Semin set the tone for the game; he was everywhere to start the game and he drew at least two of the penalties in the fist period. BMo and ShaMo are also impressing me this season; hopefully they stay healthy and can continue to contribute in the poositive ways they have been. Much more complete effort from the Caps tongiht, which hopefully continues.

Posted by: Aldred15 | October 15, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Aldred15 | October 15, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post

Posted by: Aldred15 | October 15, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I thought Nicky made Big Joe look like a chump with his stick work tonight... took the puck away from him or caused a turnover on more than one occasion. Great effort by everyone all around.

Thought I'd get my two cents in before someone started complaining...

Posted by: snakegriffin | October 15, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

HOT tamales, that's what I like to see! They played very well tonight, every one of them.

Rough night for Theo with the back spasms, but he looked great before he went out. I didn't see it happen, but I did see Poti - it was a shot from Dany Heatley that did that, not a stick in the face. Glad he came back out!

Posted by: irockthered | October 15, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Everybody is saying Theo looked sharp...I was sitting right behind him and that first shot that went five hole-ish almost trickled into the net. That would have been a deflating goal. And, the goal he did give up, high on the catching glove side - should have been a save if he moves in to the shooter to cut the angle and squares up.

He had an Ok/Good night...Varlamov was exceptional in relief, albeit not tested like Theo was.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | October 15, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

@Political_Stratgst - Dude - glass half full, glass half empty. This whole board has been 3/4 empty on the Caps glass all week. Don't rain on the parade now!!!

Posted by: irockthered | October 15, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - did you ask McPhee what this status is with Nylander and will he ever suit up in a Cap jersey again? Did his banishment from wearing a Caps jersey begin after game 3 in the NYR series? If so, what happen.

C'mon Tarik, be the man and ask some tough questions!

Posted by: puckman | October 15, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

it was almost a perfect game for the Caps but no need to go nuts after one regular season game... if they can keep this up for a couple weeks then we'll have a reason to go nuts

today was the 20th anniversary of one of the greatest moments not only in hockey but in all of sports.

Posted by: joek443 | October 15, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Ran into Nyls today during the 1st intermission. He was sporting his usual stylish Euro suit. Of course, I asked him where he was heading (he knew I wasn't referring to the closest keg) and he just kept telling me that he can't say anything. He didn't look very pleased when I brought it up which is understandable. As a Swede, I do feel bad for him. He's always suited up for our national team, regardless of tourny prestige. Cheers Nyllet, I hope you find a club that can make use of your skills. Round and round we go.

Posted by: jakopz | October 15, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

The Caps played great tonight. To whoever above said Aucoin was all over the place,he was getting crushed. He got leveled 5 times at least. And let the guy fly right up the middle of the ice for the Sharks goal, he might have been coverng for Fehr on the wing so I wont blame the goal all on him. Steckel much better on the 4th line. When Flash is healthy these are the lines id like to see

Ovi-BMo-Knuble
Flash-Backs-Semin
Fehr-Laich-Clark
Laing-Steckel-Bradley

Boyd the scratch.

Posted by: ThePat | October 15, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Glad the boys did well today.

The "Trade Semin" lobby can just shut up.

Nice relief job by Varly.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 15, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Went to my first game this season, first since game 1 against the pens last season. Holy cow, the place was quiet tonight. Seems the fans were antsy or nervous or something. I guess a 4-game losing streak does that to you.

On to the game:
The power play still sucks. Too much standing around, waiting for the perfect pass. Still too damn cutesy.

We had 3 or 4 penalties but noone here seems to mind that. Penalties are part of the game, as long as you kill it!

Fehr still plays like a little girl. 6-4 power forward my ass. If Acoin can hustle, why can't he?

Semin was all over the ice. A solid game for him. Backs had a few giveaway but he is just getting better every game.

Stecks is finding his legs. Not so much Clark.

Posted by: Andoy | October 16, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Nah the trade semin crew will just morph.

Trade X people will always be around so long as they think taking an obscure/flat out dumb opinion will make them stand out as an edgy hockey expert.

I had a review at work this morning so I can't wait to watch the highlights tonight(and possibly fall asleep to the sweet archive)

Posted by: trunkenmath | October 16, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Political_Stratgst
hey buddy. if fehr hadn't slacked off and skated hard the whole shift; he was a step away from poke checking away that goal that went in on theo. but no, he was staring off into space.

that's on the guy aka fehr playing defense. if you don't think so, please don't write anymore. you can't expect to leave a guy like that towards the center open or backdoor and say, oh hey the goalie's gotta square up and challenge the shooter when he's moving with the puck as it's getting passed to his blind side.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 16, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

if any of you thinks one great regular season game solves all their problems, you are very naive. it's a very long season and whether you like it or not, this team lacks defense and toughness.

And you gotta give up something to get something. Who would you rather give up, OV, Backs or Semin to get a stud d-man? the answer is Semin and you ain't gonna nothing for guys like Fehr.

Posted by: joek443 | October 16, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse